Electric String Instruments (More specifically cello)

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Killamus

Electric String Instruments (More specifically cello)

Postby Killamus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:52 am UTC

Hello,
This Friday I'm going to be purchasing a Cello. I loved playing it in elementary and High school, and now that I have a solid job, I think it's time I indulged myself. However, I have a few questions for those of you who play string instruments. A friend of mine referred me to this site: kkmusicstore.com, and I'm trying to decide between these two cellos:

http://www.kkmusicstore.com/cecilio-cco ... -p-14.html
And
http://www.kkmusicstore.com/cecilio-ele ... p-482.html

The friend who referred me to this site has noted the quality of the cellos, so I'm not overly concerned about that. However, I'm wondering: Is there a sound difference using an electric cello over a normal one? The idea of being able to plug in earphones to my cello and play silently (Or near so) is very, very alluring. Also, the style of the electric cello is well, just awesome. However if there's a sound or performance difference, I would get the regular acoustic cello.

Any thoughts?

ChocloManx

Re: Electric String Instruments (More specifically cello)

Postby ChocloManx » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:54 am UTC

Electric cello definitively sounds different than an acoustic one This is a good example.. It's not a huge difference, though.
You should try one out at a music store, even if it's not the exact same model you want to buy.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Killamus

Postby Killamus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:25 am UTC

ChocloManx wrote:Electric cello definitively sounds different than an acoustic one This is a good example.. It's not a huge difference, though.
You should try one out at a music store, even if it's not the exact same model you want to buy.

While I'd love to do that, I live in the middle of hick-town no-where - No music shop around here sells or even rents electric instruments (Sans guitars).
Heck, only one place even sells orchestral string instruments.
I do like that link that you sent me, however. The difference in sound seems rather small, from what I can tell, and based on the videos I've seen floating around Youtube, I think I like it a bit better then the acoustic (I can feel the burn of a cellist's gaze on me now).

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:43 pm UTC

Of course there's a sound difference. They both can sound great, though, so I wouldn't automatically choose an acoustic over an electric. It depends on what you plan to use it for.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Killamus

Postby Killamus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:34 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:Of course there's a sound difference. They both can sound great, though, so I wouldn't automatically choose an acoustic over an electric. It depends on what you plan to use it for.

I'm planning on using it mainly at home, however, I live in a town house, so there is a big issue with noise (Especially because I'm up in the middle of the night). I don't think I'll ever really use it for playing for others, I just like playing.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

Cool. I'd suggest going with the electric, then. Good luck! String instruments are tough, but awesome.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Return to “Music”