Receiver and wireless speakers

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

emceng

Receiver and wireless speakers

Postby emceng » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:44 pm UTC

Ok, not sure if this is best asked here, in the Hardwarre forum, or the Help forum, but here goes. I'm looking for a receiver for a home stereo. I want it to be used with my TV, 360, and PS3 - so need HDMI. I looked at Best Buy, and they were completely useless besides offering to sell me $1000 package deals. Price isn't a huge problem, but I want something that works.

I am also considering going with wireless speakers. Due to the layour of my living room, a wireless system would make the most sense. Question: Will it interfere with my wireless network? Also, I was considering hooking something up through my computer. I figure if I setup wireless speakers, I would also like to be able to play music from my computer anywhere in the house, not just with my standard speakers.

So with all that said - anyone have some suggestions? Should I ask a different forum - or a different website?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Re: Receiver and wireless speakers

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:02 pm UTC

If your wireless speakers and your wifi are on the same frequencies they could interfere, similar to how a microwave can interfere with wifi. If they do, some routers can use 5.8ghz instead of 2.4ghz that could allow you to not experience any interference.

aldonius

Postby aldonius » Mon May 09, 2011 8:08 am UTC

Related to the "play music from computer": Something I've been playing around with recently is going through an Apple Airport Express (3.5mm/optical audio output, if you can get one for cheap then it's an easy way to stream out of iTunes) and it will connect directly to the existing wifi network.

evilspoons

Postby evilspoons » Mon May 09, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

Some new receivers (Denon and harmon/kardon, off the top of my head... I think they're the same company) have "Airplay" circuitry built in, i.e. they can act as a device that iTunes can play to in the same manner as the Airport Express.

Keep in mind wireless speakers will need their own power sources and internal amplifiers so your "Oh me yarm $3000" receiver isn't going to be able to do jack squat about audio quality at these remote locations.

Have you considered in-wall wiring? You can even do in-wall speakers too...

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon May 09, 2011 7:27 pm UTC

I don't want to do in wall wiring. Mostly due to the effort, and partly due to not knowing how long I will continue living in this house.

Basicly I find it hard to believe that there isn't an easy way for me to create a true 'media center' where I can have better quality sound than my TV speakers, and tie it in with my PC in another room.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

evilspoons

Postby evilspoons » Mon May 09, 2011 7:33 pm UTC

emceng wrote:better quality sound than my TV speakers...
...tie it in with my PC in another room.

Well, if you just want 'better than TV speakers', that's quite easy to do.

I believe you are working towards two different problems here. Get the audio system set up, THEN integrate it with your PC. There are a zillion ways to accomplish the PC integration. As I've already mentioned, Airplay (or an Airport Express) makes it easy to get iTunes over to your home theatre. On the other hand, you could purchase something like a Boxee Box or put together a dedicated low-power home theater PC running XBMC (or Boxee, for that matter) for about $300 and stream your music library from your PC or an external hard drive or whatnot, in addition to gaining the ability to play all sorts of high-def video formats on your TV.

The new AMD E-350 CPU/GPU combo chip is quite interesting - it's very similar to Atom/ION, only more powerful (most of the time) and better at decoding video. I can buy one locally for $150, throw RAM in it for $40, put it in a case for $60, hard drive for $50, remote for $15, install Ubuntu or use a XBMC distro, and you're up and running. Plug 'er into whatever home theater you've set up.

Return to “Music”