Transcription Request

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

dhokarena56

Transcription Request

Postby dhokarena56 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:21 pm UTC

I am really bad at music theory, but I am writing a novel, and I need Bob Dylan's "Shelter from the Storm" transcribed into Byzantine musical notation. Can anybody do this?
Come join Dadapedia- the open-source Dadaist novel that anyone can edit.

Midnight

Re: Transcription Request

Postby Midnight » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:26 am UTC

dhokarena56 wrote:I am really bad at music theory, but I am writing a novel, and I need Bob Dylan's "Shelter from the Storm" transcribed into Byzantine musical notation. Can anybody do this?

Is... 'Byzantine musical notation' a byproduct of the recent spate of semantic switches? If not... can't help ya there, pal. I don't know it.
uhhhh fuck.

darthdidious

Postby darthdidious » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:41 am UTC

Perhaps if you could provide an example of what Byzantine musical notation looks like, I might be able to help.

darthdidious

Postby darthdidious » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:53 am UTC

After doing a tiny bit of research, it looks like it would probably be impossible to do what you ask. Byzantine notation is not the same as modern Western notation in that it specifies not exact pitches and rhythms but a vocabulary of melodic formulas unique to the Byzantine chant tradition. I don't know what these formulas sound like, but it's unlikely that they resemble anything in a Bob Dylan melody. It's probably impossible to notate anything that isn't Byzantine chant using Byzantine notation.

Return to “Music”