Max Mathews, Father of Computer Music, Passes Away

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Dream
WINNING

Max Mathews, Father of Computer Music, Passes Away

Postby Dream » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:13 pm UTC

Max Mathews, the unquestioned father of computer music, has passed away. I don't expect too many people here will know of his work, but anyone who has ever used a computer to make a sound is heavily indebted to him. He developed, in the late 1950's, the very earliest music programming languages, whose descendants are still the foundation of digital synthesis today. Every day I sit down to write music with my computer, I am using languages developed directly from Mathew's work, as is every other computer musician. If you don't know him, you have still likely heard his music. He programmed Daisy Bell, the song sung by HAL 9000 at a climactic point in 2001 A Space Odyssey, and still one of the most famous purely computer composed works in history. No single person has ever had the impact on modern music that Mathews has, and by now it is very unlikely that any piece of music you ever hear in any form has not been through some process derived from his work.

Max Mathews, 1926 - 2011.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Midnight

Re: Max Mathews, Father of Computer Music, Passes Away

Postby Midnight » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:13 am UTC

Dream wrote:No single person has ever had the impact on modern music that Mathews has,[/url]

AND THE ARGUMENT BEGINS.

Rest in peace, though. It's always a bit odd when some of the least known are the most relevant.
uhhhh fuck.

Return to “Music”