It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

balderduck

How to get your music heard on the net?

Postby balderduck » Sun May 01, 2011 1:55 pm UTC

Hey everyone...
Recently We've released our album
http://www.emptyframe.net

I've uploaded some of the songs to stereomood.com which turned out to work great for us getting listeners from around the world to listen to our music

Are there other ways one can achieve that?
eg. soundcloud? jango? grooveshark? or any other ideas?
preferably a site where you can link your music to artists it sounds like without having to pay...
"Luther...I think I've contracted left-handedness..."
- Mister Sloordge, Balderduck

Hooch

Re: How to get your music heard on the net?

Postby Hooch » Sun May 01, 2011 5:00 pm UTC

a) Soundcloud seems to be pretty popular. If you can get a large crowd to look at your music, it can actually be pretty useful.
b) Above all else, I'd definitely recommend YouTube for fronting your music.
- It's gotten me the most plays and the best understanding of my results when I look at my statistics.
- If you can find a song or artist with a similar style, the reply tool helps get some plays and a wider audience. The only real downside is if listeners play that track often and not much else.
- I only tapped into the subscription tool a few months ago, and keeping up with the videos has almost been a chore (in a good way). You can find both well-known and upcomings through the suggestion/friends tools, and you can spread their name around while they do the same for you.
c) It's kind of lame, but I advertise... a lot. Although I try to avoid spamming, my Facebook profile is riddled with links. It gets me plays and criticism, though.
d) Speaking of Facebook, I don't recommend making a fan page until (if you don't already) you have a large following. Overall, more people were responsive to my profile than my fan page.
e) Bandcamp is a good downloading hub. It allows you to upload lossless, high-quality wav files, which is then converted into other audio formats when downloaded. It's something I'd never thought of when using other download hubs.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com
youtube.com/user/DJNTDOfficial

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Sun May 01, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

All of the above is good. Any form of advertising or spreading your music is good of course, so just try to put it in as many places as possible. Not just the popular things like YouTube, Facebook, Soundcloud etc. etc.. but also lesser known sites, blogs or maybe even things in real life. Try finding places where people are passionate and care about music, which are more likely to buy music, support you or spread the word to fellow-music-passionates.It'll probably take a while before you find good things, but just send as many emails to blogs, sites and people as possible. Doesn't even matter if you think the receiver fits your product. If they like it yay and you might have a new audience ( A good example is the not-metal bands that sometimes get featured on popular metal sites like MetalsuckS and Metal Injection ) and if you don't get featured, no loss.

Basically: Try finding as many platforms as you can. Anyone that listens is good. Just put it everywhere you can put it.

That being said, I love your songs but I think we already discussed that

Ps: Does your band have a Facebook page yet?
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

Hooch

Postby Hooch » Sun May 01, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

Holy Christ. How in the Hell did I forgot public performance? I totally agree. If you have the budget and location, it's perfect. A unique stage presence helps as well, which groups such as Blink-182 tend to do.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com
youtube.com/user/DJNTDOfficial

Dirk

Postby Dirk » Mon May 02, 2011 12:13 pm UTC

I just listened to the first song, it is awesome! Really good :)
Listening to the second now

Questions:
- How long have you been playing together?
- How did you record this? It sounds really good and clean, professional even, not something I expect from someone who is looking for ways to spread the music without making costs. A recording studio?
- How does songwriting go? Is there 1 person that writes it all or is it a sort of joint experience?

This is relevant for me as I am in the process of writing music with others, we are a bunch that play together for a few months now and we're looking for ways to record what we make when we write something ourselves. For us it is usually that everybody writes their own part and tries to fit it together with the rest. Someone just starts with a riff, line of text, melody, rhythm, could be anything, and we build from there.

balderduck

Postby balderduck » Mon May 02, 2011 6:02 pm UTC

Hey everyone! Thanks for the good advice and kind words!

Of course we perform live very often but we are still only playing locally (in Greece). So one of the reasons I'm asking all this is because we want to take things further...

I'll try to contact blogs and sites and get on youtube

So if you know any good ones to send our music to, please give me the addresses! Thanks!

As for soundcloud I tried to upload my music and it won't allow me because it's protected by copyright law! (I can't upload a song I wrote because of copyright law - how idiotic is that?)
So if you know how to handle this as well, I'd love to know...

@Dirk Thank you here are my answers
- It's 5 years now
- We recorded it ourselves, it's our own production. We had a sound engineer/musician friend of ours taking care of the album production and we spent money we made from shows to record this. After that came a record deal with a pretty good greek label, but it's a greek label it does nothing to take things farther than Greece, so that's why we're looking for good ways to advertise...
- Well it depends on who writes the song. Because I'm a control freak and because I studied classical music, when I write a song I take it to the band complete. Meaning the parts are already figured out, the violin and cello have sheet music and so on. The other guys though write a bit like you. They bring a tune and some ideas and we work on them in rehersals...What you have to be careful with in your case (when everyone expands on a basic idea) is not to overdo it, to leave space for others. You can't have 2 different instruments taking the lead at the same time and so on...

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon May 02, 2011 8:49 pm UTC

How about Last.FM? I'm not sure how you get your music on it, but people do. It suggests new music to people, so may be good on that accord.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

InfamousAnarchist

Postby InfamousAnarchist » Tue May 03, 2011 1:28 am UTC

Last.fm is... clunky, but good. This is how you make a last.fm page OR you just scrobble a song and your artist will have a page made that you can edit. But if you want your songs to play on people's radio, go through there to upload it.
obligatorylinktomylast.fmpage
sever every leg
amanda palmer please come home please

Dirk

Postby Dirk » Tue May 03, 2011 9:56 am UTC

balderduck wrote:@Dirk Thank you here are my answers
- It's 5 years now
- We recorded it ourselves, it's our own production. We had a sound engineer/musician friend of ours taking care of the album production and we spent money we made from shows to record this. After that came a record deal with a pretty good greek label, but it's a greek label it does nothing to take things farther than Greece, so that's why we're looking for good ways to advertise...
- Well it depends on who writes the song. Because I'm a control freak and because I studied classical music, when I write a song I take it to the band complete. Meaning the parts are already figured out, the violin and cello have sheet music and so on. The other guys though write a bit like you. They bring a tune and some ideas and we work on them in rehersals...What you have to be careful with in your case (when everyone expands on a basic idea) is not to overdo it, to leave space for others. You can't have 2 different instruments taking the lead at the same time and so on...

Cool!

Well when I heard some of the violin and cello parts I was already thinking: This sounds like it's made beforehand by a composer rather than a sort of group jam/discovery thing. So that's why I asked :) It's always a different process how songs come to live.

Great stuff, I am sure you will be able to get some attention with the music, am loving it

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue May 03, 2011 10:55 am UTC

balderduck wrote:As for soundcloud I tried to upload my music and it won't allow me because it's protected by copyright law! (I can't upload a song I wrote because of copyright law - how idiotic is that?)
So if you know how to handle this as well, I'd love to know...
After that came a record deal with a pretty good greek label,

Do you actually own the copyright? Probably not if you have a recording contract. Sort this with your label, it's their recording.

As to your current web presence, you need more to keep my interest. I might really like your music, it is certainly very well made and written, and if there is something good in there I'd be a fan. But the first few minutes didn't grab me, and there wasn't anything else there on the site to take my attention, not even a track skip button so I could hear more. If I saw information, background, video, anything of that sort, I might read for a while as I listened, and either then listen long enough to get hooked, or read something that piqued my interest enough to persevere. The artwork is a very good start, but it isn't information.

There are too many distractions on the net to just leave an embedded file playing and hope everyone loves it.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Dirk

Postby Dirk » Wed May 04, 2011 10:14 am UTC

There is a button to skip the song Dream, but you make a good suggestion! Just fyi.

balderduck

Postby balderduck » Wed May 04, 2011 10:50 am UTC

Yeah you can skip the tracks and yes we're going to add more content to the site! It's still under construction, that's just the music player.

I've added some songs to Last.Fm but I'm not sure how much of it is played. Stereomood worked much better for that kind of thing...

Danezimus

Postby Danezimus » Wed May 18, 2011 5:25 am UTC

I'm studying Commercial and Electronic Music, and one of the prime things that we are taught from the beginning is how to solicit our abilities as musicians. Here's a list that I think may help with getting the music out. Sorry if this is not the advice you are looking for or its irrelevant:

1) You need an easily navigable website with a simple URL. You need a sample of your work on the front page or an immediate link. When a client listens to your work, they usually listen to it for a minute or two before they've determined whether you're worth the publicity, so your absolute best work should be first.

2) You need a resume. If you want to play small gigs locally, then you will be fine doing what you're doing, but the people who book the big gigs want either a famous or well-known group, or a group with a good resume. A simple resume should include a list of the places you've worked/gigged as well as any experience your group has with various performance elements. Recommendations by other musicians or places you've played for are a big plus. In addition, a good knowledge of standard music theory and melodic composition is always good b/c its helps your case of seeming like you know what you're doing when you create music.

3) You need a professional feel about you. Professional looking business cards (printed on card-stock) with your contact and website information, in addition to a print-labeled sample CD (with your best work forward) is almost mandatory every time you are in the presence of a potential client. Remaining decently well-dressed and speaking confidently and articulately is a good plan as well, since the first impression is everything when you're trying to score the big gig.

4) Finally, you need consistently produced, mid to high-quality work that you can perform. Venues like youtube, Facebook and even Twitter should be used as much as possible. Your popularity will grow on an exponential curve, since the more you're heard of, the more you're heard of (its not tautology, it makes sense). Remember to act like you know what you're doing and, most importantly, what you're talking about. Competency can get you into places you're nearly unqualified for, and that can be your big chance to make it big.

I hope this helps you with your endeavor to produce music for other's enjoyment; lemme know if this helped any. It is nice to see people with the ambition to make it big. Good luck with your goals, and I hope to see an album on Itunes or Amazon sometime.

~DM

Return to “Music”