Instrumental Tango, Anyone?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
legopelle
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm UTC
Location: Directly over the center of the earth.

Instrumental Tango, Anyone?

Postby legopelle » Fri May 13, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

I might be nicheing (yay, inventing words) myself into a corner here, but I want to hear your suggestions.

Basically anything remotely like the instrumental Roxanne's Tango

You never fail with violin, accordion, piano and a generous helping of rhythm.
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

User avatar
bonzoWhale
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:29 pm UTC
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: Instrumental Tango, Anyone?

Postby bonzoWhale » Fri May 13, 2011 11:33 pm UTC

I sometimes submit myself to unhealthy dosages of Piazzolla... don't know a lot of tango beyond that, though.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Instrumental Tango, Anyone?

Postby podbaydoor » Sat May 14, 2011 3:57 am UTC

Lately I've leaned more towards the fusion genre of neo-tango - like Santa Maria del Buen Ayre by the Gotan Project. This is the song that played in the background of Richard Gere's dance with Jennifer Lopez in Shall We Dance.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
bonzoWhale
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:29 pm UTC
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: Instrumental Tango, Anyone?

Postby bonzoWhale » Sat May 14, 2011 7:47 am UTC

My dad got me into Sergio & Odair Assad's rendition of Piazzolla's music... pretty amazing stuff too.

And Anderson & Roe have an excellent two-piano version of Libertango.

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Instrumental Tango, Anyone?

Postby ConMan » Tue May 17, 2011 2:35 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Lately I've leaned more towards the fusion genre of neo-tango - like Santa Maria del Buen Ayre by the Gotan Project. This is the song that played in the background of Richard Gere's dance with Jennifer Lopez in Shall We Dance.

Technically, Santa Maria does have some vocals, but Gotan Project does have some purely instrumental pieces, including (IIRC, can't view YouTube or pull out my iPod right now) Epoca. And they do have some nice tangos.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Instrumental Tango, Anyone?

Postby podbaydoor » Tue May 17, 2011 3:08 am UTC

Some more neo-tango from the excellent album Electrocutango - two actual instrumental tracks.

'Felino' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF72TwMtocE
'Regina' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFpoZtSb0ig
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
legopelle
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm UTC
Location: Directly over the center of the earth.

Re: Instrumental Tango, Anyone?

Postby legopelle » Tue May 17, 2011 1:57 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Some more neo-tango from the excellent album Electrocutango - two actual instrumental tracks.

'Felino' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF72TwMtocE
'Regina' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFpoZtSb0ig

I'm not a big fan of synth drums in a otherwise acoustic song, but it was allright.
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Instrumental Tango, Anyone?

Postby podbaydoor » Wed May 18, 2011 2:27 am UTC

Unfortunately I don't think I have any straight acoustic tango pieces in my iTunes, it's all neo-tango. "Retrolonga" from the same album is more traditional, but it hasn't been uploaded to Youtube.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Instrumental Tango, Anyone?

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:43 am UTC

Tango Lunaire (Tango for Two Women. It's pretty excellent.)
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4751
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: Instrumental Tango, Anyone?

Postby poxic » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:51 am UTC

Quartango is entertaining enough. I can't find an online version of their take on Brubeck's "Take Five", but they do have one (I have that album). It's delightful.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Instrumental Tango, Anyone?

Postby ConMan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:33 am UTC

poxic wrote:Quartango is entertaining enough. I can't find an online version of their take on Brubeck's "Take Five", but they do have one (I have that album). It's delightful.

A tango Take Five? That sounds interesting. I will have to investigate them further.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Instrumental Tango, Anyone?

Postby Роберт » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Unfortunately I don't think I have any straight acoustic tango pieces in my iTunes, it's all neo-tango. "Retrolonga" from the same album is more traditional, but it hasn't been uploaded to Youtube.

Try grooveshark: http://grooveshark.com/s/Retrolonga/3fasIQ?src=5

http://grooveshark.com/#/artist/Electrocutango/1260726
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.


Return to “Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests