Accordion Music Suggestions

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mjm

Accordion Music Suggestions

Postby mjm » Sun May 15, 2011 1:50 am UTC

I've been playing the accordion for about a month now, and I am loving it, but I need some more ideas for what to play. I've finished one introductory accordion book with boring songs, and I've learned a couple polkas, a waltz sort of thing, and Hungarian Rhapsody No.2.

What else is good to learn on the accordion? It doesn't have to be traditional. When I heard Jumping Jack Flash on an accordion I thought it was better than the original. Things with available sheet music would be nice, though. I can pick out basic chords to go with a melody, but it takes me a long time to figure out a song by ear. There's no way I'm figuring out this one soon.

Thanks!

(Possibly relevant: I play the piano, so I can handle somewhat complex melody (or chords in the right hand). I cannot, unfortunately, play Bach well because I am still learning the left hand beyond 1-4-5-1.)

Dirk

Re: Accordion Music Suggestions

Postby Dirk » Tue May 17, 2011 11:26 am UTC

Not a accordion player but just curious.

I suppose you are talking about Listz when you say Hungarian Rhapsody No 2, how does that work on Accordion? A simplified version of the main melody with the chords? Just curious, I don't mean anything by it

mjm

Postby mjm » Tue May 17, 2011 12:06 pm UTC

Yeah, I meant the one by Liszt. I am playing a somewhat simplified version, approximately the one from John Thompson's Third Grade piano book. Any sheet music is really helpful because then I don't have to guess at the chords.

Theroretically, someone better at accordion than me could play a pretty faithful version. You can press as many buttons on the right or left hand side as you can push air through. I think you'd have to be crazy to try something like a fugue, though.

The accordion is a great instrument, and far more versatile than I realized before I started. That's why I'm looking for nontraditional suggestions.

Dirk

Postby Dirk » Tue May 17, 2011 12:24 pm UTC

Cool

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue May 17, 2011 12:34 pm UTC

Sort of un-traditional; Many popular indie bands feature accordions like Arcade Fire, Beirut and The Decemberists.

Weird Al has some catchy tunes as well. But that's not really on the same level as Liszt I guess.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

mjm

Postby mjm » Tue May 17, 2011 1:50 pm UTC

It doesn't have to be Liszt. Those are some good ideas. I guess I was originally looking for things that are not normally played on accordion, to widen my horizons, but if it's a good solo, it works.

Return to “Music”