Song Identification!

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mathmannix

Re: Song Identification!

Postby mathmannix » Mon May 19, 2014 1:27 pm UTC

yanfan388 wrote:I know somebody who wants to record this song if they can identify it. He thinks it's a 60s soul song with the spoken line "are
you hip to the grease?" it could be a man and a woman singing it.

hard one!!!!

That leads to this thread... does it help? (Or, alternatively, is it you/your friend from 8 ½ years ago?)

http://www.soul-source.co.uk/soulforum/topic/10006-are-you-hip-to-the-grease/
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

kitoba

Postby kitoba » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:56 pm UTC

There's a few songs I've found ungoogleable over the years:

1) Woman with a gravelly soul voice (similar to Bettye LaVette or Macy Gray) -- lyric something like "Oh baby... sweet baby... when I clap my hands you'll come to me"
2) A lengthy acapella song, in the style of a jam band, reminded me a bit of Frank Zappa --seemed as though it was deliberately meant to be annoying.
3) A Spanish-language song, I heard it about a year or so ago --the only lyrics I thought I recognized were "tu amor", which were the closing words of the song, unfortunately that phrase seems to be in every Spanish language song ever. The style was like a modern version of an eighties rock song with a heavy bassline and a saxophone. Actually it was like an eighties version of a fifties song, kind of like a lost Spanish cut from Billy Joel's Innocent Man or something.
4) This was an indie rock song with a bunch of game related cliches -- roll the dice, cut the cards. The singer reminded me of Lightspeed Champion.

Not much to go on, will be very very impressed if anyone can make something out of any one of these.

EDIT: I've been working my way backwards through the thread, here are some of my guesses on a few:
something in the (schoolyard?,)
I'm talkin bout
some something (rhymes with schoolyard
I'm talkin bout youuuuuuu
I'm talkin bout youuuuuu, ouuu

I saw someone else guessed the Gin Blossoms --if that's not it, could it be "Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard?"

This isn't exactly a song identification request, but I figure this is the most appropriate track. My friend Lisa SWEARS there is a song that sounds exactly like this one, in terms of the violins and strings and such. Mostly the last half of the song apparantly. All the usual suspects have already been suggested (Nick Cave & Kylie, Tindersticks, Conquest of Paradise (what?) etc).

Do you guys have any idea? It's bugging me too now, but I think it might just sound like a whole bunch of songs, but I thought maybe throguh the POWER OF THE WEBZ we could find a specific identical song.

It's not an exact match, but the strings and the chord progression remind me of Dylan's "One More Cup of Coffee" --a stellar song.

*This* is driving me insane. 90s ish pop. i can't even google it. It sounds like it's from a movie.

Add me to the list of people who would love to know what this is. It sounds like it should have been a hit, but Google has never heard of what I hear as the lyrics (transcribing below in case it helps)

I think you’re right I won’t go I won’t go
Say what you want
Cause I’m not going to show
Living in Boston try to stay around,
say hello, say hello

I've got an earworm from a pretty well-known song (not a classic, but a modern pop-song), but I can't remember artist, title, or even fragments of the lyrics. What I do know is this:
The singer is a woman with a very 'mild' voice, and she sings somewhat high-pitched.
The song has a certain structure, namely there are always two verses, which are followed by her singing la-la-la-... in the same melody.

Tom's Diner, Suzanne Vega

poochyena

Postby poochyena » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:51 am UTC

Could someone please help me find this song?
It starts at the 46 minutes
https://soundcloud.com/tenshin-mixes/quadruple-threat

I googled the lyrics and searched soundcloud, I can't find it anywhere >.<

It bothers me so much when people compile music, but doesn't list the songs.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:57 am UTC

It's a song by INXS I believe, where it's all a pretty monotone list of things. Kind of like U2's Numb. Anyone know what it is?

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:28 pm UTC

Here's one. It was instrumental, I think (I didn't hear any lyrics). It had a Halloween-type sound (I mean Halloween Theme (Michael Myers)), except I think there was a harpsichord, maybe, mixed with electric piano, perhaps? I'm like 90% sure it was a harpsichord, but I'm unsure about the other instrument. I also think it might've been from a rock group; it came on shortly after Three Dog Night's, "The Show Must Go On". I'm about 30% sure it may have been written in a major key.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:03 pm UTC

Is it Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield?
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:10 am UTC

I can't remember what I heard, but this sounds like it could've be it.

xyweasel

Postby xyweasel » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:42 pm UTC

If anybody knows the song "Hands Swollen With Grace" by the band "Dakota Suite", there is another song that sounds almost exactly like it, but has a man singing words, of which I remember none at all. I don't remember if it's also by Dakota Suite, or by another band of the same genre, but I've been looking for a while and I haven't had any luck.

Here is a link to the song "Hands Swollen With Grace".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8I0-b1mzwA

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:46 pm UTC

I heard a song on an internet radio station. There are three possibilities but I already discounted two of them (both happened to be 181.fm). It was probably on netrock101 (metal) and went off around 6PM EST yesterday. I cannot find a list of anything they played recently. I found a list for 181.fm, which is how I determined it wasn't the correct station.

So, can any of you help me?

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:34 pm UTC

Found a short list. Barely covers an hour, if that. Probably replays songs, though. Might luck out. (Doubts it, considering the number of unique artists already.)
- Have a Nice Day (Bon Jovi)
- American Witch (Rob Zombie)
- Look What The Cat Dragged In (Poison)
- The Lizard (Saigon Kick)
- Cool 9 (Joe Satriani)
- p4unet (g4ewq)
- She Loves My Cock (Jackyl)
- Over The Hills and Far Away (Led Zeppelin)
- All Summer Long (Kid Rock)
- Beverly Hills (Weezer)
- Wind of Change (Scorpions)
- Better Off (Theory of a Deadman)
- Elimination (Overkill)
- psa5rf9 (groupnetrock)
- Concrete Jungle (Anvil)
- Won’t Get Fooled Again (The Who)

Notes several nonsensical titles/artists. Shrugs.

Updated this in February. Cannot confirm its relevancy.

Edit: Added more. Listed just played songs, not yesterday's (necessarily).
Changes its form depending on the observer.

t1mm01994

Postby t1mm01994 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:55 pm UTC

Welp, I had a song request, but Soundhound improvisation skills proved quicker than my asking here. Thanks either way xD

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:00 pm UTC

kitoba wrote:4) This was an indie rock song with a bunch of game related cliches -- roll the dice, cut the cards. The singer reminded me of Lightspeed Champion.

The obvious thought for "cut the cards" (almost) is Dancer by The Killers. "Close your eyes, clear your heart, cut the cord"

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:35 am UTC

(cross-posting from FaiD)

Anyone know if the melody to Girls in Airports - Grass by the Roses has been used elsewhere? I recognise the tune, but am fairly sure I've heard it sung before. So much so that this song feels like an instrumental cover of a song made several decades ago.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Return to “Music”