Song Identification!

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Paranoid__Android

Re: What is this tune?

Postby Paranoid__Android » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:10 pm UTC

Maybe, but I made myself laugh so it was worth it ;)

It's a one off, I promise.
The Great Hippo wrote:My dearest, most cherished friend, Paranoid__Android:
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...
Sincerely and with great fondness,
~The Great Hippo

Everything is possible. The impossible just takes longer.

KrazyerKate

Re: What is this tune?

Postby KrazyerKate » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:39 pm UTC

Okay, now do this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TKEb0QM3so

I can't find an extended version anywhere.

Jambe

Re: Song Identification!

Postby Jambe » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:24 am UTC

The rules state "no links to copyrighted materials". How about something that'd surely qualify as fair use, though? I have a five-second, 81KB mp3 clip from a podcast that I can't bloody ID; can I post it up?

/edit: it's a music bumper. It's surely copyrighted, but as I said, it's a five-second clip of the song's main riff.

King Author

Postby King Author » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:05 pm UTC

I'm trying to remember the name of a song that was used either on Mac or iPod or something similar commercials way back in like 2002/2003, if I remember correctly. It's also used sometimes on YTMND.com but for the life of me, now that I'm looking for it, I can't find where (and I've searched through all the major memes). Anyway, go here...
http://method-behind-the-music.com/piano
And play as such (lower case means play lower than the previous note, upper case means higher, always within the octave)
D D# d b C
F# g F# g d# d
D D# d b C
(rest a "measure")
D D# d b C
F# g F# g F# g# d# c
D# c b C D c

It's probably off-key, but it's close enough that if you've heard it, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Edit: I said "song" but actually this is just a little piano riff, sorta like the current iPad commercials (which is what makes me think this is from an old Apple commrecial, maybe for the original iPod or perhaps iMac computers).
Last edited by King Author on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:09 pm UTC

Kind of reminds me of this... but it seems an odd choice for a commercial, so I'm probably wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuKx7AgHLes#t=1m
(it's clearest during the end)
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:43 am UTC

Does anyone know this song? it's been bugging me for a while.
here is me and my guitar humming it...
~The Great Hippo

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:34 pm UTC

Jambe wrote:The rules state "no links to copyrighted materials". How about something that'd surely qualify as fair use, though? I have a five-second, 81KB mp3 clip from a podcast that I can't bloody ID; can I post it up?

/edit: it's a music bumper. It's surely copyrighted, but as I said, it's a five-second clip of the song's main riff.

It's five seconds. It's not against the law to post five seconds of song. Just do it.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

King Author

Postby King Author » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:08 pm UTC

Mavketl wrote:Kind of reminds me of this... but it seems an odd choice for a commercial, so I'm probably wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuKx7AgHLes#t=1m
(it's clearest during the end)

No, that's not it. I should've been clearer, though -- it wasn't a song, it was just a little piano diddy.
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

Kaelri

Postby Kaelri » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:33 pm UTC

Paranoid__Android wrote:Does anyone know this song? it's been bugging me for a while.

Well, I couldn't identify it, but I've reposted it as an MP3 for you. (I'm not sure why, but I had some trouble finding software that would play your AMR.)

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:27 am UTC

Kaelri wrote:
Paranoid__Android wrote:Does anyone know this song? it's been bugging me for a while.

Well, I couldn't identify it, but I've reposted it as an MP3 for you. (I'm not sure why, but I had some trouble finding software that would play your AMR.)

Thanks but I've just worked it out.
It was "more than words" by Extreme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrIiLvg58SY
~The Great Hippo

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:31 pm UTC

I'd really appreciate help on this one but I really don't have that much information.

Name: Flying (I didn't add wildcards because I don't think there is anything else to the name)
Style: I heard it being performed by a local uni group.

It is mostly a classical piece that is quite famous (maybe?) and has the Cello, Clarinet and violin (main instrument). It may also have the piano.

No vocals.

Any guesses? I really loved this one.
I write a blog rant here.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:28 pm UTC

Long shot, but it may be a drastically reworked version of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14flwvMjyAQ

I say long shot because it doesn't sound like classical music at all. However, it's called Flying, and it's an instrumental. Maybe you confused it with another song. But yeah, that's my attempt.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:05 am UTC

Not it was this. Flying by Steve Barakatt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JjKrxjzIZQ

Maybe my description was a bit off. Awesome track though.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:45 pm UTC

Okay I've been having a really hard time figuring out some music I like. In Miike snow's The rabbit the first 15 seconds I really enjoy, but I have no idea what it is or what to call it. It reminds me of some music I thought I heard in littlebigplanet, but after searching through their OSTs I cannot find it. I think I'm just insane or something. Anyone know?

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:23 pm UTC

Would this fall under definition of synth or electro-pop, or, to a certain extent - 8-bit music ?
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:24 pm UTC

I honestly have no idea. I'm not a very good authority when it comes to music, let alone genres. :?

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:51 pm UTC

Downloaded the album because that track is neeeeaaaaat. Definitly synth-pop or electro-pop, as far as I know it isn't 8-bit.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:43 pm UTC

Ok, I've got one. It's a song that starts of as a county-ish song, but after the intro, it gets hard-rockish, hard enough for people to form a mosh pit. All the lyrics I could seem to make out are 'Let the (bad?) times roll', but I'm not even sure that's correct

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:27 pm UTC

This isn't exactly a song identification request, but I figure this is the most appropriate track. My friend Lisa SWEARS there is a song that sounds exactly like this one, in terms of the violins and strings and such. Mostly the last half of the song apparantly. All the usual suspects have already been suggested (Nick Cave & Kylie, Tindersticks, Conquest of Paradise (what?) etc).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tynF9lI4MOM

Do you guys have any idea? It's bugging me too now, but I think it might just sound like a whole bunch of songs, but I thought maybe throguh the POWER OF THE WEBZ we could find a specific identical song.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Foremorrow

Postby Foremorrow » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:46 pm UTC

There was a song used during a television advertisement for the programme Medium on Network Ten (Australia) around the year 2005 which I've had stuck in my head ever since. I remember the words as being, "Angel you know you are my friend, and I will guide you 'til the end." I tried searching online and I found the Smashing Pumpkins song, "Perfect" which is not right. Although the lyrics of those lines are very similar (inversely), the tune is not correct.

To my best attempt at representing it, the melody goes:
"F# - E / F# - E / F# - E / F# F# - / D D E / F F E / C# - B
"Ang-el / you - know / you - are / my friend / and I will / guide you 'til / the end

I tried attaching a short audio clip of the melody (in a different key, I couldn't play the right key in Garageband with my keyboard).
Attachments
Unknown Song Melody.mp3
(276.58 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
My editor told me there's too much tautology in my writing.
I assured her I'd never repeat the same mistake again.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:18 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:Ok, I've got one. It's a song that starts of as a county-ish song, but after the intro, it gets hard-rockish, hard enough for people to form a mosh pit. All the lyrics I could seem to make out are 'Let the (bad?) times roll', but I'm not even sure that's correct

I don't think you'd be able to mosh to this, but it sounds country-ish IMO, and has the lines "Let the good times roll". Maybe the song you're thinking of is a cover or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAXZDPO7Ar0

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_the_Go ... d_Lee_song)

Unparallelogram

Postby Unparallelogram » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:00 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeOrPjnb9Ow @ 2:46

I'm pretty sure I've heard it before in some sort of anime or video game context.
I'm pretty sure it's not one of the songs mentioned in the video description.

I tried it in a few of those enter notes to find songs search engines, but I'm not sure if it's their lack of coverage or my inability to transcribe.
How the heck do they expect me to have absolute pitch anyway?
Relative pitch I can sorta do.
Transposed into C, the melody would go: ABCEGFDFE ... DEDCABDE ... or something.
The rhythm has too much weirdness.

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:07 pm UTC

....that keeps you safe and keeps you feeling safe
Whose arms have held you
That you don't know who you are anymore...

Those are the only lyrics that I remember, it was soft, acoustic, male voiced.

Thanks.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:39 pm UTC

Lyrics match with Mojave 3 - All your tears ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QONMs66_L4 )

Acoustic, male voice.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

Halleck

Postby Halleck » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:23 pm UTC

okay. so there's this song. The lyrics say something about like a mob family or something and then someone's head explodes. I think it was mom's head explodes. All of the "singing" is in this low almost growling voice, and it's presented a line at a time followed by some rocking guitar. I feel like the song was about like the first meeting of a girlfriends parents or something. Very vague I'm sorry. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:03 am UTC

Thanks a lot, Microscopic cog.

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:04 am UTC

Halleck wrote:okay. so there's this song. The lyrics say something about like a mob family or something and then someone's head explodes. I think it was mom's head explodes. All of the "singing" is in this low almost growling voice, and it's presented a line at a time followed by some rocking guitar. I feel like the song was about like the first meeting of a girlfriends parents or something. Very vague I'm sorry. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Well I'm thinking its some song by Manchester Orchestra? I don't listen to them but I'll ask someone who hears them frequently.

Halleck

Postby Halleck » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:11 am UTC

archeleus wrote:
Halleck wrote:okay. so there's this song. The lyrics say something about like a mob family or something and then someone's head explodes. I think it was mom's head explodes. All of the "singing" is in this low almost growling voice, and it's presented a line at a time followed by some rocking guitar. I feel like the song was about like the first meeting of a girlfriends parents or something. Very vague I'm sorry. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Well I'm thinking its some song by Manchester Orchestra? I don't listen to them but I'll ask someone who hears them frequently.

Nah. It wasn't When We Were Trees.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:20 am UTC

OK, I feel like I should know this...

The song feels french, but (afaict) has no lyrics, just the occasional sound of someone breathing deeply.

Never mind, found it, and I was wrong about it not having lyrics. It was Je T'aime... Moi Non Plus.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:21 am UTC

Double posting for bump - so sue me.

This is a classical piece. I've attached a rough version of its theme. I think the actual piece is faster than this, however.
Attachments
NTS.mp3
(85.84 KiB) Downloaded 748 times
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:12 pm UTC

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Opportunity to win $50 here: http://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytongue/c ... pay_50_to/

I have a slight suspicion it is a sneaky way of advertising your band's music ( I mean, of course, the original poster on the Reddit ).
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:42 am UTC

I was once in a choir that performed a setting of the Benedictus. I don't remember much, but I'm trying to figure out whose setting it is (to facilitate looking up a decent recording).

I know that...
  • It is in F major.
  • It was composed before 2001, the year in which we performed it.
  • It begins with a soprano solo, followed by a tenor solo. The choir joins after this.
  • The main theme goes like this:
benedictus theme.jpg
Benedictus theme

The tempo is roughly 80 bpm. Has anybody seen or heard this before?
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:07 pm UTC

60s song, ....psychedelic folk I think? It's actually a music video, which was VERY uncommon back then. I think the guy was scottish or irish or something. The song goes "The world of [first name last name] ohh ohh, the day is almost through.". It's a horrible music video, though. Nothing happens. During the chorus he's like standing in a random river. The rest of the parts he's talking on a public phone with someone. During the chorus, it has a very weird disembodied sound. Someone on youtube made the observation that when he first heard this song, he said it sounded like the chorus was recorded in through a telephone...and it's ironic that those are the parts of the music video that aren't with him on the telephone. It's a pretty somber song. But mostly the difference in quality of sound is just surreal.

EDIT: damnit. The subject's last name randomly came to me out of nowhere. Answer here:
Spoiler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VDS8uArR0A The Days of Pearly Spencer - David McWilliams

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:38 am UTC

This is driving me insane.
Glee episode 2.07: The Substitute. 55secs into the episode there is a flashback showing a girl sneezing on the principal. I cannot figure out what the music playing is. I'm sure I know it, I'm sure it's something painfully obvious, but I cannot for the life of me work it out. (And anything I can find about music in Glee just talks about the songs they sing, and ignores everything else.)

EDIT: Nevermind, I had a flash of inspiration and found it. Dvorak, New World Symphony.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:23 am UTC

*This* is driving me insane. 90s ish pop. http://www.trouvetamusique.com/modules/ ... s_id=54000 i can't even google it. It sounds like it's from a movie.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:07 pm UTC

It's a (classic) rock song, it starts out with some sort of siren or alarm. I heard it at work today, I know I know it, but I can't figure it out, it's starting to drive me crazy :P

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:27 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:It's a (classic) rock song, it starts out with some sort of siren or alarm. I heard it at work today, I know I know it, but I can't figure it out, it's starting to drive me crazy :P

Dude, you can't even remember the sex of the lead vocalist? Need more information. Guess the decade. Did it have any solos? Was it fast, poppy, dense, proggy what?

Also, my guess is Fire Brigade by the Move. I doubt it would be that, since it's somewhat obscure (obscure enough to not make it to a classic rock station).

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:01 pm UTC

Well, I've got a bit more info. Singer was definitely male, probably from around the 70s/80s, I'd call it mid-tempo, not incredibly fast but not slow either and the siren/alarm was more electronic than the song you posted.

darknut

Postby darknut » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:20 am UTC

i keep watching this video cause i like the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJQTc-TqpU#t=2m28s
even if no one knows the specific song i'd like to know what you would call that type of music so i could find more
medieval choir and orchestra??? probly not
poxic wrote: Take a source of light and cook it up until it lases -- now you have a laser.

Return to “Music”