Song Identification!

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

imMAW

Re: Song Identification!

Postby imMAW » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:40 am UTC

This is a song from Donnie Darko, heard through his headphones during a conversation (in the director's cut). It's not clear enough for me to make out words to Google with, but I know I've heard it before. Anyone know it?

Alternate link just in case your browser doesn't like the first one.

Edit: Found it, Voices Carry by 'Til Tuesday.
Last edited by imMAW on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:01 pm UTC

I can tell you that it's not on the official sound track, but that's it. :(
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

DavidSpencer

Postby DavidSpencer » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:09 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:Well, I've got a bit more info. Singer was definitely male, probably from around the 70s/80s, I'd call it mid-tempo, not incredibly fast but not slow either and the siren/alarm was more electronic than the song you posted.

Miami 2017 by Billy Joel seems to work, but it's not a very well known song. I suspect you could find a dozen songs like this. Does your classic rock station play many album cuts?

TheNorm05

Postby TheNorm05 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:11 am UTC

I have a request that's been bothering me for months. For a while I thought it was a Beatles song because the vocals were similar-ish sounding but I searched for it for a very long time to no avail. Words that sound like "Oh la la, oooooohh". I can hum it to the best of my memory using syllables that I think resemble the words as far as I can remember. Using dropbox to host my skillful(HAHA) humming:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6913145/ohlala.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6913145/ohnana.mp3

4dhayman

Postby 4dhayman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:36 am UTC

I would love to know the name of the song that plays right at the beginning of this youtube clip (before the Star Trek theme). Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjJUhy46 ... ideo_title

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:13 am UTC

RoadieRich wrote:Double posting for bump - so sue me.

This is a classical piece. I've attached a rough version of its theme. I think the actual piece is faster than this, however.

That's the fourth movement of From the New World. It's actually pretty much exactly that tempo.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

This song sounds so familiar. Does anyone know it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECUDC9lVDiI
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:51 am UTC

The video itself says it's Beethoven's 5th symphony, 4th movement.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:42 am UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:The video itself says it's Beethoven's 5th symphony, 4th movement.

It obviously didn't say that when I asked.

But thanks for answering.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:53 am UTC

Yea I figured :P No problem.
Spoiler:

smakibbfb

Postby smakibbfb » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:33 pm UTC

TheNorm05 wrote:I have a request that's been bothering me for months. For a while I thought it was a Beatles song because the vocals were similar-ish sounding but I searched for it for a very long time to no avail. Words that sound like "Oh la la, oooooohh". I can hum it to the best of my memory using syllables that I think resemble the words as far as I can remember. Using dropbox to host my skillful(HAHA) humming:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6913145/ohlala.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6913145/ohnana.mp3

That's band on the run - Paul McCartney and Wings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7D65IomNYY

You were close with The Beatles.

Maraki

Can't Find the Name of a Song

Postby Maraki » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:57 pm UTC

As the title says, I can't find the title for a game's song. It's the song that plays In Tales of Phantasia (at least on the SNES version) when you come home to your village to find everyone murdered and the town completely ransacked. It has a very nice melodic bass part in it, and, as would be appropriate, it is a very sad piece of music. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Re: Can't Find the Name of a Song

Postby Deva » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

Maraki wrote:As the title says, I can't find the title for a game's song. It's the song that plays In Tales of Phantasia (at least on the SNES version) when you come home to your village to find everyone murdered and the town completely ransacked. It has a very nice melodic bass part in it, and, as would be appropriate, it is a very sad piece of music. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

May be incorrect. Never played it. Is it Be Absentminded?
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Maraki

Re: Can't Find the Name of a Song

Postby Maraki » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:12 am UTC

Deva wrote:
Maraki wrote:As the title says, I can't find the title for a game's song. It's the song that plays In Tales of Phantasia (at least on the SNES version) when you come home to your village to find everyone murdered and the town completely ransacked. It has a very nice melodic bass part in it, and, as would be appropriate, it is a very sad piece of music. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

May be incorrect. Never played it. Is it Be Absentminded?

Yes it is, thanks. That's pretty good, guessing the song such a small description of it.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:44 am UTC

existentialpanda wrote:
RoadieRich wrote:Double posting for bump - so sue me.

This is a classical piece. I've attached a rough version of its theme. I think the actual piece is faster than this, however.

That's the fourth movement of From the New World. It's actually pretty much exactly that tempo.

Hmm, right notes, right voicings, wrong timing, and the second part of the phrase is wrong. The version I've (still) got stuck goes up.

I'm convinced that the timings I recorded are what I remember. I'm wondering now if it was a film theme - or perhaps a film studio ident fanfare maybe?

Edit: My recording is at download/file.php?id=27741
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:56 am UTC

Double posting again... tsk, tsk, tsk.

The intro to the PlanetES theme (Dive In The Sky) reminds me a lot of another song, probably also a tv theme. What the hell is it?
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Ankit1010

Postby Ankit1010 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:08 am UTC

Ok there's this song: The first 10-15 seconds are just instrumental, slow, which kind of build up. Then a woman starts singing, she sings really calmly, kind of softly. I don't know most of the lyrics, but maybe 10 seconds into the singing, it goes " ... on the waaaater ... ".
This is about as vague as it gets, but it's all I've got, and I love this song! anyone?

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:23 am UTC

Random guess but maybe this?
Spoiler:

Ankit1010

Postby Ankit1010 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:33 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:Random guess but maybe this?

No thats not it :( It's a fairly recent song, not that old at all. That came up when I tried to google for it too. Moral of the story is, I don't have enough information to find it through google.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

Hmm well, what about things like instrumentation, genre, style?

Was it like an upbeat dance song or a slow indie folk song or whatever?
Spoiler:

Aiwendil

Postby Aiwendil » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:59 am UTC

There's a fragment of melody stuck in my head that's been driving me crazy for some time now. I have a vague feeling it's from a lighter piece by Mozart or Beethoven (a serenade or divertimento, for instance), but I've gone through my collection and have been unable to locate it. Does anyone recognize it?

hifi

Postby hifi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:32 pm UTC

Aiwendil wrote:There's a fragment of melody stuck in my head that's been driving me crazy for some time now. I have a vague feeling it's from a lighter piece by Mozart or Beethoven (a serenade or divertimento, for instance), but I've gone through my collection and have been unable to locate it. Does anyone recognize it?

Just joined the forums to tell you it's probably Haydn - Serenade.

Also, presumably, I can't use the url codes because I've just joined?

Aiwendil

Postby Aiwendil » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:19 am UTC

Thank you! That's it - the slow movement from the 'Serenade Quartet'. That had been bothering me for a long time.

stranger1

A Missing Song

Postby stranger1 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:19 pm UTC

There is a song I know from the early 90's 1990 most likely or 1991 (could've been out before then but that's when I remember it from). I do not know the title of the song or who sings it, but some ot its lyrics. It could be an Australian song since, again, that's where I know it from. The lyrics that I remember from it go like this:

"cause that's what I call love.
I found it. I found it.
I will (or should) never have to change.
what I call love. What I call love."

I have tried all of the lyrics websites that I know and none of them has the right song (there are many songs called "What I call love" but not the one I want. The singer is female by the way.

Thanks for your help. I'm feeling nostalgic about this song. I hope I can find it.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:18 pm UTC

Hey, I love that song :) See if this is what you're looking for. That's What I Call Love by Kate Ceberano
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Steeler

Postby Steeler » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:14 pm UTC

One time I heard a classic rock (probably 70s, possibly 80s) song pretty late on the radio that had the following features:

-Cleanish electric guitars
-Clapping
-A main riff that sounded sort of roughly like the old 3:10 to Yuma theme, but more syncopated
-A singer that sounded sort of like Triumph's in Fight the Good Fight, also a little bit like Pink Floyd's singer (the whole song sounded almost like it could have been done by either of those bands, but not quite)
-I think the refrain had a line similar to "can't go back on the road"

Any idea?
"What would happen if did you first know that do I say tell me about your feelings about him that you came to me the real reason explain anything else that you came to me?"
-Emacs Psychiatrist upon repeated presses of the enter key

[.root/fail]

Postby [.root/fail] » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:56 pm UTC

I'm looking for a hard/screamo cover of Haddaway's "What is Love". Hoping to get the name of the performer of the cover, here is a sample: http://www.dabontv.com/animation14.html. Choose the 10th one from the left.

To a lesser extent, I'm interested in the 4th, 5th, and 7th as well.
Yes, well that's a compelling argument; but you forget one fundamental fact, you suck!

[.root/fail] wrote:Only a loser would sig themselves...

mutestorm

Postby mutestorm » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:54 am UTC

I think this was a fairly mainstream song, but my remembrance of it is very poor.

It had a mellencampy vibe to it, probably late 80s early 90s, and the chorus, vaguely, is:

something in the (schoolyard?,)
I'm talkin bout
some something (rhymes with schoolyard
I'm talkin bout youuuuuuu
I'm talkin bout youuuuuu, ouuu

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:35 pm UTC

velvet_octopus wrote:I can understand the lyrics to this song: http://player.vimeo.com/video/31481531?autoplay=1
but googling them is giving me no results. Anyone know the artist?

If you click the Vimeo button in the down right corner, it takes you to the Vimeo page of the video where the description says it's this song

Edit: What? Where the hell did this post come from? I can't find the quoted post anymore? Was it even there? Am I going mad?

Edit2: If I search the post on the URl in this thread, it only gives my post as a result. Only logical conclusion is deletion?
Spoiler:

velvet_octopus

Postby velvet_octopus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:42 pm UTC

Sorry, I deleted it when I realized that there were much easier ways to find the artist than lyrics search. So I deleted it before anyone bothered with it (I hoped) but clearly I was not quick enough

Edit: I hadn't refreshed my page or I would have seen your response and then not carried out said deletion. Sorry again!!
<≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥>

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

Haha, it's okay. Glad you found the song you were looking for.
Spoiler:

Anaximander

Postby Anaximander » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:14 am UTC

mutestorm wrote:I think this was a fairly mainstream song, but my remembrance of it is very poor.

It had a mellencampy vibe to it, probably late 80s early 90s, and the chorus, vaguely, is:

something in the (schoolyard?,)
I'm talkin bout
some something (rhymes with schoolyard
I'm talkin bout youuuuuuu
I'm talkin bout youuuuuu, ouuu

"Found Out About You" by the Gin Blossoms from the album New Miserable Experience?

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:48 pm UTC

Can anyone tell me what the piece of music used in this video is?
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:14 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:Can anyone tell me what the piece of music used in this video is?

It seems to be a modern remix/interpetation of this. Sadly, I can't find anything about this modern version with drums. :(
Spoiler:

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:40 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:
AngrySquirrel wrote:Can anyone tell me what the piece of music used in this video is?

It seems to be a modern remix/interpetation of this. Sadly, I can't find anything about this modern version with drums. :(

Oh awesome, thanks :D
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Sam Knight

Postby Sam Knight » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:50 pm UTC

YAY!
I hope you guys are into some psytrance/house/techno/notsurewhatgenrethisis..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qil1J79xoeA

The bit after the top gear theme tune, I can't get it out of my head! Does anybody know what it is?

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:43 pm UTC

What's the background to this?

A comment says Apocalyptica, which was my guess originally too, and it definitely sounds like them. But I can't find the actual track on Spotify. (It doesn't help that it seems to have about 5 different versions of each album.)

starslayer

Postby starslayer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:16 pm UTC

Romance by Apocalyptica.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:59 pm UTC

I spent some time with some norwegians this past week. They listened to a band that I thought was pretty awesome, but I didn't get the right name (or something).

They were pretty poppy - very well produced. The sound was a really interesting mix of everything - folk/reggae/dance/rock. The iphone it was playing from said the band was "hot maestro" (i thought), and the norwegians said they were swedish (they sang in english), and there were "something like 15 members in the band".

Any clues? I assumed they were popular (good, but pretty standard pop), but "hot maestro" doesn't give any google hits so I guess that name is wrong.
-Adam

Sruixan

Postby Sruixan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:04 pm UTC

Right, I don't suppose anyone here might happen to be able to identify the bit of music playing here? I had a go with Shazam, but that bore no fruit, and now the damned thing's become an earworm I'm itching to know what it is... hilariously enough, the comments are filled with people asking for identifications of music at other points in the programme, bar this one section. Thanks in advance.
This is, er, no offense but you are a robot, aren't you?
That's just, um, beautiful, beautiful beautiful... just beautiful.
One hot summer's night Lorraine said: "It's time for you to see the lighthouse"
Dr. Ivanovich, was it really necessary?

Return to “Music”