Good book to learn bass on?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ArchaicHipster

Good book to learn bass on?

Postby ArchaicHipster » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:24 pm UTC

Hey all, I'm currently saving up for a bass, but while I'm waiting I'd like to have something to read through/study, so that I know at least the basics (ha.) of theory before I start. Does anyone have any suggestions for good titles, or any general advice for a newbie for that matter? Any help would be much appreciated.
“It is in the deserts and high places that religions are generated. When men see nothing but bottomless infinity over their heads they have always had a driving and desperate urge to find someone to put in the way.”
-Terry Pratchett

Grishnakh

Re: Good book to learn bass on?

Postby Grishnakh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:38 pm UTC

Not a book, but http://www.studybass.com/ is a great online resource for learning the basics(ha!).

Proginoskes

Postby Proginoskes » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:29 pm UTC

ArchaicHipster wrote:Hey all, I'm currently saving up for a bass, but while I'm waiting I'd like to have something to read through/study, so that I know at least the basics (ha.) of theory before I start. Does anyone have any suggestions for good titles, or any general advice for a newbie for that matter? Any help would be much appreciated.

Learn scales. When you start out playing bass with other people, you'll be playing the roots of chords. Then you can expand on that (especially when improvising) once you know where the rest of the chord tones are, relative to the root.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:20 pm UTC

What kind of music theory do you know already? Also, can you clap on beat?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

ArchaicHipster

Postby ArchaicHipster » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:48 pm UTC

Grishnakh wrote:Not a book, but http://www.studybass.com/ is a great online resource for learning the basics(ha!).

Thanks - that's a really helpful website!

Proginoskes wrote: Learn scales. When you start out playing bass with other people, you'll be playing the roots of chords. Then you can expand on that (especially when improvising) once you know where the rest of the chord tones are, relative to the root.

Everyone is telling me that, so it must be true. :P I'll keep it in mind.

Роберт wrote:What kind of music theory do you know already? Also, can you clap on beat?

I did ABRSM Theory Grade 2 (http://www.abrsm.org/regions/fileadmin/ ... ry0210.pdf), and I know enough music theory to sing in a choir (which I also do). And yes, I can clap on beat.
“It is in the deserts and high places that religions are generated. When men see nothing but bottomless infinity over their heads they have always had a driving and desperate urge to find someone to put in the way.”
-Terry Pratchett

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:04 pm UTC

ArchaicHipster wrote:I did ABRSM Theory Grade 2 (http://www.abrsm.org/regions/fileadmin/ ... ry0210.pdf), and I know enough music theory to sing in a choir (which I also do). And yes, I can clap on beat.

Perfect! Sounds like you have the foundation you need. The study-bass website sounds good, so I guess my main recommendation is get your hands on a bass ASAP, and once you're comfortable playing the root notes of chords, start playing with others and branching out on what you do. Keep in mind that the bass is a rhythm instrument: you're playing with the drummer, mostly. Obviously you need to be hitting good notes, too.

Used gear from something like craigslist (or whatever they have in Scotland) may be your best bet for getting a decent bass sooner.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

ArchaicHipster

Postby ArchaicHipster » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:48 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:I guess my main recommendation is get your hands on a bass ASAP.

Used gear from something like craigslist (or whatever they have in Scotland) may be your best bet for getting a decent bass sooner.

Yeah, that's a point. I was told of a music shop near me that offered a good deal for a starter pack (bass, amp, lead, case, strap, the whole shebang apparently), but they're not returning my calls at the mo. I'm really hoping that will work out, because if it doesn't I'm not entirely sure where I'll get one from - my budget is stupidly small at the moment. I realise shopping online for one isn't a great idea because you don't get to see what you're buying, but it seems to be where the cheapest stuff is - thoughts?
-Terry Pratchett

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:05 pm UTC

ArchaicHipster wrote:
Роберт wrote:I guess my main recommendation is get your hands on a bass ASAP.

Yeah, that's a point. I was told of a music shop near me that offered a good deal for a starter pack (bass, amp, lead, case, strap, the whole shebang apparently), but they're not returning my calls at the mo. I'm really hoping that will work out, because if it doesn't I'm not entirely sure where I'll get one from - my budget is stupidly small at the moment. I realise shopping online for one isn't a great idea because you don't get to see what you're buying, but it seems to be where the cheapest stuff is - thoughts?

My guess is the amp from the starter pack will be mostly worthless. Barely better than nothing. I have no idea what your budget is, but I have no idea what basses should cost in Scotland anyway.

Buying things on-line can be a little iffy but if you can't play bass yet you wouldn't get a ton of value out of "trying it out" in a store anyway. Shipping costs could be significant if you're on a tight budget, which is why the "used" source I mentioned was craigslist, since you pick it up locally. And that way you get to try it out first. Umm... looks like craigslist won't be a good option though, I found 0 results for "Bass Guitar" in the Glasgow craigslist. My local craigslist currently shows over hundreds of entries (not all of them are actually bass guitars, obviously, but I'd guess there's around 100 that are). What do people use for selling used stuff in Scotland? That really is probably your best bet.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:58 pm UTC

Dude. Go to a music store. Talk to those people, play some instruments. No other way.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

ArchaicHipster

Postby ArchaicHipster » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:16 am UTC

Welp, it looks like I won't be getting my hands on one for a couple weeks because it turns out the deal they're offering is double the price I thought it was. On the one hand that's good, because it implies the individual things I'm getting are better quality, but on the other hand I need to go eBay my DS now. (Don't worry, I'll find it a good home. :) )
-Terry Pratchett

Return to “Music”