What do you play?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Weasel

What do you play?

Postby Weasel » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:38 am UTC

I assume a lot of you out there play some instrument or another. And this seemed a good place to find out what!

I never really listened to much music growing up (and still don't really). I had to take a music class in middle school and played the Oboe for 3 years (badly). I wasn't allowed to tap my foot in class because it would throw me off. (I kind of wish I tried out for drums, but my mom pressured me to play oboe).

Then last summer, got to listen to guys play guitar around camp fires, and dated a guitar player, and although that was a crappy relationship, it got me bit by the guitar bug.

I bought myself a cheap ass guitar last November for my birthday. I can pluck out a few songs, and read tabs, but without someone around to give pointers and help me out, I'm kind of at a plateau :(

Eventually I want to learn to play piano, flute, and drums.

George Orr

Postby George Orr » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:45 am UTC

I've played the violin for 10 years, although I've never played it more than as a hobby. I mainly enjoy improvising, and playing in in groups with people. Not like orchestras, but like in chamber music groups. My sister plays the guitar, so we often play stuff together, especially fiddle music. It's a lot of fun.
Go, said the bird, for the leaves were full of children,
Hidden excitedly, containing laughter.
Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind
Cannot bear very much reality.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:55 am UTC

I used to play guitar, and drums. Both i had no total dedication to and stopped learning.

But does mixing music count? I don't wanna say I Dj cause i have no equipment and i use a laptop till i can afford some decks, but I've made a couple long mixes, and understand how to mix properly, and i haven't lost interest for the past 8 months or so...

But music wise, that's what i do.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:19 am UTC

Learning guitar. Out of a book. Just basic chords and scales at the moment, but hopefully I will get better. It's an acoustic, but I would love to get an electric. I used to play drums, but gave it up when it became too expensive.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:48 am UTC

I Air-guitar, it's cheap, mobile, and pretty easy to learn, but of course, hard to master.
=]

darry

Postby darry » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:38 am UTC

i've been playing guitar for about 10 years, completely self-taught. it takes a bit longer, but i think it makes you a more interesting guitarist. i'm doing singing as my first instrument at university, but i also play piano, bass and drums, a bit of mandolin and i'll have a go at anything i can pick up. i want to try and learn the trumpet soon, i might try and pick up a second hand one...

CatProximity wrote:awesome. chieftain seconded. Adding zeppelin.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:50 am UTC

darry wrote:i've been playing guitar for about 10 years, completely self-taught. it takes a bit longer, but i think it makes you a more interesting guitarist.

That's exactly what I'd do, I mean, do you think all the greats were taught? Uh-uh
=]

Root5

Postby Root5 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:52 am UTC

Dark Ragnarok wrote:I used to play guitar, and drums. Both i had no total dedication to and stopped learning.

But does mixing music count? I don't wanna say I Dj cause i have no equipment and i use a laptop till i can afford some decks, but I've made a couple long mixes, and understand how to mix properly, and i haven't lost interest for the past 8 months or so...

Hey Ragnorok, I mix music too. You can check it out at http://www.soundclick.com/Root5 (but I only ever put 1 up there at a time.) Any links to your stuff?

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:55 am UTC

I play guitar but haven't picked it up in too long. I've been trying to get back into it recently, but it's frustrating because I remember all the stuff I used to be able to play but can't any more.

I can't sing, and lack a band, so it's hard to find pieces that are worth playing on their own. Suggestions welcome :P

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:02 pm UTC

Pencils + Desk

Oh yes.

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:26 pm UTC

i'm a pianist, singer, guitarist, saxophonist, conductor, wanker and snob.
not necessarily in that order.

multiskilled ftw!
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:40 pm UTC

damienthebloody wrote:wanker

That counts? I forgot about that. I play that too.

PS_Mouse

Postby PS_Mouse » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:43 pm UTC

I have a harmonica, don't know any tunes and I'm decidedly average at playing it.
I wouldn't mind learning the piano at some point; people have been telling me I have the hands for it for ages (and I think it's a nice instrument).
I think I used to have a porpoise; then again, that might have been a dream. | Eternal life comes to those who wait
Never forget how the brave Tenzing Norgay outsmarted the evil Edmund Hillary

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:30 pm UTC

I used to play the french horn.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:33 pm UTC

semicolon wrote:
damienthebloody wrote:wanker

That counts? I forgot about that. I play that too.

I consider myself a virtuoso :P
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:42 pm UTC

I play the bass guitar and the piano. And there was *definitely* another exact same thread somewhere...
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:12 pm UTC

Right here as a matter of fact.

As I posted there: clarinets. Of many types. I've played Bb soprano, Bb bass, Eb contralto and Bb contrabass over the years, where my primary is the bass now (still do soprano for marching band).

I'm also a beginning composer, so hopefully down the road I'll be able to call the orchestra/band my instrument as well. :D

I also played tenor sax for a year in high school in our jazz band and in the pit for a musical (clarinet/bass clarinet/tenor sax, it was impossible to do a fast switch).

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:19 pm UTC

Saxophone. Alto Saxophone, specifically. I also am a Bass 2, if you count singing as playing vocal cords.

Within the next three years of my schooling, however, I am going to be learning, in some capacity: Piano, trumpet, trombone, baritone, tuba, french horn, various percussion instruments, pitched and non-pitched, clarinet, flute, oboe, bassoon, violin, viola, cello, and perhaps bass. Yay for methods classes and wanting to become a music teacher!
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:32 pm UTC

I've spent the last ~year trying to learn guitar. I still suck; although, I am happy to admit that it isn't as severe a suckage as when I started.

I used to play flute, grade 7 and 8 music class. Damn I wish I'd never stopped. I realize now that the flute was an awesome instrument and quitting was the really freaking stupid of me. Although, I can kind of see why I did it. I never practiced, I was horrible at reading sheet music (still am) and I couldn't remember half the fingerings for any given song.

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:54 pm UTC

I play violin and I love it. I've only been playing for a few months but it's not my first instrument so I picked it up pretty quickly. I'm not great yet, but I'm working on it.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:31 pm UTC

Werner solid-oak bass, Boston 15W Amp. I'm not bad.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:44 pm UTC

I used to play trumpet and was into it enough to start out as a Music Major, but I gave it up when I changed majors to engineering. I even sold my horn.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

ruderalis

Postby ruderalis » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:05 pm UTC

I was kicked out of band for bad behavior, and I decided that if anyone else can hear you being musical, then it's not worth it. So it's drum machines and synthesizers for me.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:40 pm UTC

I play clarinet and piano (in that order) and I would play sax if I had a nice alto to go with my nice alto moutpiece. Mostly jazz; I have some classical chops but I'm embarassed about them.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:32 pm UTC

Piano, tuba, clarinet for a little while, and a bit of the didgeridoo.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:53 pm UTC

Root5 wrote:
Dark Ragnarok wrote:I used to play guitar, and drums. Both i had no total dedication to and stopped learning.

Hey Ragnorok, I mix music too. You can check it out at http://www.soundclick.com/Root5 (but I only ever put 1 up there at a time.) Any links to your stuff?

haha. You may not not like what i have. I mix styles along with music.

But if you go on my myspace, http://www.myspace.com/darkragnarok

you'll find all my current mixes on my blog.

2 of them are happy hardcore, one is house/tech-funk/big beat/trance, and the other is house/trance/hardstyle.

If you want actual links PM me.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:54 pm UTC

Does anyone play the electric kazoo, electric triangle, or cow bell?

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:41 pm UTC

I'm learning how to play the guitar. Been learning since October? November? but I'm mostly studying it so I can learn music theory; I'm not expecting to be very good at it. I want to learn it so that I can write music to accompany the songs I write (I'm a decent songwriter/singer), and then once I've got some music to go along with my melodies, hopefully people (some of whom can actually play the guitar) will join a band with me. Oh, and not self-taught. Weekly lessons. *is lame*

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:44 pm UTC

I play violin a little bit, guitar a little bit, and I'd like to learn banjo.

I'm most interested in guitar right now. I feel better cranking the amp and kicking the distortion pedal into action than I do pushing the vibrato on a long high note on the violin.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:56 am UTC

I feel like I've posted and blathered on about this a lot. THIS IS THE LAST TIME, OKAY?

I am an oboe/composition major in university. Along with oboe, I play the English Horn. Outside of school, I play guitar and bass and sing. (Well, okay, I sing in school too, but NO ONE MUST KNOW at WLU that I play guitar.) My voice is a pretty sweet instrument because I'm good at imitating styles--gospel, latin, that kind of thing. My natural voice is very young-sounding to my ear.

I played the saxophones--all of them but soprano--in high school and was pretty good. I played the clarinet before I started oboe, and was pretty good at that too. I played the recorder in middle school, and ended up playing the bass recorder for a year or so.

I passed my piano proficiency course, and can comp enough to accompany my voice while singing cliche pop songs like "Hallelujah" and "Let it Be". And just about anything by U2.

I am Pretty Damn Musical.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:23 am UTC

Composition major? You should write something for the meetup. XKCD fugue in C#. Ha ha.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:58 am UTC

Har har.

Ren's "Symphony in 2.7182..." is scheduled to be written in third year. Does that count?
This year's project is to tell "Watership Down" in music. I'm pretty excited about it so far, actually.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:42 am UTC

Castaway wrote:I used to play the french horn.

So did my old girlfriend, but we broke up, because whenever we'd kiss she'd stick her hand up my ass.
=]

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:49 am UTC

Ren wrote:...Along with oboe, I play the English Horn. ...

:shock: <-- Face of newfound respect! English horn pwns!

I know a few basic things on guitar, though I've no formal training. Also, I took piano for fourish years but quit, and I now have a love-hate relationship with it.

My primary instrument, my baby, is my flute.

Yes I've been to band camp. It kicks ass. No my flute didn't go anywhere naughty. You are not clever for asking me these questions. Go die in a fire. (Okay, I don't actually want anyone to go die in a fire. Being asked those questions a mild nuisance I don't really find funny anymore)
No, I don't play jazz flute (in that I'm not in any jazz band).
Yes I know Jethro Tull. No I won't play Aqualung.

I'll be section leader next year. I desperately want to switch to alto flute, but can't afford it. Sometimes I play with a curved headjoint, sometimes I don't. I'd like to get a piccolo, but I don't want to be a piccolo. Eheu, internal conflict!
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:58 am UTC

Somnia wrote:No I won't play Aqualung.

That's okay, as long as you can play anything off Roots to Branches, especially Another Harry's Bar. God I loves me that CD.

Actually, I can play some Tull guitar parts. Namely Cheap Day Return. I'm working on Aqualung too.

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:02 am UTC

I played trumpet for 5 years then stopped (it literally WAS the fault of one of the band directors too), and never kept playing it at home. It still rests nicely under my bed. Oh, my Bach TH300 (TH? I think those were the initials), how I absolutely love thee~
Actually, I never practiced because of my brother. I have problems, I know, but I SWEAR it annoys the shit out of him. Maybe I'll go practice trumpet with my amazing any-instrument-above-the-sea friend(s). Actually, damn. Thank you for this thread. I have more confidence with my friends who make fun of how badly I play after 5 years than with my brother who is queerly silent.

I'm also starting up Guitar (Acoustic). I'm learning Gloria. Next up: Hotel California. If only my dog would stop hitting the damn thing and making noises at 3 in the morning.

I can tap rhythms on my desk at school pretty well; picked up that little trick while trying not to fall asleep. I can also keep time without looking at the conductor (I prefer not to look at the conductor unless I feel like I'm off/got lost) very well. I don't know how I can do it, I've talked with friends and they agree with me, you can just feel where the beat is without having to tap or anything.

Weasel

Postby Weasel » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:07 am UTC

My baby sister just got back from her second band camp of the summer. She plays Euphonium.

Anyone in the Lafayette LA area that plays Guitar?

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:26 am UTC

I play my vocal chords like nobody's business. I was one of those show choir girls (still am to a smaller degree.) Loved my soli and probably still know most of my high school music with a bit of prompting.

I'm a mezzosoprano when I solo (and quite wonderfully so), usually stick to soprano within choirs though. Most of my friends are non-musical, though my former roommate played guitar (owned both an acoustic and an electric) and alto sax.

My boyfriend is tone-deaf. I forgive him when he karaoke-serenades "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison though.
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:13 pm UTC

Phi wrote:I can also keep time without looking at the conductor (I prefer not to look at the conductor unless I feel like I'm off/got lost) very well. I don't know how I can do it, I've talked with friends and they agree with me, you can just feel where the beat is without having to tap or anything.

Isn't having an internal sense of rhythm mandatory for good musicians?

And on the subject of fugues (har har), I love good counterpoint. I think it has something to do with me being a very logic-oriented person. I intend on writing a fugue based on the Animal Crossing theme but haven't gotten around to starting it yet (or rather, I started it before I really knew anything about counterpoint or composition and now want to start over).

Somnia wrote:No my flute didn't go anywhere naughty. You are not clever for asking me these questions. Go die in a fire. (Okay, I don't actually want anyone to go die in a fire. Being asked those questions a mild nuisance I don't really find funny anymore)

I never found it funny in the first place. I think that anyone that has any respect for their instrument would never do such a thing.

haveblue

Postby haveblue » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:46 pm UTC

I've been playing guitar for some 4 years now (though it doesn't seem that long). I'm okay, but I don't practice enough.

Return to “Music”