Happy?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Happy?

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:23 pm UTC

Post music that never fails to make to put you in a joyous mood.

To start:
Mike Oldfield: Amarok. Especially the climaxes. I've got a playlist of happy that is just the climaxes one after another.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.
cjmcjmcjmcjm

Re: Happy?

Postby Bharrata » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:05 am UTC

Silver Jews - "People", "Like Like The The The Death"

Catch 22 - "Keasby Nights"

Almost anything by A Tribe Called Quest or Jurassic Five, been listening to much more of the former lately

DJ Shadow/Gift of Gab - "Swan Lake"

Nujabes - "Kumomi"

Les Savy Fav - "One Way Window" (yes it is a strange choice, but I'm sucker for dissonance and the opening 20 seconds)

Though maybe most of mine would be contently sublime rather than joyous.
Bharrata

Postby aldonius » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:12 am UTC

Most songs by the B-52's.

Most songs by the Cat Empire - 'How to Explain', 'Hello' in particular.

Blues Brothers - 'Everybody Needs Somebody to Love'

Ben Folds - 'There's Always Someone Cooler than You'
aldonius

Postby Annihilist » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:11 am UTC

Happy music makes me depressed.
Annihilist

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:55 pm UTC

aldonius wrote:Most songs by the B-52's.

The Truth was Said. That band is so consistently and spontaneously enjoyable that it almost convinces me they were involved in some sort of witchcraft.

Also, Daisy Click Clack by Stereolab (a song that gleefully erases the line between "cheesy" and "joyful", done by the band you'd least expect to do it), Wah Wah by George Harrison (well, most songs in All Things Must Pass qualify -- the whole album is the very essence of joy condensed into music), Elephant Gun by Beirut (predictable as hell, I know) and Heaven or Las Vegas by Cocteau Twins (in the immortal words of George Starostin, "Yes, Heaven, certainly not Las Vegas. How could you guys even suggest such an outrageous alternative?").

But I am outraged at the suggestion of chopping off Amarok. How dare you?! The utter flawlessness of that album is comparable even to Bach's Art of Fugue. The man is a master of dynamics, and in fact one of the things that bugs me the most about his post-Virgin output is the overreliance and exaggeration of climaxes. And the absolute lack of taste, but that is for another post. Hyperboles aside, Amarok is happiness in sonic form.
SirMustapha

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:06 am UTC

The abridged form is for when I do not have enough time for the full splendour of the album.

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.
cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:25 pm UTC

I realised I sounded a lot less facetious than I intended on my last post. Whoops. But yeah, your case is a slightly smaller travesty. It's certainly far less bad than when I saw a reduced version of Pink Floyd's Echoes, without the "noise bit in the middle". Damn philistines.
SirMustapha

Postby casualevils » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:58 pm UTC

Matt & Kim. 'Nuff said.
casualevils

Postby clockworkmonk » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:04 pm UTC

ska covers of pop songs.
418 I'm a teapot
clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby Amie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:30 am UTC

Happy Together - The Turtles
Radau - God is an Astronaut (Pretty much anything by this band)
Green is the colour - Pink Floyd
Genghis Khan - Iron Maiden
Love Bites; Rock hard, ride free - Judas Priest
T.N.T (oi oi oi oi) :D - AC/DC
Singing of a lifetime - Journey
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.
Amie

Postby philsov » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:41 pm UTC

REM - Shiny Happy People

I cannot think of a song with a higher lyrical density of positive words than this. Notably features the chick from the B-52s as a guest vocalist.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.
philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:07 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:I realised I sounded a lot less facetious than I intended on my last post. Whoops. But yeah, your case is a slightly smaller travesty. It's certainly far less bad than when I saw a reduced version of Pink Floyd's Echoes, without the "noise bit in the middle". Damn philistines.

There's also a Sine on You Crazy Diamond Lite version on the same compilation album, if we are thinking of the same thing

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby SHISHKABOB » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:51 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:I realised I sounded a lot less facetious than I intended on my last post. Whoops. But yeah, your case is a slightly smaller travesty. It's certainly far less bad than when I saw a reduced version of Pink Floyd's Echoes, without the "noise bit in the middle". Damn philistines.

why would anyone reduce a Pink Floyd song D:
SHISHKABOB

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:29 pm UTC

philsov wrote:REM - Shiny Happy People

I cannot think of a song with a higher lyrical density of positive words than this. Notably features the chick from the B-52s as a guest vocalist.

The failure of that song is that it was meant not to be heard as a happy song. Instead I recommend Me in Honey, which also features Kate Pierson. It's GREAT.
SirMustapha

Postby Black Dynamite » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:02 am UTC

SHISHKABOB wrote:why would anyone reduce a Pink Floyd song D:

I don't understand, either.

B.Y.O.B. by System of a Down always puts me in a good mood. Simply because it is fun to try to sing along and be obnoxious about it.
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!
(She, her, hers)
Black Dynamite

Postby philsov » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:17 pm UTC

The failure of that song is that it was meant not to be heard as a happy song

Seriously? Perhaps they shouldn't have made every single element about that song sugar-filled. :D

B.Y.O.B. by System of a Down always puts me in a good mood.

Eh. The first half is all jolly and good, but then there's the screaming and the talk of living in a fascist nation where we always send the poor off to die. It's a major buzzkill.

My SoaD happy song is Vicinity of Obsenity. Singing along with the "bananabananabananabanana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta pie" and not being happy is impossible.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.
philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:50 am UTC

philsov wrote:
The failure of that song is that it was meant not to be heard as a happy song

Seriously? Perhaps they shouldn't have made every single element about that song sugar-filled. :D

That was intentional. "Shiny happy people" was a mistranslation of a Chinese propaganda pamphlet (if memory serves me right -- it's either that or something very similar), so Stipe was talking about a fake, fabricated kind of "happiness", and the whole joy of the song is exaggerated for that. I think the problem is that nothing in the song makes the sarcasm explicit.
SirMustapha

Postby Black Dynamite » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:02 am UTC

philsov wrote:Eh. The first half is all jolly and good, but then there's the screaming and the talk of living in a fascist nation where we always send the poor off to die. It's a major buzzkill.

My SoaD happy song is Vicinity of Obsenity. Singing along with the "bananabananabananabanana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta pie" and not being happy is impossible.

The lyrics are very serious, yes. But trying to scream along makes me laugh.
I agree about that song, the singing is all over the place and hilarious.
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!
(She, her, hers)
Black Dynamite

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:19 pm UTC

philsov wrote:My SoaD happy song is Vicinity of Obsenity. Singing along with the "bananabananabananabanana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta pie" and not being happy is impossible.

This is the best song. They were galactically high when they wrote it.
The name of this thread reminds me of Mudvayne. Not very happy either.
broken_escalator wrote:Everyone knows afros are a hard counter to petrification.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby upandcomer » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:48 am UTC

Walk of Life - Dire Straits
upandcomer

Postby Mikeski » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:38 am UTC

This bit from the Gunslinger Girl soundtrack. One is required to bounce around the room listening to this. That is all.

Well, ok, knowing it's the same melody as this other bit amplifies the happy.
Mikeski

Postby Maraki » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:43 am UTC

Dream Theater's Overture 1928 always puts me in a great mood, I put it on whenever I go out on a walk, or am beginning a long road trip, always gives the right feel for the start of a journey.
Maraki

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:42 am UTC

Fat Bottomed Girls. It's my anthem. Also Bicycle Song. But that's not my anthem.
broken_escalator wrote:Everyone knows afros are a hard counter to petrification.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby ferristriangle » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:01 pm UTC

I have an entire playlist devoted just to this purpose.
ferristriangle

Postby DR6 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:14 pm UTC

Songs of Dragonforce, like Heart of a Dragon. Dragonforce is cool because it's the only band I have heard yet that tries to be both heavy and happy, and actually does it right.
DR6

Postby Diadem » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:54 pm UTC

For me, the most happy song ever is Skik - Op Fietse

It's a song by a Dutch band, sung in an local Dutch dialect that even many Dutch people have trouble following. But the entire song is just so happy and careless and free. He's singing about a cycling trip, going wherever fancy takes him, just enjoying the beautiful weather and landscape.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister
Diadem

Postby Negated » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:11 pm UTC

Negated

Return to Music