Awesome bands that nobody's heard of

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Blinke

Re: Awesome bands that nobody's heard of

Postby Blinke » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:38 pm UTC

I came across them some time ago and have been meaning to mention them here since then. Really great band, totally worth checking out.

fusillade2

Postby fusillade2 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:17 am UTC

DSenette wrote:too many posts to read through....anyone mention "Murder by Death"? yet (http://www.murderbydeath.com/)...they opened for Reverend Horton Heat (awesome!) when they came through town a year or 3 ago...they're a great band...really odd lyric/melody relation....interesting concepts and a hot chic with an electric cello....hot! also...the lead singer looks like wolverine (not hugh jackman...wolverine)....

I saw them open for Thursday awhile back. "Killbot 2000" is killer. Also, Sarah (the cellist) is so so so cute. :D

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:10 pm UTC

saw murder by death in a small club after o'death (the band i was there to see) opened for them. i left four songs in, unimpressed.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Guitarist_09

Postby Guitarist_09 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:00 am UTC

Ten Second Epic. http://www.myspace.com/tensecondepic

They're alternative rock, for those who are interested. :)

Lithium33

Postby Lithium33 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

jcidiot wrote:i listened to paramore before it became famous. then came "Riot!" and then playing for the movie Twilight. TWILIGHT!?!?!
SERIOUSLY, WTF?!?

</rant>
um, how about Acceptance? they broke up after 1 album, but... Cute is what We Aim For got signed on by fueled by ramen, so there goes the reallyindie tag.

good charrlotte, hit the lights, neverstore, punchline, quietdrive. its been i while since when i checked how popular they are, i just like the songs....

yellowcard? it is more popular now, though... heard some hot girls humming it recently.

and The summer set. GOD. not punk- more pop really, but it was catchy as hell. its probably gonna go paramore on me.

No one noticed this? I hope that this was sarcasm...

Anyways Neutral Milk Hotel is one of my faves. I know they're popular on the internet, but in real life I know zero people who have heard of them. And fuck those to-indie-to-be-indie haters. All this metaindie stuff is bullshit.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." Hunter S. Thompson

"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all." Neutral Milk Hotel

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:22 am UTC

Lithium33 wrote:

Anyways Neutral Milk Hotel is one of my faves. I know they're popular on the internet, but in real life I know zero people who have heard of them. And fuck those to-indie-to-be-indie haters. All this metaindie stuff is bullshit.
Wooo, word! I actually do know several people who listen to NMH, but yeah, the band is pretty obscure. I try getting other people to listen to them, but nobody else seems to appreciate their stuff :-/. I think this is in part due to Jeff's vocals--I can't imagine the band being half as good without his distinctive voice, but I can see how it could be annoying for "uninitiated" listeners.

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:17 am UTC

Smiling Hobo wrote:
Lithium33 wrote:

Wooo, word! I actually do know several people who listen to NMH, but yeah, the band is pretty obscure. I try getting other people to listen to them, but nobody else seems to appreciate their stuff :-/. I think this is in part due to Jeff's vocals--I can't imagine the band being half as good without his distinctive voice, but I can see how it could be annoying for "uninitiated" listeners.

*Nibbles on kitten*

Deeeeee deee da dee deeee
/Mangum
Last edited by ParanoidAndroid on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:40 pm UTC

Lithium33 wrote: fuck those to-indie-to-be-indie haters. All this metaindie stuff is bullshit.

i'm not sure what you mean by this, seems like you punched it onto the end of your post for some reason. what exactly is "metaindie"? to me, there is just the difference between listening to "indie" (aka non-radio) music and being "scene". i don't really understand what you're getting at here. as a person who listens to a lot of varieties of music, i am trying to figure out if you're a scene kid who hates non-scene kids or if you're a non-scene kid who hates scene kids.

EITHER WAY IT'S ALL THE SAME GET OVER IT.

do you see what i'm getting at here?

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:25 am UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:
i'm not sure what you mean by this, seems like you punched it onto the end of your post for some reason. what exactly is "metaindie"? to me, there is just the difference between listening to "indie" (aka non-radio) music and being "scene". i don't really understand what you're getting at here. as a person who listens to a lot of varieties of music, i am trying to figure out if you're a scene kid who hates non-scene kids or if you're a non-scene kid who hates scene kids.

Thank you.

In other news, Im going to go with The Script. I dont know of anyone but one friend locally who knows of them, other than me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW6F_g3upKA
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby J Spade » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

Nobody I know has heard of Estradasphere, but I'm willing to bet a few people here have. They fit my musical tastes perfectly, in that I have almost no preference for a particular genre of music, so long as the music is well-executed. I guess it follows that music with no clear genre would not be any different. And well-executed their music is. I've heard their live shows are excellent, as well.

I also love the video game references in some of their songs.

Lithium33

Postby Lithium33 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:24 am UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:
Lithium33 wrote: fuck those to-indie-to-be-indie haters. All this metaindie stuff is bullshit.

Yeah, I don't really know what I was talking about. I've tried to get people to listen to it, but they give me funny looks when they hear the horns/singing saws. :( I wish I knew some liker of NMH in real life, or at least 65daysofstatic/Explosions in the Sky likers.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." Hunter S. Thompson

"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all." Neutral Milk Hotel

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:33 am UTC

i didn't really find people who appreciated the same sort of music that i did until i went to college. the best thing that you can do for your friends is to just burn them a cd and maybe they'll listen to it a few times or whatever. everyone has their own memorable experience about getting into non-radio music and sometimes it's through friends. :!:

Andioje

Postby Andioje » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:41 am UTC

"Light a fire for a man, he will be warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life." -- Terry Brooks

PM for random conversation, I'll discuss just about anything.

Ax Savage

Postby Ax Savage » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:46 am UTC

Honestly one of the raddest bands I've ever heard:

A Love Like Pi Indie/ Electronic/ Rock.

Their so smooth and catchy.

Adam182

Postby Adam182 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:54 pm UTC

Blacktop Manhattan. They are an indie band that have unfortunately split up now.

sparks

Postby sparks » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:08 pm UTC

Stiffs, Inc. are pretty much awesome. They were a band based in NYC, and their songs are the perfect mix of science/history/film/Victorianna/Lit/weirdness. They have songs like "Mary Pickford, Marry Me" and a parody of Paris In The Springtime called "Panic in the Springtime". Their albums are kind of hard to find, except on ebay/etc, but you can download a couple of songs from their MySpace page and occasionally they send out bulletins with stuff like, where to get free songs and so on.

Kiss Kiss are really interesting. I think they have a new album but I only know the first. It has violins and creepy effects. Think Gogol B. gone awry.

Adam Heart is a glam rock project. Awesome, and also Adam looks a bit like a Bowie lovechild. That's my theory.

Luthea Salom isn't really completely unknown, but has some really good songs. Reminds me a bit of The Weepis, it's very guitar-y and calm.

Princeton are my personal fave off this list. They have songs about the Bloomsbury Group, for instance, and as an English major, I find that awesome.
(icon by clockwork-harlequin.net)
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." ~ Oscar Wilde

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:28 pm UTC

Lithium33 wrote:
jcidiot wrote:
</rant>
um, how about Acceptance? they broke up after 1 album, but...

I can't be bothered to find the original post...but Acceptance has more than 1 album. They had 1 release on a major label before they broke up yes. But I know of 1 ep and 1 full length before that. They were alot better before they signed to Dreamworks (I think). The label tried to turn them into another Coldplay clone.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:12 pm UTC

The Cliks

I saw them at Toronto pride yesterday, and they were absolutely fantastic. I love this band...

I picked up their latest album and am currently downloading the first one.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

This thread goes just as I expected.

Carry on, that, or buy me popcorn.
^ :/

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:39 pm UTC

Spiritualized, especially their album Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space. I'd say they're Alternative/Space/Psychedlic Rock, with some definite ambient and noise influences. To quote wikipedia...

"It attracted favourable reviews from the music press, including Allmusic, who hailed the album as "a masterpiece" and awarded the album 4.5 out of 5 stars. Ladies and Gentlemen went on to win the NME album of the year award at the end of 1997, beating Radiohead's critically acclaimed OK Computer and The Verve's Urban Hymns."

So, here's a link to a song from the aforementioned album...

Electricity

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:19 pm UTC

Nobodies mentioned Upstanding Youth yet. One of my favorite ska bands, local band from Hawaii that has been on a few tours out here in the mainland (continental US).

Only non-live song I could find on youtube

One of my favorite songs by them. Live video, so not of the highest quality.
Oh. Well that's alright then.

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:22 am UTC

Ari Herstand is frakking awesome. Proof. He plays guitar, trumpet, and beatbox at the same time. And he has a band with him, too.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:55 pm UTC

Next to no-one's heard of my band The Knutsens, but I think we're pretty awesome. See: http://www.myspace.com/theknutsens
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

liltimmy

Postby liltimmy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

I don't reckon many people will have heard of Candlemass or Powerwolf.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:34 pm UTC

The Littlest Man Band. It was a side project of Reel Big Fish trumpet/vocalist Scotty Klopfenstein, and he produced some really cool music. I'm not really sure what genre to place it in, but it reminds me of a sort of piano-bar style.

leinad

Postby leinad » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:38 pm UTC

Henry Cow, an early avant-prog band, founded/created Rock in Opposition
21. Peron, a 70's turkish prog band, mixes turkish folk and Stravinsky influences with symphonic prog
maudlin of the Well, avant-metal band (though they did a lot of stuff which sounds more like modern chamber music than metal), later became Kayo Dot
Thinking Plague, more recent RIO band
Rodd Keith, a "song poem" composer (wrote songs using lyrics sent in by amateurs to song poem companies)
Zs, current avant-garde trio, really intense

sorry if any of these have already been posted (Zs probably already has)

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:47 pm UTC

54-40

In the Top 3 for best live band Canada's ever produced. They've been around forever, have 19 albums, tour non-stop, and are just amazingly, excitingly fun. Ranging from sweet, sappy and often lame ballads to surprisingly-hard rocking tunes (especially considering the year some of them came out!), this is the best thing to come out of Tsawwassen since the ferry.

54-40 - Ocean Pearl <-- By far, their biggest hit, and one of their best songs. Speaker-shattering ten-minute song when played live, too.

54-40 - She-La - Still not entirely sure what this song is about, but for 1992, this is pretty good, no?

54-40 - Love You All - And my favorite 54-40 song. The video has... aliens, for some reason. There doesn't need to be a reason. Just enjoy.

I saw them open for Hootie and the Blowfish in the 90’s, and you could tell it was a Canadian show… when 54-40's set was over, half the audience cleared out. I’m glad we stayed, because the band came and sat in our row to watch Hootie, and I talked with them for probably twenty minutes.

MrEmu

Postby MrEmu » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:50 am UTC

jcidiot wrote:i listened to paramore before it became famous. then came "Riot!" and then playing for the movie Twilight. TWILIGHT!?!?!
SERIOUSLY, WTF?!?

Don't you even dare cry to me about Paramore. What about poor Muse? Whenever I hear Supermassive Black Hole... ugh, it makes me want to decapitate a small animal (I didn't like that song before Twilight came out either). Now Muse's other stuff, on the other hand, is generally awesome, and at least here in the states not many people have heard of them.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:56 am UTC

MrEmu wrote:Now Muse's other stuff, on the other hand, is generally awesome, and at least here in the states not many people have heard of them.
Really? They played a show here four years ago and I couldn't even get in because it sold out a day in advance, and their popularity has only multiplied since then (in no small part due to Guitar Hero 3).

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

MrEmu wrote:
SERIOUSLY, WTF?!?

Don't you even dare cry to me about Paramore. What about poor Muse? Whenever I hear Supermassive Black Hole... ugh, it makes me want to decapitate a small animal (I didn't like that song before Twilight came out either). Now Muse's other stuff, on the other hand, is generally awesome, and at least here in the states not many people have heard of them.

Erm, I think just about every teenage boy and teenage girl has at least *heard* of them in the US. They are wildly popular where I'm from.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:18 am UTC

for those of us who were listening to muse in 2003 when absolution came out, their current rise to popularity isn't surprising, but is a tad annoying.

Oppenheimer

Postby Oppenheimer » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:37 am UTC

Things between "" are band names. Then there is a asong of that band.

"Abarax" - Crying Of The Whales (pretty much Pink Floyd, but this are pure genius)
"Holy Fuck", electronica-house-garage-tecno-math-alternative-lounge-core
"!!!" (yes, that's the real name of the band) electronica-house-garage-tecno-math-alternative-lounge-core-nugarden-shoegaze

Note: Look for the last 2 on wikipedia if you must see to believe, they exist.

Have you met my friend C20H25ON3?

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:59 am UTC

!!! pronounced chk-chk-chk

holy fuck is mediocre, but if you like them you'd probably also like boom boom satellites. check them out.

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:00 am UTC

I saw Holy Fuck at Sled Island this year. They were bobbing their heads up and down and hopped around in one place for about 45 minutes.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

HalfEvil333

Postby HalfEvil333 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:28 pm UTC

As a New Zealander I find it's very common for someone to have not come across any of our 'Homegrown' bands.

I will admit that there are not very many out there that are actually any good. However, there are two that are total amazing. These being Goodnight Nurse and Midnight Youth.

I have listened to all of Goodnight Nurse's songs that they have released and I have enjoyed every single one. I highly recommend them. Midnight Youth are a band that have only recently began rising to fame in New Zealand and I really think you should check out their songs. I have only listened to two of their songs but they are both great. I've linked some of the better songs by Goodnight Nurse and the 2 songs of Midnight Youth's that I have heard.

Goodnight Nurse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svB515QhM8U Goodnight Nurse - The Night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Ewo378NWI Goodnight Nurse - Death goes to Disco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLKeKqzRXL8 Goodnight Nurse - My Only

Midnight Youth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cpZ9uBmIek Midnight Youth - The Letter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ3yVsgqEoA Midnight Youth - All On Our Own

I would also like to add that this is my first time posting on these forums. I hope everything is set out properly :P
Spoiler:

Loves: Photoshop, Games, Music.
Hates: Life.

PlayingMonkey

Postby PlayingMonkey » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:05 pm UTC

I have not gone through this entire thread so here is my two cents:

Porcupine Tree - psychedelic rock
Thinking Plague - contemporary rock?
Why? - sorta a rap thing, but very creative
Deerhunter - interesting indie band sorta crossed btwn Animal Collective and Grizzly Bear
Bubblemath - jazz influenced progressive rock with awesome chromatic harmonies
Deerhoof - band that formed at my college that's pretty good. I actually haven't listened to anything they wrote but people seem to really like it.
Explosions in the Sky - imagine GY!BE except happier and shorter =]
Ozric Tentacles - Jazzish psychedelic rock? sorta hard to describe, but they're pretty cool.

That's it for now.
I require something interesting here. Alas, I have no intelligence or patience to deal with it.

Quibop

Read my ridiculous blog http://randomlyevolving.blogspot.com/

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:07 pm UTC

yeah deerhunter is the shit.

notallama

Postby notallama » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:34 pm UTC

spinnerette

i thought it would be well known, considering that everyone involved is somewhat well known, but apparently not.
it's brody dalle's (distillers) new band. alain johannes (qotsa) is in the band and did a lot of the writing for the album, too.

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:00 am UTC

RT: Shouldn't this be merged into the "Suggest a band" thread? They're pretty much the same concept.

And yeah, Deerhunter is the shit.

(nothing to contribute)
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

Carolus

Postby Carolus » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:46 am UTC

Poets of the Fall are a Finnish rock band that are pretty awesome.

Return to “Music”