Where Is Your Source For New Music?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

coolasj19

Where Is Your Source For New Music?

Postby coolasj19 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:10 am UTC

Meaning, where do you go when you need something new to listen to? The front page of a site? A blogger? ( blogs please, they feel more personal :) ). I'm running a bit low on new things. More specifically, radio pop. I enjoy it a lot of the times but, I swear if I hear Adele or Katy Perry one more time -_-. Of course, there's much more to discuss. But, finding new sites and music is great too.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Re: Where Is Your Source For New Music?

Postby Microscopic cog » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:34 pm UTC

Friends mainly. I frequent sites too:

- Metalsucks for regular metal (but mainly for fun, not that much into metal)
- Stuff You Will Hate satirical youth culture site, but lots of posts about fun/weird music.
- Last.fm Only rec's more of the same stuff so not that usefull, but discovered some fun stuff via neighbours/friends' their charts.
- Effort is Hard Indie/folk/weird music. Has some good stuff. (Also mediafire links)
- Stoner Robixx For anything Stoner/Psychadelic/Doom
- No Gods, No masters Metal/weird stuff
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

Obby

Postby Obby » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:55 pm UTC

One of the music sites I frequent has a list on the right side of the screen that displays artists that have similar musical qualities to the band you are currently looking at. So if you're looking at the website's page for, say, Led Zeppelin, you'll get suggestions on the right side for Pink Floyd, The Who, Them Crooked Vultures, Jimi Hendrix, and many many (many) more. I find most of my new music this way.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:21 pm UTC

There's always Pandora.com or Slacker.com
-Adam

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:59 pm UTC

YouTube (find a "video" of by an artist you like, click recommended "videos" until you find something you haven't heard and like).
Wikipedia (go to an entry for an artist you like, click on the genre page to learn more about the genre, click on the "List <genre> Bands" link, proceed to YouTube with names of new bands you haven't heard of in a genre you're learning about).

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:58 am UTC

Pandora has done me well in the past. Nowadays I usually scour the depths of YouTube.

I think you would like Kimbra.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:57 am UTC

Hype Machine is good, but they tend to favour kinda indie electronica style stuff. There is always one or two tracks that break the mould though.

flarpfreak
Location: Next to a salty body of water, no, it's not the ocean

Postby flarpfreak » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

I usually talk to friends or use Pandora and/or Spotify
Wait, what?

CaptainFinglass

Postby CaptainFinglass » Thu May 03, 2012 12:30 pm UTC

There's one site called archive.org which has three million odd songs for free download and about a hundred thousand live concerts. Just start scrolling through the list, pick a letter you like, and then find a band you've never heard of. It works well.
Allons-y!

trendytriping

Postby trendytriping » Sat May 05, 2012 9:52 pm UTC

Pandora and youtube without any doubt .

lizkatz

Postby lizkatz » Sun May 13, 2012 4:10 pm UTC

Pandora, Lastfm, or word of mouth

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat May 19, 2012 10:10 pm UTC

Pitchfork, last.fm and word of mouth.

psyEDk

Postby psyEDk » Tue May 22, 2012 7:23 am UTC

great thread :)
As a DJ always hunting for that next killer track, i try to avoid limiting myself to one single website.

Often i might just search my favourite track of the day on beatport and see what the site suggests.

Last.fm has always been good with recommended artists (helps having it catalogue over 4 years listening habits), and similar artists.

More often than not though, i find i'll just grab all the releases from the recent week and see what i like!
It's a great way to find new artists, proverbially throwing your net out into the ocean of music and seeing just what you catch.

@ OP

If you like radio pop, you should be checking the UK Top 40 charts or the Billboard charts, if you don't already.
Not so much to keep up with trends, but that'll for sure give you a list of artists to seek out :)
psy/OPs :.
Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter
¯ Project 2501

ArchaicHipster

Postby ArchaicHipster » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:33 pm UTC

NPR's All Songs Considered show is brilliant - I get the podcast, since I don't live in the States. That usually sets me up for music absolutely no-one else has ever heard of - I have a username to maintain, after all :P I also watch Later...With Jools Holland, a British TV music show, when it's on. And of course, it helps to have a circle of friends who are very serious about their music and always willing to recommend me a band.
“It is in the deserts and high places that religions are generated. When men see nothing but bottomless infinity over their heads they have always had a driving and desperate urge to find someone to put in the way.”
-Terry Pratchett

willaaaaaa

Postby willaaaaaa » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:12 am UTC

Pandora, Grooveshark, and chaining Youtube's related videos. :)
"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life." - Bill Watterson

tms

Postby tms » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:09 pm UTC

The library. And my favourite net radio.

psykx

Postby psykx » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:42 pm UTC

spotify, autobrentte (german deep house/minimal) and word of mouth. I used to use last.fm but my music taste changes too much and is quite specific for it to be useful.
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:50 am UTC

Taking wiki walks on wikipedia or youtube.

"Recommended for you" on amazon.com. (Or browsing used-CD stores, which I haven't done in years.)

This forum.

Hearing new stuff as OP/ED music to the anime I watch.

Way back when, rec.music.progressive, and the ytsejam community. (Which doesn't help anyone here all that much.)

Word of mouth from a couple friends who share my musical tastes. (Which helps even less.)

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:17 pm UTC

While i do all the stuff others have mention (last fm, youtube, wikipedia) i enjoy going to http://elbo.ws/ is an aggregation blog, they give you trending artists/videos, and have new blogs posts (from other blogs) every few minutes.
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

astrekmaster

Postby astrekmaster » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:09 am UTC

I hear about new music from my friends, Pandora, or Satellite radio. Sometimes I find a band I like/know and then listen to their other stuff on a streaming music site.
I define progress on a computer problem as getting a different error message.

miura

Postby miura » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:38 pm UTC

Podcasts mainly. The Gareth Emery Podcast has been a favourite for years. Mainly progressive trance.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:22 pm UTC

6music mainly, they play a lot of new music that I like. Also I get weekly emails from a local indie shop, and allmusic. Plus I check the site for my favourite indie label every now and then.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Dissident Love

Postby Dissident Love » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:01 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:Stoner Robixx For anything Stoner/Psychadelic/Doom

I WAS PROMISED STONER MUSIC. I AM VAGUELY MAD, BUT NOT ENOUGH TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

I find Facebook groups linked off of bands I do like. I got led to some great fuzz / stoner / psychedelic groups that way, discovered a dozen new bands in a week. Currently hunting through the British metal scene.
addams wrote:The whole of the US Population is a Special Needs Group.
Yeah, but we're just ordinary Earthlings, not wierdos from another planet like he is.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:59 pm UTC

I mostly check new stuff at MFVF but since that's probably far away for the most of you you can use their playlists. 2013 was completely available in Spotify.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:04 pm UTC

Forgot to mention good old fashioned radio.

But for me most of it isn't band from "New Artists" probably "New Songs" by Artists I already know, but radio tends to be a month or two behind album releases.

http://wber.org

TomtomandBill

Postby TomtomandBill » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:17 pm UTC

Man, this is like one of my constant struggles. Couple of solutions, though - Spotify's radio based on individual tracks you like can be pretty good, I've found some good tunes that way. Reddit's r/listentothis or other genre specific subs can be helpful, and YouTube's video recommendations can also be pretty useful. Then again sometimes it's just completely random. Pandora kinda gets stale sometimes and eventually I usually default to recycling old tunes, ha. But yeah...Grooveshark can be pretty good, too.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun May 17, 2015 10:53 pm UTC

Since Grooveshark has gone down under (though it's not even available in Australia anymore), I'm letting kollekt.fm do the work. I find it a good source for (dutch) deep house, and it probably performs equally well in other genres.

Since it's by a start-up company, I expect the money extraction scheme monetisation plan to roll out in a year, but for now it's completely free*. It piggy-backs on youtube, facebook and soundcloud for media anyway, so it's most likely that they'll want to collect money from artists for targeted promotion to users.

*except for the part where it allows youtube (google), soundcloud, facebook and kollekt.fm to track your musical preferences. But if you have problems with that, you already have safety measures.

Euphonium

Postby Euphonium » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:27 am UTC

Austin City Limits or the guests on Prairie Home Companion, usually.

I used to be able to say Letterman, but :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:02 am UTC

Goodwill and other thrift stores. I go there, pick out any random records/tapes/CDs that look intriguing, and walk out with hours of music for a few bucks.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Azaex

Postby Azaex » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:48 am UTC

I DJ a small college radio station, playing mostly electronic music. I primarily get most of my releases from a record pool called ZipDJ, which breaks a good amount of new tracks. Besides that...

Wavo.me has been a good source for breaking new electronic records, as well as the occasional remix contest. Genre naming is kinda funky sometimes, but I just browse the initial page anyways.
Beatport Pro's front page is always waiting to dig around. Skim the Top 10 to see where the industry is going, pick a genre, hit Tracks at the top, and dive in.
A couple of YouTube channels are great at filtering through the good artists. Names that come to mind like Proximity, Nik Cooper, xKito Music, AirwaveMusicTV, MrDeepSense, MrSuicideSheep. Each one has their own flavor and visuals, but I'm around for their filtered music collections :)
Soundcloud is...an interesting resource. If I find a track I like but I'm not too familiar with the genre, I'll search for their track on Soundcloud and dig through the related songs. Usually that gets me a good small collection of artists that define that genre. Admittedly, it's a good and bad feeling when you find an artist that has <1000 plays though, because you actually discovered a new act, but probably won't find more for awhile.

Cheers

Return to “Music”