Metal

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Postby hellmitre » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:21 am UTC

Hmm...
What would you guys label Killswitch Engage and Avenged Sevenfold? Because I label most of my stuff that has been sub-genred in this thread under metal. So where would they fit in?

Stuff I'd classify as metal I'm into at the moment:
    Killswitch Engage
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Lamb of God
    Machine Head
    In Flames
    Disturbed (surprisingly good)
    Trivium
    40 Below Summer
    American Head Charge
    edit: woops, left out a few:
    Mudvayne
    Slipknot (Iowa? Duality? Two songs made of unadulterated, unfiltered, un-FCCed win
    As I Lay Dying

edit again: now in love with Hatebreed, after searching the iTunes music store for playlists labeled 'Metal'.
Kirby gives presents! And then he inhales them and becomes the semi-automatic gas operated carbine weapon he gave you! Kapow kapow!
hellmitre

Postby Marbas » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:54 am UTC

What about Industrial Metal/Rock/Coldwave which all tend to get lumped into one group?

Cubanate
KMFDM
Pig
Orgy
Pigface
Revolting Cocks
The Young Gods
Chemlab
Sister Machine Gun

Also, the subgenre thing gets a lot worse with Industrial, not because of the amount, but because of the elitism.

[rant]
Harsh EBM fans get upset and say Futurepop isn't TROO INDuZtrial111!one. Futurepop and EBM fans are annoyed by Noise and say it's total crap. Then there's the camp that says anything that isn't dark-ambient, harsh noise, or experimental electronic is not Industrial. Then there's the Power Electronics fans who say that Noiseheads need to place more emphasis on composition and that Power Noise is for sissies because it has a recognizable rhythm. Last but not least is Military Pop and Neo-Folk, which seem to be the hip new thing in Industrial/Post-Industrial circles. But the noiseheads hate this because Neo-Folk is crap and not true Industrial because it's sissy and doesn't have enough electronics.
[/rant]

And everyone fucking hates Coldwave.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?
Marbas

Postby damienthebloody » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:32 am UTC

@Marbas - I have a favourite way of dealing with snobbish industrial fans - shoot them. Seriously. Fucking imbecilic.
Interestingly, I wouldn't lump any of the bands you've listed into metal - I suppose in general I don't think of any industrial bands as metal. That's not to say I don't love them, though :)

Also, you left out Skrew.
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.
damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby Marbas » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:52 am UTC

damienthebloody wrote:@Marbas - I have a favourite way of dealing with snobbish industrial fans - shoot them. Seriously. Fucking imbecilic.
Interestingly, I wouldn't lump any of the bands you've listed into metal - I suppose in general I don't think of any industrial bands as metal. That's not to say I don't love them, though :)

Also, you left out Skrew.

I stopped bothering with minute genre classifications long ago. I also don't know much about metal, its' sub-genres, etc, as I haven't heard much, so you are probably right! Also I was unsure of their genres to begin with.

But they are definitely awesome. My favorite among that bunch is The Young Gods.

I have never heard of Skrew before. I am more into Dark Ambient than anything else, which is probably the reason I don't know about them, that and the fact that Industrial Metal is positively tiny when compared to other subgenres, and that they disbanded when I was 8.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?
Marbas

Postby damienthebloody » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:16 pm UTC

Skrew is somewhere between Ministry and broken-era NIN. The album "Shadow of a doubt" is a whole lot of kickass thrashy industrial fun, with fucking fantastic drum samples. Good stuff. I have another album, "burning in water, drowning in flame", but the title is far better than the music. Skip it.
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
damienthebloody

Postby Jack21222 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:38 am UTC

Man, most places my taste in music would be too heavy for people... In this thread, my taste in metal is too soft.

Newer metal bands that I like:

Avenged Sevenfold
All That Remains
Lamb of God
Trivium
As I Lay Dying
Dream Theater
Killswitch Engage
Bleeding Through
Unearth

Of course, I do love the classics... Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Deep Purple... but everybody loves those.

Speaking of Slayer, I almost put them in the "newer" category since they keep putting out quality records, unlike, say, Metallica. Current favorite slayer song/video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPy1ZHpJdZ8
Jack21222

Postby Phenriz » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:10 pm UTC

No Pantera lovin?
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!
Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby damienthebloody » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:16 pm UTC

no pantera loving. at all. except for the metal magic album, becuase that's just awesome.

In other news, I just got back from seeing Alchemist, and they were absolutely fantastic. For those who don't know them, they are a psychedelic metal band from Australia, and they are wonderful. They have my vote for being the most danceable metal band ever, and come with a very high recommendation from me.
for those who do know them, here's tonight's setlist:

First Contact
Wrapped in Guilt
Chinese Whispers
Single Sided
Tongues and Knives
Yoni Kunda
Anticipation of a High
Austral Spectrum
Nothing in No Time
God Shaped Hole
Gasp at Air
Garden of Eroticism
Substance for Shadow
Eve of the War

Fucking fantastic. I'm still stoked.
damienthebloody

Postby Phenriz » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:16 pm UTC

hellmitre wrote:Hmm...
What would you guys label Killswitch Engage and Avenged Sevenfold? Because I label most of my stuff that has been sub-genred in this thread under metal. So where would they fit in?

Killswitch is good, Avenged Sevenfold is not.

(if you really must give it a label beyond that i'l lump Killswitch in with whatever label Fear Factory has, and Avenged Sevenfold as pop/rock)

damienthebloody wrote:no pantera loving. at all. except for the metal magic album, becuase that's just awesome.

In other news, I just got back from seeing Alchemist

Far Beyond Driven was a great album!

Anyway, Alchemist is pretty slick thanks for introducing them to my musical playlist.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!
Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:47 pm UTC

damienthebloody wrote:Chinese Whispers

Only song on the entire setlist I've heard. Unfortunately, I like it not one bit and it's the first one on the album, so I only rarely get around to listening to the entire thing.

Also, I totally agree about the no Pantera lovin'. Of course, I haven't heard anything from their glam days, but I hate everything after Phil joined the band.

In other news, I've recently acquired Candlemass's new album. I actually like this album most out of what I've heard from them. Rob Lowe did a blood fantastic job.
The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby Jack21222 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:13 pm UTC

and Avenged Sevenfold as pop/rock

Are you high? Is "Seize the Day" the only A7X song you've ever heard or something? If so, that's like calling Metallica "emo" because of "Nothing Else Matters."

Their first two albums, Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and Waking The Fallen were clearly heavy metal albums. Yes, they have heavy hardcore punk influences, but I wouldn't call that pop. Each album tends to have one slow song. Warmness of the Soul on StST and I Won't See You Tonight on WTF.

In their latest album, City of Evil, they've clearly moved into the "hard rock" genre, but only "Seize the Day" could be classified as having pop influences. We'll see what their album released on 10/16 brings.

What's that? [citation needed?] Ok, here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4kPylllwLw Eternal Rest from Waking the Fallen (played over one of those obnoxious Advent Children videos)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Jt-0B0WpU Second Heartbeat (from Waking the Fallen)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQyxENKNGMI Darkness Surrounding (from Sounding the Seventh Trumpet)

Even from City of Evil, you have http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6PA5A6Xf44 Burn it Down

Yes, not pure heavy metal. Hardcore punk or Metalcore or any number of hybrids... but NOT pop/rock. Nickleback is pop/rock.
Jack21222

Postby damienthebloody » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:37 am UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:In other news, I've recently acquired Candlemass's new album. I actually like this album most out of what I've heard from them. Rob Lowe did a blood fantastic job.

It's freakin excellent. I love it to bits.

Also, i'm kind of surprised you do'nt like alchemist. maybe you should try their album "lunasphere". it's pretty special.
damienthebloody

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:03 am UTC

damienthebloody wrote:Also, i'm kind of surprised you do'nt like alchemist. maybe you should try their album "lunasphere". it's pretty special.

I can't really say I don't like them. Just, I really don't like Chinese Whispers and it kind of stops me from listening to the rest of Spiritech.

I trust your judgment though, I'll try to find Lunasphere.
The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby damienthebloody » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:39 am UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:
damienthebloody wrote:Also, i'm kind of surprised you do'nt like alchemist. maybe you should try their album "lunasphere". it's pretty special.

I can't really say I don't like them. Just, I really don't like Chinese Whispers and it kind of stops me from listening to the rest of Spiritech.

I trust your judgment though, I'll try to find Lunasphere.

While you're at it...if you can track down jar of kingdom, do. It's their first album, and it's just bizarre. It's a really weird mix of psychedelic death grind surf rock with hints of disembowelment and old paradise lost...really, really special.
damienthebloody

Postby Tb0ne » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:07 am UTC

Good Stuff not mentioned yet:

Nevermore
Autumn Leaves
Amaran
The Arcane Order
Celtic Frost
Atheist
Decapitated
Pagan's Mind
Tb0ne

Postby damienthebloody » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:13 am UTC

...i'm really embarassed for leaving celtic frost off my original list.

*shoots self in face*
damienthebloody

Postby Tb0ne » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:17 am UTC

You can't deny the awesomeness of Frost. INTO THE CRYPT OF RAYS!

Plus the have pretty much the best metal comeback ever.
Tb0ne

Postby damienthebloody » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:29 pm UTC

"...Sitting on his Jeweled throne!"

Yeah. In fact, Monotheist is my favourite of their albums, which came as a great big surprise to everyone, I think.

Now playing: Anorexia Nervosa - New Obscurantis Order
damienthebloody

Postby Cai » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:34 pm UTC

The only things close to metal that I listen to are Mastodon, Hot Water Music and Converge. Maybe Pelican. All of those bands belong more in another genre though.
Cai

Postby Ishindri » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:15 am UTC

The four metal bands I like (and coincidentally, the only bands I like) are Dragonforce, Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian, and Dream Theater.

Dragonforce - It was my introduction to power metal, and I still enjoy their songs, but I prefer their earlier works. Inhuman Rampage is okay, but most of the songs sound just too similar. Valley of the Damned has more variety, and to a lesser extent, Sonic Firestorm. Through The Fire and Flames, Valley of the Damned, and Cry Of The Brave are all awesome songs.

Sonata Arctica - Great band, I have only two of their albums (For The Sake of Revenge and Unia), but I want moar. The World's Forgotten, The Word's Forbidden is possibly one of my favorite songs evar.

Blind Guardian - My second power metal band, and quite possibly my favorite. Their music has a quality to it that sends chills down my spine (in a good way.) Otherland, Nightfall, and Straight Through The Mirror are among my favorite songs here.

Dream Theater - I just got my first Dream Theater album (Systematic Chaos) a few weeks ago, it's a really great album. Five minute instrumental solos FTW. In The Presence of Enemies and The Ministry of Lost Souls rank high here.
Ishindri

Postby lowbrass » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:08 am UTC

What can I say, I <3 death metal. Sometimes, you just need your music to feel like a jackhammer to your eardrums. For instance:

Nile
Arsis
Decapitated
Cannibal Corpse
Necrophagist
Death
Behemoth
Cephalic Carnage

Children of Bodom
Arch Enemy
In Flames
Dark Tranquillity
Amon Amarth
Scar Symmetry
At The Gates

Most of these bands have been around for a long time (10+ years). I'm also a big fan of some of the newer stuff:

Mastodon
3 Inches of Blood (one of my favorite bands - they have a song about how metal is awesome)
The Black Dahlia Murder
Shadows Fall
All That Remains

I'm of the opinion that it really doesn't matter what you call it as long as it kicks ass. I really have only one rule, and that is metal bands aren't allowed to wear eyeliner (that's right, fuck you hair metal. I call you butt-rock instead).
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
lowbrass

Postby damienthebloody » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:35 am UTC

lowbrass wrote:I'm of the opinion that it really doesn't matter what you call it as long as it kicks ass. I really have only one rule, and that is metal bands aren't allowed to wear eyeliner (that's right, fuck you hair metal. I call you butt-rock instead).

You are opposed to eyeliner?

How can you say such a thing?
damienthebloody

Postby lowbrass » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:49 am UTC

Sorry, I made a gross and negligent error. Errata to my one rule: ghoul paint is excluded from the rule. I was thinking more along the lines of

NOT METAL
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
lowbrass

Postby damienthebloody » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:55 am UTC

Phew.

Remember, kids, IMMORTAL = Second Most METAL thing ever.
damienthebloody

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:58 am UTC

My god... my eyes... MY EYES!!!! They burn!
Death is the final sorrowful parting from which there is no return. But hope is not yet lost, for there is a simple incantation, a spell of transmutation that brings about the reversal, that permits escape from the infinite well.

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby damienthebloody » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:13 pm UTC

Well.

I just saw Napalm Death. To which I say "HECK YES".

APEC is on in sydney, they've built a great big fence so we can't get in, and inside, our elected representatives are raping the nations that they've been entrusted with. So what better way to celebrate this bullshit than by going to see motherfucking Napalm Death.

Also, Blood Duster supported. What more can you ask for?

...and I'm out.
damienthebloody

Postby Ishindri » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:37 am UTC

Oh, one more thing. The best thing about Sonata Arctica? Their keyboard player looks like a demonic dwarf. I am not even kidding. Watch this video and look at him. Or, just check his profile on the official Sonata Arctica website, which I take it users of this forum have enough proficiency to Google :wink:
All is well. We are not like the others.
Ishindri

Re: Metal

Postby damienthebloody » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:56 am UTC

Festival of the Dead was in Sydney on Saturday...the following bands played/kicked arse :D

Ruins: decent, if not overwhelmingly amazing black metal from Tasmania. Played a very good set, worth checking out.
Terrorust: the reformed version of the legendary grind band Damaged, but lacking the same vitality. Still played a very decent set, and are worth checking out - best song was the cover they did of a malevolent creation song, but I couldn't tell you which it was. This song is reasonably representative (if poorly recorded).
Fleshgore, a melodic death/thrash (they advertise themselves as brutal deathcore, but they fool no one) outfit from Ukraine played, but sucked so much arse that I'm not going to link to anything to do with them. Utter rubbish.
Astriaal: Black metal from Queensland - used to play very much in the mold of Emperor and Dissection, but have in more recent times developed their own sound, which is refreshing (not that there is anything wrong with sounding like Emperor or Dissection, but it's good to do something new). AND they played my favourite song of theirs - Revere the Labyrinth.
The Amenta: Industrial Black metal from Sydney - in the studio, these guys are wonderful, but live it's always a disaster, and this was no exception - a great big mess of noise and uninformative sound...a shame really. Still, should be heard - Erebus.
Blood Duster: Still the funniest stoner grind band in the universe. Played a short but refreshingly awesome set, including Piss Stomper, which grooved like hell.
Akercocke: very, very classy blackened death metal (or is it deathy black metal) from the UK. Were superb. This is the lovely Axiom, from Antichrist.
And finally, The Berzerker. I left before they started - they play techno grind or something. I heard their sound check, and they were suitably fast/stupid, but a lot of people seem to like them, so...Eye for an eye.
Enjoy!
damienthebloody

Postby java » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:40 pm UTC

I know what the OP means about always thinking thinking thinking, thinking about things, thinking about people, etc... I too find that I always over analyze things. I also like metal. Avenged Sevenfold FTW! Something about the riffs and scales makes metal seem so much more musical for me than a lot of other music. I could listen to a good metal guitar solo all day.
java

Postby Benitosimies » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:28 pm UTC

Type O Negative is the first music I remember hearing. Then White Zombie.

I still like 'em.

Also: Corrosion of Conformity.

Devildriver. Their The Fury of Our Maker's Hand album is cool for playing vidgames to.

Coal Chamber.
хлэб и Воля
Benitosimies

Postby Aglet » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

The Sword is the best metal band ever. Also, Dethklok. Metallica is pretty good, but most of their stuff is just an extended solo. Impressive technically, but not that much fun to listen to.
Aglet

Postby M3GARH0D » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:42 pm UTC

For me its hard to categorise metal what with all the different sub-genres these days as so many people say *insert name* is shit and *insert name* used to be awesome before they got all MTV on our ass.
Metal I suppose can be classified as something we define as heavy and awesome...however the downside to this side of my opinion is that any random bozo can say a band like The Killers are heavy and awesome (which they are NOT!). Which is why I shall re-evaluate my statement with the added sentence "TO A CERTAIN EXTENT!"

Rant over...here are some examples of who the Metallians of todays society are (btw what are the best ways of discovering underground music without using the internet or going to local concerts).

Metal
THE Metallica (anything pre-1989 tho i surprisingly have hopes for the new album:s)
Megadeth (not including Risk or Cryptic Writings)
Dimmu Borgir
Mayhem
Slayer
Anthrax
Killswitch Engage
some of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai's material
Rammstein
Hanzel und Gretyl
Dragonforce
The Haunted
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin (the creators even if alot of their stuff was bluesy)
Firewind
KoRn, Slipknot, Papa Roach, Avenged Sevenfold Linkin Park (yes I know :? no remarks about any of those please)
Stone Sour. (not nu-metal, probably not metal but its at least decent rock)
Pantera
Damage Plan
Hellyeah
Nine inch Nails
Ministry
Cradle of Filth
Nightwish
Clutch (older material but the newer stuff I comfortably live with)
Turisas
Morbid Angel
Moonspell
In Flames
Bruce Dickinson
Lauren Harris (Iron Maiden bassist Steve Harris's daughter)
Napalm Death
Finntroll
Within Temptation
Arch Enemy
Shadows Fall
Machine Head
Dream Theater

god there's too many to mention....guess you'd probably have to ask me if you know me and I'd be able to tell you. Next person to post Please as I'm done.
“When people start copying your style, you know that something must be happening.”

Next Person to Post please Cos I'm done here now.
M3GARH0D

Postby Skateside » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:25 pm UTC

4 pages and no-one's mentioned Helmet?!?!?!

For shame
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?
Skateside

Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby damienthebloody » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:10 am UTC

Skateside wrote:4 pages and no-one's mentioned Helmet?!?!?!

For shame

...cos they're not a metal band?

(awesome as they are).
damienthebloody

Postby WolfShirts » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:09 pm UTC

Sludge, grind (although not metal, they're always lumped in <_<) and black are the only kinds I like.

I almost did a sludge/doom/black radio show, but I instead did volunteer work =/
Less sass. More blasts.
WolfShirts

Postby Koeppi » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:39 am UTC

Everyone should grab Primordial's newest 'To The Nameless Dead' from a p2p network of their choice and preorder the Limited Edition at once. This is not negotiatable.
Insert quote from awesome scientist here.
Koeppi

Postby damienthebloody » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:00 am UTC

I may have to do that, Koeppi. They're very good. :D
damienthebloody

Postby Skateside » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:11 pm UTC

damienthebloody wrote:
Skateside wrote:4 pages and no-one's mentioned Helmet?!?!?!

For shame

...cos they're not a metal band?

(awesome as they are).

I disagree with that. They're pretty metal. Hardly thrash, I'll admit, but they've definately got a heavy metal sound to them, and their music's great for headbanging. What more do you really need to define a band as "metal"?

Also, don't know if anyone's already mentioned them, but are Children of Bodom still considered metal?
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?
Skateside

Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby damienthebloody » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:20 am UTC

Of course Children of Bodom is a metal band.

And Helmet is a great, great band, but I've always thought of them as a hardcore band. Same with Mark of Cain. I can give you no more justification than that, really.
damienthebloody

Re:

Postby Cai » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:15 am UTC

Cai wrote:The only things close to metal that I listen to are Mastodon, Hot Water Music and Converge. Maybe Pelican. All of those bands belong more in another genre though.

Okay, so I got Call of the Mastodon and Blood Mountain. My love for Mastodon has increased exponentially. While I am a bit disappointed with Blood Mountain, there are a few songs that immediately stand out to me. However, Call of the Mastodon is absolutely amazing. They make me want to get into metal. What are bands that are like Mastodon? I am completely nub metal.
Dreamers never live, only dream of it.
first.am
Cai

PreviousNext

Return to Music