Metal

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sarr

Re: Metal

Postby Sarr » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:37 pm UTC

So, is this a "post up your bands, get moar music" kinda thing? If so, can I get in on this?

My metal collection:

Alestorm
Blind Guardian (Lots of it)
Blue Oyster Cult
Blood Ceremony (If you like laid back stoner-doom, give this shit a listen, it's great)
Blue Cheer
Dragonforce (Old Shame/Guilty Pleasure)
Dream Evil
Electric Wizard
Hammerfall
Iron Maiden (Lots of it)
Iron Maiden (Because it's worth saying twice)
Led Zeppelin
Skindred
Sleep
Sonata Arctica
The Sword

As you can see, I'm a big power metal/retro metal kinda guy. Not a big screamo/growly fan (Amon Amarth is about the growliest thing I can stand), but I'm up for most other stuff, so... whad'ya recommend?
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:23 am UTC

If you like Sleep and Electric Wizard you need to listen to Black Sabbath. I'd recommend Master of Reality.
Also, Flower Travellin' Band are a Japanese band from the 70s with a big Led Zeppelin influence, but a heavier and more psychedelic sound. Check out their album Satori.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

Seeing them live friday.

AHAHAHA *sucks up the envy*
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

novax6

Postby novax6 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:31 pm UTC

Sarr wrote:So, is this a "post up your bands, get moar music" kinda thing? If so, can I get in on this?

My metal collection:

(bands)

As you can see, I'm a big power metal/retro metal kinda guy. Not a big screamo/growly fan (Amon Amarth is about the growliest thing I can stand), but I'm up for most other stuff, so... whad'ya recommend?

Based on that list I would say definitely check out:

-Kyuss
-High on Fire
-Grand Magus
-Spiritual Beggars
-Turisas
-Ensiferum
-Tyr
-Om (members from Sleep)
-Finntroll
-Slough Feg
-The Gates of Slumber
-Priestess
-RAM
-Wino (or any of his projects really)
-Crescent Shield
-Pharaoh

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:55 am UTC

Dasboard wrote:
Seeing them live friday.

AHAHAHA *sucks up the envy*

At first I was going to make an envious ragepost, but...

Have a good time and tell us how awesome it is, yeah?

Also, Rondo and Novax, thank you, I will check those guys out.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

RAGUS

Postby RAGUS » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:14 am UTC

I have a question to pose to my fellow metalheads:

When did Metal and Nerd merge?
When did it become standard procedure to listen to Meshuggah while playing Final Fantasy? To blast Strapping Young Lad on the way to Akon?

I, as a lang standing metalhead, did not get this memo. I mean, I guess I fall into a bit more of the old school meat-head style (Pantera, etc) so i'm pretty much destined to not understand, but playing Slayer while in Full Metal Alchemist cosplay just seems wrong.

Is it that modern metal is so multi-faceted that one can dive into it so deeply, that you can inundate yourself with the culture the same way one would Star Wars or the anime world? There are more metal bands than there are Pokemon, is there a new sect of Metalheads thats "Gotta catch 'em all"?

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:28 am UTC

I'm sure there's a Venn diagramme, one circle with 'nerd culture' and one circle with 'metal culture' overlapping. I think it doesn't overlap as much as the Nerd/Chamber Music Venn diagramme, and especially not the Nerd/Masturbation one (shirley just a single circle?)
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:33 pm UTC

yeah fantasy metal and viking metal and power metal are pretty ridiculous. You can tell it's guys that sat around playing guitar and dungeons and dragons all day erry day.
I would say, though, that it is indeed because there's so many subgenres, for each and every taste.
It could also be that metal is more in the GENERAL culture, or a bit more forward, so now it's not unusual to listen to the dark rhythms of those that descend from Scandinavia. A lot of people like Meshuggah--and that's probably cause I hang out with music majors, but still.
uhhhh fuck.

DecemberSoul

Postby DecemberSoul » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:58 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:I'm sure there's a Venn diagramme, one circle with 'nerd culture' and one circle with 'metal culture' overlapping. I think it doesn't overlap as much as the Nerd/Chamber Music Venn diagramme, and especially not the Nerd/Masturbation one (shirley just a single circle?)

I don't doubt that non-nerds masturbate too ;)

Metal is just Not Cool. Like RPGs, anime, maths, and the rest of my life :P

TheAmazingRando wrote:If you like Sleep and Electric Wizard you need to listen to Black Sabbath. I'd recommend Master of Reality.
Also, Flower Travellin' Band are a Japanese band from the 70s with a big Led Zeppelin influence, but a heavier and more psychedelic sound. Check out their album Satori.

Do you really think he hasn't listened to Black Sabbath?! Heehee. But thanks, I'm going to check out Flower Travellin' Band now (:

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:00 am UTC

DecemberSoul wrote:Do you really think he hasn't listened to Black Sabbath?! Heehee. But thanks, I'm going to check out Flower Travellin' Band now (:
I found it very unlikely, but he didn't list them so I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Cheburashka

Postby Cheburashka » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:01 pm UTC

RAGUS wrote:I have a question to pose to my fellow metalheads:

When did it become standard procedure to listen to Meshuggah while playing Final Fantasy? To blast Strapping Young Lad on the way to Akon?

I, as a lang standing metalhead, did not get this memo. I mean, I guess I fall into a bit more of the old school meat-head style (Pantera, etc) so i'm pretty much destined to not understand, but playing Slayer while in Full Metal Alchemist cosplay just seems wrong.

Is it that modern metal is so multi-faceted that one can dive into it so deeply, that you can inundate yourself with the culture the same way one would Star Wars or the anime world? There are more metal bands than there are Pokemon, is there a new sect of Metalheads thats "Gotta catch 'em all"?

Well, first, playing video games isn't really enough to make you a nerd anymore...

And yeah, there is the fantasy/power/viking/folk (although a lot of the last two actually take their lyrical themes seriously) that fits quite well with the games.
...and to the Akon thing, I don't see how that has to do with nerd?

Heh, maybe playing helps people feel less nerdy? :P I do think the outcast thing matches both with metal and nerd...

But anyway, I don't see how liking a certain genre of music should decide your other interests. We're not all satanist-chain-wearing-corpse-painting-anti-social people obsessed with death, people who like rap aren't all "gangstas," etc. If something sounds good to you, it sounds good.

---
Your last paragraph seems a little contradictory to me- to "inundate yourself with the [metal] culture" would seem to be the opposite of what all your above examples are doing. But, it is still too general- one can be immersed in many things, I don't see that would be a reason why nerds would listen to metal.

RAGUS wrote:There are more metal bands than there are Pokemon

I had to put this separately, because it just made me laugh. :P
RAGUS wrote:There are more metal bands than there are Pokemon,

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:01 pm UTC

Ah, sorry. No idea what I was thinking when I posted that, sorry. Didn't mean to be a dick.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:59 pm UTC

RAGUS wrote:I have a question to pose to my fellow metalheads:

Nerds and Metalheads have a lot in common.

If you're a nerd, you have a passion. You like to do something in detail and collect knowledge about it.

If you're a metalhead, you love metal. There are no metalheads who listen to metal to pass the time. They fuckin' LOVE it. You know who was in your favourite bands at what time, who stabbed whom 23 times, and who ate whose brains afterwards.

Cheburashka

Postby Cheburashka » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:11 pm UTC

the_stabbage wrote:You know who was in your favourite bands at what time, who stabbed whom 23 times, and who ate whose brains afterwards.

LOL, sadly, this is true.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:00 pm UTC

Ahh yes, mayhem. You also know who took pictures of the lead singer's suicide, and what his suicide note was ("Sorry for all the blood and the noise"). Burzum's busy releasing dark ambient music cause he's not allowed to have a guitar in prison. Mmmm, tasty arson.

I was this close |---| to buying Blackwater Park on vinyl. Twenty-three bucks is too many bucks, though.
uhhhh fuck.

Cheburashka

Postby Cheburashka » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:22 am UTC

Midnight wrote:Burzum's busy releasing dark ambient music cause he's not allowed to have a guitar in prison. Mmmm, tasty arson.

You know Varg's been out since last year? Belus has been out for a few months now. :P

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

I'm not enough of a fan to keep up, no. I thought he had life in prison for the whole murder/4-burned-churches thing?
Regardless, it's good to have nazi murderers out of prison.
uhhhh fuck.

Cheburashka

Postby Cheburashka » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:47 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:I'm not enough of a fan to keep up, no. I thought he had life in prison for the whole murder/4-burned-churches thing?
Regardless, it's good to have nazi murderers out of prison.

Haha, I don't really like Burzum tbh... the vocals everyone loved him for, I could never really settle with. :P It's just it was huge news, at least on metal forums and such. :P He got out in... May? last year after serving 16 of his 21 sentenced years. :/

But yeah, that's why they let him out, of course.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:46 pm UTC

Dasboard wrote:

Ah, sorry. No idea what I was thinking when I posted that, sorry. Didn't mean to be a dick.

I believe you missed a very important part of my post - how was it?

And yeah, I've listened to Sabbath before, but I don't really have any of their albums (a couple scattered songs, but nothing big).

RAGUS

Postby RAGUS » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:48 pm UTC

Sarr wrote:And yeah, I've listened to Sabbath before, but I don't really have any of their albums (a couple scattered songs, but nothing big).

Black Sabbath is King. You can hear so much of what came after in rock and metal within those first few Sabbath albums. From Slayer to Silverchair, everyone listened to Sabbath.

Check out the Nativity In Black tribute albums, they are really cool. The first one has Megadeth, Crowbar, White Zombie, Faith No More, Type O Negative (my favorite), and a ton more. The second has Pantera, Machine Head, Monster Magnet, Static X, System Of A Down, and ALSO a ton more. If you find yourself not getting into Sabbath much because they're too old school, try out some of these, they will likely give you some new perspective.
Anything worth doing, is worth over-doing...

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:17 am UTC

RAGUS wrote:
Sarr wrote:And yeah, I've listened to Sabbath before, but I don't really have any of their albums (a couple scattered songs, but nothing big).

Black Sabbath is King.

BLACK METAL IST KRIEEEEEEEGGGG
uhhhh fuck.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:19 am UTC

RAGUS wrote:
Check out the Nativity In Black tribute albums, they are really cool. The first one has Megadeth, Crowbar, White Zombie, Faith No More, Type O Negative (my favorite), and a ton more. The second has Pantera, Machine Head, Monster Magnet, Static X, System Of A Down, and ALSO a ton more. If you find yourself not getting into Sabbath much because they're too old school, try out some of these, they will likely give you some new perspective.

I'm not sure I could advocate anyone listening to Monster Magnet or Static X. :P

Anyways, anyone heard the new Enslaved? It's pretty much amazing, and is easily my album of the year so far. So much on there to like, it's the pinnacle of their newer sound IMO. These guys have been consistently awesome for a long time, and this just seals their fate as one of the best metal bands out there.

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:28 pm UTC

Sarr wrote:
Dasboard wrote:

I believe you missed a very important part of my post - how was it?

And yeah, I've listened to Sabbath before, but I don't really have any of their albums (a couple scattered songs, but nothing big).

Haha, thanks.

It was insane

Cheburashka

Postby Cheburashka » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:06 pm UTC

Holy shit, how have I not seen this before, I even "have" Nifelvind, but managed to miss this. At 1:15 or so, I nearly died laughing. :P

FINNTROLL - Under Bergets Rot (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

eigengirl

Postby eigengirl » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:27 pm UTC

Sarr wrote:So, is this a "post up your bands, get moar music" kinda thing?

Can I get in on this too?

I have albums by <10 metal bands which I listen to over and over but I'd like to branch out. Favourites:
Machine Head
Kyuss
Lamb Of God
Stone Sour
System of a Down
Metallica (pre TBA)
Fair To Midland
Trivium

I prefer to err on the side of less screaminess. Also I realise most of my stuff is fairly mainsteam and I want to listen to some less well-known bands.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:26 pm UTC

Are you saying you dislike or like a lot of screaming? Confuseeeed.

So I just made two small lists of some of my favourite metal bands.

Screaming/grunting
- My Dying Bride. ( Also mixed with clean singing. Doom metal )
- Electric Wizard ( Stoner doom, insane. Check out Funeralopolis. You'll be suprised. )
- Shining ( be sure to look up the one from Norwegen as there are more bands with this name. Check out their album Blackjazz. Especially the songs The Madness and the Damage done part 1, Helter Skelter and their King Crimson cover 21st Century schizoid man )
- Dir en Grey ( Japanese stuff, if you're into it. Vinushka is insane. Also Grief is excellent. They also use clean singing quite often. )
- Celtic Frost ( Their new album. Insane. Especially A Dying God coming into human flesh )

Clean singing:
- You probably heard Serj Tankian's solo stuff, but it's excellent. ( Feed us, The unthinking majority )
- Tool ( Freaky stuff. Check out Jambi ( Don't watch the official video, it is creepy as hell ), Vicarious, the Pot, Right in two )
- Anathema ( All of their songs, except from the newest album, as that's not metal but still awesome. Fragile Dreams, Empty )
- Black Sabbath. ( Hell Yeah. N.I.B., Children of the grave, Iron man )
- Devin Townsend / Devin Townsend band / Strapping Young Lad / Devin Townsend Project ( All bands with Devin Townsend. All insane. Especially the albums Ziltoid the Omniscient ( A concept album about an alien attacking the earth for coffee beans which he uses for time travel by Devin Townsend ), Ki and Additced by the Devin Townsend Project. The first two albums in a concept series of four, both ridiculously good. )
- Katatonia ( Their latest three albums are sweet. Check out Ghost of the Sun, My twin, July, Evidence )

I think that's enough for now. Let me know what you think about them. I tried to name bands that both were not too wel known and still fitted your music taste a bit, even though that was kind of hard as I'm no big fan of some of the bands you listed. ( And didn't knew Fair to midland ) But I can say that all the bands I listed are unique and awesome.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:04 pm UTC

eigengirl wrote:
Sarr wrote:So, is this a "post up your bands, get moar music" kinda thing?

Can I get in on this too?

Honestly, probably a better way to do this, instead of giving people looking for related music a new list every time, I'm just going to suggest plugging in some of those bands into Pandora and seeing what you get, or going to Last.fm and either entering a band into the radio, which is similar to Pandora, or just entering a band and checking out what it says the related bands are.

That and just check out any bands mentioned in other lists, and see what tickles your fancy.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:11 pm UTC

Yeah, good point. It's easier and probably has a larger database.

Still, I like talking about bands I like so I don't mind making lists and saying which songs will melt your brain.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

Brother Maynard

Postby Brother Maynard » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:07 am UTC

Pandora is pretty damn horrible for metal. I once put in Therion and got this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yTsQbXn9oQ

novax6

Postby novax6 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:08 am UTC

Haha, well, that is weird. It works alright once you have a few bands in the system though.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 am UTC

I had trouble with Pandora as well. A few months ago I was trying to put together a good bread-and-butter thrash station, starting with Metallica radio and trying to work the other 80's thrash groups into it, and I finally just had to give up - no, I don't want to hear Paradise City. I finally just moved onto randomizing my metal playlists in Grooveshark which gives me more control and is excellent.

Anyway, I highly recommend this guy's list of some of the best 2010 metal albums as of July. It's not all my cup of tea, but it's a short enough list, it has YouTube clips and you're bound to find some gems. Levi/Werstler may be my favorite thus far from this list.

Somehow I keep going back to Gojira and the Georgian sludge bands that have been coming out of the woodwork this decade (not just Mastodon and Baroness - Kylesa and Black Tusk are pretty amazing as well, and it seems that Savannah alone is prompting some great progsludgewhateveryoucallit).

novax6

Postby novax6 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:00 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:I had trouble with Pandora as well. A few months ago I was trying to put together a good bread-and-butter thrash station, starting with Metallica radio and trying to work the other 80's thrash groups into it, and I finally just had to give up - no, I don't want to hear Paradise City. I finally just moved onto randomizing my metal playlists in Grooveshark which gives me more control and is excellent.

Anyway, I highly recommend this guy's list of some of the best 2010 metal albums as of July. It's not all my cup of tea, but it's a short enough list, it has YouTube clips and you're bound to find some gems. Levi/Werstler may be my favorite thus far from this list.

Somehow I keep going back to Gojira and the Georgian sludge bands that have been coming out of the woodwork this decade (not just Mastodon and Baroness - Kylesa and Black Tusk are pretty amazing as well, and it seems that Savannah alone is prompting some great progsludgewhateveryoucallit).

I dunno, I added about 10 bands to start with on Pandora, and i've never gotten any weird or inappropriate songs. Bands i'm not personally fond of sure, but not anything close to Paradise City, haha.

That list was definitely not my thing. Only 2 or 3 good bands on there, and while I've always been a fan of In Mourning, I don't think it's the best of the year. That InVain band sounded pretty good though, along with the Levi/Werstler song, so cool to find new bands at least.

Kylesa is definitely awesome though, I'm big fan of their last one. Still listen to that a ton, and it just gets better every time.
I got to see them opening for High On Fire last month too, and they ruled live.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:08 pm UTC

I found a cool-ass band!

Skagos

They're from British Columbia, and sound a lot like Wolves In The Throne Room.
Spoiler:
Although I don't like WITTR :?

Environmental themes, basically it's hippie black metal which is strange-sounding until you consider themes of nature (especially "nature is awesome and humans suck") have been part of black metal since probably the Second Wave.

I need more black metal since it's snowing right now. I love halloween :D

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:30 am UTC

I'll just leave this here....

SQUUEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Arabascan

Postby Arabascan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:03 pm UTC

Acapella Metal!
Here's their "Wishmaster"-Interpretation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCGQiGEYl4Y
"Everyone has his price. Mine is a clean conscience."

If I make any spelling or grammar mistakes, just tell me (if you stay polite).
(Edit:Or if I write anything stupid.)

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:57 pm UTC

J the Ninja wrote:I'll just leave this here....

SQUUEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

The singer and guitarist are born in the place where I live at the moment. Every now and then you hear people saying they saw one of them at the supermarket or so.

Van Canto's hilarious. :D
Spoiler:

Arabascan

Postby Arabascan » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:23 am UTC

And my friends' parents know the vocalist from In Extremo.

eigengirl

Postby eigengirl » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:47 pm UTC

I think the announcement that Download will be headlined by System of a Down next year is an excellent reason to bump this thread.

HELL YES
Last edited by eigengirl on Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Arabascan

Postby Arabascan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:46 pm UTC

SOAD is back? SQUEEE!!! *jumps around spastically*

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:43 pm UTC

Yes.

They are not coming to Holland though. Not-so SQUEE. :(
Spoiler:

Return to “Music”