God help me, I like Skrillex

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

piwakawaka42

God help me, I like Skrillex

Postby piwakawaka42 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:48 am UTC

As the post says, I recently listened to a guitar cover of scary monsters and nice sprites and just got what Skrillex was trying to do for the first time. I think the reason I like it might be the fact that it's complex and can actually be played on a guitar. I've heard him described as dubstep, but a quick search for that on youtube doesn't seem to be giving me what I want. Is that because I've got the genre wrong, or because the first stuff to come up on youtube is mainstream crud.
Also, does liking Skrillex mean I lose any credibility as a metalhead :wink: ?
The difference between magic and technology is quite simple: If it works, it's technology; if it doesn't work, we call it magic and get all mushy about it-Theodore Gray

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Re: God help me, I like Skrillex

Postby Dthen » Thu May 17, 2012 11:51 am UTC

piwakawaka42 wrote:As the post says, I recently listened to a guitar cover of scary monsters and nice sprites and just got what Skrillex was trying to do for the first time. I think the reason I like it might be the fact that it's complex and can actually be played on a guitar.

Yay! It's always great when you discover you like something new.

I've heard him described as dubstep, but a quick search for that on youtube doesn't seem to be giving me what I want. Is that because I've got the genre wrong, or because the first stuff to come up on youtube is mainstream crud.

A bit of both. There's some disagreement & confusion as to what constitutes dubstep & Skrillex definitely has his own very distinctive style.
The disparity mainly stems from the evolution of the genre. What people would call dubstep now is very different from what was considered dubstep in the early stages of the genre's development.
If you describe which elements of his music it is that you like, I might be able to point you towards other artists who incorporate similar elements.

Who cares? :P
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Thu May 17, 2012 12:21 pm UTC

Dthen wrote:
piwakawaka42 wrote:

This, basically. Disregard other people's (and yours) overly strong, unsolicited opinions on music and acquire fun times!

Like Dthen said, Skrillex really has his own sound. Because dubstep is a relatively new genre, for pretty select audience, there's just aren't a lot of artists yet, and those who are there are all quite distinct and have their own style. But there are a lot of remixes. So maybe try to find some of Skrillex songs and see if people who remix it have put out something similar.

There's also a dubstep thread somewhere in this forum that has some great recommendations and discussion.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Thu May 17, 2012 12:34 pm UTC

It's here.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu May 17, 2012 12:57 pm UTC

I consider dubstep the metal of electronica, just cuz it's so heavy on the bass. But Skrillex is Sonny Moore, who used to be the singer of a hardcore band called From First to Last. So, if you do care, I say it's not a problem.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:06 pm UTC

Dthen wrote:

Remember that to metalheads, metal isn't music, but rather a way of life.

But in all seriousness, I agree with what Dthen and Microscopic Cog have said, find what you like, and don't be afraid to enjoy it.

piwakawaka42

Postby piwakawaka42 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:18 pm UTC

What I like about Skrillex is the catchy hook, followed by the brilliantly heavy...breakdown? drop? bit where, to quote a webcomic, it starts to sound like two robots having sex? (what's the right term for this?). The other bit I like is the fact that it's complex, with lots going on-some other types of electronicy dancy music that I checked out just seemed so simplistic (I think it might have been drum n bass, but I can't remember). Thanks, everyone :D
The difference between magic and technology is quite simple: If it works, it's technology; if it doesn't work, we call it magic and get all mushy about it-Theodore Gray

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri May 18, 2012 2:37 am UTC

The official term is drop. I say everything you said can apply, though.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

D.B.

Postby D.B. » Thu May 24, 2012 12:35 pm UTC

You sound like you're going through exactly the same thing as I have been. Metal may be a cruel mistress, but one feels bad cheating on her.

I suggest googling 'bro step', one of the less derogatory definition of which is

People use the word Bro-Step (or Brostep) to diss very loud, noisy, often-but-not-always American Dubstep that practically sounds like heavy metal.

It seems to hit the spot a bit more for me than 'proper' dubstep.

And if you also happen to be a 'broney' then I can't recommend Omnipony enough.

I dislike having to type 'bro' this frequently -_-

Return to “Music”