Tegan and Sara

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Tegan and Sara

Postby Alisto » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:23 pm UTC

So I recently made plans to visit a friend in Georgia in November and we're going to a Tegan and Sara concert. This is now the official Tegan and Sara thread.

1. I love the live version of "This is Everything".

2. I love that they tell stories during their shows. I think that's what I'm looking forward to the most; them just talking.

2a. For a good example of their stories, go to youtube and search for "Tegan and Sara cat story".
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.
Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby nrioq » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:25 pm UTC

Ha! I'm actually listening to So Jealous at this exact moment. My wife and I will be seeing a show by them the day before Thanksgiving.
nrioq

Re: Tegan and Sara

Postby Freyja » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:50 am UTC

Alisto wrote:So I recently made plans to visit a friend in Georgia in November and we're going to a Tegan and Sara concert.

I'm just going to say I think it's a positive omen that we were (accidentally) listening to the same T&S song at the same time. But as cool as that is, we're so not allowed to do that again. It's kinda creepy.

And by the way, you need to get "The Con" so we can discuss it.

Oh, and for the rest of you out there who may not yet have guessed: I heart Tegan and Sara. I actually kinda want them to have my babies. They'll probably be dark haired, but I think that as long as they have my blue eyes, we'll be fine.
Freyja
I love all peanuts, but I want THAT one.

Postby mrguy753 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:50 am UTC

I love their songs "the con" and "back in your head". The Con especially is super catchy/awesome. They are sweet.
I sing anyway.
mrguy753

Postby liza » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:04 am UTC

As soon as I get back to fast/reliable internet connection, I'm downloading the Con. I don't usually like poppy music, but I less-than-three Tegan and Sara.
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.
liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby taggedunion » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:41 am UTC

Is "The Con" the "I just want back in your head" song?

'Cuz I can't get it out of my head. :)
Yo tengo un gato en mis pantelones.
taggedunion

Postby Meowsma » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:56 am UTC

Okay, so I may have a Tegan and Sara CD in my car. And I may like it.

Conversation from when I first heard about them:

Friend(2:51:19 AM): k in the mean time I'll be listening to this really gay band
Friend (2:51:25 AM): Tegan and Sara
Friend (2:51:26 AM): it's like
Friend (2:51:30 AM): 14 year olds
Me (2:52:10 AM): Sweetness.
Friend (2:52:20 AM): It's really
Friend (2:52:21 AM): really
Friend (2:52:22 AM): odd
Friend (2:53:49 AM): [link to album]
Friend (2:53:54 AM): that's the weird stuff
Me (3:08:17 AM): AH!
Friend (3:08:24 AM): ah!
Me (3:08:33 AM): What the hell is this music?!
Friend (3:08:36 AM): lmfao
Friend (3:08:40 AM): oh
Me (3:08:41 AM): And why is it eerily enchanting?
Friend (3:09:55 AM): I can't explain it
Friend (3:10:02 AM): it's catchy in a way
Friend (3:10:10 AM): but it takes the cake for gay in my library
Friend (3:10:13 AM): well
Me (3:10:32 AM): I have Belle and Sebastian in my Library, so this isn't anywhere close to taking the gay cake.

--Meowsma
Meowsma

Postby mrguy753 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:26 pm UTC

taggedunion wrote:Is "The Con" the "I just want back in your head" song?

'Cuz I can't get it out of my head. :)

No. That would be "Back In Your Head", also a good'n. But you should check out "the con" (song). It's awesome.
I sing anyway.
mrguy753

Postby Alisto » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:00 pm UTC

Meowsma wrote:gay

Considering that they are identical twin sisters who also happen to be lesbians, I'd say the "gay" part is accurate.
Also, they're 26 (they share my birthday! Though they're two years older); not 14.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.
Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby mrguy753 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:54 pm UTC

Alisto wrote:
Meowsma wrote:gay

Considering that they are identical twin sisters who also happen to be lesbians, I'd say the "gay" part is accurate.
Also, they're 26 (they share my birthday! Though they're two years older); not 14.

They're lesbians? No effing way! That just adds another gay artist to my collection. Thanks for telling me that. And I don't think their music is really that "gay". I mean, maybe just a little, but there is much much "gayer" music out there.
I sing anyway.
mrguy753

Postby Meowsma » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:45 pm UTC

Well, he (and I) meant "gay" in the way that he's a guy listening to girlie indie rock. Surely you can understand.

I knew that they were much older, but had no idea that they were actually lesbians.

--Meowsma
Meowsma

Postby nrioq » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:08 pm UTC

Well, people who are afraid to listen to Tegan and Sara because they think the music is 'gay' are FOOLS! FOOLS I tell you!

As for the Lesbian bit, I've heard rumors they were, but haven't heard that from any credible source. Of course they do seem to have a passionate following amongst some not so straight friends of mine which should have tipped me off.
nrioq

Postby mrguy753 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:03 pm UTC

Meowsma wrote:Well, he (and I) meant "gay" in the way that he's a guy listening to girlie indie rock. Surely you can understand.

I knew that they were much older, but had no idea that they were actually lesbians.

--Meowsma

Oh, i know, if you're talking to me. That's why i put "gay" in quotes, to show that i meant what you meant.
I sing anyway.
mrguy753

Postby Freyja » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:15 pm UTC

nrioq wrote:As for the Lesbian bit, I've heard rumors they were, but haven't heard that from any credible source. Of course they do seem to have a passionate following amongst some not so straight friends of mine which should have tipped me off.

They're actually quite open about it. They've been "out" since high school. But although they'll talk about it or casually mention their girlfriends, they're not in-your-face about being lesbian. In fact, I've been listening to them for years and it took me a long time to find out that they're gay (several old interviews and Wikipedia gave me that little surprise). But to give them a great deal of credit, both of them are so casual about things and even though they're known as a lesbian band, their opinion is more or less, "Yes, we're gay. Who cares? It's all about the music, you idiots!"

At any rate, they really crack me up. And their music is delightfully addictive. I think one of the great things about them is that their style is in a state of constant evolution. They've always been heavily influenced by punk and whatnot, but back in the early days (we're talking around the release of 'This Business of Art'), they had a mostly acoustic sound. Now that they've planted themselves in the industry and have more to work with, they're going more and more punk/pop with every new song. Luckily, the changes they've made haven't caused them to lose those special qualities that make them distinctive. Seriously. You could listen to a couple of their songs and afterwards be able to identify any of their songs as a Tegan and Sara song. It's like an auditory fingerprint.

Note: "Back in Your Head" isn't stuck in my head, but "Living Room" sure is.
Freyja
I love all peanuts, but I want THAT one.

Re: Tegan and Sara

Postby marrydavidson101 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:42 am UTC

Tegan and Sara are a Canadian indie band led by identical twins Tegan Rain Quin and Sara Kiersten Quin (born September 19, 1980). Both Tegan and Sara play guitar and keyboard and write songs, most often separately. Whoever writes each song typically sings the melody for it. The band has released six studio albums since 1999, most recently Sainthood in 2009.
marrydavidson101

Return to Music