Interesting Covers

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Dream
WINNING

Re: Interesting Covers

Postby Dream » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:31 am UTC

Last I checked, no one had mentioned the greatest cover in the history of music. Drum roll please for: Always on my Mind, by Pet Shop Boys. Nine minutes of electronic disco genius, from the Elvis original. Completely rewritten, or re-arranged if you prefer, with some of the best hooks ever to come out of the eighties.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Stief

Postby Stief » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:16 am UTC

How could I forget that D:

it is rather amazing ^_^

Also, Natasha Bedingfield's cover of Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars is quite good ^_^ I like it anyways...

not sure if Leona Lewis' cover of Run has been mentioned either... :mrgreen:
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:35 am UTC

Nina Simone's Feeling Good, Tracy Chapman's Fast Car, Bowie's The Man Who Sold The World and The Smashing Pumpkins Tonight Tonight, all covered with a rather steady level of success by The End Level Baddies.

Such prettiness. Also, the site in general is definitely worth checking out, novel wee concept.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:03 am UTC

OT: Cara, you changed your avatar back the very day I bought White Chalk. The moment I heard it I was planning to compliment your excellent good taste.

More on topic: I might try to "cover" (by which I mean learn to play just for my friends) When Under Ether. It's a simple song, and sounds like it could accept quite a bit of interpretation. I'll listen to End Level Baddies as soon as I get out of bed and back to my good speakers.

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:10 am UTC

Dream wrote:OT: Cara, you changed your avatar back the very day I bought White Chalk. The moment I heard it I was planning to compliment your excellent good taste.

More on topic: I might try to "cover" (by which I mean learn to play just for my friends) When Under Ether. It's a simple song, and sounds like it could accept quite a bit of interpretation. I'll listen to End Level Baddies as soon as I get out of bed and back to my good speakers.

BE sure to do so, at worst they're inoffensive, but at best terribly pretty.

White Chalk was vying for my album of the year position last year until I saw PJ in the Olympia and that absolutely sealed the deal for me. I am ridiculously in love with Ms Harvey. It is a beautiful album, so melancholy and desolate and yet heavenly...Silence tears through me, and The Piano is another easy favourite, but yes, beautiful. Actually, there's a lovely wee version of her and a guitar doing The Piano on youtube, let's see...here it is. Oh it's dangerous to start me on Polly Jean, actually.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

justinpizza

Postby justinpizza » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

The postal service - against all odds

This is one of my favorite covers ever. It's on the wicker park soundtrack.

Cake does a pretty awesome cover of "war pigs."

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:08 pm UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:
Dream wrote:OT: Cara, you changed your avatar back the very day I bought White Chalk. The moment I heard it I was planning to compliment your excellent good taste.

BE sure to do so, at worst they're inoffensive, but at best terribly pretty.

White Chalk was vying for my album of the year position last year until I saw PJ in the Olympia and that absolutely sealed the deal for me. I am ridiculously in love with Ms Harvey. It is a beautiful album, so melancholy and desolate and yet heavenly...Silence tears through me, and The Piano is another easy favourite, but yes, beautiful. Actually, there's a lovely wee version of her and a guitar doing The Piano on youtube, let's see...here it is. Oh it's dangerous to start me on Polly Jean, actually.

That was a really impressive performance. She's really gotten much more control and expression in her upper vocal range than I've heard previously. It's all over the album, but that kind of thing never fails to impress when done live. And I must find out what model Moog her pedal organ is. It looked and sounded so cool. Now I'm even sadder that I didn't get to see her this year. It would have been wonderful.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:14 pm UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:The End Level Baddies.

Not for me, I'm afraid. I don't like her voice. Though the site is clever.
Also - posting at 4am? Sleep much?
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

davef wrote:
CaraInFrames wrote:The End Level Baddies.

Not for me, I'm afraid. I don't like her voice. Though the site is clever.
Also - posting at 4am? Sleep much?

Not much, no.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

One thing I've kind of been intending to do, but know I never will, is come up with a mellow acoustic arrangement of "Through Fire and Flames" by DragonForce. Has this been done yet?
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:06 am UTC

Talking of mellow acoustic arrangements - how about this version of Wuthering Heights? For some reason the whole song isn't there :( You can get it on iTunes, though. I did.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

lart

Postby lart » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:06 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:Nina Simone's Feeling Good, Tracy Chapman's Fast Car, Bowie's The Man Who Sold The World and The Smashing Pumpkins Tonight Tonight, all covered with a rather steady level of success by The End Level Baddies.

Such prettiness. Also, the site in general is definitely worth checking out, novel wee concept.

Thanks for the link, those covers are pretty damn good.
Lost packet, 42 bytes, last seen on a saturated OC3, reward $$$.

lart

Postby lart » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:12 am UTC

Here's a couple more covers that I've stumbled upon...

Collide - white rabbit
Brainclaw - mad world
Brainclaw - the wreck of the edmund fitzgerald

violaxcore

Postby violaxcore » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:06 am UTC

Cascada - Truly Madly Deeply
Gotham City Swing - Smells like Teen Spirit
mad caddies - riding for a fall
eva cassidy - blues in the night (best version of the song i have heard thus far)

lart

Postby lart » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

The Blackeyed Susans - sleepwalk

can't find their version but everyone else seems to have covered it as well

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

davef wrote:Talking of mellow acoustic arrangements - how about this version of Wuthering Heights? For some reason the whole song isn't there :( You can get it on iTunes, though. I did.

I went to iTunes too, so so pretty, thanks Dave!

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

The sound quality is a little poor, but here's Duke Special covering Van Halen's Jump. I'm not sure what the guy on the piccolo is doing, but it's pretty good otherwise.

And the same guy doing I Predict a Riot.

Muppetizer

Postby Muppetizer » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

John Cale's cover of Heartbreak Hotel.

edit: and as previously stated, all of Apocalyptica's early covers.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

I like Guns N' Roses' Knockin' on Heaven's Door and Sympathy for the Devil, but pretty much the most amazing thing on the planet is Ozzy Osbourne and Dweezil Zappa doing Stayin' Alive.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

I found that Phantom Planet did a pretty good cover of Somebody's Baby, although I cant seem to find it on any of their albums.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:I found that Phantom Planet did a pretty good cover of Somebody's Baby, although I cant seem to find it on any of their albums.

It's on the "Not Another Teen Movie" soundtrack.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

Stief

Postby Stief » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:42 pm UTC

It's finally here :mrgreen:

I admit, it's not as good as I was expecting, but the fact it's finally been released is enough for me ^_^

It's still a great cover :D
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Gaz

Postby Gaz » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:38 am UTC

Pearl Jam have a nice cover of a Hunters and Collecters song, but damned if I remember the name. "Throw your arms around me"? I cannae remember!

Mushroomhead have a wicked Seal cover in the form of Crazy. I like both versions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhu8Aj-bgHY
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
Wombats are the most underated animal ever.

Bisyss

Postby Bisyss » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:49 pm UTC

Metty wrote:HIM's (sorry, guys) version of Wicked Game is pretty awesome. I think they actually released that as a single though. They must of, they made a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WA2jBMk-Pk

The best version of Wicked Game is by Today Is The Day. If I could find a copy I'd post it, but alas.
Elenion wrote:this might have been mentioned here already but Evergreen Terrace did a great cover of the song "Maniac" (You know.. "she's a maaaaniac, maaaaaniac on the floor!") - hardcore version.

Carnival In Coal do this as a symphonic black metal song. I believe there's also a jazz version of Pantera's "Fuckin' Hostile" by them as well. :lol:

As for other covers:
Alarm Will Sound also have an album of Aphex Twin covers called "Acoustica".
william wrote:Hamlet's problem is that Scar caused the stampede that killed his father.

henre
Location: A healthy soul clings to a healthy spirit and a healthy body.

Re:

Postby henre » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

EPIC POST OF DESTINY
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Also also wik:

dude,

i rofled.

so hard.
Phenriz wrote:System of a Down - "Zelda Theme"

that's not soad, it's joe pleiman/the rabbit joint.
digitalc wrote:A Perfect Circle- Imagine

this
PhantomReality wrote:THE GREY ALBUM

word

it's actually sparklehorse ft. thom yorke. but yeah, it's absolutely amazing. i love where the upright bass plays the theme.
Angelene wrote:Actually, speaking of Radiohead...I have an album of trip hoppy Raidohead covers...Exit Music - Songs With Radio Heads or something to similar effect, should have a look see.

that album is gorgeous. the bad plus doing karma police in free-jazz style is just. beyond words, really.
lart wrote:-SOAD - snowblind
-Tool - no quarter

megaword. the tool cover is better than the original. *gets crucified by the whole world*
lart wrote:doesn't hold a candle to the original, especially the first half of the song...way overproduced.

you get that cinematic orchestra is pretty much an electronic act, right...?
justinpizza wrote:Cake does a pretty awesome cover of "war pigs."

:O i need to hear this.

my list:
scissor sisters - take me out (by franz ferdinand. i've heard rumours that it actually is elton john playing in the intro :P anyone know?)
björk - like someone in love (jimmy van heusen jazz standard)
time lapse consortium - a certain shade of green (incubus song; although half of incubus is in time lapse, they do something completely different with it)

ya that's about all i can think of atm.
An airplane, a puppet, an orange, a spoon,
A window, and outside: stars, and the moon.

ʇɟıɥs sı ʎɹʇ oʇ ʇɟǝl ƃuıɥʇ ʎluo ǝɥʇ sǝɯıʇǝɯos

Bisyss

Postby Bisyss » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:35 am UTC

Hansel - Heartbreaker (Pat Beneatar)
A 70's hard rock song done by a trip-hop group, anyone?

Speaking of Hansel, they were a part of an Atari Teenage Riot tribute album that was released last year. It's work a look if you're a fan.
william wrote:Hamlet's problem is that Scar caused the stampede that killed his father.

Masuri

Postby Masuri » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:05 am UTC

The Water is Wide, an old folk song covered by Rhonda Vincent with backup vocals from Keith Urban. Absolutely lovely.

Here's a Moonlight fan video with this song as the backdrop, I couldn't find a video of it by itself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrqktYWbmdM

Warning: Spoilers, if you watch Moonlight and aren't up to speed with the episodes this gives away a big plot twist. But it's also a beautifully done fan video.

tylerwylie

Postby tylerwylie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:16 am UTC

I'd say the Tool cover of No Quarter is better than the original, much darker and I'm a huge fan of the bass solo Justin Chancellor does, so much emotion.
Who are you and who am I
To say we know the reason why?
Some are born; some men die
Beneath one infinite sky.
There'll be war, there'll be peace.
But everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust.

Namaps

Postby Namaps » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:06 am UTC

Has anyone else noticed that most covers of Beatles tunes are pretty terrible? I mean, there are a few exceptions, but in general, they seem to be pretty bad.
Marbles wrote:The bass trombone is way awesomer than the ordinary trombone.

Turiya wrote:Get out of my head, Randall (except in bed)--that's what SHE said!

arcsol

Postby arcsol » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:00 pm UTC

Radiohead's Idioteque by Vienna Teng. that got me listening to Radiohead. Down to pop fodder!
a rabbit will never go into a lion's den unless it's a really badass rabbit

- Cromartie High

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:25 pm UTC

Sorry if some of these have been mentioned... awesome/interesting covers I can think of include:

Scissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd (one of the most original covers ever)
Travis - Baby One More Time by Britney (kinda standard gratuitous pop song cover, but interesting nonetheless)
Foo Fighters/Brian May - Have A Cigar by Pink Floyd (nothing really new, but IMO an improvement on the Pink Floyd original)
Jose Gonzalez - Heartbeats by The Knife (another cover vastly different to the original - Jose makes it into a really lovely song of its own)
The Go! Team - Bull In The Heather by Sonic Youth (...the go! team are just great, mmkay?)
Klaxons - Not Over Yet by Grace (modern take on a slice of 90's cheese - good cheese might I add)
Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower by Bob Dylan (I didn't see this listed already, which surprised me... this one is always mentioned, but always great.)
The Darkness - Street Spirit (Fade Out) by Radiohead (I always fucking hated The Darkness, but this cover is lulworthy.)
Press Play on Tape - Monkey Island theme (HELLS YEAH.)
Last edited by SomeoneElse on Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:33 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

BobMacDhonnchaidh

Postby BobMacDhonnchaidh » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

Beautiful World - Rage Against the Machine
Thig crìoch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceòl

Help save us from 16 years of boredom!

Stief

Postby Stief » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:56 am UTC

I find this to be a brilliant cover :D

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:15 am UTC

I've always liked Jonathan Coulton's cover of We Will Rock You/We are the Champions. You can hear it there, but not get the mp3 for free.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Gaz

Postby Gaz » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:52 am UTC

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Heard it on the Grape Vine
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
Wombats are the most underated animal ever.

CircleTriangles

Postby CircleTriangles » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:06 am UTC

Xiu Xiu - Under Pressure

I'm not a huge David Bowie or Queen fan, although I do enjoy both, but I swear - this may be the best song ever. It's even difficult to screw up. I've heard a few covers of it, and every one was atleast passable and at best ridiculously amazing.
This song, as far as I'm concerned, falls into the later catigory.

CAKE - I Will Survive

The Cake isn't a lie. Stop ruining it for me!!
(If you haven't heard this song, you know you want to. If you have, you know why I posted it.)

of Montreal - Jimmy

Jimmy being that M.I.A song. No one could have turned this song into a better dirge.
Man, Kevin Barnes needs to get off the anti-depressants RIGHT NOW. I want more happy-go-lucky pop songs.
He's toeing the line between them now.
The Scruffy-Haired Protagonist
Last.fm

proof_man

Postby proof_man » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:07 am UTC

edit
Last edited by proof_man on Fri May 17, 2013 12:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

CarolDC

Postby CarolDC » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

hmmm...

Frank Black's solo version (not a cover?) of the Holiday Song. It's like the Pixies for a cocktail party, has a horn section, and is generally pretty awesome.

The Stars cover of Fairy Tale of New York. Not as a replacement for the original, but as an alternative.

Allison Crowe's (look her up! she's local to me, and she's good!) cover of Shine a Light, and also Hallelujah (she kicks Jeff Buckley's ass.) And, uh, also her cover of Raining in Baltimore.

ALL of Mermaid Avenue.

The Weakerthans doing Ringing of Revolution.

Le Tigre's version of I'm So Excited.

Uh, I think that's it (I had no idea that would be so long.)

BatmanAoD

Postby BatmanAoD » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

Apocalyptica's cover of Bowie's "Heroes." It's in German ("Helden"), and is sung by the singer from Rammstein. I actually like it much, much better than the Bowie version, not least because 1. cellos sound much better than whatever crap is playing in the background of the original, and 2. unlike Bowie, the Rammstein guy doesn't lose all sense of pitch halfway through the song. All right, maybe that's a little harsh. "Helden" is still better.

Other lousy songs made better by Apocalyptica: "From Out of Nowhere" by Faith No More and "Until It Sleeps" by Metallica.
V for Vendetta, the movie, paraphrasing Emma Goldman wrote:A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having.

Terror Island, Exit Music (google "keaner"), and Copper are all webcomics worth checking out.

Anise

Postby Anise » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

Shiori Takei - Baby One More Time(Britney)
It's a really nice cover!
Damien Rice - Creep(Radiohead)
Tori Amos - Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Tori Amos - I don't Like Mondays (Live)
Keane - With Or Without You (Live) Surprisingly, it's pretty good!

Return to “Music”