Best Concert You've Been To

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Best Concert You've Been To

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:30 pm UTC

So last night I saw Muse in Philadelphia (at Festival Pier). It was nothing short of mind-blowing. I got there around 4:30 for an 8:00 show, and ended up standing behind my sister, who was holding onto the riot fencing. I gotta say--Muse was amazing. Their setlist was awesome, and their playing was brilliant.

So what was the best concert you've seen live?

TRM

Postby TRM » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

Evanescence. I've seen lots of stuff in the past at festivals, I saw the Foo Fighters, I saw the Beastie Boys, but Evanescence was just fantastic. There was a huge mistake with my ticket though -- my friend convinced me to come and wait with her for seven hours to get a front row place when the concert started. We scurry inside and I find out that my ticket was set to be at the upper banister at the back row, while my friend gets to be in the front for the entire concert :(.

Nonetheless, I think what made the concert so much better was that she could pull off the powerful voice live -- some singers are really disappointing when you hear them live.
PandaFluff wrote:I learned a few lessons from this... Don't trust epiphanies that come from a General Ecology lecture.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:15 pm UTC

Warped Tour '04 without a doubt.

Rise Against
Bad Religion
Anti-Flag (Tim from Rise Against sang Die for your Government)
Senses Fail
NOFX
Coheed and Cambria (Claudio was so drunk they couldn't even finish a single song though)

So much win concentrated into one location.

Though when I saw Megadeth with Heaven and Hell I was very impressed. Deo can put on one hell of a show and well Megadeth just plain rules.

Ozzy is coming this fall with Rob Zombie, so that show might be able to claim the number 1 spot for me.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:52 pm UTC

First off: Wilibus - your avatar is made of win on about a hundred different levels. I adore Rise Against and am going to see them again this September.

OK. So.

I'm a bit of a concert whore. >.>

Lesse.

My all-time favourite was Rise Against at Summerfest -- we also saw OK Go and Mae that day.

Closely followed by Warped Tour '07.
Bad Religion
Tiger Army
Coheed and Cambria
Chiodos
The Toasters
Kaddisfly
A Static Lullaby
All Time Low
Blessthefall
It Dies Today

Basically, those two days rocked my world.

But. Thrice or Rise Against might take number one, depending on how good their concerts are in September and October. ^_^
Last edited by thefiddler on Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Fluff
See You Next Tuesday

Postby Fluff » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:58 pm UTC

If I had to pick just one:

Probably Radiohead during the OK Computer tour.

Other favourites:

Queensrÿche were fooking wicked in May just gone, and will be seeing them again in October.

The Moody Blues have been amazing every time I've seen them.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:00 pm UTC

TRM wrote:Evanescence. I've seen lots of stuff in the past at festivals, I saw the Foo Fighters, I saw the Beastie Boys, but Evanescence was just fantastic. There was a huge mistake with my ticket though -- my friend convinced me to come and wait with her for seven hours to get a front row place when the concert started. We scurry inside and I find out that my ticket was set to be at the upper banister at the back row, while my friend gets to be in the front for the entire concert :(.

Nonetheless, I think what made the concert so much better was that she could pull off the powerful voice live -- some singers are really disappointing when you hear them live.

I am so in agreement with you, she is fantastic.

That said, Snow Patrol is my favourite name band concert, while Bella Morte is probably the best night of my life (helped because they were supported by my two favourite local bands).

demon

Re: Best Concert You've Been To

Postby demon » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:11 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:So last night I saw Muse in Philadelphia (at Festival Pier). It was nothing short of mind-blowing. I got there around 4:30 for an 8:00 show, and ended up standing behind my sister, who was holding onto the riot fencing. I gotta say--Muse was amazing. Their setlist was awesome, and their playing was brilliant.

So what was the best concert you've seen live?

Muse? You must have gone to an awesome show then, because when I saw Muse live (Heineken Open'er Festival 2007, here's the line-up), they were... not so hot. I mean - the show was mind-blowing indeed, but the music not so much. Bellamy does sing like a champ, but whenever he tried to improvise, it was frightfully weak. Also - his showmanship is rather obnoxious for me, but that's just my personal opinion. I really like what they did before Black Holes, though, and indeed when they played Apocalypse Please, Time Is Running Out, Feeling Good and a bunch of earlier songs, it was sweet:)

The best musical event I've been to was obviously this festival (I've never been to anything of similar magnitude), but if I were to choose a single concert, it would have to be Richard Bona. His whole band is comprised of the finest jazz musicians I have ever heard. Every note they played was perfect. I couldn't believe such a performance could executed. Also, Bona himself is a very humorous person, I really liked how he simply acted naturally on stage.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:49 pm UTC

Ray Brown Trio in a tiny club in Chicago just a few days before he sadly passed away. I was incredibly lucky to have been there; I got him to sign a CD; it was the best live music I've ever experienced.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:58 pm UTC

I haven't been to many concerts, but i seen Dj Tiesto Live...

DAMN that was uber fun.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:01 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:But. Thrice or Rise Against might take number one, depending on how good their concerts are in September and October. ^_^

Thrice is pure win, but their live show leaves a lot to be desired. Very good, but I expected so much more after watching their dvd.

If it is the Rise Against show with Silverstein and Comeback Kid it was very good when they were here. I would definitely drive many hours to see it again given the opportunity.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."

-Charles Robert

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:16 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:But. Thrice or Rise Against might take number one, depending on how good their concerts are in September and October. ^_^

Would anyone be jealous if i said I'm best friends with the one the band member's cousin?

XD, i saw them when the first started out, and i know their cousin for over 4 years now.

Pseudomammal
Honored just to be nominated

Postby Pseudomammal » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:59 pm UTC

At the risk of outing myself as a huge flaming nerd and romantic sap, Thomas Dolby. Watching him put songs together in realtime is insane. Dude is a music making cyborg.

After that, Apocalyptica. Sure, anyone can play metal cello, but these guys do it while lifting the cellos over their damn heads. Someday, despite the many social, geographical, and biological obstacles, I will have Eicca Toppinen's children.
Stop him! He's supposed to die!

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:31 am UTC

I've seen a lot of fantastic shows. Some winning ones include:

Suffocation, a few months ago - they sold out the venue, and it was midsummer. and the airconditioning failed. We were knee-deep in sweat. It stopped no one from moshing. There was a long segue between each song, which Frank Mullen spent talking about all kinds of stupid things (getting eaten by sharks was a brilliant example), while the rest of the band stopped to breathe and dry their hands again...it was out of this world. I've never seen so much air guitar as i did at that concert.

Vader - a few months ago as well - they played for an hour and a half. Fucking amazing. Probably the catchiest, most moshable death metal band ever. They were so tight it was unbelievable.

Opeth - Damnation tour, live at Berklee auditorium. Semi Acoustic concert, and very much a sit-down gig. Far, far better than any of the other times i've seen them play. Then porcupine tree came on, and that sucked and was boring. But even still, it couldn't ruin the mood.

Radiohead - Sydney Entertainment Center, Hail to the Thief tour.
I missed them on the OK Computer tour, because I was too young - both of my older brothers went, so I stayed home with my tapes and had a radiohead concert all on my own. :) But this time, finally getting to see them...Well, you can't miss with 2 hours of radiohead, you know? Especially when I said to my friend sitting next to me "what would be perfect right now is if they came back on and played planet telex". Which they then proceeded to do. It was just a very special night for an awful lot of people.

But the absolute best concert ever...well, actually, there's two.

1. Nazxul, Metro theatre, 2004. One of the best black metal bands ever, who I'd never seen live before. They never freaking play live, because they are lazy and disorganised. But somehow, finally, they got their shit together and went on tour. The supports were fantastic - Virgin Black played a wonderful set of their gothic operatic metal, which was incredibly moving and beautiful. So I was standing there, all softened up, when Nazxul came on, and then music happened. The phrase 'Wall of Sound' is too often bandied about. These guys just filled the spectrum with a haze of the most beautiful and awesome music I have ever heard. I love this band. After the concert, I went to celebrate a friend's birthday, but ended up sitting down in a corner for about an hour, because I was just too emotionally exhausted to speak. Amazing.

2. Vicious Hairy Mary, Newtown festival, 2000. This may have been the first gig I ever went to - I can't remember many before that. But it's still the greatest one ever. My brother had seen them by accident a year or two earlier, and decided we needed to go and see them, on the grounds that they were fucking fantabulous. And they were. They were a gypsy-circus-metal band, alternating runs of gypsy violining and accordioning with massive explosions of bass-distorted thunder. Brilliant song writing. They wore masks. The singer sang through a toy radio set, making him sound rather creepy. They covered 'ghost town'. They played 'Bah Humbug'. They were INSANE. It was at the metal stage, and we'd seen a string of bands play there earlier, laming it up. And then these guys wander on, just as the sun was coming down, and destroyed everyone. It flat out rocked. It was a whole new world.
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

Koeppi

Postby Koeppi » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:05 am UTC

Bolt Thrower - Those Still Loyal Tour
Amazing crowd, 40-something old rockers and 14 year old kids in perfect harmony.

Related:
At another Bolt Thrower show form that tour you can see a crowdsurfing weelchair.
Insert quote from awesome scientist here.

xooll

Postby xooll » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:44 am UTC

Hmm, I'm gonna have to say Doomination of America '03 was the best I've been to. Mourning Beloveth, The Prophecy, and Orodruin, all in this tiny venue packed from wall to wall with dedicated metalheads from miles around. During Mourning Beloveth's set, I was headbanging so hard my glasses came off. Fortunately they caught in my hair...

Shroud of Bereavement is amazing live, but the only time I saw them their set was cut short because the shitty local hardcore bands that had come before them for some reason took too much time.

Oh, and in March I saw Isis, Jesu, and some other band that wasn't very good in NYC. Even though Isis was headlining (and really excellent), it was Jesu that stole the show. They were mindboggling.

I remember High on Fire being really good, but I don't actually remember the show itself that well, just that I liked it. Hrmm.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:01 am UTC

Peter Gabriel - Security tour.
...the whim of a hat.

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:01 am UTC

xooll wrote:Hmm, I'm gonna have to say Doomination of America '03 was the best I've been to. Mourning Beloveth, The Prophecy, and Orodruin, all in this tiny venue packed from wall to wall with dedicated metalheads from miles around. During Mourning Beloveth's set, I was headbanging so hard my glasses came off. Fortunately they caught in my hair...

Damn you. We never get doom down here. :(
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:54 am UTC

Wilibus wrote:

Thrice is pure win, but their live show leaves a lot to be desired. Very good, but I expected so much more after watching their dvd.

If it is the Rise Against show with Silverstein and Comeback Kid it was very good when they were here. I would definitely drive many hours to see it again given the opportunity.

You... you've seen Thrice? My mind is going to explode. I'm so excited for the new CD! ^_^ And the concert, even though I'm totally driving 5 hours to go to it. Hehe.

And, yes. Rise Against with Silverstein and Comeback Kid. In Chicago. I'm so there.

Dark Ragnarok wrote:

Would anyone be jealous if i said I'm best friends with the one the band member's cousin?

Which band? Also, yes. I expect you to send me autographed stuff. NAO. :P

PhantomReality

Postby PhantomReality » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:57 am UTC

Ratatat at my local club.

But I just found out today that my uncle saw hendrix in '67 and I am enormously jealous.
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.

EradicateIV

Postby EradicateIV » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:09 am UTC

Wow. This is such a hard topic.
I'd say the most memorable will always be my first in a small club in Pittsburgh... It was so scary because of it being my first.

Danzig, Deicide, and Cattle Decapitation played...

Dillinger escape plan was amazing live, as well as every time I see The Devil Wears Prada; I have such a great time. Their new cd rules (whoops leakage) and I'm seeing this upcoming Sunday!

I still want to goto a noise or black metal show (not ridiculous black metal).

Oh yes! Brand New, Mewithoutyou, and Thrice this winter is going to be amazing!

Our truth is only as good as our assumptions.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:00 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:Which band? Also, yes. I expect you to send me autographed stuff. NAO. :P

Rise Against

digitalc

Postby digitalc » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:22 am UTC

Arctic Monkeys at the Coachella Music and Arts Festival fer sure. Jesus & Mary Chain were really good too, and so was Bjork.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:28 pm UTC

Dark Ragnarok wrote:
thefiddler wrote:Which band? Also, yes. I expect you to send me autographed stuff. NAO. :P

Rise Against

That is pretty intense actually and I am jealous.

I have some friend who went to high school with the two of the guys from Propagandhi.

And seeing Rise Against in Chicago is about as close to heave as I can imagine.

-Charles Robert

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:35 pm UTC

Festival Pier is a great concert venue, isn't it!

My top three:

1. John Butler Trio at the Electric Factory in April 2006. Absolutely mindblowing. Seeing that much talent in that intimate a setting was...amazing. I've seen them since then but in a larger venue (the Festival Pier, come to think of it) and, while great, it just wasn't the same as that first time. Oh man.

2. The Police at the Virgin Festival, just this past weekend. They kicked so much ass, and I am extremely bitter that we left a bit early to go check out Modest Mouse's set. While the latter were good, they were no match at all. Grr.

3. ...actually, okay a tie between Hoots & Hellmouth at the Festival Pier (opening for the Jam on the River festival, which JBT was a part of) and Regina Spektor at the Virgin Festival. Both great shows to see live and super highly recommended.

I swear I've been to loads more concerts than the three I mentioned but, well, some just stick out. And the festivals allow you to knock out a crapload of bands at one time. Although I really do prefer the smaller settings...except Weezer and Incubus were good by themselves too...oh man I'm just going to stop before I rearrange spots #2 and #3...
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

Nosforit

Postby Nosforit » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:35 pm UTC

Papa Roach in Wanha, Helsinki
We, the audience, 'sang' along and overpowered their sound system with our voices. Then they played my favorite track of theirs as an extra (Dead Cell).

It was awesome.

epershandrea

Postby epershandrea » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:43 am UTC

I saw (what's left of) The Who a few years ago in Mountain View, and I was really impressed. They were really energetic, and they played a great set. I was also amazed that there were about as many people from my generation as there were from my mom's.

The Living End and Flogging Molly at the Fillmore a few years back was a kick ass show, too.

Oh, and Regina Spektor at the Warfield. The sound was PERFECT.

Stief

Postby Stief » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:38 am UTC

I've seen Rise Against twice....once as a part of Taste Of Chaos (which was amazin) and once on their own....both times, they blew me away :D

I've been to a few Concerts, and MCR were just....wow....

that is all :P
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:37 am UTC

Hmm. Well, I've enjoyed both Voltaire concerts I've seen and think he's a good performer, but definitely the best one I've seen was Varttina. They have so much energy, the whole group are just consummate musicians, and they're so much *fun.* It was a really feel good concert.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

chilibaka

Postby chilibaka » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:52 am UTC

Japanese New Music Festival Europe Tour Ver. 4 @ Klubi, Tampere
Zubi Zuva X
Akaten
Ruins Alone
Zoffy
Shrinp Wark
Acid Mothers Temple SWR
Seikazoku

I don't know if it is the best but at least it is one of those I think I'll remember forever. The fact which makes it interesting is that all 7 bands were formed from combinations of the three Japanese musicians (YoshidaTatsuya, Tsuyama Atsushi, and Kawabata Makoto). Yoshida's performance as Ruins Alone* had everyone's jaw drop on the floor. He was blasting away with his drumset to sampled bass lines and singing in some bizarre language at the same time. Everyone in the audience just silenty stared him play.

haveblue

Postby haveblue » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:59 am UTC

I don't go to many concerts, so.. Slayer

.. or maybe Alexisonfire
Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

I saw the Dove's in Rochester in 2001. I went with a group of friends from Fredonia, I drove my minivan the two hours, we met up with a friend of my friend Daniel's, I got a FANTASTIC Salmon burger at a restaurant by Brown's Race, and then we watched Sarah Slean at The Water Street Music Hall. I complained of a head ache and they all said they were ready to leave after Sarah Sleane. I had come for the Doves, so I said "hells no!" So we stayed ofcourse. It was simply mesmerizing and the mood was perfect. My friends were all quite glad they stayed. That was the Doves first tour to America, and after we left we stoped at one of those big highway gas and fast food stations, there were few people there, and on the tv CNN or something, and they were talking about the group and how they were on their first US tour.

I haven't been to all that many concerts in my day, but this one has been better than any I've been to before or after it.
Last edited by Sprocket on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:51 pm UTC

Rush's Vapor Trails tour, when they came to Houston.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

noouch

Postby noouch » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:51 pm UTC

Haven't really been to many, but the Red Hot Chili Peppers had a pretty good stage show. Plus Dinosaur Jr. opened for them, which was neat...

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:55 pm UTC

Of semi-well-known artists? Ryan Adams, who I've seen twice. (Usually I will see only see a band once. He is one of the few exceptions.) Also, Agency 1994 (one-nine-nine-four, not nineteen-ninety-four), which may or may not be well-known depending on where you live and the type of music you listen to.

Then there are the shows that we have locally, which are always bad-ass. With very few exceptions, the bands are good. And I get to see hardcore dancing, which makes me giggle.

Bands I almost saw that would have made me cream my panties: Emotron and the Blood Brothers.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I played "porn" against my sister last night.
Meaux_Pas wrote:So in otherwords, it's like the best cake ever, covered in bees.

j&r-bffl

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:32 pm UTC

I really like small venues, and festivals. My favorite concert of all time (so far) was seeing Coheed & Cambria at Lupo's At The Strand, in Providence.
They were on the IKSSE3 tour, the crowd was INSANE, and the place is tiny, so when they opened up with In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth, the whole crowd chanted along with Claudio, and the most pit moved like the ocean.

It was amazing. It was like being in church, if I was a spiritual person.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

johny2step

Postby johny2step » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:33 pm UTC

Best show I have ever been to : The Moonlight Cruisers, The Rocketz, and the Koffin Kats. Good stuff.

DSK

Postby DSK » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:56 am UTC

Well I've only been to... a handful of concerts in my life. But without a doubt the best one by far was Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I've seen them twice actually, first time when they weren't really big yet, they performed at a theater downtown. That was really sweet. They sound perfect live. But I saw them again maybe two years ago, and they had upgraded to playing the arena. Oh me yarm it was AMAZING. The lasers and pyrotechnics were so cool and again they sounded brilliant. And what made the night was when they played their cover of "O Fortuna"... gah<3 At that point one of the guys had asked everyone to take out their cellphones and wave them. A totally awesome (and safer) alternative to lighters.

gulnare

Postby gulnare » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:32 am UTC

EradicateIV wrote:
Dillinger escape plan was amazing live

Yes. They were.

Also, Tool, The Tea Party, Muse, any of the Geek Shows, Fantomas, Peeping Tom...

Yeah.
"...i'm putting in my 2 weeks notice,
as of 2 fucking weeks ago..."

peter

Postby peter » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:49 pm UTC

Only seen a couple, but I really liked the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Kiedis' live voice is at least equal to the studio.

Bruce Springsteen
Breaking Benjamin

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:36 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:I really like small venues, and festivals. My favorite concert of all time (so far) was seeing Coheed & Cambria at Lupo's At The Strand, in Providence.
They were on the IKSSE3 tour, the crowd was INSANE, and the place is tiny, so when they opened up with In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth, the whole crowd chanted along with Claudio, and the most pit moved like the ocean.

It was amazing. It was like being in church, if I was a spiritual person.

Yeah, that's another reason the Dove's was great, water street musical hall is very intimate. Much more so that Avalon, where I barely even noticed the band. I also saw TMBG there right after I moved here, very meh. I saw Franz Ferdinand and Death Cab at Agganis April of '06. That show was surprisngly enjoyable considering the size of the place. I was close enough to the stage, and the music is just good, but all these concerts in Boston I went to alone because I either had no friends, had no friends with money or had no friends who shared my interest in Franz Ferdinand.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Return to “Music”