Best Concert You've Been To

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Aethernox

Re: Best Concert You've Been To

Postby Aethernox » Thu May 22, 2008 2:17 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:I've listened to the full discography of both of them more times than I can count, so I can understand liking both of them (though I'm not too fond of DT's most recent releases). It's just that they seem to occupy opposite ends of the progressive metal spectrum in a way that I can easily imagine someone loving one and hating the other.

I see your point, but I can't say I've known anyone who has experienced that. I enjoy both of the bands, while I know people who like DT and BTBAM(who I more-or-less loathe].

mrorange
Something from Reservoir Dogs, perhaps?

Postby mrorange » Sat May 31, 2008 4:02 am UTC

I just saw Elton John solo last night. That was a-freaking-mazing. there are honestly no words for it... ill add pictures when i get my other computer back.

edit: look crappy cellphone pics!
05-29-08_2224.jpg
05-29-08_2224.jpg (50.64 KiB) Viewed 3640 times

05-29-08_2226.jpg
05-29-08_2226.jpg (15.07 KiB) Viewed 3637 times

*hates crappy cellphone camera with its crappy digital zoom*
Last edited by mrorange on Sat May 31, 2008 11:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Truth be told/If I can be so bold/Your sig did inspire/What here did transpire/So that you would me admire/cause me to aspire/to greater heights/of lyrical plights.
-ThorFluff
BomanTheBear wrote: but then i started playing rugby and breakdancing.

beastie

Postby beastie » Sat May 31, 2008 8:41 am UTC

The best show I've ever seen in terms of being on time, respecting the audience and everything else security-related, whatever was George Michael. No joke! And The Rolling Stones.

theRIAA

Postby theRIAA » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:53 am UTC

The flaming lips show at sasquatch 08 at the gorge last week
and yes, those are a bunch of dancing teletubbies shooting hundreds of pounds of confetti into the crowd

mrorange
Something from Reservoir Dogs, perhaps?

Postby mrorange » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

darn i thought it was explosives... still, good deal.
Truth be told/If I can be so bold/Your sig did inspire/What here did transpire/So that you would me admire/cause me to aspire/to greater heights/of lyrical plights.
-ThorFluff
BomanTheBear wrote: but then i started playing rugby and breakdancing.

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:48 pm UTC

Damn ~ every cell in my body yearns to go to a Flaming Lips concert. It's kind of my Mecca. Check my friggin' avatar if you don't believe me. :D

The best concert I've ever been to, hands down, was Joanna Newsom at the Palais here in Melbourne. It was stunning. 20 minute-long songs, note- and inflection-perfect. She reduced me to tears with damn near every song. And she even did a harp version of 'Immflamatory Writ': the one song I was hoping most she'd play and was convinced she wouldn't! AND she was supported by Andrew Bird!
Ah! Such a stunning night.

Zero

Postby Zero » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

Yann Tiersen at "Aula Magna" in Lisbon... with my lover. So beautiful. Ah, the memories. :'(

theRIAA

Postby theRIAA » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

The Rumpled Academic wrote:Damn ~ every cell in my body yearns to go to a Flaming Lips concert. It's kind of my Mecca. Check my friggin' avatar if you don't believe me. :D

you should go, they were absolutely incredible,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flaming_Lips
MAKE SURE IT'S A NIGHT TIME SHOW
but I don't know if it'll be as good as mine.... [NSFW]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cerealandmilk/2532223708/
I don't think they'll do that again

HiFiFoci

Re:

Postby HiFiFoci » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:12 am UTC

the Cow wrote:Peter Gabriel - Security tour.

*CRIES* DAMNIT I WAS TOO YOUNG

I have shaking the tree on dvd and all of his cds+vinyls, and I fear I shall never be granted the wish of seeing him live. His shoes are probably the best I have seen (albeit on video) ever.

EVER. HE BLOWS ALL THESE CONCERTS OUT OF THE WATER.
How do i carry the weight of the world? I shrug.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:33 pm UTC

I saw Death Cab For Cutie at the Mann Center for the Performing Arts in Philadelphia last night. The show was superb (and I'm not even THAT familiar with their music). Oh and the mix sounded fantastic!
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

idont_know12

Postby idont_know12 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

I saw Otep twice, once at 7th street entry and once at 1st Avenue (Minneapolis). Great shows, great energy; the 7th street entry one was better, I thought. Of course, the 1st ave. show they were just opening for Static-X.
Also, Marazene opened for them on their 7th st. show - excellent band. I recommend checking them out if you're into that type of music. They're like a mix of the best parts of Mudvayne and Marilyn Manson with a little Korn and other similar bands thrown in.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:55 am UTC

I saw Leonard Cohen in Dublin last night.

Oh my.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

BobMacDhonnchaidh

Postby BobMacDhonnchaidh » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:02 am UTC

davef wrote:I saw Leonard Cohen in Dublin last night.

Oh my.

My parents have gone across to see him tonight.
Thig crìoch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceòl

Help save us from 16 years of boredom!

davef

Postby davef » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:10 am UTC

If they have decent seats it'll be worth every penny and more.

yellie

Postby yellie » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

davef wrote:I saw Leonard Cohen in Dublin last night.

Oh my.

I am super mad I decided not to see him ("Radiohead and then Muse will be more than enough concerts this summer!" Ugh what was I thinking.) Damien Rice opened for him, right? ;D

davef

Postby davef » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

D***** R*** did indeed open for him. I cannot stand his out-of-tune snivelling, so I stayed at the bar.

Also, what were you thinking? I know the price put many people off, and I also know that if we hadn't lucked out and gotten some of the best seats in the house I'd be really pissed off about the gig instead of singing its praises, but really yellie, you should have known better!

It was, incidentally, the quietest gig I've ever been at. And that definitely was a good thing.

Now, here's hoping Tom Waits provides as much bang per buck next month... (€137 per ticket - nearly $200. How much did any of you Mericans have to pay for a TW ticket?)

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:47 pm UTC

Hold on, what, it's just Tom Waits and it's €137? I realise it's Tom Waits, but man, that's a lot.

I have about two weeks to wait for Leonard Cohen... and Neil Diamond.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

davef

Postby davef » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:Hold on, what, it's just Tom Waits and it's €137? I realise it's Tom Waits, but man, that's a lot.

Well, he'll have his band...

I know, that's not what you meant. Yes, it's just Tom on the bill. I don't think there'll be a support act. We get royally shafted on concert ticket prices here.

On the same bill? That'll be... interesting :shock:

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:11 am UTC

davef wrote:
cypherspace wrote:Hold on, what, it's just Tom Waits and it's €137? I realise it's Tom Waits, but man, that's a lot.

Well, he'll have his band...

I know, that's not what you meant. Yes, it's just Tom on the bill. I don't think there'll be a support act. We get royally shafted on concert ticket prices here.

On the same bill? That'll be... interesting :shock:

That's crazy. As for the bill, it's Glastonbury. The Sunday Pyramid stage lineup is like ridiculously awesome, apart from the Verve, but that's okay, I'm going to see Manu Chao while they're on.

BobMacDhonnchaidh

Postby BobMacDhonnchaidh » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:31 am UTC

I had to buy Tom Waits tickets for my entire family, which was quite a mathematical feat. The amount of utter bullshit you have to deal with from those Nazis at Ticketmaster is unbelieveable.

Can't wait to see the man though :mrgreen:
Thig crìoch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceòl

Help save us from 16 years of boredom!

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:38 am UTC

Man, now after seeing those Flaming Lips pictures I'm even MORE mad at myself for not going to Sasquatch. Stupid responsibility... I had finals the day after, and I couldn't bear just going for one day, so I skipped the entire thing. Even though like half of my favorite bands were all there. Ugh. So angry with myself. :evil:
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

yellie

Postby yellie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:09 am UTC

davef wrote:D***** R*** did indeed open for him. I cannot stand his out-of-tune snivelling, so I stayed at the bar.

Also, what were you thinking? I know the price put many people off, and I also know that if we hadn't lucked out and gotten some of the best seats in the house I'd be really pissed off about the gig instead of singing its praises, but really yellie, you should have known better!

It was, incidentally, the quietest gig I've ever been at. And that definitely was a good thing.

Now, here's hoping Tom Waits provides as much bang per buck next month... (€137 per ticket - nearly $200. How much did any of you Mericans have to pay for a TW ticket?)

Ha, I thought as much. I seem to recall you voicing your opinion about poor Damien a few times! But yeah, I think you're right; the price was just a little too high for me. I mean, I was reluctant about paying €70 for Radiohead, and I had been waiting to see them live for years.

As for Tom Waits... I think I had a stroke when I heard how much it would be. I'm well aware he's a god, but c'mon! It's ridiculous.

cypherspace wrote:it's Glastonbury. The Sunday Pyramid stage lineup is like ridiculously awesome, apart from the Verve, but that's okay, I'm going to see Manu Chao while they're on.

*clicks on link* Whoa, Jay Z is playing Glastonbury?? That's uh... unexpected.

Oh man, the "Other Stage" looks amazing! Granted, the only two names I saw were We Are Scientists and Ben Folds. Although, now that I see the Wombats, Scouting For Girls and Mark Ronson, I'm beginning to not like the Other Stage quite as much.

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:21 am UTC

I might have to say, in terms of a house show, the Punch/Skull Collector show I was just at was probably the most fun I'll ever have at a place not meant for live music.

And it cost me $5 too! (instead of $200 =/ )
"the time will come when men such as i look upon the murder
of animals as they now look upon the murder of men"

---
leonardo da vinci

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:28 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:*clicks on link* Whoa, Jay Z is playing Glastonbury?? That's uh... unexpected.

Oh man, the "Other Stage" looks amazing! Granted, the only two names I saw were We Are Scientists and Ben Folds. Although, now that I see the Wombats, Scouting For Girls and Mark Ronson, I'm beginning to not like the Other Stage quite as much.

The Other Stage is usually the best one, along with Jazzworld, but it doesn't look too hot this year. Last year the headliners were Bjork, the Chemical Brothers and Iggy And The Stooges, compared to the Arctic Monkeys, The Who and The Killers on the Pyramid stage.

Jay-Z is probably the reason the tickets haven't sold out yet. Personally I think it's a great move. Eclecticism is the whole point of Glastonbury. There's such a massive variety of stuff going on in the rest of the festival, but there's a lot of people who think that he's not right for a headlining slot. Apparently they should be reserved for guitar bands, or so it seems. I think that's bollocks. Not that I'm going to watch him though, it's Massive Attack on the Other Stage. I'd still like to see Jay-Z, as I'm not going to have another chance, so if Massive Attack turn out to be crappy live, then I'm switching stages.

Day Tripper

Postby Day Tripper » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

I got to see R.E.M. in concert a few weeks ago. It couldn't exactly compare with a Flaming Lips show, but it takes the spot for "Best Concert Ever" only because I lovelovelove them. They're my only favourite band that is still touring (or has all of its members alive, for that matter). Michael Stipe was surprising humble and cute, he said "Thank you so much!" after every song. And his dancing alone was worth the ticket price.

My only complaint was that they put seats in the pit. To sell more tickets, I guess, but I would have killed to get up close (It could also have something to do with the fact that the average age of concertgoers was around 50).
I compulsively edit posts.

Varg Vikernes

Postby Varg Vikernes » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

Saw Eisley/The Myriad at the church in philly last month and that was pretty great. wouldnt have minded if eisley's set was a few songs shorter and the myriad's longer. Eisley, who i love, was really outclassed imo. Actually went to the show mostly for the opportunity to gawk at one Miss Sherri DuPree in person.
pretty embarrassing best show i guess, but i dont get out much. i live about an hour away from any venue.

jbass357

Postby jbass357 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

ACL 2007 (Austin City Limits Festival 2007)

finally after many failed attempts i was able to see Blonde Redhead. after waiting almost a decade, i was able to see Björk in concert. both bands on the same day. great day for me.

of course this ties with seeing Rush and Radiohead live. damn i have been to many good ones.

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:16 am UTC

Keane, Bank Of America Pavilion, Boston?, May 25, 2007.
They're just PEOPLE on the inside!
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:12 pm UTC

Combichrist headlining a Pharmacy rave last year.

Very small venue, very small stage (designed for DJs rather than bands) and me at the front of the mosh pit.

Combichrist are my absolute favourite band ever and their live show was fucking amazing. They were incredibly powerful and passionate and played all my favourite songs. It will be hard to beat that experience, at least until I find a new favourite band.

Memorable shows include Nine Inch Nails on the With_Teeth tour at Rod Laver Arena, KMFDM, VNV Nation, Danzig doing a very special Misfits set with Doyle on guitar and Crucified Barbara doing a secret show at a local punk bar.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Jimmons

Postby Jimmons » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:57 am UTC

The Sword with The Stinking Lizaveta was AMAZING. Lizaveta are such amazing musicians, and the Sword just have such presence.
The whole club came alive.
It was brilliant.
Then, after that, Iron Butterfly, which was the perfomance that made me realize I wanted to do music.
I saw them at a Hippiefest thing, which some other bands, that pretty much summed up mediocrety. It was fun, though.
All the other concerts weren't that great.
When I was a christian, I saw KJ52, and all it was was a bunch of people just pogoing. BORING.
Jars of Clay were really boring, too.

So, yeah, the sword with stinking lizaveta, best show evah.
"Man, Fuck That Shit"-Oscar Wilde

Jimmons

Postby Jimmons » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:02 am UTC

jbass357 wrote:ACL 2007 (Austin City Limits Festival 2007)

finally after many failed attempts i was able to see Blonde Redhead. after waiting almost a decade, i was able to see Björk in concert. both bands on the same day. great day for me.

of course this ties with seeing Rush and Radiohead live. damn i have been to many good ones.

Radiohead sounds like a boring show, but as much as I hate their music, Rush probably are AMAZING live.

Jimmons

Postby Jimmons » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:04 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:
cypherspace wrote:*clicks on link* Whoa, Jay Z is playing Glastonbury?? That's uh... unexpected.

The Other Stage is usually the best one, along with Jazzworld, but it doesn't look too hot this year. Last year the headliners were Bjork, the Chemical Brothers and Iggy And The Stooges, compared to the Arctic Monkeys, The Who and The Killers on the Pyramid stage.

Jay-Z is probably the reason the tickets haven't sold out yet. Personally I think it's a great move. Eclecticism is the whole point of Glastonbury. There's such a massive variety of stuff going on in the rest of the festival, but there's a lot of people who think that he's not right for a headlining slot. Apparently they should be reserved for guitar bands, or so it seems. I think that's bollocks. Not that I'm going to watch him though, it's Massive Attack on the Other Stage. I'd still like to see Jay-Z, as I'm not going to have another chance, so if Massive Attack turn out to be crappy live, then I'm switching stages.

It's because Jay-Z sucks a lot of ass.
If they'd have a good rapper, it would be different.
Kanye West could fill up seats, and so could Li'l Wayne.

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:15 am UTC

OmegaLord wrote:[Keane are] just PEOPLE on the inside!

I really doubt this... they managed to ruin not one but two U2 concerts back in 2005.

I've mentioned this further up the thread, but U2 really is a great band to see live (although I think this may change next time round: Bono is almost 50 now, and the high registers of his voice are weaker now than they used to be, sadly). If you ever have the time and money, hit five or six shows. I know I'll never regret the six weeks of school I skived off to follow them around the US.
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:46 am UTC

Jimmons wrote:The Sword with The Stinking Lizaveta was AMAZING. Lizaveta are such amazing musicians, and the Sword just have such presence.

Stinking Lizaveta are incredible live.

Also somewhat along those lines is DMBQ, and Green Milk From The Planet Orange.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

Jimmons wrote:It's because Jay-Z sucks a lot of ass.
If they'd have a good rapper, it would be different.
Kanye West could fill up seats, and so could Li'l Wayne.

Not at Glastonbury, they couldn't.

Going back to Stinking Lizaveta, they're amazing live, but you're so wrong about Radiohead it hurts.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

I saw Medeski, Martin & Wood at the Chameleon Club in Lancaster last night. Mind blowing.
<3 Live jazz. <33 Jazz Organ.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:10 am UTC

I'm playing a game called "How many times can I talk about ska in one forum?"

So I like ska, and I have been to a couple of concerts. Suburban Legends are amazing live, like fantastic, I never thought I'd like choreographed dance sequences, but they are awesome. The Pietasters put on a phenomenal live show, their main singer just has so much energy, and they play the crowd so well. Reel Big Fish also puts on a nice show and can work the crowd too.

I've seen Streetlight Manifesto three times and while they are one of my favorite bands I think their live shows leave a little to be desired. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love their music and they always have a great set selection, but their shows have never really blown me away. Also: Less than Jake puts on a decent show.

I also just recently saw Alkaline Trio and they put on a really good show as well. I never knew their bassist sang so many of their songs. I always thought it was Matt, but they pretty much split the songs in half. But yeah, they had a great set, very well rounded.

Oh, and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, a fantastic big-band swing group, has an amazing live performance. They did a cover of a song from the Jungle Book and it was pretty amazing.

This post went on longer than I expected.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

John O)))

Postby John O))) » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:16 am UTC

Best show I've ever seen was "Wolves in the Throne Room" at The Union. They're a black metal band for Olympia, Washington whose songs deal heavily with nature and environmentalism. They aren't about creating catchy melodies or anything, but more of a "wall of sound" and textures that make you feel something. It was one of the most intense things I've ever seen.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:34 am UTC

I missed a WitTR/Earth/SunnO))) concert a year ago because I was away on vacation, and I still regret it.

John O)))

Postby John O))) » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:59 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:I missed a WitTR/Earth/SunnO))) concert a year ago because I was away on vacation, and I still regret it.

Jesus, your ears would have exploded after that.

I want to see Sunn O))) so badly. That's actually what my username comes from.

Return to “Music”