Best Concert You've Been To

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

TheAmazingRando

Re: Best Concert You've Been To

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:38 am UTC

Heh, my friend actually woke up at 3 in the morning after the concert and threw up because of it. Or so he claims. He said it was the loudest thing he had ever heard in his entire life.

John O)))

Postby John O))) » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:01 am UTC

Haha, I'd believe it. Supposedly Sunn O))) can hit "the brown note".

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:I missed a WitTR/Earth/SunnO))) concert a year ago because I was away on vacation, and I still regret it.

My friend went to this. He said when Sunn O))) played they held their thumbs out like in Gladiator, then when they slowly turned their hands downward making a thumbs down they slid this bass note until it hit this note that made him feel like he was dying and he couldn't breathe because his lungs were vibrating.

While I really want to see them live, their only record I can stand to hear is Oracle.
"the time will come when men such as i look upon the murder
of animals as they now look upon the murder of men"

---
leonardo da vinci

Maskirovka

Postby Maskirovka » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:55 am UTC

I saw George Clinton and the P-Funk Allstars in a tiny university auditorium about 10 years ago. They came out an hour late but played for 2.5 hours in one solid jam session....that's been hard to top.

Wolf Parade in Pontiac, MI tonight...holy shit those guys ROCK live. Their live show was 9999x better than their album(s). Easily the best live performance I've seen in a loooong time.

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

I just saw Thou on a mountain. Definitely amazing.

---
leonardo da vinci

Daelar

Postby Daelar » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

Was at Scars On Broadway gig in London on friday. Considering the album isn't out yet it was awesome to hear their songs, and the place was so small.

This will likely be replaced with the entirety of Reading festival though.

codyhotel

Postby codyhotel » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:53 am UTC

I just saw Iron Maiden last month, but even as amazing as it was, it is still number two for me,

Me and my buddy went to see The Red Hot Chili Peppers almost 2 years ago, and we had no idea who the opening band was going to be. When we get there, we go sit down and I see Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and the rest of The Mars Volta tuning up, preparing to open for the Chilis. and THAT, my friends, was the greatest concert I have ever seen.

Until I get to see either Daft Punk or Muse live, that is.
Philwelch wrote:Would a prostitution enthusiast be a buy-sexual?

...sorry.

BobMacDhonnchaidh

Postby BobMacDhonnchaidh » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:25 pm UTC

I just saw Rage Against the Machine
Thig crìoch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceòl

Help save us from 16 years of boredom!

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:23 pm UTC

Wait... WHAT. You saw RATM? Where? When? How? I've been wanting to see them forever...
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

BobMacDhonnchaidh

Postby BobMacDhonnchaidh » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:48 pm UTC

lazarus89 wrote:Wait... WHAT. You saw RATM? Where? When? How? I've been wanting to see them forever...

Was right at the front

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

First show:
Spoiler:
System of a Down concert, played at one of Chicago's finest venues. We got mind numbingly stoned prior to the show, and left our jackets in the car. Entering the venue from a chilly november evening, we were greeted by a wall of sound, painful to push against. "Is this it? Is this what a 'concert' is?" I thought. Suddenly the lights flick off, and the crowd starts to pack forward, screaming and roaring. Two spotlights crack on in time to a heart shattering, "DUUUUNM!!!" and crack off immediately, leaving a retinal and acoustic afterglow. I'm not even standing anymore, the crowd is a seething tide of maniacs. The spotlights crack again and stay on, and Serge whispers

They're trying to build a prison...

And it was all over. It's like trying to navigate in a hurricane. I'm terrified and panicked, I AM IN A FUCKING PRISON, and really high to boot, and I squirm myway to a side wall where I lean back and catch my breath, staring at an orgiastic clusterfuck of people writhing to "Prison Song" when out of no where, my friend comes rushing at me, grabs me by the back of my shirt, and hauls me into the pit.

The car got towed, and we ended up waiting for an hour in the frigid cold, in sopping wet tshirts, at a tow yard with about 100 other concert goers. We made the fee by about 3 bucks.

Best show however would probably be:
Spoiler:
Flogging Molly at some rundown venue in SoCal. My friend was thrown out (for being too drunk, not for being a badass), and I went into the pit with a tshirt and a pair of bluejeans, came out with a skirt and a bandolier.

or:
Spoiler:
Aesop Rock bumped my (at the time) 10 year old brother, which makes my little brother way cooler then I'll ever be, and Ace a solid gent for making the 10 year olds day.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:02 am UTC

Definitely mewithoutYou. Aaron Weiss alone is incredibly entertaining with all his flower flinging, crazy dancing, dual-wielding tamborines, and banging on pots and pans.

ArchAngel1024

Postby ArchAngel1024 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:03 pm UTC

Steve Vai, it wasn't a show, it was a performance.

Amazing, he kept your attention the whole show, and when I saw him, he had two violinists with him. It was just amazing.
<Sk8t> dude, Life is the hardest MMORPG out there, but don't quit, as you won't get to make another character

In IRC I'm Ace_of_Knaves now

grimmace23

Postby grimmace23 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:35 am UTC

Tough choice, but I'd have to say Iron Maiden 2008, Sydney (closely followed by Guns N' Roses 2007, Sydney). My reasoning is that musically, Maiden are slightly more orgasmic, plus it was the original (well not really, coz Dickinson wasn't the original singer and Smith came in a few years afterwards) lineup, compared to the very disappointing Axl Rose + nobodies playing the old GNR hits. Not that GNR were bad, but they just didn't deliver like they would have with Slash and Co.

So yeah, Iron Maiden.

ReynoldsWrap

Postby ReynoldsWrap » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

I saw Opeth and Dream Theater during the progressive nation tour in Cleveland, May 17th. Two of my all time favorite bands together, best night of my life.

Insanity's Partner

Postby Insanity's Partner » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:33 am UTC

That's an easy one. Death Cab for Cutie concert in the Red Rocks Amphitheater in Denver. On the last day of school. As a first date. Doesn't really get much better than that. ^^

They were great. We ended up really early, so we got to ditch our reserved seats for general seating up front. Close enough to see Ben Gibbard's moving lips.

Second best would be the Shiny Toy Guns in the House of Blues in Orlando. They were awesome. Carah (Lead female singer.) is also a basist and keyboardist. She and Jeremy (Bass and Keyboard) occasionally traded places. There was also a weird thing where the Chad (Other lead singer) spat this huge hawker at Mikey (Drummer.), who then tried to catch it in his mouth. xD
Dead Like Me: (n.) [ded lajk mi:] Firefly for people who excel at not giving a shit.

Melannen

Postby Melannen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:55 am UTC

I guess the best one I've been to was to the Bare Naked Ladies concert at the JLC in London.

Why?

Because it was my first and only concert to date :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

filefly

Postby filefly » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:23 am UTC

Explosions in the Sky and Lichens, April 2008 in Buffalo. By far the most energetic and LOUDEST show I've ever been to. Apparently they're going on hiatus, so it might be a while before they do any more live shows, but dear sweet merciless mother of crap, do NOT pass up an Explosions show. Just don't do it.

drock

Postby drock » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

Would probably have to be The Sound of Animals Fighting at the House of Blues in Hollywood.

So happy I got tickets beforehand. There were only 4 shows period.(redundant period) They had random old film clips in the background, artists on both sides of the stage painting/drawing, and dancers!

It's on youtube!
"Hey, they're trying to learn for free! Get em!" - Simpsons

carbohydrated

Postby carbohydrated » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Best show however would probably be:
Flogging Molly

I'll have to second that. Saw them at a big open-air festival in Finland, and they blew me away. They've got the right attitude on stage, and the entire crowd loved it from what I saw. Being ripped into the moshpit was another story though.

drock

Postby drock » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

carbohydrated wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:Best show however would probably be:
Flogging Molly

I'll have to second that. Saw them at a big open-air festival in Finland, and they blew me away. They've got the right attitude on stage, and the entire crowd loved it from what I saw. Being ripped into the moshpit was another story though.

lol. They're pretty amazing. I saw them in Arizona during Edgefest and it started pouring (i know wth, arizona)and they kept playing even though there was thunder. Edgefest crew had to stop them. Their fans are pretty cool. =)
"Hey, they're trying to learn for free! Get em!" - Simpsons

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

I was at a flogging molly show once with a broken arm, in a cast, and just bounced around the pit with my hand held straight up. At the end of the show I was sitting near the back catching my breath and a dude limps by on crutches, his foot in a cast, followed by another guy in an arm cast as well, and we had a "Haha, we're hurt as fuck but this show rocked!" moment.

Also, Flogging Molly fans are the best behaved mosh pitters I've ever seen! They'll throw elbows and shoulders and fling you this way and that, but the instant someone goes down everyone holds back and pulls them to their feet! it's a really remarkable sensation of having 20 hands grab your fallen form and throw you upright, because that's what this shits all about, a big mutual party we're all trying to enjoy, and no one needs to get (too) hurt doing it.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:23 pm UTC

I believe the problem of incorporating hip-hop into Glasto is easily solved by use of the Roots. I saw them a few weeks ago and they can rock the Hell out when needed. They did a huge jam on Dylan's "Masters of War" that incorporated an epic drum solo, as well as portions of "Machine Gun" by Jimi Hendrix. They're a regular at stateside festivals.
They are also my best free show ever.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:22 am UTC

Maskirovka wrote:I saw George Clinton and the P-Funk Allstars in a tiny university auditorium about 10 years ago...
Lucky. Parliament and Funkadelic recorded some of the most universally likable music I've ever heard. I've thrown on Mothership Connection in all sorts of different circumstances and crowds, and nobody has ever objected.

mrorange
Something from Reservoir Dogs, perhaps?

Postby mrorange » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:26 am UTC

well i just saw wilco on friday and i had heard of them but not heard them before and damn are they a fun band. The best part was the fact that they truly seemed to want to be there. they played two new songs (in nowheres Alaska of all places) and had been touring around town for the last few days (a friend of mine who works at the museum saw them there and they dedicated one of the new songs to their "hiking buddies from angel rocks") all in all, awesome.
Truth be told/If I can be so bold/Your sig did inspire/What here did transpire/So that you would me admire/cause me to aspire/to greater heights/of lyrical plights.
-ThorFluff
BomanTheBear wrote: but then i started playing rugby and breakdancing.

BobMacDhonnchaidh

Postby BobMacDhonnchaidh » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

Saw Tom Waits last night. He was pretty fucking good.

jimmiek

Postby jimmiek » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:04 am UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:So last night I saw Muse in Philadelphia (at Festival Pier). It was nothing short of mind-blowing. I got there around 4:30 for an 8:00 show, and ended up standing behind my sister, who was holding onto the riot fencing. I gotta say--Muse was amazing. Their setlist was awesome, and their playing was brilliant.

So what was the best concert you've seen live?

The Gang of Four, 1982 US Festival. They blew my little mind.

Close second - Richard Thompson, New Orleans Jazzfest 1989.

jimmiek

Postby jimmiek » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:06 am UTC

mrorange wrote:well i just saw wilco on friday and i had heard of them but not heard them before and damn are they a fun band. The best part was the fact that they truly seemed to want to be there. they played two new songs (in nowheres Alaska of all places) and had been touring around town for the last few days (a friend of mine who works at the museum saw them there and they dedicated one of the new songs to their "hiking buddies from angel rocks") all in all, awesome.

I've seen Wilco a couple of times. The last (2004) was my favorite. I wasn't sure about "A Ghost Is Born" but those songs get some serious pixie dust going live. "Spiders" especially. Tweedy can place the heck outta that guitar too.

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:49 am UTC

Despite having seen Coheed and Cambria, Streetlight Manifesto, and REO Speedwagon (who all put on an amazing show), I still think that Bang Camaro has the best stage presence and atmosphere of them all.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

Just saw the Portraits of Past reunion show with La Quiete, Phoenix Bodies and Comadre. POP were definitely still going strong after 12 years.

---
leonardo da vinci

Mourndark

Postby Mourndark » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:37 pm UTC

Jean Michel Jarre, Oxygene Tour 2008.

Two hours of glorious sonic bliss. It may partly have been due to my (slightly obsessive) love of all of the 30 or so different vintage synthesizers he was using on stage but I don't care. And I met him afterwards.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

Enter Shikari at Leeds Fest last year.

I don't know how big they are in the states but they combine Rave and Screamo/Scene Metal - so the audience is full of ravers and moshers - the two most mental groups of people to be at a gig with.

Before they started one song they asked for 7 circle pits at the chorus - 9 broke out right there and then!

When it finished the sweat dripped off of the tent like rain. Not a concert with many girls in the audience!

Pigeon detectives were also awesome - the first and only time I croud-surfed.

Oh if anyone was at Leeds last year I was the guy walking about in the fur coat and cowboy hat! Standing at the front for 4 bands strait in that coat wasn't my best idea.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

I've been in so few concerts that it's quite shameful to tell. But the one I remember most fondly is David Byrne. I couldn't believe it when I saw he was coming to my town. It was one hell of an exciting night, and I loved the whole thing. I really like that guy. Other than that, I've seen Roger Waters (first concert ever) and the Musical Box (i.e. Genesis cover band, nearly the real thing).

rho

Postby rho » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Oxegen [sic] festival in Ireland last year. Muse headlined the first night and Daft Punk the second. Daft Punk live is something else and I'd kill to see them just one more time. (*ahem*)
I'm somewhere in here.

I'm off to Leeds in a couple of weeks. Shall see if RATM/Justice/CSS/Digitalism/Hadouken/Simian Mobile Disco/Other-favorites-who-should-be-awesome-live can top them. It'll have to be quite a set though.
Less Than Three.

protocoach

Postby protocoach » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:54 pm UTC

Just saw Flogging Molly here in Des Moines last week, and that immediately became the best concert I've ever been to. They have a presence on stage that's just unbelievable, and the band in general and Dave King in particular have this crazy manic energy that just never seems to flag. They've got a good sense for how to mix their slow and fast songs, and they manage to keep the crowd really involved through the whole thing. I especially loved "Whistles the Wind".
If I were a Viking god, I don't think I would fall for that.
But if I were a Viking, that's exactly what I would do.

How can you study geometry and not believe in a God?
A God of perfect points and planes,
Surrounded by arch-angels and right angles

NoDirectionHome

Postby NoDirectionHome » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

Bob Dylan at Newcastle Arena this year.

Truly incredible, was 3 rows back, centre or the row so he was about 15 feet from me, absolutely amazing.

floccinaucinihilipilifica

Postby floccinaucinihilipilifica » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

Overall favorite:

RATATAT at the Middle East in Cambridge, MA 2 years ago. I finally got hear "Seventeen Years" live, twice (it was one of the encores) and hop around, dancing like a maniac with other like-minded audiophiles, as their crazy lights blinded us all (the lights were kind of a pain in the ass, for the climax of every song the lights became tiny suns. cool the first few times, got tired of being blind by the end).

Runner-up:

Reel Big Fish at the Avalon in Boston, MA 3 year ago. My first crowd surfing experience, and also a very drunken, rowdy, but good natured and friendly experience. Flogging Molly was a pretty similar experience, too, but no crowd surfing at that one, because it was at the Paradise.
[robodance]┌|∵|┐ ┌| ∵|┘ └|∵|┘└|∵ |┐ ┌|∵|┐[/robodance] [roboymca]└|∵|┘ /|∵|\ |∵|= ┌|∵|┐ [/roboymca]
I wanted the username floccinaucinihilipilification but it was too long.

Melannen

Postby Melannen » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:28 pm UTC

Ohh!! I forgot! I HAVE seen one other concert!

It was by far the BEST concert ever too!

It was my own. My best friends and I all played in the band at school, and I got a solo for "What A wonderful World" and for "Beethoven's 5th" haha!

I also played Oh Canada with flute, sax (a&t), oboe, and a 2nd trumpet player. I had the loudest instrument, and you could really hear me shine :D:D:D

So... THAT was the best concert I've ever been to :)

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:11 am UTC

The coheed concert I saw was the best thing ever, anywhere. No world for Tomorrow was completely amazing. Best show I've ever seen too. I'll post pictures when I get the disposable camera developed.

I didn't get any pictures, but at the end of the show, Claudio came out in a stormtrooper helmet. That's right. A fucking stormtrooper helmet.

Awesome show.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

ewige

Postby ewige » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:22 pm UTC

They Might Be Giants. The opening act was this crazy guy on accordion, and when TMBG finally played their opening song, they blew the power out of the venue. While the tech guys scrambled to find an appropriate fuse somewhere in the county, John and John came out and played a mini acoustic set. The fuse was replaced and the fun was allowed to continue. The energy in the place was fantastic. Really, really, really fun.
While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence.

Return to “Music”