Guilty Pleasure

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

DR6
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:44 pm UTC

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby DR6 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

I have ~150 Taylor Swift songs, counting a compilation of 84 unreleased ones: from those, it's safe to say that I listen a half. I'm not ashamed(I already came to terms with it myself), but it's not the kind of thing you can just drop in a music conversation with anyone, specially things like 22 or I Knew You Were Trouble(I happen to dislike WANEGBT(fuck, even it's name is too big), but I almost invariably hate the best known song of every artist I love, so that's normal).

User avatar
3fj
Posts: 1715
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:13 pm UTC
Location: Land of Whisky and Bagpipes (LOWAB)
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby 3fj » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

The longer I go on, the more cliched I seem to be getting when it comes to rock/metal. For example, there's a little reddening of the cheeks when i tell people I've been getting into Slipknot and Rammstein recently, but I'm not sure if they qualify as a guilty pleasure; if only because there are folks who expected me to already be way into them and gotten over it.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

User avatar
Wednesday
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:31 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Wednesday » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:30 am UTC

I have the same deal going on with shitty emo rock. Flyleaf? Fuck yes. Thursday? Also fuck yes. I goddamned love My Chemical Romance and all of the terribly early 2000's "hahaha I'm so goth oh my god PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEE" highschooler bands. It's a thing I'm expected to have grown out of, and I normally say I have because fuck me if I'm going to tell most of my friends I'm actually still a teenager, but hey.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks


User avatar
Wednesday
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:31 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Wednesday » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:44 am UTC

She seriously is. Also hot as crap. And Christian(?????)
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1056
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC
Location: couldn't even find coffee in copenhagen

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:13 am UTC

Wednesday wrote:I have the same deal going on with shitty emo rock. Flyleaf? Fuck yes. Thursday? Also fuck yes. I goddamned love My Chemical Romance and all of the terribly early 2000's "hahaha I'm so goth oh my god PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEE" highschooler bands.

YES YES AND ESPECIALLY YES

I can't really explain to anyone why I love most Placebo (especially Placebo and Meds), though they aren't a guilty pleasure. Nobody I know would get it. Perhaps somebody here does?

Examples:
Come Home
Follow the Cops Back Home. The video is amusing too.
36 Degrees
Special K
Or, like, half their songs. But especially those, and some others.

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:01 pm UTC

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:14 pm UTC

Yeah. there's nothing wrong with enjoying Placebo. Teenage Angst is a great song.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche


~ ahammel

User avatar
Wednesday
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:31 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Wednesday » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:
Wednesday wrote:I have the same deal going on with shitty emo rock. Flyleaf? Fuck yes. Thursday? Also fuck yes. I goddamned love My Chemical Romance and all of the terribly early 2000's "hahaha I'm so goth oh my god PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEE" highschooler bands.

YES YES AND ESPECIALLY YES

I can't really explain to anyone why I love most Placebo (especially Placebo and Meds), though they aren't a guilty pleasure. Nobody I know would get it. Perhaps somebody here does?

Examples:
Come Home
Follow the Cops Back Home. The video is amusing too.
36 Degrees
Special K
Or, like, half their songs. But especially those, and some others.


Hahah. I mean, I'm a much larger fan of Flyleaf and Thursday, but MCR is certainly...self indulgent. Which reminds me, I need to check back and see whether Fall Out Boy and Panic! At the Disco were as bad and fun as I remember them being. And Bright Eyes.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11262
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

I really like Flyleaf, but MCR is a sin against music. Sorry

User avatar
Wednesday
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:31 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Wednesday » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

Oh no, you're absolutely right. They're terrifically bad, but it's kind of like not being able to tear your eyes (or ears, in this case) from a terrible accident out of morbid fascination and a penchant for catchy music.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1056
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC
Location: couldn't even find coffee in copenhagen

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

I could never really get into Thursday or Flyleaf, though I tried a few times. Well, only once with Flyleaf. Flyleaf just felt like three days grace sans angst, and if you like three days grace I really hope you feel guilty.

It's the angst that made linkin park and staind* so awesome to listen to a decade ago. Those angst neurons stopped firing along the angst pathways a few years ago, but it's still occasionally nice to indulge them.

*back before aaron theleadsingerslastname had a daughter and stopped being angsty.

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11262
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

... I hate everything about you.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1056
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC
Location: couldn't even find coffee in copenhagen

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

well played. So well played that overplayed.

They just don't sound or feel like they are having fun is all.

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11262
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

Agreed. I like that one song, sometimes, but in general, not a fan of theirs.

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:50 am UTC

Adam Gontier's voice is the sexiest thing on this planet, but now that he's gone they don't really stand out.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
Wednesday
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:31 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Wednesday » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:11 am UTC

No no no. Mikael Akerfeldt has the sexiest voice on the planet (Sorry, Jordan.) You should listen to that link until about 1:15 to see what's up with his voice.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

User avatar
3fj
Posts: 1715
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:13 pm UTC
Location: Land of Whisky and Bagpipes (LOWAB)
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby 3fj » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:43 am UTC

Placebo
Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:I can't really explain to anyone why I love most Placebo (especially Placebo and Meds), though they aren't a guilty pleasure. Nobody I know would get it. Perhaps somebody here does?

English Summer Rain is one of my favourites. I saw them in concert with my cool aunt when they did their Meds tour and I've been a fan ever since.
I think Placebo, Thrice's Alchemical Index and such are my guilty pleasures, if just because I hate showing that side of myself to other people. Like, most of what I listen to yells "Stand strong! Fight to the death for what you believe in!" and that's great when you're feeling good about yourself or need a little boost, but when you're feeling ultra-shitty and vulnerable that's not really what you want to hear.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

User avatar
PatrickRsGhost
Posts: 2278
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 5:43 pm UTC
Location: ZZ9PluralZAlpha
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:47 am UTC

Musical soundtracks. I actually have a playlist on my media player called "Musicals". It features:

42nd Street
Evita (Madonna version)
Fiddler on the Roof
Jesus Christ Superstar
The Music Man
Rocky Horror Picture Show

As of the time stamp on this post, I'm watching "The Music Man" on Turner Classic Movies.
PRG

An important message for you:

010000100110010100100000011100110
111010101110010011001010010000001
110100011011110010000001100101011
000010111010000100000011110010110
111101110101011100100010000001100
010011000010110001101101111011011
1000101110

User avatar
eSOANEM
:D
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

Guilty pleasures: Flyleaf and Crooked Still.

I like their music; it's nice (albeit they're both completely different). The guilt comes from the fact that when you listen to the lyrics of quite a few songs they can be kind-of problematically Christian. Crooked Still aren't so bad, most of their religious songs are at least of the happy-clappy school of thought; Flyleaf on the other hand? They're a hell of a lot more problematic. Take Cassie for instance. That is promoting one hell of a fucked up sense of priorities:

Lyrics [trigger warning for suicide]
Spoiler:
The question asked in order
To save her life or take it
The answer "No" to avoid death
The answer "Yes" would make it
Make it

"Do you believe in God?"
Written on the bullet
Say "Yes" to pull the trigger
"Do you believe in God?"
Written on the bullet
And Cassie pulled the trigger


When I first heard the song, I hadn't realised they were Christian and I assumed it was about how faith can make people do stupid things and then I found out it was encouraging that!

It's a nice song though if you ignore the lyrics hence the guilty pleasure.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11262
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

I don't see how that song encourages school shootings...

User avatar
eSOANEM
:D
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

Didn't say school shootings.

It does however portray pointless martyrdom (Cassie chooses to die rather than not say that she believes in God) as a virtue. That is problematic for me. Placing declarations of faith (not the faith itself) above any concern for your own life can only lead to badness in my mind. Martyrdom as a concept is not inherently problematic for me but Cassie's death in this song accomplishes nothing except preventing her from ever doing any good again. Assuming she was living a good life beforehand (and I think most people try to), her death was a bad thing (in that it robbed society of the good she would otherwise have done) and thus her choice to die then was not moral. Encouraging immoral acts or holding them up as virtuous is problematic to me. Hence my issues with this song in particular (most Flyleaf songs seem to be fine and at most Crooked Still-like in their "this is clearly a Christian song but not in a problematic way" type of Christian-ness and I just find it mildly uncomfortable having such a religious message in music I listen to).

Edit: sorry for bringing the mood down/taking this in more of an SB suitable direction :/
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
cjmcjmcjmcjm
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 am UTC
Location: Anywhere the internet is strong

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:36 am UTC

1108 Thugz: Hardcore pussy rap
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:01 pm UTC

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

Icona Pop - I Love It

It's a terrible song

but I love it

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche


~ ahammel

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:15 am UTC

Rodion Raskolnikov wrote:Icona Pop - I Love It

It's a terrible song

This part I agree with. The guilt is well deserved.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1056
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC
Location: couldn't even find coffee in copenhagen

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:04 am UTC

I agree with you both. I, too, love that awful, bizarre song.

User avatar
teenidle
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:15 pm UTC
Location: Europe

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby teenidle » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

I listen to The Star-Spangled Banner way more than I should.

User avatar
WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby WibblyWobbly » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Didn't say school shootings.

It does however portray pointless martyrdom (Cassie chooses to die rather than not say that she believes in God) as a virtue. That is problematic for me. Placing declarations of faith (not the faith itself) above any concern for your own life can only lead to badness in my mind. Martyrdom as a concept is not inherently problematic for me but Cassie's death in this song accomplishes nothing except preventing her from ever doing any good again. Assuming she was living a good life beforehand (and I think most people try to), her death was a bad thing (in that it robbed society of the good she would otherwise have done) and thus her choice to die then was not moral. Encouraging immoral acts or holding them up as virtuous is problematic to me. Hence my issues with this song in particular (most Flyleaf songs seem to be fine and at most Crooked Still-like in their "this is clearly a Christian song but not in a problematic way" type of Christian-ness and I just find it mildly uncomfortable having such a religious message in music I listen to).

Edit: sorry for bringing the mood down/taking this in more of an SB suitable direction :/


Booo. The story it references probably isn't even true, anyway. I mean, feel free to enjoy the song(s), but yeah, that celebration of a probably fake "martyrdom" ... ugh.

User avatar
EchoRomulus
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:26 pm UTC

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby EchoRomulus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

I admit to becoming a little ticked off after reading the lyrics. Christianity (Catholicism specifically) decrees:

Suicide and martyrdom are opposites. In a general sense, Suicide means someone cares so little for the world they want to see the last of it. Martyrdom means someone cares so much for something outside of themselves that they forget their own life.

In order for someone to be a martyr they have to be...well...murdered. Suicide can /look/ like martyrdom. But it isn't. The songwriter just...failed.
"In here life is beautiful." --Cabaret

User avatar
eSOANEM
:D
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

Spoilered for specific and possibly off-topic discussion of the lyrics:

Spoiler:
My reading of the lyrics is not that Cassie literally killed herself and that all the references to her pulling the trigger are metaphorical. My reasoning for this is that the lyrics clearly say that the question of whether she believed in God was asked and then immediately follow up with the consequences of each answer. This really sounds like there's a second party actually asking the question and holding the gun.

We then get told that "she answered him knowing what would happen" which makes it very clear that yes there is a second party asking the question and that the answer is what causes her death. This again suggests that "he" is waiting for a response before murdering her rather than her committing suicide after answering the question. This is all textbook martyrdom stuff.

The references to Cassie pulling the trigger are obviously metaphorical. She does something that she knows will cause the trigger to be pulled so she may as well have pulled it herself.

Anyway, it is not the incident the song describes which I find problematic. Before I knew they were a Christian band and before I looked at the lyrics in detail I'd thought it was criticising the way religions have a tendency to prioritise outward expression of faith over your own life. This I would be fine with. Then I found out about their faith and reread the lyrics and saw the lines "All heads are bowed in silence, To remember her last sentence" and "And I will pull the trigger". The first of these I had previously read as being about the reaction i'd thought the song was criticising whereas now I see that it is advocating that reaction. The last line though is clearly glorifying the whole thing and declaring that the songwriter would make the same choice in Cassie's shoes.

That I find problematic. When artists make personal statements like that it can have a lot of power to influence people and it seems to me incredibly damaging to encourage people to, if they were put in that situation, choose death.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby WibblyWobbly » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Spoilered for specific and possibly off-topic discussion of the lyrics:

Spoiler:
My reading of the lyrics is not that Cassie literally killed herself and that all the references to her pulling the trigger are metaphorical. My reasoning for this is that the lyrics clearly say that the question of whether she believed in God was asked and then immediately follow up with the consequences of each answer. This really sounds like there's a second party actually asking the question and holding the gun.

We then get told that "she answered him knowing what would happen" which makes it very clear that yes there is a second party asking the question and that the answer is what causes her death. This again suggests that "he" is waiting for a response before murdering her rather than her committing suicide after answering the question. This is all textbook martyrdom stuff.

The references to Cassie pulling the trigger are obviously metaphorical. She does something that she knows will cause the trigger to be pulled so she may as well have pulled it herself.

Anyway, it is not the incident the song describes which I find problematic. Before I knew they were a Christian band and before I looked at the lyrics in detail I'd thought it was criticising the way religions have a tendency to prioritise outward expression of faith over your own life. This I would be fine with. Then I found out about their faith and reread the lyrics and saw the lines "All heads are bowed in silence, To remember her last sentence" and "And I will pull the trigger". The first of these I had previously read as being about the reaction i'd thought the song was criticising whereas now I see that it is advocating that reaction. The last line though is clearly glorifying the whole thing and declaring that the songwriter would make the same choice in Cassie's shoes.

That I find problematic. When artists make personal statements like that it can have a lot of power to influence people and it seems to me incredibly damaging to encourage people to, if they were put in that situation, choose death.


Similarly spoilered:

Spoiler:
Isn't the song about the apocryphal story surrounding Cassie Bernall?

User avatar
eSOANEM
:D
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:40 am UTC

Spoiler:
It seems so. Which makes it all the clearer that this is an instance of martyrdom and not a suicide.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Роберт » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Now that you know what the song is about (a specific incident that allegedly happened IRL), does that make the song less problematic for you? It's not saying "go forth and irritate people until they kill you", it's saying "Cassie didn't bow to the whims of a school shooter". Besides, had that really happened (the shooter asked Cassie if she believed in God) and Cassie said "no", do you really think the shooter would have definitely decided not to shoot her?

I guess this falls into a general question of how you feel you should respond to threats of force/hostage situations/ransom demands/etc. To me it seems immoral to go along with what the person is demanding, because the more likely a ransom demand is going to work, the more people are going to make ransom demands, etc.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
eSOANEM
:D
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:43 am UTC

Spoiler:
No it doesn't make me more comfortable. The situation in the song is still abstracted from the alleged incident and, in the song, the consequences of each choice are known (whereas if it actually happened, there'd be a balance of probabilities). I am not comfortable with anything which encourages people to see death as the best option.

A ransom is a different situation again because it involves someone giving in to a demand based on a threat against someone else. As such there is generally more opportunity to interfere with the choice presented and choose a third option (e.g. call the police and get them to rescue the hostage). If someone who was armed tried to mug me, I would almost certainly give them whatever they asked for; my life is worth more than anything I carry on me.

Lastly, I do not see how any loving god could possibly decree that someone's outward expression of faith is more important than their life. They're a god, they shouldn't need outward expression of faith to knows someone believes and, if they love the person they should want them to be allowed to do whatever they need in order to live. If the Christian God is as benevolent as They are supposed to be, I do not possibly see how They could approve someone who acted like this (the situation Cassie was supposedly faced with is different because the element of choice in the song is not present).
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Роберт » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

Spoiler:
eSOANEM wrote:A ransom is a different situation again because it involves someone giving in to a demand based on a threat against someone else. As such there is generally more opportunity to interfere with the choice presented and choose a third option (e.g. call the police and get them to rescue the hostage). If someone who was armed tried to mug me, I would almost certainly give them whatever they asked for; my life is worth more than anything I carry on me.

Right, but the ethics behind it is similar: giving in to ransom demands encourages ransom demands, giving in to mugging demands encourages mugging. I would probably go along with it myself if I was in that situation, but I don't think that would be the most ethical response. It would instead be a selfish one.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
NieXS
Why's the rum gone?
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:10 am UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby NieXS » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:30 am UTC

I... have been listening to Avril Lavigne quite a lot lately. Girlfriend and Sk8er Boi in particular.

User avatar
eSOANEM
:D
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
Spoiler:
eSOANEM wrote:A ransom is a different situation again because it involves someone giving in to a demand based on a threat against someone else. As such there is generally more opportunity to interfere with the choice presented and choose a third option (e.g. call the police and get them to rescue the hostage). If someone who was armed tried to mug me, I would almost certainly give them whatever they asked for; my life is worth more than anything I carry on me.

Right, but the ethics behind it is similar: giving in to ransom demands encourages ransom demands, giving in to mugging demands encourages mugging. I would probably go along with it myself if I was in that situation, but I don't think that would be the most ethical response. It would instead be a selfish one.


Spoiler:
I do not have moral objections to Cassie's actions in the song (I don't think it is a good decision but, were it a real situation, that decision would be hers and not mine to take), my issue is with people praising this action. If someone says "Jimbob was a great man, he made the mugger stab him to death before giving up his money instead of encouraging muggings" I would object to that too. The ransom situation is different because there is not the dichotomy, nonetheless, I have trouble seeing "Jimbob was a great president, he let the hostages die rather than negotiate with terrorists" as a moral position.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby WibblyWobbly » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

A 25-year-old song that I only found last week. I guess it wasn't as popular in the States as in the UK.

Fairground Attraction - Perfect

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1056
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC
Location: couldn't even find coffee in copenhagen

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:40 am UTC

Natalie Imbruglia - Wrong Impression

Hadn't even heard this song until about a week ago.

chris857
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:04 pm UTC

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby chris857 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:45 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Billy Joel and Phil Collins.

There is no embarrassment with these, for I have seen the lights go out on Broadway coming in the air tonight, Mr. piano man. /pun

On to my guilty pleasures:
anything Caramell - but not speedy mix albums
Groove Coverage
Rosa Helikopter by Peaches: Only been listening to this for about a week, and I'm sure I'll be sick of it soon.
Some Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga


Not guilty pleasures:
Classic rock. There is no semblance of guilt, but plenty of pleasure.

User avatar
Quercus
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Guilty Pleasure

Postby Quercus » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:20 am UTC

Nickelback, this is how you remind me.

...I do have an excuse though. That song got stuck in my head when it was playing on the radio before my first ever day of white water kayaking, and it reminds me of a great day. The same thing happened with Maroon 5, she will be loved (the day I cracked linked turns on a snowboard). I now try to make sure to listen to good music before doing any such sports. It could be worse, I got Velvet Underground, Sweet Jane as my skiing song :D


Return to “Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests