Allusions in The Magician King by Lev Grossman

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Christo

Allusions in The Magician King by Lev Grossman

Postby Christo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

So, I was reading The Magician King by Lev Grossman, and I need some help with something. The hyper-literate hidden communities are not unlike the XKCD forums, right? So you all should be helpful. Grossman references everything from Doctor Who to The Tragedy of the Commons. And he makes a lot of far more obscure and hidden allusions. For example, at one point, he writes:

“[Julia] had tried to walked away from [magic], to run away from it, she really, truly had. She’d broken her staff and drowned her book and sworn off magic forever. She’d moved on and left no forwarding address. But it hadn’t been enough. Magic had come looking for her” (189).

This is an allusion to The Tempest when Prospero says:

I’ll break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
I’ll drown my book.

I also caught a direct reference to the Edmund Spencer's The Faerie Queene.

So here's my question, did anyone else pick up on some obscure references? I'm interested in just how many Easter Eggs that guy planted in his book.
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Allusions in The Magician King by Lev Grossman

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:45 am UTC

I don't remember them particularly, since I tend to recognize them straight off. If you enjoy that sort of game, look up Silverlock by John Meyers Meyers, which is as full of allusions as an egg is of meat.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Christo

Re: Allusions in The Magician King by Lev Grossman

Postby Christo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:I don't remember them particularly, since I tend to recognize them straight off.

That's an interesting thought. It's like saying your mental acuity prevents your mental acuity.
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

Return to “Books”