Fred Pohl

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Fred Pohl

Postby PAstrychef » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:34 am UTC

Alas, one of the greats has died. A charming person as well as an Astounding writer, he was one of those who created Science Fiction as a genre in modern literature.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Jorpho

Re: Fred Pohl

Postby Jorpho » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:55 am UTC

I have a bunch of books of his on my shelf that I haven't read yet. So far I've read Gateway, Beyond the Blue Event Horizon, Heechee Rendezvous, Man Plus, and The Coming of the Quantum Cats.

They were all quite readable, but it's all kind of pulpy. Gateway was probably the best of the bunch – I'm a little uncertain about the format, with a little easily-skippable atmospheric aside casually tossed in every few pages, but pretty cool nonetheless. The sequels just sort of come across as fan fiction; I hear The Annals of the Heechee is downright awful. (I wrote a review of Legend's interactive fiction games, though Pohl was not directly involved in those.)

The Coming of the Quantum Cats abruptly throws in a table describing a means of pronouncing binary digits twenty pages before the end, for no conceivable reason. I am baffled as to why any writer would try to get away with that; it probably says something about his clout with his publisher that he did in fact manage it.

Return to “Books”