best novels in public domain (internationally)?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

gilan

best novels in public domain (internationally)?

Postby gilan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:55 pm UTC

What are the greatest books out there that are already in public domain? Specifically I'd like ones that are popular in multiple countries and at least a few hundred pages long. I'm looking for good source text candidates for games. Not just English, but other languages too.
Trying to make games for smart people since 1986. http://beacegames.nfshost.com/

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: best novels in public domain (internationally)?

Postby Angua » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:09 pm UTC

Sherlock Holmes is the best one I can think of off the top of my head. Jules Verne and HG Wells should be. Don Quixote is the only one Ican think of that's non-English though Tolstoy and Chekhov are probably old enough.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

gilan

Postby gilan » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:17 am UTC

Thanks Angua. Sherlock Holmes is indeed the one I thought of first. That's what I used for the first version of my mobile game. It's called Holmes Cryptic Cipher. I'd love it if you'd try it out and let me know what you think. There are free and paid versions for Android and iOS devices: http://beacegames.nfshost.com/
Trying to make games for smart people since 1986. http://beacegames.nfshost.com/

Koniec12

Postby Koniec12 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:18 am UTC

Sherlock is the best. Books, movies and tv serieses.

almach

Postby almach » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:19 am UTC

These aren't personal recommendations because I've never read any of them but, in addition to what's already been mentioned:

Dickens, Austen, Brontë sisters, Dostoevsky, Goethe, Sienkiewicz, Kafka, Christie (some of hers anyway), Elliot, Woolf, Remarque, Scott, Dumas, Hawthorne, Wilde, Hugo.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:33 am UTC

Project Gutenberg is your friend

Top 25 downloads from their site (of free eBooks). Plenty of variety - Dickens, Conan Doyle, the brothers Grimm, Austen, Joyce, Wilde... I'm sure they've got all sorts of other titles, but these are the most downloaded and hence probably most widely-known. They go off the US definition of what's in the public domain, so you might want to be a little careful about assuming international rules from that, but hopefully the most popular books there might give you some inspiration.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:05 pm UTC

Frankenstein.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

almach

Postby almach » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:46 am UTC

Echo244 wrote:Project Gutenberg is your friend

Top 25 downloads from their site (of free eBooks). Plenty of variety - Dickens, Conan Doyle, the brothers Grimm, Austen, Joyce, Wilde... I'm sure they've got all sorts of other titles, but these are the most downloaded and hence probably most widely-known. They go off the US definition of what's in the public domain, so you might want to be a little careful about assuming international rules from that, but hopefully the most popular books there might give you some inspiration.

U.S. copyright law is just about the most restrictive in the world. If it's public domain in the U.S., there are few places where it will be in copyright.

tomandlu

Postby tomandlu » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:36 am UTC

Dracula, Pride and Prejudice, and Tom Sawyer.
How can I think my way out of the problem when the problem is the way I think?

Return to “Books”