Nanowrimo?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

We had a NaNoCoffeClub the past few years, but if I don't have time to write at home, I totally don't have time to drive across town to a coffee shop to write with strangers. *sigh* But I'll make it this year. I have to.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:24 pm UTC

semicolon wrote:
Jesster wrote:My one fear is that November will finally be the month Sparx gets his act together and we blitz our next graphic novel, which should have been done by the end of August, but wasn't. If he does that then I can't afford to turn him down, but there's no way I can switch between writing a graphic novel and a normal novel, two very different writing styles and ideas.

So if that happens, drop the novel. No reason not to start just in case other stuff comes up.

I didn't say I was not starting. I said that I feared it would stop me getting it done. You will notice my first post in the thread, where I said I was participating. As it is, we're going to try and finish this graphic novel script by the end of October, because my submission of it as freelance work is going to co-incide with the biggest piece of fanwankery shit Marvel will ever release, so I have a decent chance of being picked up.

semicolon

Re: Nanowrimo?

Postby semicolon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:27 am UTC

Bump, because it's already October and I don't have shit for ideas. I am freaking out.

Lyra Ngalia

Postby Lyra Ngalia » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:07 am UTC

I officially signed up on the NaNo site (Oh me yarm so slow). I ought to have my head examined for this...
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path... Only I will remain.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:54 pm UTC

I can't even GET to the NaNo forums... what the heck?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:10 pm UTC

Perhaps they are too small.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Anomie

Postby Anomie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:21 pm UTC

I'm trying to register, but it's taking sooooo long. I only have a vague idea of what i'm doing, but i'm too hungover and tired to get my head around it. I think I might make it about the end of the world though.
They don't sleep on the beaches anymore.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:24 pm UTC

The forum hasn't loaded for a week.... I hope they have it working by the time November actually shows up.

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:57 pm UTC

I keep being tempted - the problem is that since I work, it would be all my free time for the entire month. And since I have a husband and two kids, that might not be the most diplomatic thing I've ever done.

I've written around 300,000 words of amateur fiction over the last 3 years. I write most nights. Just not that solidly.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:04 pm UTC

You have a husband, two kids... and free time?

Can you tell my wife how you do that trick?

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:21 pm UTC

I hear meth is good for that.

Note: The above is a response to both Jalapeno and the entire thread.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:53 am UTC

Oh me yarm I JUST HAD AN IDEA AND IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD

I think.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:36 am UTC

My story is sort of a mix of murder-mystery/thriller/supernatural. Also, for being a story all about a gun, there's surprisingly little violence.

Wait, where are you going? Come back! READ ME!!!!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:18 am UTC

I have what might be a viable idea for NaNoWriMo.

I just don't know if I can produce 2000 words a day. I have trouble producing 200 words in a week.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:45 am UTC

As it's definitely starting to look like I won't have a job by November, I really might do this.

Inspired by another thread down here, I'd like to write some female-dominated science fiction. In deference to my fantasy leanings and the fact that this is also a license to write utter dreck, it'll probably involve dragons with guns.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:08 am UTC

Here's my story idea. It was generated by an Internet meme, and half the fandoms aren't even mine, they're a friend's. So I am not responsible for it in the slightest. :D

Veronica Mars and Cordelia Chase reluctantly team up to save the world from the threat posed by Dean Winchester's sinister secret organization. Keith Mars volunteers to help them, but it is later discovered that Keith is actually a spy for Dean. Meanwhile, Dean has kidnapped Eric Weiss in an attempt to force their surrender. Following the wise advice of Cindy "Mac" Mackenzie, they seek out Hermione Granger, who gives them what they need to complete their quest.

Also, I'm of half a mind to set the whole shebang in a vaguely post World War II environment, primarily so I can imagine this sucker in Humphrey Bogart black-and-white. Veronica Mars in trenchcoat and fedora? Yes.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:28 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:You have a husband, two kids... and free time?

Can you tell my wife how you do that trick?

It's what I have while other women do housework :)

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:33 pm UTC

semicolon wrote:blahblahblah

Otherwise I'd've posted it.

blahblahblah

Wow! Someone else who uses double contractions! I don't think I've ever seen anyone else use the word(s) I'd've before.

Anywhooo...
I tried last year. The significant word being tried. I think I got to a rather pathetic count of like 6,000 before I ran out of steam. Though that may have been that the world I had been building for that time was pretty incomplete and lacking. This time I'm building another world (well, technically universe since it's sci-fi), that wasn't actually intended to be used for NaNoWriMo, but will end up serving the purpose nicely. Just like last year. I think my main problem last year was that I was being too much of a perfectionist, so when I left and came back to read it to get my mojo going again, I spotted errors, fix'd them, changed phrasing, sometimes I was even crazy enough to delete entire sentences. Crazy.

The plot however will be no problem, since there is very little of it. It's essentially going to be a sci-fi version of the clichéd "Bunch of adventurers go adventuring adventurously looking for treasure and end up adventuring into a big evil plot by a big evil cult to take over the kingdom/continent/world/plane" affair. It's going to be quite fun, especially because I really like my FTL travel mode. As far as my (extremely) amateur knowledge of relativity and causality goes, it violates neither while still traveling distances of 10 parsecs in the space of a few hours. The interesting part is that the propulsions do not scale: it may take less than a day to go from system X to system Y, but it takes months to get from jump point A to planet B. Plenty of time for inconsequential banter and maybe even a bit of character development.

Oh dear, I seem to have gone totally off-topic and explained my plans for NaNoWriMo =/ Ah well.

Also, for the editing: apparently March is NaNoEdMo. I'll give you three guesses for what that abbreviation means.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:21 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:It's going to be quite fun, especially because I really like my FTL travel mode.

Cool, what is it? I had an idea about shrinking space, but I have no idea how that would be useful. Seeing as the plot would've involved the collapse of the universe, I guess not! It was fairly late when I had that idea :P
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:06 am UTC

Whoah crap! It's soon right?
Real soon!
wark!
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:33 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:
thecommabandit wrote:It's going to be quite fun, especially because I really like my FTL travel mode.

Cool, what is it? I had an idea about shrinking space, but I have no idea how that would be useful. Seeing as the plot would've involved the collapse of the universe, I guess not! It was fairly late when I had that idea :P

Well I was very particular that I wanted a type that actually traversed the space between origin and target, and didn't involve any of this warp drive create-a-pocket-universe-around-my-ship-with-magic crap. Though to be hard on myself, it does actually rely completely on a physical mechanic that almost certainly does not exist. Oh well, it's not like I'm going to explain it in the story itself to the detail I have in the word document named after it.

Anyway, 'tis called a "Quantum Cord Drive", it is. Most people just call it a 'superspinner' though, since the component that gets around the causality issue is a spinny thing that causes a superposition. Hence superspinner.

There's not too much more to it really. Well, not that I could say without hijacking the thread. So I'll leave it at that.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:35 pm UTC

I just signed up! I actually thought I had already, but now it's super-true!
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:48 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Yay, bunnies!

:D :) :|... :shock:
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

bbctol

Postby bbctol » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

Kickass idea, free memory, tons of paper, tons of pencils, supportive people. I'm ready.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:19 pm UTC

Same here, except replace "paper and pencils" with "laptop and wristbraces". :)

And, with luck, free time.

bbctol

Postby bbctol » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:09 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Same here, except replace "paper and pencils" with "laptop and wristbraces". :)

And, with luck, free time.

This reminds of the most frustrating thing about me and writing:

When I write longhand, I write really well. When I type, my writing is crappy. I have no idea why this is, and it is a reeeeeal pain to write out anything I want to be good longhand. I'm considering switching over to typing for NaNoWriMo, because it will be faster. Is this an obviously good idea?

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:42 am UTC

Some people do prefer pencil and paper. I work things out on paper, but my handwriting is largely illegible and a lot slower than typing. I also find that my hand cramps up writing before my wrists would be going numb when typing.

Do whatever you want- just be careful about ergonomics with your computer. I wrote most of my thesis on a laptop in a coffeeshop with a crappy wireless connection because the tables were low enough that my wrists didn't ache. My office with a good keyboard and two huge monitors and a great Internet connection had no way to get the chair at the right height for me and my wrists suffered until I figured out the problem.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Sjonyonye

Postby Sjonyonye » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:17 am UTC

When I won in 2005 I got a free printed copy of my book. I do hope they have that offer again this year, even though it was quite a bitch to design it. But... a PHYSICAL COPY of my book now resides in my room!

My favourite plots are really vague. In 2005 it was: girl with red hair loses memory and walks down a road. This is enough to stimulate a plot that I did not plan at all. She ended up dying and going to some cute remnant of an afterlife, while someone had plans to resurrect her. It was awful, but occasionally saved by some enjoyable dialogue. A total of five people read it, and for this reason I am too embarrassed to look at it.

I often revert to my own stream-of-consciousness while I'm writing it, and inserting myself as the "Author" or "God" character.

A fantastic source of inspiration is in the Dares thread, which I will gladly offer a link to: http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/1000026

I think while we're writing, we all need to paste in here the best or worst parts of our novels.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:06 am UTC

I think I'm leaning in the direction of the Main character starting off dead, I have some good prose going around my head for that right now...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

platypus01

Postby platypus01 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:24 am UTC

i signed up at the website. Looks like i'll be doing it this year, for the first time.

i get the same problem with my hand dying way too fast. very annoying. i can type forever though. relatively anyway. still debating whether i want to type or handwrite.....
bleh

Jadestone

Postby Jadestone » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:50 pm UTC

I did it last year, knowing I wasn't going to finish, and got to about 10,000 words. Between school+2 hockey teams I doubt I'll be able to do better than that this year, but it's fun and I enjoyed it. Maybe I'll learn to like coffee and get to 15,000 this time around.

Although, I didn't actually finish last years story. I was actually just getting into the rising action when the month ended, but I had it all planned out in my head... I mean, this is the first time I'd ever written anything with a set plot instead of a vauge idea where I was going with it.
So this year I'm just going to continue off my old one (starting the word count back at zero, though) because I think it was a pretty good idea, and if I don't those characters are just going to die inside my head. And I don't want that.

Are we posting descriptions here? I've got one somewhere but it's kinda long.
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."

George Orr

Postby George Orr » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:16 pm UTC

I may actually be able to convince myself that this is a good idea.

I write some random poetry now and then, and I've done a short story or two, but a book? I guess it could be fun, maybe, sort of...
Go, said the bird, for the leaves were full of children,
Hidden excitedly, containing laughter.
Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind
Cannot bear very much reality.

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:38 pm UTC

I've decided to do NaNoWriMo this year, mainly because I'm a glutton for punishment. Originally, my idea was going to be a novel about my transhumanist, techno-utopian ideas, but I couldn't think of anything.

So I decided to revive the old con-world project I had started years ago. Here's the old, dead forum if you're curious: http://www.sorukan.co.nr

I worked on the Sorukan Project back when I was still a member of the LDS Church, and looking back, it's amazing how much of the mythos feels pulled straight from Mormon theology -- even unintentionally. Now, I'm irked at the bland good/evil duality I set up for the gods in that old mythos, and I've been working on adapting it. I don't want to redo everything, so it's an interesting challenge to try and get the gods to do the same things for completely different reasons, and still have it be plausible.

I have gods who were originally noble survivors of an Evil Calamity turned into banished divine terrorists fulfilling the godly urge to create in secret, the noble god who wants to bring divinity to man into a being who wants to turn people into gods so he has an army to take revenge on the gods who banished his parents, and a former stereotypical Dark Lord turned into a god who opposes any more gods being created out of fear of discovery by the gods who did the banishing, and the old savior-god of the mythos being turned into a god who uses the mortals to gain enough power for him to return to the old gods' domain and escape his banishment. And then there's another god who opposes all the machinations of the above gods, not because he's "the Dark Lord REALLY pulling the strings," as he used to be, but rather an ideological zealot who believes in the purity of an empty universe and strives to reverse the expansionist creations of the banished gods, at the cost of all the created mortals.

In short, I wanted a mythos that has no one honestly working for the mortals' well-being, and no issues with people choosing to follow evil... remember the "Brotherhood of Evil Mutants" from X-Men? ;)

Here's my userpage if you want to add me as a buddy:
http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user%252F211484

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:41 pm UTC

I have failed before I started. I've just gone back and completely scrapped Remembrance in order to bring it back into line with my original vision. So there's no way I'll be ready to write by November.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:36 pm UTC

Has no-one read the NaNo rules?

It doesn't have to be good.
It doesn't have to be polished.
It doesn't have to be finished.

You just have to write.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:42 pm UTC

No, the point is I don't have a plot anymore. And I'm not going to have one until I fully digest Hope and Memory, and then go back and fit it into my mind. I can't go off and write something else because I am on the verge of just going mad with this and creating the best thing I've ever done. If, by happy chance, it all comes out before November then I am free to play with NaNo, probably doing my Captain America thing.

Jadestone

Postby Jadestone » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:22 am UTC

The best thing to write is just off a random idea, and let it go. The more plans you have, the more you'll try to stick to them instead of just letting it all flow out of you. IN some cases not even knowing what you're writing may be best. That way you don't have anything in your way as you buldoze through pages and pages trying to reach 5K.
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:42 am UTC

Or 50k. :)

Yeah, just.... write a story about xkcd. The meetup, in the year 3000. The final climactic battle between me and Amicitia.

Return to “Books”