Thing Explainer - Errata?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sjstein

Thing Explainer - Errata?

Postby sjstein » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:46 pm UTC

Is there an Errata for Thing Explainer?

My 12YO son noticed an error on page 3 - "Heavy Metal Power Building"; the arrow detailing "Hot Wet Air" is pointing to the wrong pipe. Being a good engineer and trying to be a good parent, we took the opportunity to discuss more details on the secondary water loop of this system.

To say I'm proud of him for noticing this would be an understatement.

As an aside - this book is now on my desk in my office (I work at a National research laboratory) and have already introduced it to dozens of colleagues. It is a must-give gift for any parent or someone who knows kids. What a fantastic resource!

jrobert

Re: Thing Explainer - Errata?

Postby jrobert » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:46 pm UTC

Another problem: On the "The pieces everything is made of" page the country design of the piece "Metal named after this place" is wrong side on top.
The black line should be on top.

(Only to work with the most ten hundred words is hard :P )

RayNManchester

Re: Thing Explainer - Errata?

Postby RayNManchester » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:07 pm UTC

On page 38 (about the Solar system), the two air worlds [Uranus and Neptune] are not clearly named. From the other descriptions we can figure out that Neptune is the Cold Wind World. Has anyone figured out what the name is for Uranus ? [Sadly, Pluto did not explicitly make the page, except as one of the Dark Worlds].]

On page 39, it is great fun to associate the names with the various Soviet, NASA, European and Indian Mars missions. However, it appears that the Mars Observer (comm loss before orbital insertion) and the Polar Lander (crash) did not make the list ... even though the cartooning of the Polar Lander would have been great fun. We especially liked "The Feeling of Wanting to Know Things".

This is a great book ... I am reading it long distance with my grand-kids.

Return to “Books”