Sword of Truth

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mekon

Sword of Truth

Postby mekon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:37 am UTC

Can I get a "what what!" for everyone who says that Terry Goodkind is a brilliant author and that his books actually mean something?

Wizard's First Rule is glorious. And every followup after that has been equally so. I haven't read any other books by him and I don't even know if there are any, nor do I care.

Lawlsz
-mekon

"Facts are the enemy of truth"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Sword of Truth

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:05 am UTC

I don't remember the last one I read of that series, but I read at least four of them.

They were.. okay, I suppose. I finished book 2, 3, and 4 thinking, with increased force.. "Jesus Christ does he need to get laid!"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:33 am UTC

I agree with Second Talon. They were fun up until the point where I got tired of them and gave up reading. They all follow the same basic plotline: Boy finds girl, boy loses girl and has lots of really unpleasant things happen to him, boy gets girl back but only gets a little bit farther with her this time.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:20 am UTC

I heard the first one on an audiobook and thought it was OK. I do like the actual RULE.

Then I stared reading the second and just couldn't deal with it. And then I realized that I kept getting it confused with Wheel of Time.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

VannA
White

Postby VannA » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:03 pm UTC

Sword of Truth.

Otherwise known as 'The Beginners guide to Randism'.

They are not bad, as stories.. but the last 4 books have dragged, and dragged, and dragged.
Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm UTC

IMO they've actually picked back up since Chainfire. But Pillars of creation and Naked Empire were both a drag.

Freyja
I love all peanuts, but I want THAT one.

Postby Freyja » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:09 pm UTC

I liked the first couple of books and Pillars of Creation, but i have to say that most of it is just hack crap. The man's writing style is good. It flows well and it's very entertaining, but the characters eventually grate on my nerves and everything is so damn convenient. Everyone is so clever, so perfect, so talented, etc.

So yeah, its an entertaining read, but it's nothing to rave about.
I'm so cool i shit ice cubes.

Lord Bob

Postby Lord Bob » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:20 pm UTC

The first two are amazing. I would agree that they get pretty lame in the middle, at times (excepting Faith of the Fallen, of course. It's one of my favorites). The Chainfire ones are good though, and the last and concluding one is going to rule. It comes out in a couple days :D . This is my favorite series (I should probably read more things :o)
Damn, I thought it was only surrounded by 14 mines...

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:37 pm UTC

the first two books were great and the last two books were great. the ones in the middle were slow and painful. i did read all of them though.

the last book comes out today. who's getting it?
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:54 pm UTC

I liked the first one, but then they got kind of trashy. Then again, I read them in early High School, so what do I know?
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

i like pi

Postby i like pi » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:30 pm UTC

hey, i need a grammar hammer for my book
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

Lord Bob

Postby Lord Bob » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:29 pm UTC

LDJosh wrote:the first two books were great and the last two books were great. the ones in the middle were slow and painful. i did read all of them though.

the last book comes out today. who's getting it?

I got it the day it came out :D

btilly

Postby btilly » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:23 am UTC

The first book was decent. It went downhill quickly from there. I stopped reading it after Pillars.

I hate authors who try to force their views (political, religious, or whatever) down my throat. And that is what this series started trying to do, big time.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

Lord Bob

Postby Lord Bob » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:17 am UTC

I thought the second was as good as, if not better, than the first book. But I agree that they did go downhill a bit from there (a lot in the case of Pillars). It's true that he slams us with a bunch of philosophy, but I think it makes the story more meaningful than if was just a regular fantasy book, whether or not you actually agree with his views.

Phjizzle

Postby Phjizzle » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:41 am UTC

For those who think SoT is "the beginning of randism".

SoT came out 4 years prior to WoW (first books, anyway) and the second came out the same year as the WoT second, albeit before Jordan. In each and every case of what I've read, the copywright dates are almost the same, but Jordan's character Rand is not the actual character. Richard is, he was the original. And yes, I hate how they both drawl on and on and on about other characters besides the main characters. books 3-8 were kinda boring, #8 being especially so. I still need to read #9 though.

btilly

Postby btilly » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:08 am UTC

Phjizzle wrote:For those who think SoT is "the beginning of randism".

SoT came out 4 years prior to WoW (first books, anyway) and the second came out the same year as the WoT second, albeit before Jordan. In each and every case of what I've read, the copywright dates are almost the same, but Jordan's character Rand is not the actual character. Richard is, he was the original. And yes, I hate how they both drawl on and on and on about other characters besides the main characters. books 3-8 were kinda boring, #8 being especially so. I still need to read #9 though.

You've obviously missed the reference.

Read some books by Ayn Rand, then get back to us on the connections between her philosophy and the political philosophy that Sword of Truth tries to push.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:14 pm UTC

the last book was incredibly preachy, and the actual ending to the story was rushed, and cheap. filled with so many plotholes and openings for him to continue milking the series if he ever wants too, with a cheapass wrap up to cover any "wait, what about this?" possibilities he forgot.

terrible, terrible way to end a series I hung on to for 12 books.
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

Infornographer
Dick-in-a-Casserole

Postby Infornographer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:51 pm UTC

I started reading the series amidst my adolescence, and I got through seven books (I think seven, I last read Pillars of Creation). Really, in retrospect, I have to say I didn't enjoy the writing so much, or even the story. Really, by the time I got around to like the fifth book, I realized that it appealed more to my desire for escapism and BDSM fetish than it did to any literary taste I had at that age.
(Formerly Gnophilist)

Pai

Postby Pai » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:59 am UTC

After the first book's second half turned out to be mostly a BDSM erotica instead of an actual fantasy story, I decided not to continue with the series.
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

Lord Bob

Postby Lord Bob » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:56 am UTC

-.-
it's not ALL like that :roll:

Pai

Postby Pai » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:43 am UTC

Lord Bob wrote:-.-
it's not ALL like that

My preferences lean towards novel with none of it, so... it was enough. :roll:
The scene of the villain eating little boy bits didn't help, either.

A book only has one chance to make a first impression. =P
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

Infornographer
Dick-in-a-Casserole

Postby Infornographer » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:19 pm UTC

Lord Bob wrote:-.-
it's not ALL like that :roll:

Indeed, but the fact that each novel has one or two instances of it doesn't exactly fare well for its credibility if it tries to assert it doesn't play up the BDSM theme. Not that I minded at that age. ;)
(Formerly Gnophilist)

Lord Bob

Postby Lord Bob » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:01 am UTC

I don't think there is very many instances, ignoring #1 of course :shock: :?:
Then again I haven't read alot of the middle books more than once...

senmoonsect

Postby senmoonsect » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:52 am UTC

Me and my cousin liked the first two, then got tired of it a lot. Pillars of Creation we both readily admit that we skipped parts of (basically most of the middle we both kind of skimmed the first few pages of chapters and then just went meh) and lets see... The Chanfire trilogy was getting good but then the ending just sucked so meh.

I still like it. He makes a good world and has a lot of cool things in it. Too preachy though and I already mentioned the end.

Basically... we're infatuated with George R R Martin now instead.

niende

Postby niende » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:30 am UTC

senmoonsect said:
"we're infatuated with George R R Martin now instead."

Who rules the planet now that RJ is gone! (or at least should.)

mikek

Postby mikek » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:01 am UTC

I was about nine or ten when I read the first one. Ouch.
everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:17 am UTC

yeah i dunno. he shoulda finishied it off with a different chapter. the last one was dumb as hell (trying to be spoilerless as possible, but come on: who wears skintight leather to their wedding?)

but it was cleverish. parts abotu the main character getting random inspiration was a little odd.. he could've had a better explaination.
but uh.. yeah. 7th book is skippable. does nothing but introduces a "main character" (ie lasted for... all of one book doing very little during it except sucking)
uhhhh fuck.

Lord Bob

Postby Lord Bob » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:23 pm UTC

We pretend that it doesn't exist. WHAT? PILLARS?! NEVER HEARD OF IT! LALALA IM NOT LISTENING!

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:38 am UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:Then I stared reading the second and just couldn't deal with it. And then I realized that I kept getting it confused with Wheel of Time.

Please don't compare this crap with Wheel of Time :(
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:59 am UTC

geh skip pillars of creation. the first 2 or even three were great.. i liked four.. but 5 had odd side plots, six was prreeacchhy, seven i'd prefer to not exist, eight was meh, and then... chainfire was actually pretty damn good.
uhhhh fuck.

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

Read 1, 2, 3, maybe 4, then read wikipedia and/or online plot summaries up through chainfire. then read the last 3 books.
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

SilentSigil

Postby SilentSigil » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

spoilered for length

Spoiler:
mekon wrote:Can I get a "what what!" for everyone who says that Terry Goodkind is a brilliant author and that his books actually mean something?

Wizard's First Rule is glorious. And every followup after that has been equally so. I haven't read any other books by him and I don't even know if there are any, nor do I care.

Lawlsz
was this a joke? too much lolcats speak makes me paranoid of our intentions
Flying Betty wrote:I agree with Second Talon. They were fun up until the point where I got tired of them and gave up reading. They all follow the same basic plotline: Boy finds girl, boy loses girl and has lots of really unpleasant things happen to him, boy gets girl back but only gets a little bit farther with her this time.
well, yeah, but the entire world was created to thread Goodkind's ideals into a story...
VannA wrote:Sword of Truth.

Otherwise known as 'The Beginners guide to Randism'.

They are not bad, as stories.. but the last 4 books have dragged, and dragged, and dragged.
btilly wrote:
Phjizzle wrote:For those who think SoT is "the beginning of randism".

You've obviously missed the reference.

Read some books by Ayn Rand, then get back to us on the connections between her philosophy and the political philosophy that Sword of Truth tries to push.

so yeah. Echoes of Rand in a fantasy worldview, basically. The writing was meh in comparison to some, with some very high points and some very low (pillars *cough*), but the fact that the entire world was a setup for similar ideals as Ayn Rand's, in a world that is more functional (though fantastic) than Rands, and that goes more in depth from a moral standpoint on several issues involving violence (which Rand had confused ideas about at best, and all negative.) makes me consider the series itself pretty highly... but then again,
btilly wrote:The first book was decent. It went downhill quickly from there. I stopped reading it after Pillars.

I hate authors who try to force their views (political, religious, or whatever) down my throat. And that is what this series started trying to do, big time.
If you don't like having things handed to you in this format, I can see how you migh not like it.

It sits pretty highly on my list, and I finished the last book not too long ago...

As for the Wheel of Time... I think that simply reading that series and getting to know the characters somewhat takes too much time out of one's life at this point. I got to book eight when he was still writing, and I had to brain-dump it and move on because there was no way I was getting any further involved. Waiting 6-8 months, I would have to reread the entire series, and I wasn't up to the punishment.

Comparing a series of books meant to express idealistic virtues through fantasy storytelling to a series that is epic fantasy storytelling for the sake of epic fantasy storytelling doesn't really make sense to me, though...it seems more of a silly little pissing contest between readers, to me.
*edit* didn't / my spoiler
If I say that this is left purposely blank, then the statement contradicts the reality, which is that the sig space was not left blank, but had the words 'This space left purposely blank' in it.

Snoof

Postby Snoof » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

l33t_sas wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:Then I stared reading the second and just couldn't deal with it. And then I realized that I kept getting it confused with Wheel of Time.

Agreed. Wheel of Time is an entirely different flavour of crap.
If I had a signature, you wouldn't be reading this.

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

You know, I decided a few months ago to reread the series, because hey, I used to like it.

I got through Pillars of Creation, couldn't find a copy of Naked Empire, gave up, and haven't really missed it.

Seriously, even if I liked Goodkind's work a lot, the man himself is positively abrasive. Except a word that is more abrasive than abrasive.
A silver spoon and a packet of sugar cubes are the artifacts of the ritual: the vajrakaliya, the cross, the blood of the lamb....
-The Amber Key

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:44 pm UTC

Snoof wrote:
l33t_sas wrote:

Agreed. Wheel of Time is an entirely different flavour of crap.

I disagree. For all its (many) flaws, Wheel of Time is still fun to read. Sword of Truth is boring, long-winded, highly derivative and preachy. I don't care if all the women in WoT are the same or how often Nynaeve tugs her braid. It still has a great plot and a very exciting and developed world. I can see how one could not like it though. Especially if you're a prose purist.
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

Return to “Books”