A Song of Ice and Fire

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Yakk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:01 pm UTC

So is this the right place to discuss information about new things in the TV show that don't match, or reveal things that the books do not?

Or over there?
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:35 pm UTC

I think the general consensus is to do that over there... although its hard to be sure. With the way the two mediums interact where things in the show are either changing, adding or possibly spoiling future book plot and to do so without spoiling future show plot which the books do have is difficult. I guess just be really specific with spoiler tags and thats the only way your going to avoid upsetting someone.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:36 am UTC

It depends on the discussion. Provided it stays about the show's relation to the books and details of the adaptation, the consensus seems to be to put it in the other thread with carefully labelled spoilers. If it changes to pure book to discussion or swamps the tv discussion, show-watchers may get annoyed and it may be better to move it here (potentially with labelled spoilers).
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:49 am UTC

I'm staying out of the other thread entirely. It looks like they're discussing spoilers from the leaked episodes, and I really want to avoid those.
Exit the vampires' castle.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:45 pm UTC

Spoiler:
The plans of the spider are not 1-dimensional. I don't think he was backing just one person for the throne. All parties had their places and were manipulated equally. Having multiple factions succeed that owed him or at least valued him was not a deterrent.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:34 pm UTC

Since the show is now diverging heavily from the books, can we not talk about the show in here, ever, so I stop getting reports about unlabeled show spoilers from people who want to watch it at a later time?

Do that here
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:50 am UTC

So I just bought the new combined Dunk and Egg book, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, as well as volume 1 of Dangerous Women, which contains The Princess and the Queen. I haven't read them yet, but I've heard they're good.
Exit the vampires' castle.

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:43 am UTC

I bought the short story collections basically to get the Dunk and Egg stories but I enjoyed all of them. Dunk and Egg weren't really my favorite story in any of those books but they were among the most enjoyable. The Princess and the Queen I didn't particularly like though. It read too much like a poorly written history book.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

Return to “Books”