A Song of Ice and Fire

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Re: Ice and Fire?

Postby mosc » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:30 pm UTC

the link I gave has the only information given in the past 7 months. If I were guessing, I would say it will be out in early 2009.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

souldelay

Postby souldelay » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:11 pm UTC

Make it come out faster.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:13 am UTC

souldelay wrote:Make it come out faster.

"Come on now George, just give it one last push! Theeeerrree you go! That wasn't so hard, was it?"
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Not Bernard

Postby Not Bernard » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

pollywog wrote:
souldelay wrote:Make it come out faster.

"Come on now George, just give it one last push! Theeeerrree you go! That wasn't so hard, was it?"

Now there's an image I could have done without...

By the way, has anyone out there read the Tales of Dunk and Egg novellas? I rather enjoyed them, nice tales which give some additional flavour to the Ice and Fire world.

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:33 am UTC

*GASP!!* I just had an awful awful thought! GRRM is getting... well... kind of old-ish, isn't he? He's got a big white beard and everything. Well... If he takes this long or longer to write each of the rest of the books in the series, isn't there a decent chance he might stroke out or have a heart attack or become senile before he finishes them all??
Fish cannot carry guns.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:52 am UTC

pooteeweet wrote:*GASP!!* I just had an awful awful thought! GRRM is getting... well... kind of old-ish, isn't he? He's got a big white beard and everything. Well... If he takes this long or longer to write each of the rest of the books in the series, isn't there a decent chance he might stroke out or have a heart attack or become senile before he finishes them all??

No. No, I won't stand for it. That's right, I'm going to stand up to mortality itself and tell it to fuck off and let him write.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:08 am UTC

He'll be turning sixty in September. That's not so bad, now.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:03 am UTC

Yeah, sixty isn't too old... but according to Wikipedia the series was begun in 1991; and each book took, in order, 4, 2, 2, and 5 years to complete. The next book is looking like a 4-year project (unless it takes even longer). If ADWD's publication gets pushed further and further back for a while, and the next two books take 5 years apiece, he'll be over seventy by the time it's done.

Well, shit! Let's not think about that anymore. Let's not worry about when ADWD will come out, either. It's sort of like how Christmas is always the most exciting and wonderful just before it actually happens--we should be happy that this lovely anticipatory stage is being drawn out indefinitely. I guess.
Fish cannot carry guns.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:35 am UTC

While it would be a horrible tragedy, at least we could get closure by forcing Brandon Sanderson to finish the series.

Whether he likes it or not.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

I hope he at least has an outline of the rest stored in a fireproof safe or something...
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:32 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
pooteeweet wrote:*GASP!!* I just had an awful awful thought! GRRM is getting... well... kind of old-ish, isn't he? He's got a big white beard and everything. Well... If he takes this long or longer to write each of the rest of the books in the series, isn't there a decent chance he might stroke out or have a heart attack or become senile before he finishes them all??

No. No, I won't stand for it. That's right, I'm going to stand up to mortality itself and tell it to fuck off and let him write.

but why o why didn't mortality fuck off regarding Robert Jordan?

now i'll admit, Ice and Fire is wayyyyyyyyy WAYYYYY better than wheel of time, but the nerve of mortality and god to kill the man before his 15+-year 12 part series finished...

but I'll join you in your quest to end mortality for the purpose of song and fire to continue. cause if he dies I'll kill myself and murder god.
uhhhh fuck.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I hope he at least has an outline of the rest stored in a fireproof safe or something...

Ideally it's iceandfireproof.

(Sorry, it had to be said.)

Well. You heard him.

btilly

Postby btilly » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:

but why o why didn't mortality fuck off regarding Robert Jordan?

now i'll admit, Ice and Fire is wayyyyyyyyy WAYYYYY better than wheel of time, but the nerve of mortality and god to kill the man before his 15+-year 12 part series finished...

Hey, it was a foregone conclusion that Wheel of Time was never going to finish when he started bringing back the bad guys, and spent books shuffling people with no real progress. Jordan was on a gravy train, and decided to milk it to his death.

By contrast Ice and Fire has a fairly well-defined story arc, and is making progress towards it. Unfortunately GRRM keeps on adding new PoV characters, so he's slowing down. But that looks more like, "Wow, I've got a neat world I want to explore!" instead of, "Wow, how can I milk this phenomena for the rest of my life?"
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:23 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:but why o why didn't mortality fuck off regarding Robert Jordan?
Because Mortality has taste.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:20 am UTC

I really need to re-read the series... I think I kind of zoned out after

Spoiler:
the wedding massacre at the Twins when, like, EVERYONE died... I was so very unhappy about that, that I think I sort of subconsciously made myself not care about any of the characters after that. So now I have a hard time recalling some of the specifics of the plotlines from that point on. That whole turn of events still really pisses me off.
Fish cannot carry guns.

Guy_At_A_Keyboard
Location: The Herakleon Museum, if my avatar is to be believed

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:13 pm UTC

I was just thinking that it's a great testament to GRRM's skill as an author that Sansa became so sympathetic. At first, I expected her to be a foil to Arya throughout the series, displaying the emptiness and meaninglessness of the ideals behind being 'a lady' in Westerosi society. I was fully prepared to hate her, and for much of the first book, I really did. By the second book, though, I just wanted her away from that little shit Joffrey any way possible. Her naivete became an element of tragedy that made me feel for her even more, rather than the abrasive that it was in the first book.

(Arya's still my favorite Stark, though)

an_englishman

Postby an_englishman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:21 pm UTC

A thought that I've had that I haven't seen come up elsewhere...

(don't click on the spoiler unless you've read A Feast for Crows)

Spoiler:
This concerns Jeyne Westerling's hips. In A Storm Of Swords, Catelyn twice describes her as having "good hips". Yet, when Riverrun falls to the Lannisters, and she's introduced to Jaime, she's described as "narrow-hipped". This suggests to me that the Jeyne who was handed over to the Lannisters is a double (like the "Arya Stark" who is married off to the Bastard of Bolton), and the real Jeyne is on the run (possibly with the Blackfish) aand, perhaps, pregnant with an heir to the North.

Guy_At_A_Keyboard

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:02 pm UTC

an_englishman wrote:A thought that I've had that I haven't seen come up elsewhere...

Spoiler:
This concerns Jeyne Westerling's hips. In A Storm Of Swords, Catelyn twice describes her as having "good hips". Yet, when Riverrun falls to the Lannisters, and she's introduced to Jaime, she's described as "narrow-hipped". This suggests to me that the Jeyne who was handed over to the Lannisters is a double (like the "Arya Stark" who is married off to the Bastard of Bolton), and the real Jeyne is on the run (possibly with the Blackfish) aand, perhaps, pregnant with an heir to the North.

Spoiler:
I would never have thought of that. Way to read for detail.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

an_englishman wrote:A thought that I've had that I haven't seen come up elsewhere...

Spoiler:

With two posts, and noticing something like that, I think you now have the highest respect/post count from me.

Except xkcd of course.

Well. You heard him.

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:53 am UTC

WOAH!! :shock:
Fish cannot carry guns.

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

I still think it's rikkin (sp) who ends up with it but whatever. It's a nice catch!

raygun

Postby raygun » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

Hello,
I'm sort of new to these forums. I have recently read a Game of Throne and it was fantastic! I have read that Martin's writing style is helping to pioneer a new sub-genre of fantasy. From the wikipedia entry on A Song of Ice and Fire: "This has led to the series being cited as a forerunner of a 'gritty' new wave of epic fantasy authors that followed, including Scott Lynch[7], Joe Abercrombie[8], Steven Erikson and Scott Bakker."
Can anyone recommend these authors as well? Or perhaps a novel/collection of novels that epitomizes this "gritty new wave".
Thanks.

notyouravgjoel

Postby notyouravgjoel » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:04 pm UTC

I remember reading somewhere recently that amazon had the next book listed for sept 08 -- which is now. Anyone know anything about this? I cant seem to find it on amazon.

raygun

Postby raygun » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

i just borrowed the second book in the series last night. i can't wait to get started. is it just me, or does anyone else here feel like they need to block off an entire week just to read these?

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:36 am UTC

There was a September 2008 date bandied about at the start of the year. But this is GRRM... Wiki says April 2009 at this point. Expect that to be revised also. That way if it ever does get finished, you can be pleasantly surprised :wink:
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

ironypoisoning

Postby ironypoisoning » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:02 pm UTC

raygun wrote:i just borrowed the second book in the series last night. i can't wait to get started. is it just me, or does anyone else here feel like they need to block off an entire week just to read these?

I think I discovered these books during a vacation, which was the best thing ever... but it also meant that I raced through them too quickly. Now I don't really want to reread them because of all the unpleasant things that happened to my goddamned favorite characters... he kills off too many people, even if there's a cast of thousands. Grumble.
"Gerry, I'm a woman! We don't say what we WANT! But we reserve the right to get pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating! And not a little bit scary." - Lydia, Sliding Doors (1998)

Guy_At_A_Keyboard

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

raygun wrote:Hello,
I'm sort of new to these forums. I have recently read a Game of Throne and it was fantastic! I have read that Martin's writing style is helping to pioneer a new sub-genre of fantasy. From the wikipedia entry on A Song of Ice and Fire: "This has led to the series being cited as a forerunner of a 'gritty' new wave of epic fantasy authors that followed, including Scott Lynch[7], Joe Abercrombie[8], Steven Erikson and Scott Bakker."
Can anyone recommend these authors as well? Or perhaps a novel/collection of novels that epitomizes this "gritty new wave".
Thanks.

I can absoulutely reccommend Scott Lynch. I haven't read Joe Abercrombie, and don't much care for Erkson's very low-exposition style. I will give you fair warning about Scott Bakker, though. His books (the ones released to date, anyway), are as much tracts about the fact that free will is a myth as they are gritty fantasy novels. Then again, I prefer meta-myth like Neil Gaiman's work to 'grittiness.'

btilly

Postby btilly » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:47 am UTC

Guy_At_A_Keyboard wrote:
raygun wrote:Hello,
Thanks.

I can absoulutely reccommend Scott Lynch. I haven't read Joe Abercrombie, and don't much care for Erkson's very low-exposition style. I will give you fair warning about Scott Bakker, though. His books (the ones released to date, anyway), are as much tracts about the fact that free will is a myth as they are gritty fantasy novels. Then again, I prefer meta-myth like Neil Gaiman's work to 'grittiness.'

Heh, low exposition is one way to describe Erikson. He just throws you into the world and you're supposed to figure out how it works eventually. He also has lots of characters and very long books - don't get involved unless you read fast and/or have a lot of time to kill. That said, I personally like him a lot. However after a while his attempts to routinely convey vast age get repetitive.

Glen Cook is another interesting author. He ranges all over the map stylistically. For instance the Garrett books are detective novels. However his Black Company, Dread Empire and Instrumentalities series (the last is currently at 2 books and needs more) have reasonably complex worlds with lots of stuff going on, and a realistic gritty feel. I find most of his stuff enjoyable, if in different ways.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

Dazmilar

Postby Dazmilar » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:23 pm UTC

I also recommend Erikson. If the biggest draw for you to Song of Ice and Fire is the political intrigue, then you might find Malazan Book of the Fallen a bit lacking, but the scope of the work is epic and vast. I enjoy the fact that the history of the books spans hundreds of thousands of years, and I find Erikson to be very good in developing the cultures of his different races. As oppose to other fantasy series where you have, "Hey, these are short greedy humans, these are tall, smart pointy-eared humans," etc.

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

As I have linked to before, if you want an accurate description of what's going on, go to this website:
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

Here is the source of all these September rumors:
"This summer I am scheduled to travel to Spain to speak at Semana Negra in Gijon, make some appearances in Madrid and Barcelona, and then head over to Portugal to visit with my publishers and readers there. I want to have A DANCE WITH DRAGONS done and delivered before I leave. If that happens, the book will likely be published in the fall of 2008 in the U.S"
-G.R.R. Martin 1/1/08

Anything that claims to have more info than that on the release date of ADWD is lieing. Yes it hasn't been updated in 9 months. No, there is no other accurate site for information on this.

Rysto

Postby Rysto » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

I'm a huge fan of Steven Erikson -- he's in competition with GRRM as my favourite author. I think Erikson has the edge right now by virtue of having published 3 books since GRRM published AFFC.

Edit: Oh, and I don't recommend R. Scott Bakker. I forced myself to get through the trilogy because he had actually create quite a cool world, but his writing frankly creeped me out and there's no payoff at all at the end of the trilogy.

natraj

Postby natraj » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:50 am UTC

Necro'ing because I have just finally finished AFFC and omgomgomgomg.

I totally fell in love with this series from the first book, and despite being sort of sad that lots of my favourite characters were either scarce or entirely absent in the fourth, I still loved it. Even if he keeps my heart in my mouth all the time just waiting for the next person to die.

I sort of love Jamie these days. And want more of all the Starks. Except Sansa. Although back in the early books I kept having to remind myself, every time I thought how obnoxious she was, that she's actually really young. I don't know many people who are the picture of maturity and wisdom at 12/13 years old either.

But ahhhh I want the next book now.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

Convenient necro!

My wife and I were just discussing this series a few days ago. I love the series, she likes the story but hates the books. Basically she finds the constant POV switches too confusing to follow. I admit that I was occasionally very confused as well, but I got into it eventually. The funny thing is that she basically knows the entire story just from me recounting it. ^_^

I was lucky enough to discover the series soon after AFFC was published, so I got to read four of them quickly, but now have to wait with baited breath for the next one.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

Well.. given how little the North, the Other Continent, and the Kingdom(s) interact, it should be possible to read the story in a slightly disjointed sort of way - ie Pick a character, just read their parts until you get to the end of the book, start over and pick a different character, repeat until the book is finished.

Might work, at least...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:16 pm UTC

It's true that reading, say, Daenerys, and probably Jon, and a few others, wouldn't spoil other plots for you. But most locations have more than one POV character. If you happen to read Arya before Eddard in book one, there will be no suspense to Eddard's storyline at all. Plus there will definitely be references to and conversations about and actions based upon things that happen to other characters, even in faraway lands, which the text will assume you already know from other POVs. I don't think it will make it any less confusing.

: (

The books are so good; I want DwD. But if it's too much work to keep track of the way it was written, it's probably too much work read out of order.

Although you could do what I did with my mother when she read Lord of the Rings for the first time: just be available to answer questions and clear up confusion.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Grop

Postby Grop » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:23 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Well.. given how little the North, the Other Continent, and the Kingdom(s) interact, it should be possible to read the story in a slightly disjointed sort of way - ie Pick a character, just read their parts until you get to the end of the book, start over and pick a different character, repeat until the book is finished.

This is how Tolkien would have written it... I highly prefer Martin's solution.

Flabbicus

Postby Flabbicus » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:13 am UTC

Has anyone else been scouring the interwebs for the A Dance of Dragons preview chapters?

Here are the links if you've missed them:
Spoiler:
1. Tyrion
2. Reek
3. Jon Snow

And now, my thoughts on these:
[spoiler]
1. Damn! That's awesome! Tyrion's encounter with Shae and Tywin seems to have soured him... a lot.
2. Poor Theon... Considering I like the Greyjoys this is all the worse. Even people who hate Theon should see how brutal the Boltons are comparatively.
3. Dammit Jon! Let her tell you their names! Which of Jon's friends/allies could betray him? I guess this takes place before Sam is sent off to Oldtown?

I have started rereading the series, only for the second time, but knowing how many of the story's plots pan out makes me appreciate GRRM's writing all the more. Every minor character feels alive and I have the impression that they all have well-fleshed out back stories. I'm only two hundred pages in to A Clash of Kings but it is still good to refresh my memories on many of the books events.

Blaze Krakaros

Postby Blaze Krakaros » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

I really couldn't get into AFFC like the rest, but it was made up for with the
Spoiler:
Prince Doran: FIRE AND BLOOD!
and
Spoiler:
That bitch Cersei getting what she deserves

in the end.
The only characters I cared about were Jaime, Arya
Spoiler:
who I actually called as becoming an assassin almost upon introduction, though I don't claim to know how I did that beyond having read way too many books
, and Littlefinger. Towards the end of the series there needs to be a POV chapter from his perspective where we find out what's really been going on the whole time. :D The good part is that ADWD will be entirely about characters I care about.

sm_usagi

Postby sm_usagi » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:24 pm UTC

LOL, I got all excited that there had been an update on his website or something when I saw this thread had been bumped! :lol:

novax6

Postby novax6 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am UTC

Can't wait for the new one. Is there an update on the release date for it? or is it still just whenever he's done?

Return to “Books”