A Song of Ice and Fire

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

velkito
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:53 am UTC

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby velkito » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:31 am UTC

Hey folks,

for those of us who can't wait for book 6, but want to get some ASOIAF reading fix, I'd like to recommend the following story:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7780036/1/T ... -Remembers

Yes, I know it's fanfiction, but trust me, it's so good that, imho GRRM would approve of it, were he to read it some day. It attempts to finish the series, and while it is still ongoing, its 500k+ words would keep you hooked for a good few weeks.

Enjoy! :)

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4370
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

GRRM has stated on several occasions that he doesn't approve of any fanfiction of his works, and thinks that fanfiction in general is detrimental to aspiring authors.

User avatar
Adam H
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Adam H » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

Yeah well GRRM is an ass. A genius, but an ass.

Thanks for sharing that fanfic. I skipped around just to get an idea of what happens, and I like the Jon/Bran storylines a lot. :)
-Adam

velkito
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:53 am UTC

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby velkito » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

He doesn't approve of fanfiction of his works, because the characters are doing all sorts of outlandish things, just to get a more wildly inappropriate and impossible pairing (at least that's my theory). The characters in this fanfic are doing nothing of the sort. He can't really frown at fanfiction with his books coming out every 5 years..

Most chapters in this work start scenically, whether through scenery, or through descriptions of the thoughts/previous actions of a character, gradually build up the suspense and end with a bang of sorts. The further I get in a chapter, the more invested I'm feeling in reading it. If these are not signs of good writing, I don't know what is. I hope you like it, I sure did :)

User avatar
ameretrifle
Vera
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:32 am UTC
Location: Canada (the flat bit)

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby ameretrifle » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

Well, that's a nice theory, but it conflicts a little bit with what he's actually said, so.

I mean, I disagree with his stance on several grounds, I haven't read the fic, I haven't even read the books, but let's present his opinion fairly. He's not just against bad fanfiction. He's against fanfiction. Absolutely anything that involves his characters/setting that he doesn't have explicit veto power on. Good, bad, or indifferent. He thinks it's legally dubious and emotionally hurtful and even a bad and lazy writing habit. And I understand how that sucks if you like fanfiction and you like him, but you grow up and sometimes you learn your favorite author has opinions you disagree with. It's not a pleasant thing to learn, but it's going to keep happening. Just, going from my personal experience here.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 10119
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:GRRM has stated on several occasions that he doesn't approve of any fanfiction of his works, and thinks that fanfiction in general is detrimental to aspiring authors.


I can kind of see his point, given the quality of most fan fiction.

Now, I also agree that he's kind of an ass, and I don't think that fan fiction should be legally questionable...but from the standpoint of developing as an author, yeah, using other people's work as a basis isn't exactly the same as crafting your own work from scratch. It shouldn't mean you're a bad person for writing a fanfic, just...yknow, be aware that if you want to be an actual author, that probably won't do it.

And yes, I'm aware of 50 shades of gray. Not really a case for success, IMO.

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4370
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:03 am UTC

Realistically, if you're good enough that you can put together a really good, interesting story, and are a dedicated enough to be willing to put in the effort to write 500k+ words, fanfiction is probably a waste of your talents. A typical novel is 80k words--if the author of this fanfiction is really any good, he or she could have written five or six novels of their own creation that they might actually be able to receive real credit for. For hobbyists or the purposes of Rule 34, fanfiction fits a certain niche quite well, I guess.

For GRRM and this piece of work specifically, I think that ameretrifle has summed it up pretty well:

ameretrifle wrote:[L]et's present his opinion fairly. He's not just against bad fanfiction. He's against fanfiction. Absolutely anything that involves his characters/setting that he doesn't have explicit veto power on. Good, bad, or indifferent. He thinks it's legally dubious and emotionally hurtful and even a bad and lazy writing habit. And I understand how that sucks if you like fanfiction and you like him, but you grow up and sometimes you learn your favorite author has opinions you disagree with. It's not a pleasant thing to learn, but it's going to keep happening. Just, going from my personal experience here.

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Game of Thrones: The TV Show (novelisation coming soon)

Postby Adacore » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:55 am UTC

roband wrote:Future/existing book spoilers:
Spoiler:
In the books I'm pretty sure she killed "the tickler" in the tavern. Because when I saw the TV ep, I was expecting her to say "where's the gold? Where's the silver? Where's Beric Dondarrion?" rather than the mimicking that she DID do.

Spoiler:
Yeah, that's right. I remember some discussion when the Tickler was killed earlier in the show about whether that meant we weren't getting the Arya/Hound tavern scenes. I doubt they'll have too much trouble furnishing Arya with undesirable Lannisters to dispose of, if and when the plot demands, even if they do kill them off in a different order than the books.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Game of Thrones: The TV Show (novelisation coming soon)

Postby roband » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:02 am UTC

Adacore wrote:
roband wrote:Future/existing book spoilers:
Spoiler:
In the books I'm pretty sure she killed "the tickler" in the tavern. Because when I saw the TV ep, I was expecting her to say "where's the gold? Where's the silver? Where's Beric Dondarrion?" rather than the mimicking that she DID do.

Spoiler:
Yeah, that's right. I remember some discussion when the Tickler was killed earlier in the show about whether that meant we weren't getting the Arya/Hound tavern scenes. I doubt they'll have too much trouble furnishing Arya with undesirable Lannisters to dispose of, if and when the plot demands, even if they do kill them off in a different order than the books.

Leaked chapters spoiler:
Spoiler:
And that leaked chapter "Mercy" was sublime, have you read it? The way she switches from Mercy to Arya makes me SO FUCKING EXCITED for the badass she's becoming.
I really hope she gets a crack at some other names on her list. Fuck valonqars, I want her to kill Cersei.

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Game of Thrones: The TV Show (novelisation coming soon)

Postby Adacore » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:16 am UTC

Yeah, I read that chapter, although I instantly regretted it, because I immediately wanted to keep reading, and the book won't be out for at least another year. It wasn't exactly 'leaked', though, it's just a preview - GRRM published it on his official site.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Game of Thrones: The TV Show (novelisation coming soon)

Postby roband » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:20 am UTC

Yeah, I was looking for a single word which expressed that. Leaked was the closest I got.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Posts: 3663
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:12 pm UTC
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Game of Thrones: The TV Show (Book Jabbering)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:58 am UTC

roband wrote:Leaked chapters spoiler:
Spoiler:
And that leaked chapter "Mercy" was sublime, have you read it? The way she switches from Mercy to Arya makes me SO FUCKING EXCITED for the badass she's becoming.
I really hope she gets a crack at some other names on her list. Fuck valonqars, I want her to kill Cersei.

Continued spoiler for TWOW:
Spoiler:
By badass, I hope you mean psychopath. The general audience infatuation with Arya bothers me that people don't understand that shes becoming more evil as the series progresses. In a sense, she's the same revenge hate machines that is Lady Stoneheart, without actually having died.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.


Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Game of Thrones: The TV Show (novelisation coming soon)

Postby roband » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:01 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
roband wrote:Leaked chapters spoiler:
Spoiler:
And that leaked chapter "Mercy" was sublime, have you read it? The way she switches from Mercy to Arya makes me SO FUCKING EXCITED for the badass she's becoming.
I really hope she gets a crack at some other names on her list. Fuck valonqars, I want her to kill Cersei.

Continued spoiler for TWOW:
Spoiler:
By badass, I hope you mean psychopath. The general audience infatuation with Arya bothers me that people don't understand that shes becoming more evil as the series progresses. In a sense, she's the same revenge hate machines that is Lady Stoneheart, without actually having died.

Future book spoilers still:
Spoiler:
I think "revenge" and "evil" are very much two different things. Plus, if she becomes a Faceless Man, she's an assassin. Do they do it because they're evil or because they're good at it? I don't see her becoming "evil" in a murderous rampage kinda way. I see her killing those on her list and then either stopping, or continuing as a paid assassin because she's good at it by then (and doesn't have anywhere else to go).

Evil/psychopathy doesn't come into it, for me.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Posts: 3663
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:12 pm UTC
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Re: Game of Thrones: The TV Show (novelisation coming soon)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:16 pm UTC

roband wrote: paid assassin

I don't generally view hitmen in a good light.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.


Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11045
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Game of Thrones: The TV Show (novelisation coming soon)

Postby Yakk » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:34 pm UTC

Bran will be interesting because
Spoiler:
he can be used to show the backstory scenes we have been missing, like the tower of tears and blood
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Game of Thrones: The TV Show (novelisation coming soon)

Postby roband » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:08 pm UTC

You might wanna label that as ALL books (including future).

edit: And remove the character name from outside the spoiler.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 25610
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:59 pm UTC

Moved crap from the TV Show thread to here.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby roband » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:41 pm UTC

Bleh, because comparing the two is allowed, but discussing it is not.

Or do the books trump the TV show because they were first? What about if the TV show overtakes the books? What about people who are watching the TV show but plan to read the books at some point?

Well labelled spoilers and using your brain when reading them avoid all the above issues. Common sense? Too much to ask, I suppose, from most.

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4370
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:56 pm UTC

Realistically, it might make the most sense to split the TV show thread into Spoiler/Nonspoiler versions. I've seen an awful lot of other places do that with this show.

User avatar
Adam H
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Adam H » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:43 pm UTC

If the content refers to both the book and the tv show, then use the "who would this spoiler piss off the least" heuristic to determine where to post it.

Regarding Arya:
Spoiler:
Evil has very little meaning in aSoIaF. Arya is an anti-hero. You are allowed to root for anti-heroes.

It's like watching a dog be beaten for years before it turns on its master and bites the shit out of him. That's the high point of the dog's life from a spectator's perspective. Unfortunately, the dog now attacks everyone, so it is "evil". Are we not supposed to sympathize with that dog?
-Adam

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11045
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Game of Thrones: The TV Show (novelisation coming soon)

Postby Yakk » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:27 am UTC

roband wrote:You might wanna label that as ALL books (including future).

edit: And remove the character name from outside the spoiler.

I wrote it in context in another thread, in response to a post in the TV thread. The level of spoiler was clear there, and it was talking about how the character in the plotline on the TV show being talked about would generate interesting content going forward, based off the differences between the TV show and the books prior to the point in the plotline.

In this thread, the post makes absolutely no sense.

If you have the power, delete that post, because I cannot.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Game of Thrones: The TV Show (novelisation coming soon)

Postby Adacore » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:46 am UTC

Yakk wrote:If you have the power, delete that post, because I cannot.

You could edit the post to make this clearer?

Continued Bran discussion:
Spoiler:
I hadn't really thought extensively how he can be used to do significant flashback-type scenes to fill in the backstory. That makes me significantly more interested in his storyline going forward. Bran chapters went from some of my favourites to things I was entirely unexcited about reading between GoT and ADwD, but I think things were beginning to pick up in the books, and the show could probably make them much more involving.

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11045
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Yakk » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:48 am UTC

Naw, talking about the TV show in this thread is off topic.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 25610
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:59 pm UTC

roband wrote:Bleh, because comparing the two is allowed, but discussing it is not.

Or do the books trump the TV show because they were first? What about if the TV show overtakes the books? What about people who are watching the TV show but plan to read the books at some point?

Well labelled spoilers and using your brain when reading them avoid all the above issues. Common sense? Too much to ask, I suppose, from most.
Given how problematic it is, I'm half-seriously considering banning the entire thing outright, or requesting it get it's own goddamn subforum because seriously, is staying on fucking topic too goddamn hard for you people?

Is it text-onna-page? Talk about it here.

Is it movin'-pictures-onna-screen? Talk about it in the other thread.

Did they do something different on one than they did in the other? I guess you'd talk about it in the TV thread as that's where it'd be different. But there's no reason to continue the conversation beyond "Oh, weird, Smashburger killed Dopenmeier at the Battle of Flan, but the show has him killing him two fights earlier, at the Quiznos Conflict. Wonder why?"


I'm really considering just mashing both threads together, setting the entire thing on fire, and letting it sink in the swamp.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby roband » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:15 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:But there's no reason to continue the conversation beyond...
Is there not? I mean conversations morph, that's what happens...
I'm really considering just mashing both threads together, setting the entire thing on fire, and letting it sink in the swamp.

At which point we'd rely on well labelled spoilers and I'd be happy. Okay.

User avatar
Adam H
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Adam H » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:29 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Did they do something different on one than they did in the other? I guess you'd talk about it in the TV thread as that's where it'd be different. But there's no reason to continue the conversation beyond "Oh, weird, Smashburger killed Dopenmeier at the Battle of Flan, but the show has him killing him two fights earlier, at the Quiznos Conflict. Wonder why?"

I think comparing the two is really interesting. But it belongs in the book thread, because book readers can read show spoilers but show watchers can't read book spoilers*. I don't consider GRRM's version the one-true-canon because he's an asshole and I hate him and GoT is just as good as aSoIaF (only semi-joking). So maybe the books differ from the TV show and not the other way around.

*Until the show overtakes the books. GoT will run for no more than 7-8 seasons, so unless GRRM gets two books out in 4 years (lololololol), soon we'll have book readers plugging their ears and covering their eyes and shouting lalalalala can't hear you. :lol:
-Adam

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby roband » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:31 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:because book readers can read show spoilers

I disagree.

I have a couple of people who are choosing to read before watching the show. But they reading in stops and starts. Spoilers won't be good for them.

User avatar
Adam H
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Adam H » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:33 pm UTC

roband wrote:
Adam H wrote:because book readers can read show spoilers

I disagree.

I have a couple of people who are choosing to read before watching the show. But they reading in stops and starts. Spoilers won't be good for them.
In that case book readers can't even read book spoilers. If you can read book spoilers, you can read show spoilers, is all I'm saying. But not necessarily the other way around.
-Adam

User avatar
eSOANEM
:D
Posts: 3573
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:29 pm UTC

I seem to remember a discussion in one of these two threads about possible mechanisms for the seasons of westeros. Well, sixty symbols have done a video about it.

6 minute version
16 minute version
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.
Posts: 5369
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby mosc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:30 pm UTC

I think I summarized most of that in our other thread. I think the main idea that this video passes over is that seasons could vary in entirely predictable ways but the complete cycle would take lifetimes to observe and thus be viewed without careful record keepings as unpredictable. In other words if you combine several predictable factors like a larger wobble (need a bigger moon), a more eliptical orbit, and a varying solar activity cycle you can get overlaps of all three being cold and warm that are hundreds of years apart. For example:

The main summer-winter yearly cycle is driven by the elliptical orbit
A secondary cycle of changes in wobble happens over a 1001 year variance
a solar activity cycle changes ever 23 years.
Tidal pull from a nearby gas giant changes water currents on a 4 year orbital resonance cycle

These are all phenomenons that happen in our solar system. Our sun is very stable but does have an 11 year electromagnetic disturbance (sunspot) cycle. There are several known orbital resonance interactions including between pluto and neptune which is particularly relevant here as a smaller elliptically orbiting planet and a gas giant. Our wobble changes fairly slowly over about 26,000 years but with a larger moon perhaps not yet completely tidally locked this could be substantially faster and more substantial.

The full period of this process is quite extreme. 1001x23x4= 92,092 years. Certainly only perceivable as chaotic in the world. In shorter timeframes though, patterns would immerge. THe 4 year orbital resonance cycle would give patterns of warmer and colder years, a super-season. Adding in changes in solar activity and a longer 23x4=92 year cycle is barely in memory of the locals. A gradual change towards worsening winters across that 92 year cycle and back adds an even more chaotic feel. A once in 1,000 year or once in 10,000 year occurance with that 92 year cycle on top of the larger axial tilt would make for an even more spectacular single multi-year winter.

EDIT: the main issue I have with all this is that I'm not sure GRRM understands what it's like in extreme cold environments. The ground is frozen but precipitation is non-existent. Things have to warm up in our own arctic for it to snow. During an acrtic winter, the air is too cold to hold moisture and the skies will be clear and crisp. The pounding of snow he gives the seemingly arctic north near the wall does not fit with a reasonable weather cycle. Spiraling the north into a short-term ice age would mean no snow.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

User avatar
Adam H
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Adam H » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:20 pm UTC

There was a minor digression in the show thread about who you want to die in book 6 and beyond:
Spoiler:
Doran Martell! He's boring. Sure I guess he's sly, whatever. But wouldn't his death result in so much fun chaos? There are many more interesting characters in Dorne that would become even more interesting if doran died.

Also, Aegon. I don't hate him, but I also don't like him. I don't feel anything for him. So I don't want him to become a major player, and the only way that doesn't happen is if he's dead.

I would have said Cersei, but I love her in the show. Of course, book 4 is when she really starts getting annoying, so we'll see how I feel.

I also think it would be interesting if blood raven died before bran finished training.
-Adam

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 8661
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:04 pm UTC

Actually it was for season 5+. While us readers know who vaguely who will/won't die for a short time anyway, it's still interesting to note what people want. And deaths CAN be moved sooner, so someone that was going to die in Winds of Winter could buy it in season 5. Some people alive in the books aren't alive in the show, after all.

Book 4
Spoiler:
Cersei gets spiritually neutered by the end. She is effectively dead anyway.

User avatar
Adam H
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Adam H » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:10 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Actually it was for season 5+. While us readers know who vaguely who will/won't die for a short time anyway, it's still interesting to note what people want. And deaths CAN be moved sooner, so someone that was going to die in Winds of Winter could buy it in season 5. Some people alive in the books aren't alive in the show, after all.

Book 4
Spoiler:
Cersei gets spiritually neutered by the end. She is effectively dead anyway.
Oh I see. Well, my response still belonged here.

Anyone whose death could be moved that much earlier is mostly insignificant, with a handful of exceptions: (Book 5 spoilers)
Spoiler:
I'm thinking of Sansa and Bran, who could die as soon as Season 5 if they die in Book 6... :o

I've heard people say that Bran has plot armor, but I don't see why. The only reason I think he'll survive the entire series is because he's not in any danger - Bloodraven survived up there for hundreds of years, after all. That said, I don't see why his role is vital to the story anymore. Assuming he survives the length of the book, it's possible he doesn't do anything and we never see him again... Also it would be pretty GRRMy for Bloodraven or the Children to kill Bran, take his memories, and pose as him through the weirwoods. Very unlikely, but who knows. *shrug*

That said, I'm really excited for the potential Bran POV chapters in WoW (and the upcoming seasons). With Jon's story picking up, this will be an ideal time IMO to start dropping hints that he's Lyanna's son. Of course, if Jon is dead then we will likely never get confirmation about his parents.

Regarding Cersei: yup, she becomes worthless. And yet her POV chapters continue... :evil:


Unrelated: is anyone else indifferent whether the show catches up to the books? I'd much rather the show catch up than have the show slow down. Obviously the ideal scenario is that both books would be finished in 3 years right before the last season started, but that's not going to happen.

IMO it's nice that we know for sure there will be an end - GRRM had previously said that if he didn't finish the story, no one would. Which is quite annoying to be told when you are invested in something so interesting and with so much mystery to it. :P
-Adam

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Adacore » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:19 am UTC

Adam H wrote:
Spoiler:
I've heard people say that Bran has plot armor, but I don't see why. The only reason I think he'll survive the entire series is because he's not in any danger - Bloodraven survived up there for hundreds of years, after all. That said, I don't see why his role is vital to the story anymore. Assuming he survives the length of the book, it's possible he doesn't do anything and we never see him again... Also it would be pretty GRRMy for Bloodraven or the Children to kill Bran, take his memories, and pose as him through the weirwoods. Very unlikely, but who knows. *shrug*

That said, I'm really excited for the potential Bran POV chapters in WoW (and the upcoming seasons). With Jon's story picking up, this will be an ideal time IMO to start dropping hints that he's Lyanna's son. Of course, if Jon is dead then we will likely never get confirmation about his parents.

Spoilers below are for all books and some future speculation:
Spoiler:
The general feeling is that there must be some reason we had to sit through three books of deathly boring Bran treks through the North chapters. He has some purpose to fulfil in the overall plot arc. Maybe that's something as simple as allowing Theon to rediscover himself, in which case he's served his purpose, but, as you implied, most people see Bran as having at the very least the important plot-function of being able to introduce exposition through his past-viewing visions to explain what actually happened in Robert's Rebellion. He hasn't done that yet to any significant extent, and that's probably an entire book worth of Bran chapters, likely introducing the material fairly late on, to keep the mystery alive, which means he almost certainly lives until at least the end of book 6, and probably mid-end of book 7. The other speculation is in the recurring motif that Bran will 'fly', he may gain the ability to worg into the dragons. In my view, Bran is just starting to get interesting at the end of Book 5, since he has the ability to manipulate events in the entire realm and interact with almost every other subplot now.


Adam H wrote:
Spoiler:
Regarding Cersei: yup, she becomes worthless. And yet her POV chapters continue... :evil:

Spoiler:
I can't see Cersei lasting much longer. Her purpose in books 4-5 was to screw up ruling Westeros so badly that further chaotic war seemed reasonable, with smallish factions actually standing a chance of taking control. Perhaps she'll have some long-range redemption arc in the end, but honestly that seems unlikely to me. I suspect GRRM is just waiting for a suitable moment to kill her off dramatically at this point.


Adam H wrote:Unrelated: is anyone else indifferent whether the show catches up to the books? I'd much rather the show catch up than have the show slow down. Obviously the ideal scenario is that both books would be finished in 3 years right before the last season started, but that's not going to happen.

IMO it's nice that we know for sure there will be an end - GRRM had previously said that if he didn't finish the story, no one would. Which is quite annoying to be told when you are invested in something so interesting and with so much mystery to it. :P

I would like the books to be finished first, purely because I think GRRM has a better thematic idea of where to go with the material and how to resolve all the subplots than Benioff and Weiss. That said, if GRRM isn't able to finish the book series, I would certainly want to see the show end to actually give a conclusion to the whole thing (although, I really can't see that there wouldn't be a ghostwritten 7th book in that case, perhaps using the show material as a basis, even if GRRM insists he doesn't want it to happen).

Also, speculation from a AVClub article I read earlier this week, that I was really surprised not to have seen/noticed before:
Spoiler:
Joanna Lannister is apparently rumoured to have slept with Aerys Targaryen on her wedding night, with Jaime and Cersei being their illegitimate children. That actually makes so much sense for the characters I think it's very likely to be true. The Targaryen insanity and incest fetish certainly seem to be there. This also means, assuming the Jon Snow theory is correct too, that there are an awful lot more Targaryens still around than most people think, and Jaime and Cersei might have some larger role to play in the future.

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4370
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby LaserGuy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:21 am UTC

Adacore wrote:
Regarding Cersei:
Spoiler:
I can't see Cersei lasting much longer. Her purpose in books 4-5 was to screw up ruling Westeros so badly that further chaotic war seemed reasonable, with smallish factions actually standing a chance of taking control. Perhaps she'll have some long-range redemption arc in the end, but honestly that seems unlikely to me. I suspect GRRM is just waiting for a suitable moment to kill her off dramatically at this point.



Spoiler:
Cersei will probably die in TWoW. I suspect she may be rejuvenated/crazified further as she comes to believe that Pycelle/Kevan were murdered by Tyrion. If Maggy the Frog prophecy is true, though, she will probably outlive both Tommen and Myrcella. The way events are current going, that's likely to come about in Dornish/Aegon invasion of King's Landing.


re: Joanna
Spoiler:
Joanna Lannister is apparently rumoured to have slept with Aerys Targaryen on her wedding night, with Jaime and Cersei being their illegitimate children. That actually makes so much sense for the characters I think it's very likely to be true. The Targaryen insanity and incest fetish certainly seem to be there. This also means, assuming the Jon Snow theory is correct too, that there are an awful lot more Targaryens still around than most people think, and Jaime and Cersei might have some larger role to play in the future.


Spoiler:
Some people believe that it is Tyrion who is Aerys' bastard. I dislike most of the secret Targ theories except Jon, personally. Having everyone and their dog a secret Targ would be a pretty lame, IMHO.

User avatar
Lazar
Landed Gentry
Posts: 2151
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm UTC
Location: Massachusetts

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Lazar » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:21 pm UTC

Things I've learned from reading AGoT:

- All leather is boiled
- Wolves (and some people) pad everywhere
- Everything is cooked with onions and served on trenchers
- "The Sword of the Morning" is the coolest title ever
Exit the vampires' castle.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 8661
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:21 pm UTC

Leather that isn't boiled is clothing. To turn leather into armor you need to specially prepare it in wax and other things.

As an aside, is it a spoiler to talk about the actual War of the Roses? Because Tyrion is based on Richard III, and, well, not everyone knows how that ended.

User avatar
eSOANEM
:D
Posts: 3573
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:47 pm UTC

Under a car park in Leicester?
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Adacore » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:56 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:As an aside, is it a spoiler to talk about the actual War of the Roses? Because Tyrion is based on Richard III, and, well, not everyone knows how that ended.

I would actually love for someone to break down the history of the War of the Roses and the counterparts to people and/or stuff that happened to people/stuff in ASoIaF. I know the series is 'based on' that period of history, but I have no idea how close the parallels are. Probably would be best to spoiler that kind of analysis, though.

User avatar
Diemo
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:43 pm UTC

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Diemo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:22 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:As an aside, is it a spoiler to talk about the actual War of the Roses? Because Tyrion is based on Richard III, and, well, not everyone knows how that ended.

I would actually love for someone to break down the history of the War of the Roses and the counterparts to people and/or stuff that happened to people/stuff in ASoIaF. I know the series is 'based on' that period of history, but I have no idea how close the parallels are. Probably would be best to spoiler that kind of analysis, though.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams


Return to “Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests