uh, thats jacked up (disturbing books)

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Oflick

Re: uh, thats jacked up (disturbing books)

Postby Oflick » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:48 pm UTC

Someone brought up Naked Lunch (Over three years ago). I'd say that would be true, except the cut-up style of the book made it incredibly hard to tell what was going on a lot of the time.

I'll be looking up this "Guts" story at some stage, sounds interesting.

EDIT: word change bolded.
Last edited by Oflick on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gypped

Postby Gypped » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:21 am UTC

Maybe it's not in the same category as the other disturbing literature posted here, but I found The Magus by John Fowles to be unnerving. The psychological torment gone through by the protagonist just made me cringe. Unfortunately, the book starts out pretty slow, so I don't think many readers will get through the whole thing. It's definitely an interesting read if you want to learn what breaks a man.

Deep_Thought

Postby Deep_Thought » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:34 pm UTC

Oflick wrote:Someone brought up Naked Lunch (Over three years ago). I'd say that would be true, if the cut-up style of the book made it incredibly hard to tell what was going on a lot of the time.

A literary-minded friend of mine leant it to me at Uni, I couldn't get more of a third of the way through, due to the cut-up style. That, and the paedophilia which comes even more out of the blue than the rest of it.
I'll be looking up this "Guts" story at some stage, sounds interesting.

It's linked on the first page of this thread. I just read it. I am holding my brain together by convincing myself that the human body just doesn't quite work that way. Just.

Return to “Books”