Philip K. Dick fans?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

clayasaurus

Philip K. Dick fans?

Postby clayasaurus » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:22 pm UTC

I just devoured Flow my Tears, the Policeman Said in 35 hours, and found it incredible.

I'm starting up on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep next, is anyone else here a fan? Any further recs?

And yes I have seen A Scanner Darkly and Blade Runner
I lie down in fields and listen to Underworld a lot.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Re: Philip K. Dick fans?

Postby bbctol » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:44 pm UTC

As long as you don't associate Androids with Blade Runner, they're both pretty awesome. Also read The Man in the High Castle[u] and UBIK[/u].

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:54 pm UTC

I love his short stories. Just about all of them are great. As for books, I did enjoy A Scanner Darkly. What the hell, I'll just end up recommending anything. So I'll do that. They are all great.
418 I'm a teapot

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:17 pm UTC

The book Minority Report was great (though I'm not sure how great, as it was the first one I read a while ago, and I was like "wow, that's cool")
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

George Orr

Postby George Orr » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:11 am UTC

Heh, I have about 15 of his books all lined up on a shelf in nice trade paperback form, so you could probably call me a fan. VALIS and Do Androids Dream... are my two personal favorites, mostly because they're so different from everything else he's done. Sometimes his work can get a little repetitive, so I like the ones where he breaks the mold but still stays weird and awesome. The two I mentioned also have a nice dose of philosophy and metaphysics-ey stuff thrown in, VALIS the more so of the two. Time out of Joint and Martian Time Slip are also recommended strongly.
Go, said the bird, for the leaves were full of children,
Hidden excitedly, containing laughter.
Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind
Cannot bear very much reality.

tritonomachy

Postby tritonomachy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:20 am UTC

It's all about The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. Whats great are those collections of his short stories that they starting putting out a few years ago. A good way to get a lot of his shorter works all together.
Also The Short Happy Life of a Brown Oxford is perhaps the greatest tale ever written about footwear.
Some Internet Bullshit

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:32 am UTC

Scanner Darkly is great and the film was good too. Unfortunatly the film was incomprehensible to anyone who hadnt read the book as my friend kept telling me..
One day something wity and original will appear here

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:36 pm UTC

It wasn't, really. I watched it before I read the book. If anything, the book is much harder to understand than the film.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

insomnius

Postby insomnius » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:35 pm UTC

I love PKD, despite the fact that his writing can be kind of clunky (and usually I get turned right off by clunky writing). A Scanner Darkly and Do Androids Dream... are big favourites, but I like everything I've read of his - apart from the short story The Pre-Persons, which was way too preachy for my liking.

Some of his weirder stuff can be quite bad for the brain when in a state of stress and sleep deprivation, I must say.

Anyone else read Adjustment Team and been eerily reminded of the Matrix trilogy? (With less Keanu Reeves, obviously.)

UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:13 am UTC

Love everything of his that I've read (mainly a ton of short stories, Do Androids Dream..., Man in High Castle. Scanner is on the list of must read soon though.

The two stories of his that come to mind first are The Mold of Yancy which sort of predicted waay to many things and is scary to me, reminds me a lot of the whole thing with the Bush administration messing with the news, and this story where everyone thought they were plants, although I can't remember the name of it right now.
yellie wrote:Confession: I just had to look up the word ubiquitous because I kept seeing it all over the place and had no idea what it meant.

Pawn

Postby Pawn » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:50 am UTC

I've read Do Android Dream Of Electric Sheep? and I completetly tore through The Simulacra. Surprisingly enough I can't get through The Man In The High Castle. It's moving so slowly for me! Does anyone have any other recommendations on where I should go from there?

I saw a play about Philip K. Dick's last few months alive. The Transmigration of Philip K. Dick. Apparently he was on drugs a whole bunch, hallucinated about God talking to him through his friend Catherine, thought a guy from Poland was trying to get him to introduce subliminal Marxist theories into his books and that the FBI raided his house and stole the notes for the sequel to The Man In The High Castle. I'm not sure what is fact and what is fiction here however...

Although if Philip K. Dick is right about all these things, then the United States government is directly responsible for the lack of a sequel to The Man In The High Castle.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

UmbrageOfSnow wrote:... and this story where everyone thought they were plants, although I can't remember the name of it right now.

Piper in the woods (from the short happy life of oxford brown/ beyond lies the wub short stories collection, and probably also other things.)

I second basically everything here. I've read almost all the short stories now. I think my favourite book was probably Valis. About A Scanner Darkly: I didn't think that the book was that incomprehensible (apart from the bits that were in German). Oh, and I also liked Ubik, Now wait for last year and The man in high castle.

Also, the search function: do you know her?
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

His short stories are also excellent. I got Payback (i think its called?) which was made into a Ben Affleck film, which I never saw, but liked the concept of (the story, not Ben Affleck), and 9/10 stories in the volume were very entertaining.

Spoiler:
I especially liked the ones about time traveling releasing deadly butterflies that induces an apocalypse, and the one about the man who has to build an ark.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

I haven't read any of his work, though I have seen a few of the movie adaptations. I just want to say that "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" is the greatest title of any short story ever.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

The short stories are awesome, and the novels are pretty good too.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:54 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:His short stories are also excellent. I got Payback (i think its called?) which was made into a Ben Affleck film, which I never saw, but liked the concept of (the story, not Ben Affleck), and 9/10 stories in the volume were very entertaining.

Spoiler:
I especially liked the ones about time traveling releasing deadly butterflies that induces an apocalypse, and the one about the man who has to build an ark.

It's actually called Paycheck, and its really not very good (the film). And the spoiler'd short story is for the win too.
Spoiler:
Although I'm not sure how that would work. Oh, and there's another one called 'Captive Market' , which is a good one :D

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:24 am UTC

I've read a few anthologies and 1 or 2 novels so I guess you could consider me a fan. Shamefully, I am yet to read The Man in the High Castle and Ubik.
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

Phisioni

Postby Phisioni » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:39 am UTC

Spoiler:
The dream means that Deckard is Inspector Gadget!

It makes me sad that when I picked up Sheep? at my local shop, it was sold as Blade Runner: the classic novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? which will throw tons of people into confusion about which is the original and such. Bah.
I don't want to be the only one yelling in the dark.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:38 am UTC

Phisioni wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Go, go gadget copter!

For some reason I wanted to say 'go, go gadget hands', but that really doesn't make sense at all.

Phisioni

Postby Phisioni » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:18 am UTC

no-genius wrote:
Phisioni wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Go, go gadget copter!

For some reason I wanted to say 'go, go gadget hands', but that really doesn't make sense at all.

Spoiler:
It'd make sense if Gadget were a creepy uncle...
I don't want to be the only one yelling in the dark.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:43 am UTC

Spoiler:
Well, what I meant was I didn't think 'gadget hands' was something in the cartoon (we are talking the cartoon, and not the film right?) But this is getting massively off-topic.

I was watching some of spy-kids 2 over christmas (in-between dvds), and monk was in it. What the hell is monk doing there?

When I finish Gravity's Rainbow, I've got about 5 short stories left to read.

Oh, wait
Spoiler:
one of my favourites is about this guy who's sent back in time to stop some cult from taking off, and accidentally starts the cult. Oops!

papercut_ska

Postby papercut_ska » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:44 pm UTC

My boyfriend is a major Philip K. Dick fan, and is attempting to coax me into reading some. I loved the movie of A Scanner Darkly, however when I tried to read the book I couldn't get into it, possibly because of the style of writing, however I was extremely busy with Uni exam revision, so maybe I just wasn't in the right place to concentrate. I'll probably give him another go, maybe a different book though...
------------------------

longcat is loooooooong.

Felstaff wrote:200 miles to an Englishman is a long way, just like 200 years to an American is a long time.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:26 pm UTC

My favorite should not be too hard to guess...

It's been a long time since I have read anything written by Dick. Two books that have not yet been mentioned but which I rememeber liking are Galactic Pot-Healer (it's not about drugs despite the name) and We Can Build You. Lies, Inc. is not particularly good, but had some nice hallucinations. I still would not recommend it over other books. The Man in the High Castle seems to be considered as one of his best books as far as I know.

no-g

Postby no-g » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:20 am UTC

I just got Ubik and A Maze of Death. They were the only ones I didn't already have (from what they had at the bookshop).

Also, I got Haunted and the Gormenghast trilogy. Nearly got against the day (Pynchon), but its 1200 pages, so I'll give it a miss for a while.

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:01 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:His short stories are also excellent.

I just read a couple at the bookstore (no, luckily the alarm didn't go off as I was leaving): "The Crawlers" and "null-O". They weren't bad, but to be honest I wasn't as impressed as I expected. Do you guys have any recommendations as to his short stories?

The only other things I've read were Man in the High Castle, which was between OK and pretty good; and VALIS. VALIS did me in. After that one I knew I would never stray far from this man. Holy shit, that book! Really incredible stuff. I still have to read the rest from that late trilogy, then go back and visit everything else he's written.

So, where should I turn to next? My local library has Flow My Tears (the only PKD there!), so that's on deck. But what else from PKD, as well as other writers, deals with that VALIS sort of drugged-out paranoia and insanity?
"Personally, I'd never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you can't wear a hat." --George Carlin.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:05 pm UTC

nevskey1 wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:His short stories are also excellent.

I just read a couple at the bookstore (no, luckily the alarm didn't go off as I was leaving): "The Crawlers" and "null-O". They weren't bad, but to be honest I wasn't as impressed as I expected. Do you guys have any recommendations as to his short stories?

Well I guess everyone has their favourites. Wait, if you liked VALIS, try 'The eyes of the sibyl'. I read that first, and reading VALIS made a lot of sense (kinda)

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

Here is something non-fiction by Dick: How to Build a Universe That Doesn't Fall Apart Two Days Later at http://deoxy.org/pkd_how2build.htm. It contains some spoilers, because Dick is referring to many of his own stories.

I especially like the idea (and the wording Dick used to describe the idea) of sneaking into Disneyland and replacing all the fake animals with their real counterparts.

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:try 'The eyes of the sibyl'.

Oh yeah, I'll definitely be giving that a read soon. Thanks.

I don't think I'm quite ready for "How to Build a Universe" because I want to read more of his stuff without the spoilers. But the judging by the title, it sounds awesome.
"Personally, I'd never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you can't wear a hat." --George Carlin.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:00 am UTC

Wait. Have you read 'A Scanner Darkly'? Great book, but some of it was in German, so knowing German might help.

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:06 pm UTC

No, haven't read it, but I've seen the movie. It was very good, and Linklater is very well suited for capturing the trippiness of Dick's world. But I'm still planning on reading the book as I expect it goes deeper into the characters' minds. Sucks about the German, though, because I don't know it either.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

There's not much of it in German. It is just a few odd (small) paragraphs. And there's probably translations on the internets somewhere. (I don't know German either, and it didn't bother me.)

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

That's good to hear. I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Oh, and have you heard of his diary about the VALIS events in his life, the Exegesis? Here's the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exegesis_%28book%29. It's basically a really massive version (8000 pages!) of the appendix to VALIS. Take a look at the links at the bottom. One is to excerpts. The other to Robert Crumb's drawn depictions of what was going on. Some very interesting stuff if you were as amazed by VALIS as I was.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:17 am UTC

My edition had some exerpts from the exergis. I think it was about 20 pages of it. Also, the PK Dick site has 5 pages, which I don't think you can get anywhere else.

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:01 pm UTC

Love the man. I need to finish reading VALIS (it's been temporarily banished to the stack of excellent-books-I'm-not-in-the-mood-for). I feel like I heard that another of his books is being made into a movie soon; am I confusing it with something else?
Fish cannot carry guns.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:03 pm UTC

I don't know. I think I read somewhere that someone has the movie rights to VALIS? Finish VALIS!

wery67564

Postby wery67564 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

Read for the first time this weekend awesomeness, thanks for bringing this author to my attention!
To exist is to resist.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:20 pm UTC

Oh, wait, I found the old thread. It were in general - I remember when there was only General, Comics Discussion, Logic Puzzles, News and S/FI. *is old*

I'm not currently reading any PKD, 'cause I have the Gormenghast trilogy to get through first. Has anyone mentioned 'Now Wait for Last Year' ? It has drug-taking, (possibly) time-travel, conspiracies and robants!
Spoiler:
there is a good scene towards the end where the main character (who's in the future) considers killing him self, so that his future self can't save him, and weird stuff. Lots happens!

Oh, and the 'How to build an universe ...' article only really spoils 'Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said'. In fact, it doesn't even really spoil that. Oh, and the short story 'the electric ant', which is quite a good'un.

dangerduck

Postby dangerduck » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:40 am UTC

I'm loving Philip K. Dick too, I started with A Scanner Darkly, then worked through to Androids, Ubik, Valis, The Simulacra, The Penultimate Truth, Three Stigmata, and Eye in the sky, loved all of them. Anyone interested in Dicks stuff or the Scanner Darkly movie would be well worth checking out more of the director Richard Linklaters stuff, there are some good references to Dick in his film "Waking Life" in philosophy format, thought provoking movie too.

For those interested it seems pretty soon a movie of Radio Free Albemuth is coming out too with Alanis Morrisette, may be worth seeing, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Free_Albemuth_%28film%29

Anomie

Postby Anomie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:26 pm UTC

I love this author, I demolish his books whenever I get them. My current favourites are A Scanner Darkly and The Penultimate Truth. I've started Valis twice now, but I always seem to get distracted> I *shall* finish it soon.
They don't sleep on the beaches anymore.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:39 am UTC

I've only read The Man in the High Castle and was thoroughly impressed by it. I think someday I will have to read Androids and watch Blade Runner, seeing as it's fairly required reading/viewing in this world, and I ought not to rely on Wi'pedia all the time.

Return to “Books”