I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Kewangji » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:52 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:It's probably not The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, but someone's probably going to suggest that anyway, so let's get that out of the way.

It is indeed not that.

"The Rage of the Butterfly" seems to not be a book, also. graaar.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:42 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:WHAT BOOK IS THAT??? :( The xxgx x butterfly????

It might just be a prop.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Shadowking58

Need help identifying this comic.

Postby Shadowking58 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:50 am UTC

Okay so i was just browsing this website because i was bored, and i ran into these comic pages, but they were all out of order and all of them weren't there, and none of the pages supplied any sort of name or anything else i could have gone of off, so i was hoping on of you guys could identify it for me, because i actually want to read it, since i can't really post the pages here, message me if you think you can help me and i'll link you to them.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Re: Need help identifying this comic.

Postby philsov » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

you mean this one?

With no description at all, what are you expecting?
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Need help identifying this comic.

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:26 pm UTC

Shadowking58 wrote:Okay so i was just browsing this website because i was bored, and i ran into these comic pages, but they were all out of order and all of them weren't there, and none of the pages supplied any sort of name or anything else i could have gone of off, so i was hoping on of you guys could identify it for me, because i actually want to read it, since i can't really post the pages here, message me if you think you can help me and i'll link you to them.

The 2008 xkcd Christmas Special is my guess.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:35 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:
Kewangji wrote:WHAT BOOK IS THAT??? :( The xxgx x butterfly????

It might just be a prop.

…why would someone do that. People do that?
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:52 pm UTC

yes, because otherwise you might need rights to put a real book in a tv show. props people frequently have a collection of home made books that are fake.
/me may be going into props work
ImageImageImageImageImage

Hugo.B

Postby Hugo.B » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:04 pm UTC

Hello, my particular book has been eluding me for me for over 15 years.

I read a black and white graphic novel in elementary school that I had taken out of the library. I swear the book should not have been in a children's library, because it seemed very mature and dark. As a child, the book went over my head, but something about it compelled me to keep taking it out.

Description: Dark urban graphic novel about a Sign Maker. Black and white. I believe it was about a young girl who was taken in by an older man in a big city (like Chicago or manhattan). He was a sign-maker, I think neon signs, and he was disturbed and filled with angst. Their relationship was almost violent and I think eventually the protagonist girl tries to flee from him. He wears glasses and I think he is bald and quite "mad scientist" looking. Again I read this book at 7 or 8 years old and had trouble understanding it. And my memory of it is fading since it was so long ago.

webgrunt

Looking for a specific XKCD comic

Postby webgrunt » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:35 pm UTC

There's an XKCD with a graphic depiction of the plot of a movie which is so convoluted with loopbacks and such that it's drawn as a big snarl. Can someone please point me to the comic? I can't remember the name of the film, but it's a low-budget film about time travel, that's about all I remember.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Looking for a specific XKCD comic

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:50 pm UTC

webgrunt wrote:There's an XKCD with a graphic depiction of the plot of a movie which is so convoluted with loopbacks and such that it's drawn as a big snarl. Can someone please point me to the comic? I can't remember the name of the film, but it's a low-budget film about time travel, that's about all I remember.

Primer is the name of the film. This is the comic. The charts aren't depicting the plot, but character interactions which, for a movie in which the characters frequently time travel, makes sense that it'd be nothing but lines looping back on themselves to other lines looping back to the first line.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

webgrunt

Postby webgrunt » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:56 pm UTC

Thanks, SecondTalon!
SecondTalon
Second Talon
wtf...

bmc90

Can't find a certain comic

Postby bmc90 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:06 am UTC

There's an xkcd comic of a guy who's on a bus/train. A girl sits next to him, I think, and he says something to her. Then it turns into a thought bubble, and he's sitting next to the girl and thinking something like "That's what I'd say if I talked to her." It continues that way until he's in bed thinking "That's what I'd do if I'd gotten out of bed today," and then it transitions back to him sitting on the bus by himself.

I think.

Any help? I've been looking for it all night... I need a life.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:24 am UTC

webgrunt wrote:Thanks, SexyTalon!
SexyTalon
SexyTalon
wtf...

If you say my name three times, I appear. Later. Much later.

bmc90 wrote:There's an xkcd comic of a guy who's on a bus/train. A girl sits next to him, I think, and he says something to her. Then it turns into a thought bubble, and he's sitting next to the girl and thinking something like "That's what I'd say if I talked to her." It continues that way until he's in bed thinking "That's what I'd do if I'd gotten out of bed today," and then it transitions back to him sitting on the bus by himself.

I think.

Any help? I've been looking for it all night... I need a life.
There's a reason you're not finding it. It's not an XKCD comic. The closest is Creepy.

bmc90

Postby bmc90 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:33 am UTC

I was afraid of that. In my head it looks and reads exactly like xkcd, but I looked through almost the entire archives and didn't find it. This is going to bug the shit out of me until I find it.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:44 am UTC

Changes its form depending on the observer.

bmc90

Postby bmc90 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:04 pm UTC

YES. THANK YOU.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:36 am UTC

Something I read maybe 15-20 years ago, a Sci-Fi/Fantasy short story, possibly by Jack Vance (I was heavily into him around that time).

The story was about a recently settled planet with an obscene number of suns, in different colors. This made the day/night cycling incredibly unpredictable which was driving the settlers crazy because they tried to maintain a "standard" day/night rhythm. In the end they just gave up on that and felt a lot better.
Quack!

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:42 am UTC

So there's this parody of a disaster preparedness poster that's been making the rounds lately:
Spoiler:

I seem to remember something similar came out shortly after 9/11, when the original poster upon which it was based was released. (And I seem to recall Homeland Security getting quite upset about the parody. I think someone here even used one of the images as an avatar?) I feel like at some point I saved it to my hard drive, but I can't seem to find it anymore. Any ideas where I can find it?

EDIT: http://www.safenow.org/ is a little closer, but I was looking for one specific image with embedded text.

EDIT2: http://i.imgur.com/82QRU.png is definitely one part of it. I recognize the font.

EDIT3: Ahh, bingo. I can go to sleep now. I'll just leave this here.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:36 am UTC

I don't think I mentioned this before:

Some twenty years ago, I came across a book in the young adult section of the bookstore. I'm pretty sure the title was "Split Second", but I've never managed to find what I've been looking for under that title, so maybe it was spelled in some absurd way, or maybe I'm entirely mistaken and I was reading some flavor text inserted by the publisher.

The back cover blurb was something about a boy who gets up from a chair he is sitting in and then realizes that he is still sitting in the chair, i.e. that he has the power to split himself into two bodies. (And the cover was blue and had some weird abstract art on it, but that doesn't help anyone. :P )

I used to think it was something by William Sleator, and while he has written something that sounds vaguely similar, I don't think it matches.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:15 am UTC

Okay, can I try another one?

I'm thinking of a stick figure comic in which each of the figures has a face. The comic had definitely ended; I think the last one was about a guy practicing his nonchalant look, and one of the other last ones had a pun on crepe=crap. And it had some funny name that might have had "spoon" or maybe "juice" in it.

Any ideas?

Also, what a shame Truck Bearing Kibble seems to have been blasted off the Internet.

selar

Comic about not paying for Facebook

Postby selar » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

Hi all! I'm trawling the archive trying to find a comic that illustrates why nobody's really got a right to complain about the way Facebook is run when it doesn't directly cost us users any money. I've tried searching on "Facebook", "Free" and "Advertising" but can't see the one I'm looking for.

It's similar in tone to strip 1150 about Instagram.

Any help in tracing it would be greatly appreciated! (Pre-emptive note: Please -I'm not here to start a debate about whether or not Facebook has any moral obligation to do X or Y; I'm just trying to share XKCD and show my friend the strip :D )

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

selar

Postby selar » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

Thanks Talon, but I already referenced that one in my post. The one I'm looking for may actually have been on another website, but I'm well aware of the Instagram strip :)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:32 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Okay, can I try another one?

I'm thinking of a stick figure comic in which each of the figures has a face. The comic had definitely ended; I think the last one was about a guy practicing his nonchalant look, and one of the other last ones had a pun on crepe=crap. And it had some funny name that might have had "spoon" or maybe "juice" in it.
Ahh, of course, it was Not From Concentrate. What a relief.

It still hasn't updated in the last five years, alas.

Sakutarou

Postby Sakutarou » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:12 am UTC

I remember reading this book in the eighth grade or so about this woman who ran either an orphanage or a homeless shelter. She was introduced to the city life or something by a lady friend and slowly becomes corrupted by the lure of money. She treats everybody at the orphanage/homeless shelter/something horribly, and at one point accidently decapitates her own daughter with some kind of thrown object. Near the end, her savings are stolen by somebody close to her (the dogs didn't bark, that's how she knew) and the narrator is with her on her deathbed. The woman is still insisting that the narrator stole her money even as she's dying.

And I cannot, for the life of me, remember the name of the book, the name of the author, or the character names. Just a few events from the story that stick out. I think it might have been based on real life events, but I'm afraid to comment in case I'm getting things mixed up with other books. Anybody know?
When you don't know, the answer is a witch did it. With magic.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

Anybody remember a scene where a Catholic gentleman catches himself humming a Kyrie to himself while shaving and wonders if that's sacrilegious?

I thought maybe it was Graham Greene's The Human Factor, which makes the Catholicism/shaving connection, but that doesn't seem to be it.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

OK, trying to remember what book this scene is from. It was a sci-fi book.

A character is in an underground prison and mine. He is fed protein gruel that gives the prisoners stength to mine, then kills a dwarf and steals and eats his gruel, then someone else's. Then he overpowers the guards, and breaks out. He escapes to a landing pad area, and I think steals a starship.

Oh, and I think later he is revealed to be a famous space pirate.

Anyone remember this?
Last edited by emceng on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

I know that more than one of you has read this book, but I just can't remember the name. The title has the word "house" in it (I think) and is about viewing the world on a microscopic level, talking about the routines of dust mites, the electric charge created when closing aluminum windows, inviting guests over when one happens to be sick, and so on, all on a minute level.
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

Ciber

Postby Ciber » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

I remember reading a book a while ago where the basic premise was that on a recently discovered island that has been separated from the rest of the world for millions of years, the entire place is populated by giant relatives of the mantis shrimp and the entire place is a death-world where everything could live forever cause they never evolved natural death because they all die super fast cause of the affor mentioned death world where acid excreting moss is literally the least of your worries.

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

Ciber wrote:I remember reading a book a while ago where the basic premise was that on a recently discovered island that has been separated from the rest of the world for millions of years, the entire place is populated by giant relatives of the mantis shrimp and the entire place is a death-world where everything could live forever cause they never evolved natural death because they all die super fast cause of the affor mentioned death world where acid excreting moss is literally the least of your worries.

If this wasn't a fever dream, I would also like to know what this book is called.
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

Ciber

Postby Ciber » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

It was pretty cool, they had in depth drawings and descriptions of the creatures biology. For instance, the only reason they had not taken over the world (being quick multipling death machines) was that they had never evolved a way to regulate salt intake, so the ocean was deadly to them. Oh and there were lots of explinations of how the human explorers died. They even sent in some kinda experimental nasa thing which got stuck due to acid moss disolving the wheels, and It made you think the people died but the actually got rescued by the last seven living members of the sentient invisible(how they managed not to get eaten) shrimp people.

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

Ciber wrote:sentient invisible shrimp people.

Please help us find this book.

THE BEEF

New but trying to find a comic

Postby THE BEEF » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

I have been a longtime reader of the xkcd comics and there is one in particular that I can't find. It was quite a favorite of mine.

I have done several searches to no avail. I have searched the internet and this forum.

hopefully someone remembers it or can actually give me the number of the comic itself.

Here is hopefully a pretty good description of it...

I thought it was entitled "TICKLE MONSTER". The first few slides show a father chasing his child saying "Here comes the tickle monster" or the likes. The last few slides show a hideous beast chasing them and the last slide shows the monster holding the dad and eating the child as they both chuckle. My wife and I got a real kick out of it and I wanted to share it with others but can't locate it.

any assistance is greatly appreciated.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

Yeah, there's a reason you're not finding it. That's not an xkcd comic. You can tell because it's not even close to the style of xkcd.

It's a Cyanide and Happiness one.

THE BEEF

Postby THE BEEF » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

My mistake, thanks for the response though.

I follow a few web comics. Sometimes I get them confused.

drego642

Postby drego642 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

Occasionally, I've thought back to a book I started reading ages ago as a kid, and probably never finished. I don't know why, but if it's going to keep popping up in my head, I'd feel better if I at least knew what it was. Since I'm basically working off of historical guesswork, I can't be too sure of the accuracy of my description, but from what I can remember:

It was a book about a boy who finds a dragon's egg and hatches and raises the dragon. I think it was set in modern times and at one point, his aunt or someone says something about dragons being virtually extinct (a detail which stuck out to me because that was the first time I'd ever seen the word 'virtually' used to mean almost).

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:39 am UTC

Asthanius wrote:
Ciber wrote:sentient invisible shrimp people.

Please help us find this book.

I have read this book. For a few minutes I thought it might be by Greg Hurwitz, but now I am not sure. I will keep searching!

I found it!
The title is Fragment and it's by Warren Fahy. It was a fun read. And now you can go out and read it too.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

drego642 wrote:Occasionally, I've thought back to a book I started reading ages ago as a kid, and probably never finished. I don't know why, but if it's going to keep popping up in my head, I'd feel better if I at least knew what it was. Since I'm basically working off of historical guesswork, I can't be too sure of the accuracy of my description, but from what I can remember:

It was a book about a boy who finds a dragon's egg and hatches and raises the dragon. I think it was set in modern times and at one point, his aunt or someone says something about dragons being virtually extinct (a detail which stuck out to me because that was the first time I'd ever seen the word 'virtually' used to mean almost).

Eragon?

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

Could it be Dragonhaven by Robin Mckinley?
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

drego642

Postby drego642 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:
drego642 wrote:Occasionally, I've thought back to a book I started reading ages ago as a kid, and probably never finished. I don't know why, but if it's going to keep popping up in my head, I'd feel better if I at least knew what it was. Since I'm basically working off of historical guesswork, I can't be too sure of the accuracy of my description, but from what I can remember:

Eragon?

I can't honestly say that it isn't possible that I am thinking of Eragon, but I feel as though I'd have remembered picking up a book that was so widely-read at the time. Also, Eragon has a lot more fantasy elements than I remember mystery book having. I feel like this book seems like it had more of a feel of, "some random ordinary kid who just happens to have come across a dragon egg." This feeling could be wrong though, granted.

PAstrychef wrote:Could it be Dragonhaven by Robin Mckinley?

I don't believe so. That was published in 2007 when I was in high school. My memories of this book date back to most likely my elementary school/maybe early middle days. In the interest of aiding the search, I'd say its publication probably falls somewhere between 2000 and 2005, though it could possibly have been earlier.

And of course, thank you both anyway.

Return to “Books”