I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Kewangji » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:24 pm UTC

I apologize profusely for getting that that wrong!
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:59 pm UTC

I'm responding to posts that are so old (three years!) that it's likely that the post-ers either have found the book already or will never see this reply. But, for posterity, I present:

Thin_icE wrote:... some sci-fi book that is divided in stories, each of which is based on the same principle: what would be the world like if a certain physical constant had a different value?
That sounds a bit like Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman. Though, I don't know if those worlds were defined/specified by altering a single physical constant.

kwub wrote:It was about this guy who falls in love with a weird, moody girl and takes a trip to her creepy family mansion with her... ... it turned out his girlfriend/wife (can't remember if they got married or not) was really a child witch in disguise attempting to claim the power of the creature for herself. The creature was basically a disgusting heart sitting in a locked box... In the end the guy gets saved because he was wearing a zip-loc bag full of magical protective hair (yes, hair) under his shirt...
That's definitely Treasure Box by Orson Scott Card.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

shanen

Alternative realities of "I love you"

Postby shanen » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:04 pm UTC

I'm looking for a comic with two guys saying "I love you" to the same woman. The first guy has a thought balloon saying "I think she's sexually available" and the woman is thinking something like "All my girlfriends say he's a terrible liar but great in bed." Presumably she's smiling but I have no idea of what she's saying. The second guy's thought balloon says "Finally, a woman who wants to sleep with me" and I don't know what her thought balloon says. Perhaps "Boring"? I do look at a number of comics, but this one seems like the kind of thing XKCD might have somewhere, but I've been told that it is not here.

Aldarion

Postby Aldarion » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:31 pm UTC

In October I saw this book in a London bookstore, which I can't remember the name of, no matter how hard I try.
What I remember about it is that it was set on board a ship from Ireland to America in, I think, the 19th century, and that it was a murder mystery.
Does anybody know what it could be?
I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:21 pm UTC

Aldarion wrote:In October I saw this book in a London bookstore, which I can't remember the name of, no matter how hard I try.
What I remember about it is that it was set on board a ship from Ireland to America in, I think, the 19th century, and that it was a murder mystery.
Does anybody know what it could be?

Star of the Sea, by Joseph O'Connor!

I'm actually in the middle of it right now. Really good so far, worth a read.

Abderite

Postby Abderite » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:43 pm UTC

Deep_Thought wrote:
You sir, are a bonafide genius! Your long shot has hit the target. I am reassured that I am not mad, but turns out it is an Alan Moore creation, so it is probably more evidence that he is mad. I'm going to buy a copy this weekend.

I tried searching for "comic alien yoghurt pregnancy" as well :roll: Must have missed that 2000 AD link.

This was from ages ago, but I just noticed it! So thank you, and sig'd :lol:

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:13 am UTC

Bleh, this is probably going ot be too vague to turn up anything, but I can hope.

I read an article recently (a month or so ago) on I think io9, but possibly boing-boing or some other sci-fi/tech blog style site about a new short story collection with a sort of retro/space-opera type feel to it.
The title and cover art initially caught my eye (of course, now I can remember neither, I think the cover may have been blue) and I've been on kind of a retro/rocket-punk kick recently so I filed the thing away to check out later and of course completely forget every useful detail.
I tried trawling/searching through io9s archives, but that was a painful task even before the wretched new site design.
Does anyone else read io9 and remember anything like this? anybody have any ideas?
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:43 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Little Bunny Fru Fru hopping through the forest, picking up an army and crushing all resistance!

And since reading that I have been reminded of a book but as suggested by posting here I have no idea what it was called.
It was sci-fi, and sort of an account of one part of a war, humans vs invading lizards, there were APU's and a giant (I mean GIANT) tank, and it had a bunny painted on the side, the bunny was from a real life webcomic which I can't remember the name of either, is this possibly ringing any bells with anyone. Or maybe just a webcomic with a violent rabbit in it? It would be a start. The cover had a picture of the tank with the painted on rabbit plainly visible and men in blue militaty armour in the foreground.

Edit: Managed to find it myself after trying keyword after keyword. Hell's Faire. The comic was Sluggy Freelance.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:01 pm UTC

Yeah, John Ringo's Posleen War series.

Shit you can get for free because John Ringo and Baen Books are awesome - Most of that series. Hell's Faire is the 4th one.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:08 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Yeah, John Ringo's Posleen War series.

Shit you can get for free because John Ringo and Baen Books are awesome - Most of that series. Hell's Faire is the 4th one.

Holy shit that's awesome, I am going to have to read the whole series now, I'd only ever read the fourth one before which which great and I was missing all of the backstory. :P Though that is going to have to wait until I've read the 12 other books I've got sitting on my shelf unread...
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

yadayada

Postby yadayada » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:18 pm UTC

This probably wont work but a very long time ago i remember listening to a book on tape (as in cassette tape) about the second comming of Jesus in an English boys boarding school. I'm not kidding, this actually what it was about, I only heared the first bit of it though and i'm really curiose about how it ends.
The main character is a kid in the school, i think it was all from his point of view. At the start of the story a new boy starts at the school, and at some stage while in a room alone with the main character has what appears to be an epileptic fit, when he wakes up he tells the protagonist that this is not the first time this has happened to him. According to the boy, during these fits he sees God, who speaks to him because he's the second comming, and this time around God has told him that the first person he sees when he wakes up will be his first apostle. The protagonist is sceptical but goes along wth it, that's about all I remember other then something about rugby, the school rugby star might have ended up the second apostle.
I have no idea whether or not the boy was delusional, just lying, or actually the son of god, if this sounds at all familiar to anyone, the title of the book would be greatly appreciated.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

Von Haus wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Yeah, John Ringo's Posleen War series.

Holy shit that's awesome, I am going to have to read the whole series now, I'd only ever read the fourth one before which which great and I was missing all of the backstory. :P Though that is going to have to wait until I've read the 12 other books I've got sitting on my shelf unread...
I should point out that John Ringo is awesome for certain values of Awesome.

See Also : Oh John Ringo No!**
But at least he completely understands what it is he's done. Which ... may make it worse, I suppose.**

**Trigger warnings on those for sexual violence, though if you're familiar with the Oh John Ringo No! meme, you already know this.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

spupy

Postby spupy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:00 pm UTC

I'm trying to recall the names of 3 sci-fi books/stories I read when I was little. I didn't read them in English so I can't find them using what I remember of the titles.

1. Medieval knights in space. They kick some alien ass. That is all.
2. Some aliens arrive on Earth. The interesting thing was that the aliens weren't the usual little green people - they had unusual and almost indescribable shapes.

3. I'm most interested in finding the name of the 3rd book. The title was something like "The Tears of Earth", or "The End of the Earth" or something similar, the cover had a "crying" planet Earth. It described a future where the Earth was almost dead. The land was literally cracked and broken and transformed to an inhospitable endless mountain-desert by frequent earthquakes, signalling the death of the planet. The last humans were desperately searching for water, since all bodies of water disappeared deep underground in the shattered earth.
There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023 by using their fingers.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:12 pm UTC

1. The High Crusade by Poul Anderson.

Silas

Postby Silas » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:22 pm UTC

There was this Russian short story I had to read for one of my exams. It was about a student at the University who, for one of his exams, had been told to draw a map of the facilities. While he was drawing it, he spilled a drop of ink, and decided to embellish it into a picture of some lilac bushes. When he presented his map, the professor challenged its accuracy, complaining that there were no lilacs in that spot. The student, unwilling to admit his mistake, insists that there are, and tries to bluff his way through by inviting the examiner to come with him tomorrow and see. The obvious results ensue, and ultimately the student's wife enlists the groundskeeper's help to plant a stand of bushes overnight.

Anybody know what it's called, or who wrote it?
Felstaff wrote:Serves you goddamned right. I hope you're happy, Cake Ruiner

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:53 am UTC

Comic book.
Hero: Anthropomorphic Duck.
Setting: Gritty, stylized, somewhat sci-fi-eqsue. Often in an urban environment.
Had nice quality print, nice drawings.

I'd describe it as a dark and gritty take on Darkwing Duck. Took itself very seriously. Don't really remember much else, sadly. Vague plot elements. I think there was one story where people were being replaced by androids. I also have a vague recollection of an old destroyed building (or a greenhouse? lots of broken glass windows) overtaken by vegetation and someone (the villain?) reminiscing about what had been lost.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:50 am UTC

Surely you're not asking about the infamous Howard the Duck?

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:10 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Comic book.
Setting: Gritty, stylized, somewhat sci-fi-eqsue. Often in an urban environment.

I'd describe it as a dark and gritty take on Darkwing Duck. Took itself very seriously. Don't really remember much else, sadly. Vague plot elements. I think there was one story where people were being replaced by androids. I also have a vague recollection of an old destroyed building (or a greenhouse? lots of broken glass windows) overtaken by vegetation and someone (the villain?) reminiscing about what had been lost.

Stål-Kalle? I remember the greenhouse scene from that. There was (is?) a magazine dedicated to that character and it was gritty and good and my dad made me stop reading it by making 13-year-old me think it was 'childish'. :(

Edit: for non-Swedes: Paperinik, is his international name, apparently. An alter-ego of Donald Duck, from Italy.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Comic book.

Stål-Kalle? I remember the greenhouse scene from that. There was (is?) a magazine dedicated to that character and it was gritty and good and my dad made me stop reading it by making 13-year-old me think it was 'childish'. :(

Edit: for non-Swedes: Paperinik, is his international name, apparently. An alter-ego of Donald Duck, from Italy.

That lead me here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PKNA

Which seems to have been it.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Snowfox

Insanity Inducing Inability (to find a XKCD Strip)

Postby Snowfox » Thu May 05, 2011 10:44 am UTC

Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time writer, blah blah blah...

There's one XKCD strip that I really want to reference to a friend, but I can't find it. I've clicked through hundreds (literally) strips from multiple directions looking for it, as well as using search functions among other things. Here's what I remember from the strip.

A girl asks a guy why guys don't ever share their feelings. The guy then responds by sharing his feelings, which include his fear of the future and several personal fears. The strip then ends with the girl saying something along the lines of "I find you so unattractive right now".

At the moment, I'm beginning to question my sanity as I'm starting to think it never existed in the first place.

Thank you for your help! And I apologize if this is the wrong section, I couldn't find a place where it seemed these requests were usually made.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Re: Insanity Inducing Inability (to find a XKCD Strip)

Postby Kewangji » Thu May 05, 2011 11:51 am UTC

This does not sound like an xkcd strip I've read. You should search for it on the Internets as a whole. (Though I could just not remember it, I guess).

M1k3_Nix

Postby M1k3_Nix » Thu May 05, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

have to agree with Kewangji. Dont recognise this one im afraid.....and ive got http://dynamic.xkcd.com/random/comic/ as my home page

sad i know

-Mike
SlyReaper wrote:You shouldn't poke fun at a German's sense of humour like that. A German joke is no laughing matter.

"Simply because you can breathe, doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live"

diabolo

Postby diabolo » Thu May 05, 2011 9:06 pm UTC

Snowfox wrote:Thank you for your help!

You're welcome.
Spoiler:
from here

Snowfox

Postby Snowfox » Thu May 05, 2011 10:21 pm UTC

Thank you so much, Diabolo (and everyone else as well for the effort)! I must have misplaced it with xkcd due to the minimalistic design. Apologies to all for having got it mixed up in the first place. :oops:

T3CHN0CR4T

Postby T3CHN0CR4T » Mon May 09, 2011 10:38 am UTC

Anyone know what number the comic is with the trees? (The tree says something like "You've stumped me now" and the other one has a chainsaw.

:)
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon May 09, 2011 11:18 am UTC

T3CHN0CR4T wrote:Anyone know what number the comic is with the trees? (The tree says something like "You've stumped me now" and the other one has a chainsaw.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=xkcd%20stumped
First result.

T3CHN0CR4T

Postby T3CHN0CR4T » Mon May 09, 2011 11:21 am UTC

Haha you know that's the first time someone has LMGTFYed me. Thank you :D
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Mon May 09, 2011 11:24 am UTC

Kewangji wrote:
T3CHN0CR4T wrote:Anyone know what number the comic is with the trees? (The tree says something like "You've stumped me now" and the other one has a chainsaw.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=xkcd%20stumped
First result.

That is so cool! Where did you find it?
Sorry, that was just too easy...

T3CHN0CR4T

Postby T3CHN0CR4T » Mon May 09, 2011 11:25 am UTC

http://lmgtfy.com

Not sure, I've known about LMGTFY for years now, or at least it seems like years....

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon May 09, 2011 11:53 am UTC

Von Haus wrote:That is so cool! Where did you find it?
Sorry, that was just too easy...

I asked a silly question on a forum and someone linked me to it! :D

Höhöhöhö

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Mon May 09, 2011 12:02 pm UTC

I guess I was to subtle, I was hoping to get a LMGTFY for LMGTFY. :P Never mind.

T3CHN0CR4T

Postby T3CHN0CR4T » Mon May 09, 2011 12:14 pm UTC

Veni, Vidi, Vici

T3CHN0CR4T

Postby T3CHN0CR4T » Mon May 09, 2011 12:26 pm UTC

Just trying to remember another strip, not 100% sure if it was an XKCD comic or just a joke I heard somewhere though.

It's a science one where a student substitutes Potassium in place of 'Ok' or K. I found it quite funny and I googled it but couldn't find it...bet it's there, I'm just too tired to think straight and really should go to bed some time soon :(

Veni, Vidi, Vici

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon May 09, 2011 12:51 pm UTC

^
Kewangji wrote:This does not sound like an xkcd strip I've read. .

diabolo

Postby diabolo » Mon May 09, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

T3CHN0CR4T wrote:Just trying to remember another strip, not 100% sure if it was an XKCD comic or just a joke I heard somewhere though.

It's a science one where a student substitutes Potassium in place of 'Ok' or K. I found it quite funny and I googled it but couldn't find it...bet it's there, I'm just too tired to think straight and really should go to bed some time soon :(

Reminds me of this.

T3CHN0CR4T

Postby T3CHN0CR4T » Mon May 09, 2011 10:29 pm UTC

No I remember now it was a picture at least, if not a comic.

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Bufo_periglenes

Postby Bufo_periglenes » Sun May 15, 2011 5:29 am UTC

Silas wrote:There was this Russian short story I had to read for one of my exams. It was about a student at the University who, for one of his exams, had been told to draw a map of the facilities. While he was drawing it, he spilled a drop of ink, and decided to embellish it into a picture of some lilac bushes. When he presented his map, the professor challenged its accuracy, complaining that there were no lilacs in that spot. The student, unwilling to admit his mistake, insists that there are, and tries to bluff his way through by inviting the examiner to come with him tomorrow and see. The obvious results ensue, and ultimately the student's wife enlists the groundskeeper's help to plant a stand of bushes overnight.

Is it A Clump of Lilacs by Alexander Kuprin? http://worldlibrary.net/eBooks/WorldeBookLibrary.com/clumplil.htm
Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas. —Albert Einstein

Bufo_periglenes

Postby Bufo_periglenes » Thu May 19, 2011 10:08 pm UTC

yadayada wrote:This probably wont work but a very long time ago i remember listening to a book on tape (as in cassette tape) about the second comming of Jesus in an English boys boarding school. I'm not kidding, this actually what it was about, I only heared the first bit of it though and i'm really curiose about how it ends.
The main character is a kid in the school, i think it was all from his point of view. At the start of the story a new boy starts at the school, and at some stage while in a room alone with the main character has what appears to be an epileptic fit, when he wakes up he tells the protagonist that this is not the first time this has happened to him. According to the boy, during these fits he sees God, who speaks to him because he's the second comming, and this time around God has told him that the first person he sees when he wakes up will be his first apostle. The protagonist is sceptical but goes along wth it, that's about all I remember other then something about rugby, the school rugby star might have ended up the second apostle.
I have no idea whether or not the boy was delusional, just lying, or actually the son of god, if this sounds at all familiar to anyone, the title of the book would be greatly appreciated.

Could it possibly be The War of Jenkins' Ear by Michael Morpurgo?
http://216.194.176.32:8000/1/kcContent? ... =titlelist

(Non sequitur, apparently The War of Jenkins' Ear is a real historical conflict. What could they have been thinking?)

Bufo_periglenes

Postby Bufo_periglenes » Thu May 19, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

spupy wrote:2. Some aliens arrive on Earth. The interesting thing was that the aliens weren't the usual little green people - they had unusual and almost indescribable shapes.

Do any of these jog your memory?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fi ... otic_forms
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fi ... ing_aliens

In what language did you read the books originally?

Silas

Postby Silas » Fri May 27, 2011 8:49 pm UTC

Bufo_periglenes wrote:
Silas wrote:There was this Russian short story I had to read for one of my exams. ...

Is it A Clump of Lilacs by Alexander Kuprin? http://worldlibrary.net/eBooks/WorldeBookLibrary.com/clumplil.htm

It is! Thanks so much. This has been bugging me, on and off, for months.
Felstaff wrote:Serves you goddamned right. I hope you're happy, Cake Ruiner

Return to “Books”