I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

alphawolf29
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:05 am UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby alphawolf29 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:50 pm UTC

The title is archwizard or archmage or something similar, though I could be completely offbase.

One of the first books I ever read. It might even be a series. It's about a boy whose (parents were possibly killed?) and was cursed by something or other. He somehow ended up in a school for magic and over the years he grew to be a great wizard. Something terrible happened, I do not remember what. After that he travels the world constantly running from his past, literally. What's chasing him is some sort of negative plane version of himself that wishes the two to be one, that takes the form of a shadow.

It doesn't happen often, perhaps once every couple years. Every time he starts to get comfortable in a place, the shadow comes to consume him and he must run. Usually not literally, but sometimes this is the case. So inevitably he travels the world learning new magic while also running from the shadow. He is quite humble and does not speak much.

The only truly Identifying thing i remember (which I believe is from the book) is a part where he is learning shape-shifting magic, and the teacher warns him to not stay changed for long. The teacher continues to tell him a story about a simple man who learned the art of shape-shifting and enjoyed roaming the forest lands as a bear for hours at a time, and inevitably ended up not being able to turn back and eventually turned almost completely into a bear and wandered home and murdered and ate his family.

edit: Another thing came to me. He is visiting a great mage, and the two have nothing to drink wherever they are (A castle? maybe?) And the mage summons wine (Specifically wine I remember) and the mage goes on to describe the vintage, and that he stores it on top of a nearby mountain and simply summons it to him when he wishes to drink. Again, might not even be from the book.

I read the book ten or more years ago and It was basically the book that got me reading when i was young.

minehowe
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby minehowe » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:42 am UTC

That describes "A Wizard of Earthsea" by Ursula Le Guin, I think :)

ETA: It's the start of the Earthsea... quintet now, if I'm counting right, plus at least one collection of short stories based in the same world.

alphawolf29
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:05 am UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby alphawolf29 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

Wow, bang on. Wasen't 100% sure until the name "Ged" was mentioned. Thanks a ton. I'll have to reread the whole thing

ilikejuggling
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:31 am UTC

Online comic search

Postby ilikejuggling » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:36 am UTC

OK, so on this board a while ago I followed a link another online comic. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, and an hour on google has turned up nothing. I saw the last ever comic which chronicled the way that the author's life had changed over the years - she broke up with someone, got jobs, lost jobs, married a dude, realised she was bi-sexual, decided to retire etc. I also read an article about how the author got slammed for the way she depicted her sexuality in the comic - it seems like the comic was partly autobiographical.

Can anyone help me with the name of the comic? It's killing me here.

Cheers

User avatar
Elvish Pillager
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.
Contact:

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Elvish Pillager » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

Art style? Strip format?
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6276
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Jorpho » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:22 pm UTC

That reminds me: there's the graphic novel I posted about here. It started out as web-only but eventually got widely published. It had a realistic art style and told the story of a mideast war photographer. I think the title was some kind of photography pun. Any ideas?

EDIT: I have now learned in said thread that it was Shooting War. Carry on.
Last edited by Jorpho on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ilikejuggling
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:31 am UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby ilikejuggling » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:55 pm UTC

Elvish Pillager wrote:Art style? Strip format?


It was mostly black and white I think. The last comic was a long one chronicling the life of the author, but I think most were a few panels long.

That's probably the most I can tell you. I know the author ended up marrying one of her fans that she had traveled overseas to meet.

User avatar
cephalopod9
Posts: 2029
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:23 am UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:56 am UTC

Sounds like Dar
Image

ilikejuggling
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:31 am UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby ilikejuggling » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:16 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Sounds like Dar


Amazing. High fives for you!

Thanks

User avatar
Amarantha
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Amarantha » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:22 pm UTC

My Mum would like to find a book that she describes as "like Watership Down, but with owls". She can remember nothing about the title, author, character names etc. My Google-Fu has failed me. The details she could give me are:

* She read it about 20 years ago.

* From the various owl types included, she thinks it might be set in Great Britain or perhaps Europe.

* It described things from the owls' point of view, like how they see things whilst flying at night etc.

* There was a romance subplot in which a young owl fell in love with an owl of a different type.

Bonus thankyou points for anyone who can name this in time for Mother's Day (second Sunday in May here) :)
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

User avatar
Cahojama
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Cahojama » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:07 am UTC

I read a book a few years ago... And yes, I cant remember the title.

It started out with a guy who ended up winning a free trip into space, (In a timeframe about now, or 5-10 years in the future I think). through a series of events he ends up being the only passenger on this trip. Its basically go up, orbit a few times, weightless, woohoo go back down.

After they achieve a stable orbit the pilot ends up being killed, so hes left all alone AND no way to communicate with the outside world.So he finds a laptop and begins writing his memoirs, not knowing that through some computer wizadry his typing is being broadcast live, and eventually to the entire world.
Like I`m talking scrolling on news channels etc.


I dont know why, but this book just clicked with me. Stupid thing is I can remember damm near the entire thing, just not the author, title, cover art, or even library i got it from.

Argh.

Help please I really want to read it again, I hope its really as good as the memory I have of it.
Last edited by Cahojama on Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"There's a much simpler way of slowing time. You'll work it out eventually, and then wonder what all the fuss was about."

User avatar
PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:24 am UTC

This is Orbit by John Nance.
It was a good read. His other books are nice too.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

User avatar
Fin Archangel
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:42 am UTC
Location: in ur base, killing ur doodz
Contact:

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Fin Archangel » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:45 am UTC

I just had a recollection of this and it's really really bugging me. Wiki and google are no help.

A fantasy book, and I don't think a very popular one. It was definitely targeted toward teens/adults. I don't exactly remember the central conflict (probably slaying the dark lord or something) but I do remember the book started with the protagonist on some sort of prison/slave island and eventually escaping with a friend (maybe?). Before he goes he gets a couple of beryls that are worth a lot and stuff and then he goes off on his adventure. I don't exactly remember what happens but he ends up meeting a girl named Beryl and they have some quality time, then he goes off to do hero stuff again. Somewhere along the way Beryl gets ill/wounded or something...or maybe it was the other way around...anyway near the end one of them is dying and in a coma for several days and the other one doesn't come.

And ideas? The really only concrete thing is that there was a character named Beryl. :D and the beginning part.
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby PAstrychef » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:13 am UTC

Sounds like Wings of a Falcon by Cynthia Voigt. Could be one of her others in the same sequence-On Fortune's Wheel or Jackaroo, but I'm pretty sure it's Falcon.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

User avatar
Cahojama
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Cahojama » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:31 am UTC

Thank you muchly Pastrychef. I went and mananged to find it to today, and finished It already.

It WAS as good as I remembered, and so now I am happy.

:D
"There's a much simpler way of slowing time. You'll work it out eventually, and then wonder what all the fuss was about."

User avatar
Fin Archangel
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:42 am UTC
Location: in ur base, killing ur doodz
Contact:

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Fin Archangel » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:28 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:Sounds like Wings of a Falcon by Cynthia Voigt. Could be one of her others in the same sequence-On Fortune's Wheel or Jackaroo, but I'm pretty sure it's Falcon.


Oh my god, it is. And now I remember the rest of the series too! ♥
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Clockwork_Golem
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:31 pm UTC
Location: Optional

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Clockwork_Golem » Mon May 03, 2010 7:08 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:My Mum would like to find a book that she describes as "like Watership Down, but with owls". She can remember nothing about the title, author, character names etc. My Google-Fu has failed me. The details she could give me are:

* She read it about 20 years ago.

* From the various owl types included, she thinks it might be set in Great Britain or perhaps Europe.

* It described things from the owls' point of view, like how they see things whilst flying at night etc.

* There was a romance subplot in which a young owl fell in love with an owl of a different type.

Bonus thankyou points for anyone who can name this in time for Mother's Day (second Sunday in May here) :)

Possibly Don Conroy's On Silent Wings?

User avatar
Amarantha
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Amarantha » Wed May 05, 2010 5:00 am UTC

Clockwork_Golem wrote:Possibly Don Conroy's On Silent Wings?
Ooo, that might be it! I'll see if the bookstores have it. Thanks so much :)

Minos Yewman
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:03 pm UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Minos Yewman » Sun May 16, 2010 4:04 pm UTC

My school used to get proof copies of some books in order to see how much the target audience liked them. One of these was "Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief" (published in UK by Puffin/Penguin Books)

There was a second book that I remember the plot of and would very much like to read again. Unfortunately I cannot remember the name or author and I do not know if it ever was published (if it was chances are it was by puffin/penguin books)

The plot (as much as I can remember) was:
Spoiler:
There were three worlds that could be travelled between. There was a house in London that existed in all three worlds. A council type thing existed for a reason I can't remember. Anyway, something happened that meant the worlds needed saving (I believe the crisis was that the worlds would split so there were three planets orbiting the sun that would then rip themselves apart). Three children (one boy, one girl and one undecided - in the world he/she came from children didn't settle on genders until puberty). They were sent to collect three objects that would save the worlds although it was unknown what these objects were (they thought they knew what they were because the villain was on the council and had led them astray).
They went to the first world (from which the girl came) which was similar to the real world with London. However, the city was deserted except for some zombie things they defeated with a wrench they found on the tube. The object in this world was thought to be a ribbon thing but turned out to be the wrench.
The second world (from which the boy came) was snowy and had wars that conformed to rules (I think to avoid people dying). There were also dragons. They travelled to the dragons' cave because they thought the object was a dragon claw thing. I can't remember what it really was.
The third world (from which he/she came from) was mostly desert and there was a shortage of water. His/her mother was queen or something and had a prophetic dream (which was a common occurrence) saying that the best solution would be to drill into the water table. He/she was worried because this was the ONLY interpretation of his/her mother's dream and usually they had many possible meanings. The three children went to a place where the only food source in the world (some fruit - possibly apples) was grown. It turned out that the fruit was not the object and they returned back to the house without a third object.
Back at the house the traitor on the council (who was pretending she was in a vegetable state) revealed herself and became outraged to discover they had returned with the right objects after all (the third object being an empty hand). Her accomplice (I think - a man of some kind anyway) scattered her across worlds - effectively killing her. He then vanished and no trace of him could be found.
The book ended with the boy (name beginning with B I think- something like Brent?) being visited by the girl/boy (name beginning with C, three letters long AFAIK) who had decided on his/her gender. The book ended with him exclaiming "You're not a...you're a..." thus leaving the gender unresolved.


If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
El Spark
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:34 pm UTC
Location: Lower nowhere

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby El Spark » Mon May 17, 2010 1:14 pm UTC

Questors, by Joan Lennon
Check out my short horror story "No One Rents 203," available in Kindle and Nook formats.

Minos Yewman
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:03 pm UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Minos Yewman » Mon May 17, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

That's the one! Thank you SO much!

deathinlonging
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:29 pm UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby deathinlonging » Tue May 18, 2010 11:36 pm UTC

Okay. I have three books I'm looking for. I'd have answered some people's questions, but all the ones I knew got answered.

1. I remember some young adult novel about some boy or a boy and a girl, can't remember which, who goes back in time and finds a sword and is a berserker and has to protect the celtic civilization from a roman invasion. There is magic. Eventually a roman legion is teleported into some other time. He tries to leave back to his own time, but eventually ends up just about 50 years later, needing to save the world again. This time, he can't fight at all and is an empath, while the girl is the berserker. That's about all I remember. That, and it has Taliesin in it.

2. Some story about people who would go back in time to retrieve items for some kid or something who kept seeing them in story books. For example, they once went back in time to get a car, and another time went back to get a blue whale but instead ran into a kracken. Eventually the World Tree somehow got mixed up into the story and that's about all I remember.

3. The person who talked about this girl with an archeologist for a father reminded me of another story, where some girl is at some archeological dig and every chapter the book goes back to the viewpoint of a similar girl hundreds/thousands of years before who teaches the tribe she lives with something or another, and eventually the tribe goes on an exodus from the area. They live near the sea, and the tribe fishes, etc. I barely remember anything at all, I'm amazed I remember this much.

User avatar
somethingshiny
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 10:09 pm UTC
Location: new york <3

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby somethingshiny » Fri May 21, 2010 4:34 am UTC

I must say, this thread is genius.

And, for my own niggling works of fiction:

1. Tweens' fantasy book about this girl who wakes up one morning (maybe her birthday?) and there's this fabric crown on her pillow next to her, and she puts it on, ad goes outside, and ends up getting into some kind of alternate world/secret/something else. The only things I can clearly remember are the crown, and then a bench she sits on, and, at one point, she has to climb a ton of stairs to reach the top of something. Very specific, I know. It was actually a good book, if I could remember anything else...

2. Kid's fiction/fantasy book or series. There was this girl who moves in with her cousin/uncle/other relations, maybe a girl and boy near her own age, and a little-crazy uncle (Freddy, maybe?) I remember distinctly a bust of Thoreau that factored in heavily. And either a companion to the first book, or the same book, she marches to Washington to stop the building of a nuclear bomb. I recall clearly a scene where she opens the front door and instead of seeing normal things, sees white ash raining down like nuclear winter. This could be one book, or a series, or two books which are completely unrelated yet are linked in my memory.

minehowe
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby minehowe » Tue May 25, 2010 3:15 pm UTC

somethingshiny wrote:1. Tweens' fantasy book about this girl who wakes up one morning (maybe her birthday?) and there's this fabric crown on her pillow next to her, and she puts it on, ad goes outside, and ends up getting into some kind of alternate world/secret/something else. The only things I can clearly remember are the crown, and then a bench she sits on, and, at one point, she has to climb a ton of stairs to reach the top of something. Very specific, I know. It was actually a good book, if I could remember anything else...


And that's The Silver Crown by (I discover) Robert O'Brien :) I really enjoyed it when I was a kid.

User avatar
somethingshiny
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 10:09 pm UTC
Location: new york <3

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby somethingshiny » Thu May 27, 2010 9:25 am UTC

minehowe wrote:
somethingshiny wrote:1. Tweens' fantasy book about this girl who wakes up one morning (maybe her birthday?) and there's this fabric crown on her pillow next to her, and she puts it on, ad goes outside, and ends up getting into some kind of alternate world/secret/something else. The only things I can clearly remember are the crown, and then a bench she sits on, and, at one point, she has to climb a ton of stairs to reach the top of something. Very specific, I know. It was actually a good book, if I could remember anything else...


And that's The Silver Crown by (I discover) Robert O'Brien :) I really enjoyed it when I was a kid.

Oh man, that's the one. It was very dark, right, for a kids' fantasy book? Read it ages ago and so happy to find it again. Thanks!

minehowe
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby minehowe » Thu May 27, 2010 12:50 pm UTC

somethingshiny wrote:
minehowe wrote:And that's The Silver Crown by (I discover) Robert O'Brien :) I really enjoyed it when I was a kid.

Oh man, that's the one. It was very dark, right, for a kids' fantasy book? Read it ages ago and so happy to find it again. Thanks!


Yeah it was pretty dark, given that
Spoiler:
right at the start of the book her family are wiped out offstage.
That's the same author who wrote Z For Zachariah, one of the several books that fuelled my end-of-the-Cold-War fear of nuclear holocaust when I was a kid, so he seems to have form ;)

User avatar
Jar'O'Jam
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Thu May 27, 2010 2:11 pm UTC

Okay, I'm starting to feel the urge to re-read this book but, unfortunately, my copy is lost somewhere:

Basically, this is a story about a man, who works in an advertising agency of some sorts and he is friends with fairy-like people, who have limited magic powers, and can easily pose as kids due to their small height. The main plot revolves around two children of those fairy people being stolen by some goons by the request of the lady who owns some kind of chemical plant and is planning to run for governor or Senate, but fairy people keep writing letters to the papers telling how badly the plant pollutes the surrounding lands. At one moment the younger child gets to escape, so the older is transferred to some far away cabin, where she sort-of grows a bond with the kidnappers - one of them is a classical goof, who doesn't want to hurt the children and is a little bit scared of the small magic the girl can perform ( mostly illusions ). It all ends with a big event, where the man and the fairy people try to get the kidnapped girl back.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Image
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

User avatar
Jar'O'Jam
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:58 pm UTC

Jar'O'Jam wrote:Okay, I'm starting to feel the urge to re-read this book but, unfortunately, my copy is lost somewhere:

Basically, this is a story about a man, who works in an advertising agency of some sorts and he is friends with fairy-like people, who have limited magic powers, and can easily pose as kids due to their small height. The main plot revolves around two children of those fairy people being stolen by some goons by the request of the lady who owns some kind of chemical plant and is planning to run for governor or Senate, but fairy people keep writing letters to the papers telling how badly the plant pollutes the surrounding lands. At one moment the younger child gets to escape, so the older is transferred to some far away cabin, where she sort-of grows a bond with the kidnappers - one of them is a classical goof, who doesn't want to hurt the children and is a little bit scared of the small magic the girl can perform ( mostly illusions ). It all ends with a big event, where the man and the fairy people try to get the kidnapped girl back.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!


Still looking for this. Also, to justify the bump, here's a site for all of us in need of finding a book/story - http://www.whatsthatbook.com/
Image
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

User avatar
orinjuse
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 3:46 pm UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby orinjuse » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:09 am UTC

deathinlonging wrote:Okay. I have three books I'm looking for. I'd have answered some people's questions, but all the ones I knew got answered.

1. I remember some young adult novel about some boy or a boy and a girl, can't remember which, who goes back in time and finds a sword and is a berserker and has to protect the celtic civilization from a roman invasion. There is magic. Eventually a roman legion is teleported into some other time. He tries to leave back to his own time, but eventually ends up just about 50 years later, needing to save the world again. This time, he can't fight at all and is an empath, while the girl is the berserker. That's about all I remember. That, and it has Taliesin in it.

2. Some story about people who would go back in time to retrieve items for some kid or something who kept seeing them in story books. For example, they once went back in time to get a car, and another time went back to get a blue whale but instead ran into a kracken. Eventually the World Tree somehow got mixed up into the story and that's about all I remember.

3. The person who talked about this girl with an archeologist for a father reminded me of another story, where some girl is at some archeological dig and every chapter the book goes back to the viewpoint of a similar girl hundreds/thousands of years before who teaches the tribe she lives with something or another, and eventually the tribe goes on an exodus from the area. They live near the sea, and the tribe fishes, etc. I barely remember anything at all, I'm amazed I remember this much.


I don't know any of these, unfortunately, but the first one made me think of the stuff by Rosemary Sutcliff, who writes young-adult fiction about Roman Britain. I remember loving them as a kid, although I haven't read any in years. Maybe you'd like them?
“Most truths are so naked that people feel sorry for them and cover them up, at least a little bit.”
- Edward R. Murrow

User avatar
Fin Archangel
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:42 am UTC
Location: in ur base, killing ur doodz
Contact:

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Fin Archangel » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:05 am UTC

I can't really help you unfortunately, but...

This time, he can't fight at all and is an empath, while the girl is the berserker.


No, girl. YOU are the demons.
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Jar'O'Jam
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:40 pm UTC

Jar'O'Jam wrote:
Jar'O'Jam wrote:Okay, I'm starting to feel the urge to re-read this book but, unfortunately, my copy is lost somewhere:

Basically, this is a story about a man, who works in an advertising agency of some sorts and he is friends with fairy-like people, who have limited magic powers, and can easily pose as kids due to their small height. The main plot revolves around two children of those fairy people being stolen by some goons by the request of the lady who owns some kind of chemical plant and is planning to run for governor or Senate, but fairy people keep writing letters to the papers telling how badly the plant pollutes the surrounding lands. At one moment the younger child gets to escape, so the older is transferred to some far away cabin, where she sort-of grows a bond with the kidnappers - one of them is a classical goof, who doesn't want to hurt the children and is a little bit scared of the small magic the girl can perform ( mostly illusions ). It all ends with a big event, where the man and the fairy people try to get the kidnapped girl back.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!


Still looking for this. Also, to justify the bump, here's a site for all of us in need of finding a book/story - http://www.whatsthatbook.com/


And with the help of the mentioned website I've found what I was looking for - it's Jody Lynn Nye - Higher Mythology.
Image
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

mercutio_stencil
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:36 pm UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby mercutio_stencil » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:25 am UTC

There's a short story, I think by one of those classic science fiction authors about the network of telephone switches reaching the number of synapses in the human brain and then achieving sentience. The new entity starts by diverting power around and causing all sorts of blackouts. That's about all I have. Any ideas?
Last edited by mercutio_stencil on Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6276
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:24 pm UTC

mercutio_stencil wrote:There's a short story, I think by a reasonably well known author about the network of telephone switches reaching the number of synapses in the human brain and then achieving sentience. The new entity starts by diverting power around and causing all sorts of blackouts. That's about all I have. Any ideas?
Well, there's "Operator Assisted Calls Are Charged at a Higher Rate" from Metrognome, but aside from a sentient telephone network it barely matches your description.

User avatar
mipadi
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:01 pm UTC
Location: New York, USA
Contact:

Looking for title of sci-fi novel

Postby mipadi » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:06 pm UTC

I'm hoping that someone here can help me find a book.

Way back when I was in high school, I read a pretty cool science fiction novel that I picked up at my local library. Years later, I wanted to re-read it, but I could remember neither the title nor the author. I probably read the book almost ten years ago, and for the past 6-7 years I have been trying to figure out just what the heck I read so I can pick it up again.

My memory is hazy, but here's what I remember about the book:
  • The author's last name appeared near the beginning of the alphabet; I think it started with "B", but don't quote me on that. Could've been a "D", too. Or maybe something else entirely.
  • I think it maybe had a cover with a black background.
  • I barely remember the plot, but basically this guy -- I think he may have been a programmer -- worked at some place that I think did virtual reality -- kind of like a TV station, but for VR. He helped create a virtual world -- not as advanced as The Matrix, more like the Metaverse from Snow Crash, and it was more for entertainment than a "useful" purpose.
  • He somehow gets implicated in a murder (or maybe it was a set of murders, I can't remember). He didn't do it -- he was set up because he knew too much (I think the company he worked for was doing something nefarious). He gets pursued by the authorities and has to try to clear his name.
  • Somewhere along the way, he joins forces with this young woman who seems to know something about the crime.

I know that description is pretty vague but it's the best my decade-old memory of the book can muster. I'd be ecstatic if it's enough for someone here to point me in the right direction.

User avatar
orinjuse
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 3:46 pm UTC

Re: Looking for title of sci-fi novel

Postby orinjuse » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:38 am UTC

This definitely isn't a decade old, but it's the only thing I can think of that matched the plot description - Charles Stross' Halting State:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_State
“Most truths are so naked that people feel sorry for them and cover them up, at least a little bit.”
- Edward R. Murrow

User avatar
mipadi
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:01 pm UTC
Location: New York, USA
Contact:

Re: Looking for title of sci-fi novel

Postby mipadi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:16 pm UTC

orinjuse wrote:This definitely isn't a decade old, but it's the only thing I can think of that matched the plot description - Charles Stross' Halting State:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_State

Hm, yeah, that's too new. It may not have been quite 10 years ago, but I definitely read it before 2004, I know that much.

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6276
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:57 pm UTC

It's not eXistenZ, is it? There was a graphic novel made of that one.

User avatar
mipadi
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:01 pm UTC
Location: New York, USA
Contact:

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby mipadi » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:It's not eXistenZ, is it? There was a graphic novel made of that one.

No, that's not it.

User avatar
SiC
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 10:37 am UTC
Location: London

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby SiC » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:35 am UTC

This was a sci-fi series of books and I found it in a second hand book 15 odd years ago. So not a very recent one.

I don't really remember much of the plot, but it was set on a world that was divided up into hexagonal zones, each of which represented a planet/biosphere, there were weird different creatures in each zone.

There was a map showing the hexagonal zones at the beginning of the books.

Any thoughts?

User avatar
PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:37 pm UTC

Sounds like Jack Chalker and the Well of Souls series.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.


Return to “Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests