A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Bufo_periglenes

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby Bufo_periglenes » Fri May 27, 2011 11:39 pm UTC

Silas: You're welcome! =)

>>>>>
This has been bugging me incessantly since yesterday:

I remember one thing from this book. It's a minor plot point, but it's all I have. There's an office, probably government-run, and someone transfers to the office to work there from overseas. Due to overgrown bureaucracy, people at the office don't actually do a whole lot of work, but the new guy doesn't know that and is excited to get started. He writes (initially enthusiastic, then—I think—increasingly bemused) letters home to his wife.

I think, though I'm not sure, that the new guy is either German or American and working in Russia, or Russian and working in America. He might be a mathematician.

I keep thinking of satirical science fiction books (Mechasm—John Sladek; The Leaky Establishment—David Langford; The Tin Men—Michael Frayn) and of comical Russian books (The Golden Calf—Ilf & Petrov; short stories of Gogol; short stories of Sigizmund Khrzhizhanovsky), but none of them seem right.

Anybody? In the meantime, I'll be flipping through the above books to see if the character turns up.
Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas. —Albert Einstein

Malt

Postby Malt » Sun May 29, 2011 10:32 pm UTC

Okay, there's no category specifically for essays or satirical pieces, but I figured this would be the appropriate place to post it.

I read this work of satire last year that I cannot remember for the life of me. It was some sort of rant on the horrible drivers of the Miami area, and was originally published by a well-known columnist for the Miami Herald who I believe won a Pulitzer at some point during his career. I thought it was hysterical and wanted to pass it on to someone, but it would help if I could find it first. So, can anyone enlighten me?

Bufo_periglenes

Postby Bufo_periglenes » Mon May 30, 2011 12:57 am UTC

Malt wrote:Okay, there's no category specifically for essays or satirical pieces, but I figured this would be the appropriate place to post it.

I read this work of satire last year that I cannot remember for the life of me. It was some sort of rant on the horrible drivers of the Miami area, and was originally published by a well-known columnist for the Miami Herald who I believe won a Pulitzer at some point during his career. I thought it was hysterical and wanted to pass it on to someone, but it would help if I could find it first. So, can anyone enlighten me?

Could it perhaps be this?
http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/01/11/830169/sticking-it-to-bad-drivers.html
Seems to fit your description. Hope that helps!
Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas. —Albert Einstein

GTM

Trying to find an XKCD comic

Postby GTM » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

Didn't see to fit any other forum so I put it here.

It was a graph, I think, where it related age to how long it takes until you're married. Younger was longer, older was after watching wheel of fortune or something.

Ptolom

Re: Trying to find an XKCD comic

Postby Ptolom » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

http://xkcd.com/314/ is the only thing I can think of. No wheel of fortune mention though. We get so many people here who looking for a comic, which invariably isn't actually from xkcd.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:05 pm UTC

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0126527072 ... kcd.com%2F

Nothing for wheel of fortune in captions.

Very little for 'marriage' or 'married', and none of what's there matches your description.

Plus, my memory doesn't recall any comic like that you describe.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

GTM

Postby GTM » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

Then quite possibly it wasn't XKCD then. Thanks anyways!

EDIT: It might not have been wheel of fortune, it could have been checkers or something. Emphasis on or something.

It was something like, meet in high school, 5 years until marriage. Meet around 30s, 40s, marry in a year. Meet at an old folks home, marry after a game of checkers.

Or something

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:25 pm UTC

Everything with 'graph':

Nothing like what you described.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:49 pm UTC

Maybe it's an original idea! You should put it on a T-shirt and see if anybody sues.

GTM

Postby GTM » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:02 pm UTC

Right now I THINK it's spiked math, but I still can't find it.

Postby AvatarIII » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:26 pm UTC

GTM wrote:Then quite possibly it wasn't XKCD then. Thanks anyways!

EDIT: It might not have been wheel of fortune, it could have been checkers or something. Emphasis on or something.

It was something like, meet in high school, 5 years until marriage. Meet around 30s, 40s, marry in a year. Meet at an old folks home, marry after a game of checkers.

Or something

sounds like something Weiner would draw.

GTM

Postby GTM » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:16 pm UTC

Who's weiner >_>;

Dason

Postby Dason » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:37 pm UTC

double epsilon = -.0000001;

quantumcat42

Postby quantumcat42 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:39 pm UTC

So, something in the Oregonaut Story Talk Thread reminded me of a story or animation I read/saw a while back, and was wondering if it sounded familiar to anyone else?
quantumcat42 wrote:Wow, that reminds me so much of a comic (or, "graphic short story"?) (or possibly animation?). It's been a long time, I'm sketchy on the details... There's this family who's locked themselves down in a bunker to stay safe from zombies, but the teenage daughter goes out (to find her boyfriend?). She gets infected, but they let her back in anyway... and then it follows her POV as she turns, and from her perspective it looks like her family is actually turning into zombies? Is this ringing bells for anyone else? I really wish I could remember where I saw this, it's been like 4-5 years...

If it was an animation, it was done in a very graphic-novel-esque style... I'm also seeming to remember it was part of an anthology of similar stories?

Sound familiar to anyone else?

Ended

Postby Ended » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:01 pm UTC

@quantumcat - I think that's Shelter, which was an extra on the I Am Legend DVD, along with a few more shorts like it.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

emperorwal

Help me find comic

Postby emperorwal » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:21 pm UTC

There was an XKCD comic about a year ago and I'm trying to remember it. The gag as I recall was a list of scientific theories (like quantum mechanics and relativity) and how those theories were actually being used in real applications (like GPS and semiconductors). Can someone help me find the comic I'm thinking about?

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:02 am UTC

pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

A long, long time ago when I was a little kid, I once read a fantasy book, but I hardly recall anything about the story, nor can I recall the title. It was most likely very b-grade fantasy, but it annoys me that I can't remember what the book was.

IIRC the world had three major empires, with one being dark and more technological, possibly underground. One of the others had a glass castle, or something similar. I believe there was something to do with a sword or a rose, or both.

It's not much to go on. But does this ring a bell with anyone?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:32 pm UTC

Glass castle makes me think Locke Lamora's Lies, but that was fairly recently. And the rest fits … vaguely? Except for that underground thing.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:46 am UTC

No that's way too recent. I must have read it at least 15 years ago, possibly more. There's a reason I remember so little about it :) It might even have been a children's book, I honestly don't recall.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:23 am UTC

It wouldn't be The Third Magic, would it? I never read that myself, but gazing at the summary just now, it does involve a sword. And a glass tower. Dayum, how did I think of this?

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:56 pm UTC

Nope, afraid not.

late67

link to old xkcd

Postby late67 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:20 pm UTC

I remember a comic which had a user starting a forum thread, with epople responding to the topic. then he comes and changes the topic altogether, making the form funny. Can't find it so help appreciated in locating that particular comic.

thanks.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Re: link to old xkcd

Postby ConMan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:58 am UTC

late67 wrote:I remember a comic which had a user starting a forum thread, with epople responding to the topic. then he comes and changes the topic altogether, making the form funny. Can't find it so help appreciated in locating that particular comic.

thanks.

Just like how on House it's never lupus (except when it is), it's never an xkcd strip (except when it is, which I'm pretty sure it isn't). Besides that, I can't be of any more help.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:03 am UTC

I've been wondering about this one for so long, but only recently have I been bothered to come and ask the Fora. Basically, it was 3 books in one, with a bright orange cover, and involved 3 boys. One boy saves this old man somehow (brings him his walking stick) and the old man grants him 3 wishes. The boy ask for flight for himself, and some combined wishes for the other boys. Of course, they lose their powers and he gains them. The old man turns out to be Old Puck or something, the walking stick is someone else, theres a Mother Goose, the final battle (between him and the dragon, who is a major plot point) happens in a library, and although the kids were in a past styled world there was a girl who came over a mountain from the future.

Enough information? I'm sure I could dig up a few more dregs, but that's all I can get now, and should be enough to get the book if you know it. As for me, I'll go have a look myself. Also, I read it in the 00's, so no idea when it was written.

EDIT: There was also a train tunnel, and the dragon got stuck in it because it couldn't go backwards. As I said, a weird book.

quantumcat42

Postby quantumcat42 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:43 pm UTC

Ended wrote:@quantumcat - I think that's Shelter, which was an extra on the I Am Legend DVD, along with a few more shorts like it.
That's it, thanks!

NewYorker

content farms?

Postby NewYorker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:31 am UTC

I am trying to find an xkcd strip that comments on content farms but no luck. If someone can find it, please post the link.

Thanks.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Re: content farms?

Postby phlip » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:41 am UTC

I don't remember any xkcd strips on that topic, and the search doesn't reveal anything...

Are you sure you're not just misremembering a different comic?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

NewYorker

Postby NewYorker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

It's possible. Any ideas on who else would do that topic?

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:39 am UTC

Potentially, lots of people. Can you remember anything else about the comic - was it xkcd stick figure style, or something more elaborate? What kind of comment was it making on content farms? Any dialogue/text that you specifically remember?
pollywog wrote:

NewYorker

Postby NewYorker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:57 pm UTC

It was one large square with smaller figures inside it writing trivial and superficial articles for posting to that web site. I know I saw it recently although that doesn't mean the comic was a recent publication.

NewYorker

Postby NewYorker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:14 am UTC

I found it:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/07/17/opinion/sunday/20110717_McFadden_Cartoon.html

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:10 am UTC

Reminds me of one Doghouse Diaries one, but that related to Facebook, IIRC.

alphawolf29

Postby alphawolf29 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:37 am UTC

Hi, I'd like to know the name of a book (or series of books) I remember reading them while in various classes in grade 9 or 10. It is a series of about 2 or 3 books, though I don't think they relate directly to each other. (I believe the third book is about a distant relative of the character in the first two.) It was definitely a fantasy novel, very low fantasy.

Things I remember for sure: Main character started out as a small boy in a small Celtic type village, with other similar villages in the distance. There were strong druidic themes both in the religion of these people and throughout the whole. A large part of the book in the beginning focused around odd occurrences between the boy and the neighboring wildlands. I believe he received his first magic weapon (A dagger) after following a hurt deer into brambles, and being lost in a somewhat magical forest for days. He was maybe 12 or younger at the time.

As time went on the book just follows his normal life, until later (the boy maybe 16 at the time? or younger) I remember a very "Roman" culture invading his homelands and utterly devestating everyone. After this, the boy left his homelands and going to other lands conquered by these romans. His goal was to learn about these people, and how to defeat them. These "druidic" forces always followed him and helped him along (maybe coming in direct contact with them in the form of a mystical creature every few years.) I believe after awhile he even joined the "roman" army and in this way returned to his homeland, using his new knowledge and magical weapons, lead his people to defeat and drive away the "roman" armies.

It was a very good book and I'd like to re-read it. I can't remember much more, but maybe specific questions will help me remember?

edit: I remember for sure him receiving a shield and a dagger, and I think he also received a sword.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Could be The Crystal Cave, by Mary Stewart, which is a Merlin story set in Late Roman Britan. There are a few sequels, too.
Also possibly something by Rosemary Stutcliffe.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:40 am UTC

Does any superman fanatic know of a superman comic (recent, the new/newish superman, nothing old at all) which has a plot that has something to do with a little girl who is...alien or something, but has HUMONGOUS black eyes, and like no hair, and is generally ugly and scary, but someone (not superman himself I don't think?) found her in a basement and she reminded him of Nazi concentration camp victims so he kinda took her in?
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

El Spark

Postby El Spark » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:43 pm UTC

Cheezwhiz Jenkins wrote:Does any superman fanatic know of a superman comic (recent, the new/newish superman, nothing old at all) which has a plot that has something to do with a little girl who is...alien or something, but has HUMONGOUS black eyes, and like no hair, and is generally ugly and scary, but someone (not superman himself I don't think?) found her in a basement and she reminded him of Nazi concentration camp victims so he kinda took her in?

I remember that girl from Kurt Busiek's Marvels, but unless it's a different story I think you added some stuff in there.

Spoiler:
She was a mutant, living in a basement somewhere on her own at the start of the anti-mutant hysteria, and the MC (a photojournalist) took her in and gave her a place to stay for a little while. She ended up realizing that she was putting the family in danger and vanished into the night.

The cover

*edit* And a page on the girl herself.
Check out my short horror story "No One Rents 203," available in Kindle and Nook formats.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:26 pm UTC

I saw this comic posted on another forum ages ago and again on 4chan today. No identifying marks in the comic itself and Tineye can't identify it. No one on the other forum or 4chan knew where it was from. Anyone here know? I'd love to read more by the same author.

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:49 pm UTC

El Spark wrote:
Cheezwhiz Jenkins wrote:Does any superman fanatic know of a superman comic (recent, the new/newish superman, nothing old at all) which has a plot that has something to do with a little girl who is...alien or something, but has HUMONGOUS black eyes, and like no hair, and is generally ugly and scary, but someone (not superman himself I don't think?) found her in a basement and she reminded him of Nazi concentration camp victims so he kinda took her in?

I remember that girl from Kurt Busiek's Marvels, but unless it's a different story I think you added some stuff in there.

Spoiler:
She was a mutant, living in a basement somewhere on her own at the start of the anti-mutant hysteria, and the MC (a photojournalist) took her in and gave her a place to stay for a little while. She ended up realizing that she was putting the family in danger and vanished into the night.

The cover

*edit* And a page on the girl herself.

That's it EXACTLY! Thanks! Been driving me nuts for awhile. :D

I wonder how I came to add in extra bits. Silly memory!
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

MSQRD

T-Shirt Order

Postby MSQRD » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:24 pm UTC

Ok, I'm looking for a comic that went something like this:

200 smalls
70 mediums
10 larges
15 x-larges
and 500 xxls

then it said something like "pretty much every t-shirt order ever"

Can someone help me find it? (yes, I've tried googling and search the xkcd page) NOTE: I hate to admit, but this comic may not be xkcd, but I think it was!

Return to “Books”