I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

CHeMnISTe BOY

Re: Looking for a book, was rather disturbing, forgot name.

Postby CHeMnISTe BOY » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

Wikipedia has a section on the Columbine Massacre in modern culture. Maybe it's one of the books listed there.

EDIT: It looks like it could be Give a Boy a Gun by Todd Strasser.

miron721

Postby miron721 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

Yeah, I think that's the book. The character names even sound familiar. I'm going to check at the local library later today.
And I'm certainly off to a good start. First started topic and it's already been done. That thread should be merged with the Rules thread. I read through the entire thing first. And I didn't search because I figured there would be a ton of threads titled "What's the name of this book I was reading?"

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:06 am UTC

CHeMnISTe BOY wrote:EDIT: It looks like it could be Give a Boy a Gun by Todd Strasser.

Ahh, Todd Strasser. I think he may have been the one to introduce me to explicit sex scenes in literature. 'Nuff said.

Killy_mcgee

Re: Things you remember reading -Merged: Searching for a...

Postby Killy_mcgee » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:25 am UTC

Amalas wrote:Finally, a place that may actually help me figure out a short story I can't remember the name of.

One thing I know for sure is that is was the very first story in some sort of anthology of science fiction. The main character is a female computer scientist who does her hacking at home wearing only interesting t-shirts and panties. My husband has also read this story, but can't really offer any more details than that. Any ideas?

Please, I hope someone finds the name of this damn good book so I can read it too.
[insert random quote/ some stupid "bunny takes over world" thing.]
FUCK BUNNIES.

Jorpho

Re: Things you remember reading, but can't remeber the name of

Postby Jorpho » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:46 pm UTC

LoopQuantumGravity wrote:Ok, this one's going to sound kind of weird...

It was a science fiction story. Possibly a short story, or a choose your own adventure book. I don't remember. Humans are at war with some aliens, and a human pilot gets somehow (by other aliens?) put on a planet with the aliens who he's fighting. The aliens turn out to be these weird ball things. I believe there was also some kind of forcefield between them. That's all I can remember.

But I think about it every time I see that futurama episode with the bouncing ball aliens, and it's driving me crazy.

Wait a minute. Isn't this Journey to Terezor? There's no war, but the rest of it kinda sorta fits.

Stereo

Postby Stereo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:21 pm UTC

juliebee08 wrote:
The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:I read this story in grade school, about a couple of boys, one white and the other Native American, who get stranded/sent up into the northern wastes of Canada for a year, and have to survive on their own.
Have to do stuff like make their own house, at one point a bear almost kills one of them and the other almost dies running to save him.

Can't remember the author either. Help please?

yeah i read that. it's Far North by Will Hobbs

I thought it was Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat.

From the description in the original post, it could be either of these books. :|
Clarissa Explains It All, 7 pm (8 Central)

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:22 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
LoopQuantumGravity wrote:Ok, this one's going to sound kind of weird...

It was a science fiction story. Possibly a short story, or a choose your own adventure book. I don't remember. Humans are at war with some aliens, and a human pilot gets somehow (by other aliens?) put on a planet with the aliens who he's fighting. The aliens turn out to be these weird ball things. I believe there was also some kind of forcefield between them. That's all I can remember.

But I think about it every time I see that futurama episode with the bouncing ball aliens, and it's driving me crazy.

Wait a minute. Isn't this Journey to Terezor? There's no war, but the rest of it kinda sorta fits.

As I said before, it is definitely Arena.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Oops. I missed that. :oops:

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:32 am UTC

Stereo wrote:I thought it was Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat.

From the description in the original post, it could be either of these books. :|

Thank you! I'm pretty sure this is it.

Minchandre

Postby Minchandre » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

I remember reading a book a while ago, generic fantasy, that I really enjoyed. The only detail I recall, however, is that the nobles of the land were tendered with homosexual lovers to prevent them from dropping bastards everywhere. The main char is going to get married and complains to his companion about it, but then ends up loving his wife...I think his son becomes some sort of king?

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:59 pm UTC

Minchandre wrote:I remember reading a book a while ago, generic fantasy, that I really enjoyed. The only detail I recall, however, is that the nobles of the land were tendered with homosexual lovers to prevent them from dropping bastards everywhere. The main char is going to get married and complains to his companion about it, but then ends up loving his wife...I think his son becomes some sort of king?

No idea, but that sounds fairly interesting.
A silver spoon and a packet of sugar cubes are the artifacts of the ritual: the vajrakaliya, the cross, the blood of the lamb....
-The Amber Key

steewi

Postby steewi » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:04 am UTC

theamberkey wrote:
Minchandre wrote:I remember reading a book a while ago, generic fantasy, that I really enjoyed. The only detail I recall, however, is that the nobles of the land were tendered with homosexual lovers to prevent them from dropping bastards everywhere. The main char is going to get married and complains to his companion about it, but then ends up loving his wife...I think his son becomes some sort of king?

No idea, but that sounds fairly interesting.

Ditto here. I'm on the list of finding that an interesting concept, even if it is "generic fantasy".

Anri

Postby Anri » Sat May 03, 2008 9:20 am UTC

This book was about a Queen's bodyguard. There is a fire at the beginning, and I think it had a purple color.

kfish

Postby kfish » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:14 am UTC

Ah, I knew there had to be a thread like this somewhere on here :)

I'm trying to remember the author / title of a fantasy trilogy I read a few years back. It's set in a world without technology, as usual, and starts with a young girl landing on an island in a small boat. The island is the home of the Valkyrie, I think they were called, a race surrounded by mystery to the people from other areas. The Valkyrie is actually a holographic image (leprechaun-looking, in my mind) generated by a spaceship that crash-landed on the planet some time ago. The Valkyrie get young children every now and then and train them in magic by introducing a semi-sentient crystal into their minds, which gives them magic powers if they succeed in controlling it. The series is the usual good vs evil struggle for the world etc, I can't remember much about the plot.

Does this sound remotely familiar to anyone? The spaceship-medieval society convergence made me think of Margaret Weis and Pern, but I don't think it was her. I can't even remember if I enjoyed the books, it's just bugging me no end that I can't remember which ones they were! :)

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:36 am UTC

Hate to dredge up a dead thread but I have a book that just won’t let me live my life in peace. Anyway the basic premise was just after a war in the USA. One of the side effects of the war was the rebirth of magic and the main characters where either going from Georgia to New York or the other way around. That’s all I can really remember of the book.
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

Stereo

Postby Stereo » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:27 am UTC

Might as well try here.

The book revolves around a strange artifact, a stone cube with a hole in the side, found in ancient ruins (possibly Greek?) Further investigation reveals that there's a constant negative pressure at the hole, and it is somehow determined that there's a small black hole somehow trapped within the block. I think it was more of a thriller type of SF than a scientifically based one, thus life-threatening escapes etc.
Clarissa Explains It All, 7 pm (8 Central)

Alder

Postby Alder » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:32 am UTC

My dad's been searching for a book he read years ago:

It's about two brothers. There's a car crash or sometype accident and one of them nearly dies. One of them then goes on to become a spy. [He has a vague feeling that they were amushed by someone who killed their parents, and maybe the becoming a spy/agent was to find that person?]

He reckons he read it in 1967 or '68.

Any ideas?
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

Umm....I read a webcomic a while ago that had robots in it. There were two robot buddies living in a dystopia sort of future, and they have these special micro chips (illegal) that allow them to feel all these strange human emotions like love, and stuff like that? In one part they get shot down and land on Mars, a constant battlefield? And one of the friends drifts through space for 15 years or so,until the friend comes back as the leader of a biker gang? It might have had "Butter" in it's name somewhere? Anyone remember?
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

My turn to ask for some help.

First: webcomic. Started in 2005-2006 I believe, based on a demon lawyer that had to travel down to the depths of hell to clear up paperwork for souls and what not. Beautiful artwork, but have no idea if it's still going or not. The only other clue I have is that it once had a animated video about sharing and God in one of the newsposts.

Second: A collection of short stories by five sci-fi authors published before the 90s where they were all given one name of a person, euthanasia that had to be in the story, and told to go wild. I want to say it was published around 50s-70s, and all of them were famous authors for the time, but not sure. Second story held a "God-Machine," where the main character continually died and came back to life in different scenarios until he realized it was all part of an experiment and snaps himself back into the present, later commenting to his colleague that they'd need better controls on the device before they put someone under again, third was a story about euthanasia being a cover for stealing souls and selling them to alien races to implant in their warriors to fight and win battles, fourth involved being moved to a alternate universe/world after the euthanasia and finding out the main character is now a bird man, and last is a man that puts himself into euthanasia, survives, trains to become the perfect agent to assassinate an official due to some time travel by himself in order to stop the destruction of the human race. The official wipes out friendly alien contact, which in response causes them to send warships/prevents humans from advancing, etc. The third and fourth story may be switched around, fourth might be from a different collection, not sure.

Edit: You're thinking of Nine Planets Without Intelligent Life, Ramses.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:Edit: You're thinking of Nine Planets Without Intelligent Life, Ramses.

Hey, thanks man!

EDIT: What? One new comic? How often does this thing update? Never, apparently.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

Joker316

Searching for a book I read in Junior High School

Postby Joker316 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:17 am UTC

Hello all, this is my first post on this site, but I'm looking for a little help.

I read this book... god, around 12 years ago while i was in school, and have thought about it on occasion in recent years, and I cannot seem to remember a name, or author.

From what I can remember, There are 2 men stranded in the desert, I think in Nevada. and the main charachter is trying to stay alive against the other man, who has a gun.

It has been a long time, and is hard to remember much.

the main character had either fashoned, or had a slingshot, which he used I believe ball bearing in to defend himelf, and something I do remember is when they finally get to some civilization. The main character got their second, and the other man claimed he had been shot, but wasn't believed because they found the ball bearing imbedded in his skin.

May not be much to go on, but I'm hoping my description jogs someone's memory of this book.

Merg'd with existing topic.

ponzerelli

Postby ponzerelli » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:44 am UTC

An old teacher I had told me about this short story when we had been discussing Ayn Rand, but I can't remember the name of it.

Something about society making everyone equal, like a famous ballerina was made to wear heavy boots, and a guy who was the "epitome of mankind" was made to wear chains and a mask. Thats all I really remember. If anyone recognizes this please PM me! I would love to know. Thanks in advance.

Amalas

Postby Amalas » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:57 am UTC

ponzerelli wrote:An old teacher I had told me about this short story when we had been discussing Ayn Rand, but I can't remember the name of it.

Something about society making everyone equal, like a famous ballerina was made to wear heavy boots, and a guy who was the "epitome of mankind" was made to wear chains and a mask. Thats all I really remember. If anyone recognizes this please PM me! I would love to know. Thanks in advance.

My husband says it is "Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:10 am UTC

ponzerelli wrote:An old teacher I had told me about this short story when we had been discussing Ayn Rand, but I can't remember the name of it.

"Harrison Bergeron", by Kurt Vonnegut. Available in Welcome to the Monkey House. (I think we might even have done that one in this thread already.)

There is a movie, but the movie is Different.

EDIT: Gah, almost 15 minutes too late.

ponzerelli

Postby ponzerelli » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:14 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:(I think we might even have done that one in this thread already.)

Sorry about that. I only read the first page of the thread then skipped to the end. But thanks both of you, Jorpho and Amalas.

Snoof

Postby Snoof » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:57 am UTC

dbsmith wrote:Ok, some kids book (young adult i guess) about these ants or spiders and this kid had them in his room, but then they got out and starting attacking the neighbourhood and the queen ant was psychic....thats about it. Good luck!

I _believe_ it's called Mindbenders. Amazon suggests the author is Nicholas Fisk. And they were definitely ants.

I'm looking for a book which resembles After Man, except it had a specifically Australian focus. I remember one of the 'immediate future' species was a kind of superthornbush, and in the later sections it handled the 'Australia eventually crashing into Asia' thing. I _think_ I read it some time before 1996, but I could be a few years out either way.

Edited for new info.
Last edited by Snoof on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If I had a signature, you wouldn't be reading this.

kfish

Postby kfish » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:35 am UTC

kfish wrote:I'm trying to remember the author / title of a fantasy trilogy I read a few years back. It's set in a world without technology, as usual, and starts with a young girl landing on an island in a small boat. The island is the home of the Vaere, I think they were called, a race surrounded by mystery to the people from other areas. The Vaere is actually a holographic image (leprechaun-looking, in my mind) generated by a spaceship that crash-landed on the planet some time ago. The Vaere get young children every now and then and train them in magic by introducing a semi-sentient crystal into their minds, which gives them magic powers if they succeed in controlling it. The series is the usual good vs evil struggle for the world etc, I can't remember much about the plot.
Well, that was a terrible summary of the trilogy. I appear to be thinking of Janny Wurts' Cycle of Fire, not that you'd be able to tell. On the plus side, when I found the titles I was also reminded of the Wars of Light and Shadow series, which I read about the same time.

I'm off to the library to get out another 10 books or so, and remind myself whether I liked the series or not :)

BlackSails

Looking for a sci fi short story

Postby BlackSails » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

It involved a boy who got a toy sun kit for his birthday. He set it up, and made a football shaped sun. He broke the rule on not feeding it, and ends up making a black hole that eats the world.

Anyone know the title?

Snoof

Postby Snoof » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:31 am UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:First: webcomic. Started in 2005-2006 I believe, based on a demon lawyer that had to travel down to the depths of hell to clear up paperwork for souls and what not. Beautiful artwork, but have no idea if it's still going or not. The only other clue I have is that it once had a animated video about sharing and God in one of the newsposts.

Are you possibly thinking of Maxwell the Demon?
If I had a signature, you wouldn't be reading this.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:08 am UTC

No, sorry. I actually have that bookmarked away, although that hasn't updated in a while either... the artwork seemed more in place with a art gallery rather than any form of comic. Maybe some recent graphic novels, there might be comparable art.

If Chickens Were Purple...

Postby If Chickens Were Purple... » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:49 am UTC

Yo folks, I'm looking for a book too. I posted a thread about it because I'm an idiot, then I immediately saw this topic and deleted it. But I'm not awake enough right now to edit my original post to remove any traces of the "topic starter" format, so I'm going to just copy and paste the original. I hope that isn't a major problem for anyone.

Um, hello, I'm looking for a specific book but I don't know the title or author? And I thought maybe someone else does. It was a deeply ironic parody of a Pokémon game, either Ruby/Saphire or Gold/Silver, I don't know. I remember the first chapter was printed in an issue of NOM many many years ago, and I read it and I loved it and now I can't remember a damn thing about it. The concept is basically this: it's written in the first person from the point of view of the game's hero who despises the new area he's just moved to, where everyone says the same thing over and over when you talk to them and where people make a hobby out of capturing wild animals to make them kill each other and all that sort of stuff. The chapter ended with the guy deciding he was going to play along with "their sick little game" and declaring "I will catch them all". Oh my God, it was so brilliant, you have to believe me.

I've spent the past half hour failing to find it on Google and Amazon. I read it a long time ago, so I could be mistaken, and it could just have been a one-off feature in the magazine rather than an actual published book. But I don't think so. Anyway I'm scared I might never get to read it again, and that would be such a waste of my life.

domino14

looking for book about the fourth dimension

Postby domino14 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:03 am UTC

When I was little, I used to go to this summer camp and sometimes I'd go into the library and read this fiction book about the fourth dimension. I can't really remember too many details of it, but it mostly centered on a boy who somehow figured out how to "step" into the fourth dimension. I'm pretty sure there were higher dimensional monsters and he could only see them in 3-d cross sections. On one of his travels, I think he's forced to quickly get back into the third dimension, but when he gets back he has accidentally "flipped" (i.e. some sort of birthmark that was on his left side is on his right side). Also, I think he got to the fourth dimension by tying a rope to himself and somehow "stepping" into whatever that 4th orthogonal axis direction was. I have no idea how to search for this book, does anyone here recall reading something similar?

Random832

Search for YA science fiction book with "crystalline" plants

Postby Random832 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:46 am UTC

http://latewire.com/viewtopic.php?t=181

Something made me think of this book which, like this guy, I read back when I was in school, and I can't remember anything else about it - I literally remembered at first less than this. Does anyone know what the title is?

EDIT: Found it! Seeing this thread in my "View your posts" screen inspired me to do some more google searching... it's "The Green Book" by Jill Paton Walsh. I was glad to confirm that I remembered correctly
Spoiler:
that there turned out to be no problems with eating the flour
Last edited by Random832 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:46 am UTC

If Chickens Were Purple... wrote:Yo folks, I'm looking for a book too. I posted a thread about it because I'm an idiot, then I immediately saw this topic and deleted it. But I'm not awake enough right now to edit my original post to remove any traces of the "topic starter" format, so I'm going to just copy and paste the original. I hope that isn't a major problem for anyone.

I love you.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jorpho

Re: looking for book about the fourth dimension

Postby Jorpho » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:15 am UTC

domino14 wrote:When I was little, I used to go to this summer camp and sometimes I'd go into the library and read this fiction book about the fourth dimension. I can't really remember too many details of it, but it mostly centered on a boy who somehow figured out how to "step" into the fourth dimension. I'm pretty sure there were higher dimensional monsters and he could only see them in 3-d cross sections. On one of his travels, I think he's forced to quickly get back into the third dimension, but when he gets back he has accidentally "flipped" (i.e. some sort of birthmark that was on his left side is on his right side). Also, I think he got to the fourth dimension by tying a rope to himself and somehow "stepping" into whatever that 4th orthogonal axis direction was. I have no idea how to search for this book, does anyone here recall reading something similar?

Ooh! I know!

That's The Boy Who Reversed Himself, by Sleator.
http://www.amazon.com/Boy-Who-Reversed- ... 140389652/

It's reasonably clever, but a little confusing. I rather preferred Interstellar Pig.

domino14

Re: looking for book about the fourth dimension

Postby domino14 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:19 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
domino14 wrote:When I was little, I used to go to this summer camp and sometimes I'd go into the library and read this fiction book about the fourth dimension. I can't really remember too many details of it, but it mostly centered on a boy who somehow figured out how to "step" into the fourth dimension. I'm pretty sure there were higher dimensional monsters and he could only see them in 3-d cross sections. On one of his travels, I think he's forced to quickly get back into the third dimension, but when he gets back he has accidentally "flipped" (i.e. some sort of birthmark that was on his left side is on his right side). Also, I think he got to the fourth dimension by tying a rope to himself and somehow "stepping" into whatever that 4th orthogonal axis direction was. I have no idea how to search for this book, does anyone here recall reading something similar?

Ooh! I know!

That's The Boy Who Reversed Himself, by Sleator.
http://www.amazon.com/Boy-Who-Reversed- ... 140389652/

It's reasonably clever, but a little confusing. I rather preferred Interstellar Pig.

you rule! thank you

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

I'm trying to find a short story, about two scientists and a machine that can make anything that begins with the letter 'N'.

I think the author was Russian.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:08 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I'm trying to find a short story, about two scientists and a machine that can make anything that begins with the letter 'N'.

I think the author was Russian.

I think there was such a story in the Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem. Who is Polish.
EDIT: Or it could have been Robert Sheckley. Or maybe both have such stories.
Last edited by zombie_monkey on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SiC

Postby SiC » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:34 pm UTC

kwub wrote:When I was about nine or so I read this bizarre semi-horror children's fantasy novel (not exactly a large genre) relating the story of three (at least I think it was only three) English children who meet a unicorn and are given some sort of magical spear. The plot had to do with some alternate fantasy reality seeping into our world, and if I recall correctly there was a creepy Lovecraftian "black tentacled shadow being" creature of some kind growing in the darkness of earth as it emerged. Or something like that.
It was easily one of the strangest and most fascinating stories I've ever read, and no amount of Google searching has been sufficient to reveal anything about it.

Is that Elidor?
http://www.readingmatters.co.uk/book.php?id=10

AtomicLlama

Postby AtomicLlama » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:38 am UTC

AtomicLlama wrote:I'm trying to remember the name or author (actually, I'm more interested in the author) of a story about a man whose brain is kept alive in some sort of tank after he dies. The tank is in the home of the man's wife, and I think that the majority of the story is dialog between the wife and some visitors. At the start of the story you have no idea what is going on, only by the end do you figure out that they are talking about a brain in a tank. Sound familiar to anyone?

I finally figured it out! It's Vat '96 by Irvine Welsh!

I figured this out while reading the Wikipedia article on pegging. How strange is that?

Return to “Books”