Books that made you cry

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Minerva

Re: Books that made you cry

Postby Minerva » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:27 am UTC

This is a little embarrassing, but...

... I cried at the end of Billions and billions by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan.
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:25 am UTC

Oh man, I forgot that one completely. (I forget if and when I cried, but probably)
That is nothing to be embarassed about.

cheesemonkey

Postby cheesemonkey » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:48 pm UTC

steewi wrote:
cheesemonkey wrote:end of assassin's quest where

Spoiler:
where it just isnt how its supposed to be!!!! he's supposed to have found the elderlings and rescued them all and fitz is happy and everything!!! I blubbed in frustration for him

The end of Fool's Fate was worse for me, where
Spoiler:
the Fool leaves him, and that beautiful poem, and then those last three words of all that build up: "I am content." *cries*

ARGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! I cant believe you just spoiled the tawny man series (yes, i wikied it!) they're next on my list. are they as good as the assassin ones?

steewi

Postby steewi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:20 am UTC

cheesemonkey wrote:
steewi wrote:
cheesemonkey wrote:end of assassin's quest where

Spoiler:
where it just isnt how its supposed to be!!!! he's supposed to have found the elderlings and rescued them all and fitz is happy and everything!!! I blubbed in frustration for him

The end of Fool's Fate was worse for me, where
Spoiler:
the Fool leaves him, and that beautiful poem, and then those last three words of all that build up: "I am content." *cries*

ARGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! I cant believe you just spoiled the tawny man series (yes, i wikied it!) they're next on my list. are they as good as the assassin ones?

I did spoiler it. It's not my fault if you can't resist the temptation. They're as good as the Royal Assassin trilogy, but only if you don't mind a good dose of angst. They're chock full of angst.

cheesemonkey

Postby cheesemonkey » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:15 pm UTC

true. sorry for madness :oops:

AJR

Postby AJR » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:14 am UTC

Two that come to mind are:
The last story in The House at Pooh Corner (In which Christopher Robin and Pooh come to an enchanted place, and we leave them there) can get me teary-eyed, as long as any Disney versions are sufficiently far away.
Ways to Live Forever by Sally Nicholls* sets me off at the end, even though
Spoiler:
you know what's coming - on the second page Sam writes "By the time you read this, I will probably be dead"

I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of any right now.

*full disclosure: Sally is a friend of mine - I'm not trying to spam her book, this thread made me think of it.

Pseudoku

Postby Pseudoku » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:48 pm UTC

I'm not afraid to admit that the Petit Prince chokes me up a bit every time at the end.

Kesho

Postby Kesho » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:12 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:The end of Rise of Endymion, when:

Spoiler:
Aenea came back from a time paradox and her and Raul flew off ON EARTH!!! to be with one another for 2 years, knowing it would be their last and only.

Actually, Sol's story in Hyperion... Er, and the loneliness and helplessness of Severn's passing.

I haven't read Rise of Endymion yet (still on Endymion), but Sol's story was definitely tear-jerking. That one line, "It was her last or her first smile," just felt heartbreaking. It was even worse, when the next day in Bio, we watched a documentary on Tay-Sachs disease.
Something about Severn's death just didn't seem so bad to me. It felt almost inevitable and he still got to muck about in Core before passing on. I felt sad for Leigh Hunt though. He just seemed so confused.

A book that didn't make me cry, but made me depressed to the point of losing sleep was the Escapement, which is the ending to K.J. Parker's Engineer Trilogy.
Spoiler:
Ziani commits all of these terrible acts, to attempt to return to his homeland and his family. He more or less starts a war and destroys two entire nations, has the man who saved him executed, and orders what amounts to the genocide of 70,000 men, for love. Despite his actions, his motives are relatively pure. But in the end, his wife never loved him back, he can never return home, and has to live a lie. And, by the end, he gets so worn down that he just goes with it. I felt so angry and sad. The only consoling factors are that he still has his daughter and that Boioannes got what he deserved. Agh! I just couldn't sleep after that.

reversepsych

Postby reversepsych » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:53 am UTC

My Sister's Keeper
Spoiler:
When they think that Kate is going to die about halfway through the book, and the ending. How she writes that whole part with the poetry and everything, and the epilogue especially killed me.

The Amber Spyglass
Spoiler:
When Lyra and Will are separated.

Mortal Engines
Spoiler:
When Katherine Dies.

The Giver
Spoiler:
When they sled down the hill, and before that probably. I think this is the saddest book I've ever read.

VorpalSword

Postby VorpalSword » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:20 am UTC

How has no=one mentioned All Quiet on the Western Front? The way the war affects every character by
Spoiler:
KIlling his friends off one by one till even the main character dies right before the war ends

, especially
Spoiler:
When Katz dies as Paul is dragging him to safety and he doesn't even realize it

I'm not sure if I actually cried, but definitely some sadness there at the stupidity of it all.

In LOTR I though even worse than Frodo was
Spoiler:
legolas when the sound of gulls leaves him unable to find peace in the world, taking the joy out of his life on middle earth. The elves in general got a crappy deal, with the option to leave or fade away even if they won

Rachel Kaufman

Postby Rachel Kaufman » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

My plant of orange-lime :_)

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

Balalaika Gap wrote:
Malice wrote:
And I am even worse with animals dying. I haven't read the book, but in the movie
Spoiler:
I Am Legend, when the dog died,
I almost had to leave the theater. It took me a long time to get back to OK again.

YES.

For books, Time Traveler's Wife, Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, Bridge to Terabithia, almost anything by Orson Scott Card, most of the Narnia series.

wasabi1787

Postby wasabi1787 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:22 am UTC

more than anything else -

Stephen King's Bag of Bones

i threw the book across my room an refused to read it for 2 days. a friend of mine who borrowed it afterwards said he would have thrown it out the window of his parents car out in the middle of west texas had it not been my book.

but it is nonetheless my favorite book. by far.

BMW787

Postby BMW787 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

The end to The Green Mile

The Five People You Meet in Heaven made me bawl for the entire end of the book.

And I actually cried during the Ender saga mainly when
Spoiler:
Ender died. It was pretty sad.
"I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence." -Ricky Bobby

"Grow up and do coke like an adult." -Daniel Tosh

Colonel

Postby Colonel » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

wasabi1787 wrote:more than anything else -

Stephen King's Bag of Bones

i threw the book across my room an refused to read it for 2 days. a friend of mine who borrowed it afterwards said he would have thrown it out the window of his parents car out in the middle of west texas had it not been my book.

but it is nonetheless my favorite book. by far.

This.
I hate Stephen King. I hate him.

Banksy

Postby Banksy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:30 pm UTC

The series that has made me cry the most is Stephen King's The Dark Tower; but
Spoiler:
I cried most in Wizard and Glass, especially at Susan's death; and even more when he was tricked into shooting his own mother. The last book as well, Jake's death... Eddie's too :'(

Watchmen made me cry as well, but in a horrified way rather than a sad way when
Spoiler:
You finally grasp Ozymandias' plot; and see all of those scenes of Ney York with the monster and everyone is dead :'(

That's all I can think of now...

Edit: Completely forgot Bridge to Terabithia.... Spent literally hours before I could continue reading that.
But if anyone were ever to discover the meaning of life, all of space and time would collapse in on itself, and in the place that remained a large sign would appear saying:

Level 2.

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:40 am UTC

Nyssa wrote:The only book that ever made me cry was Where the Red Fern Grows. But I was nine, so that probably doesn't count.

Same here. Must have been around 4th grade, but yeah, the only book I can ever remember crying at...

but the end is sad... I mean, really really sad. Like, fry's dog futurama episode sad.

Guy_At_A_Keyboard
Location: The Herakleon Museum, if my avatar is to be believed

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:19 pm UTC

Several parts near the end of Catch-22, made me cry, especially in light of the humor pervading the whole book.

Spoiler:
Two words: Snowden's Secret

and
Spoiler:
The chapter in occupied Rome

and
Spoiler:
This isn't really a specific incident, but the point when I realized that almost everybody is dead.

peace cat

Postby peace cat » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:37 pm UTC

The Time Traveler's Wife turns me into a sobbing baby every time I read it.
Nothing to see here.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:13 am UTC

Perhaps slightly embarrassing, but the only book I can recall that made me cry was the end of Divided Allegiance - the second book in the Deed of Paksenarrion series by Elizabeth Moon.

Spoiler:
The series of letters at the end about the deterioration of Paks' life from reports heard by various marshals to the marshal-general is by far the most effective writing I've seen from Moon, and I'm a huge fan of hers for easy-reading scifi and fantasy.

But I'm sure there are others, and I'm just not remembering.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:03 am UTC

Adacore wrote:Perhaps slightly embarrassing, but the only book I can recall that made me cry was the end of Divided Allegiance - the second book in the Deed of Paksenarrion series by Elizabeth battle station.

That's no Elizabeth!
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

casiguapa

Postby casiguapa » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:11 am UTC

I'm so glad two people mentioned A Child Called It, that book haunts me to this day, even though I haven't read it in a year or so. Especially when
Spoiler:
Dave's mother locks him in the bathroom with the bucket full of ammonia and Clorox, and he starts describing the smell, the retching and how in order to try to breathe, he dipped his cleaning rag in toilet water.

but also when
Spoiler:
she makes him eat his baby brothers shit, straight from the diaper

That actually made me physically sick. And then I just bawled for hours and hours.

Other books that have made me cry include Jane Eyre
Spoiler:
when Helen dies with Jane in her arms

The others have all been mentioned here, Harry Potter, The Bible, We Need To Talk About Kevin, The Last Battle, The Catcher In The Rye, The Great Gatsby... all have made me weep.
<SugarTits> What's a penis?
<Casiguapa> Heisenberg

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Adacore wrote:Perhaps slightly embarrassing, but the only book I can recall that made me cry was the end of Divided Allegiance - the second book in the Deed of Paksenarrion series by Elizabeth battle station.

That's no Elizabeth!

rofl

BMW787

Postby BMW787 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

Banksy wrote:Watchmen made me cry as well, but in a horrified way rather than a sad way when
Spoiler:
You finally grasp Ozymandias' plot; and see all of those scenes of Ney York with the monster and everyone is dead :'(

Yeah watchmen made me cry as well when
Spoiler:
Hollis Mason was killed
"I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence." -Ricky Bobby

"Grow up and do coke like an adult." -Daniel Tosh

TiPerihelion

Postby TiPerihelion » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:45 am UTC

The Last Unicorn by Peter Beagle. It has a haunting sense of finality and inevitability at the end. I found the ending inexpressibly sad, though I don't know if it was meant to be.

The Man Who Fell to Earth by Walter Tevis, specifically when
Spoiler:
they blind him and he gives up his quest to save his people.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, during
Spoiler:
Catherine's hysterical scene with Heathcliff leading up to her death, and Heathcliff's deranged grief as he cries for Catherine's ghost to haunt him forever. Actually, there are several tear-worthy scenes, particularly after reading it once and going back over it.

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. The whole thing really made me want to cry. I cried with Billy Pilgrim over the horses.

I don't really keep track of books that make me cry, over and beyond feeling a sense of utter misery. So I say, ditto to Watership Down, Phantom, Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, LotR, the Ender saga (various parts), and Harry Potter.

I also may have cried at Peter Pan and A Separate Peace.

I haven't read Les Miz all the way through, but the musical certainly made me cry. I know practically the whole libretto by heart.

CPesyna

Postby CPesyna » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:47 am UTC

I can't believe that this managed to go on for >200 posts without anyone mentioning Night by Elie Wiesel. The book is incredibly beautiful, and the saddest thing I have ever read.

The part that made me cry was the scene in which...
Spoiler:
Juliek plays the Beethoven concerto as people are dying through the night.

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:50 am UTC

CPesyna wrote:I can't believe that this managed to go on for >200 posts without anyone mentioning Night by Elie Wiesel. The book is incredibly beautiful, and the saddest thing I have ever read.

Spoiler:

I have owned "Night" for two years. I keep not reading it because it looks so sad. I actually brought it on a trip with me planning on reading it (I was going to follow it up with a good Tom Robbins book), but couldn't bring myself to do it ...

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:45 am UTC

Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth did it for me. It's probably the only time I had to just leave a book alone because I couldn't handle it.

I eventually went back and finished it, and it was very good.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

spiers
Location: once i rose above the noise and confusion just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion

Postby spiers » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

The end of Great Expectation - out of sheer gratitude that I'd finished.

Malinowska

Postby Malinowska » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:22 am UTC

At the end of L'Oeuvre au noir, by Marguerite Yourcenar (Translated as The Abyss, sometimes as Zeno of Bruges). The Münster Rebellion, the Counter-Reform, the Black Death and a free-thinking scientist and philosopher at the end of the middle age and at the beginning of the Renaissance.

In the end, strangely, I felt like I lost a friend.
(I'm a little bit ashame)

Miro

Postby Miro » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:43 pm UTC

I feel kind of weird saying this, but the only book that made me cry was I cried reading was The Dark Tower and

Spoiler:
Eddie died.

I had been reading that series my entrie life, and while the last few books wern't the best I had ever read, I had connected with the above character more than any other.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:31 am UTC

The list is long, embarrassingly so.
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, all through the last few chapters, starting with the story about the tree. I'll say no more.
The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. The heartbreaking ending.
Spoiler:
Can you imagine realising that your best friend was a figment of your imagination and you'd just missed out on meeting your son, and then there's the truly miserable part of the ending...
Wonderful book, not going to reread it for a while.
Endgame by Samuel Beckett. So bleak that I almost regretted reading it for a while. Moped for a day and a half.
1984 by George Orwell. The Room 101 scene, read when I was 10.
Harry Potter 5
Spoiler:
when Harry's ripping apart Dumbledore's office, trying to deal with the idea that Sirius is gone

The end of The Amber Spyglass. Mythic "repair the world" endings are always so horribly unfair to romantic protagonists. See also Shade's Children by Garth Nix for proof, although that wasn't really tear-worthy.
The Life of Pi by Yann Martel. The twist at the end was like a punch in the nose. Genius.
There are more, I'm sure, but these are the ones I remember.

edit:
eekmeep wrote:
CPesyna wrote:I can't believe that this managed to go on for >200 posts without anyone mentioning Night by Elie Wiesel. The book is incredibly beautiful, and the saddest thing I have ever read.

Spoiler:

I have owned "Night" for two years. I keep not reading it because it looks so sad. I actually brought it on a trip with me planning on reading it (I was going to follow it up with a good Tom Robbins book), but couldn't bring myself to do it ...

Random info - my grandmother was related to Elie Wiesel, distantly. If you want to understand the experience of being in a concentration camp and you have a poetry kind of mind, you have to read it. If you're science minded, go for If This Is A Man by Primo Levi, another one that made me cry (Night didn't); Levi approaches the experience as though it's a huge social experiment. That is, in addition to expressing his rage, misery, etc. Incredible memoir.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

CPesyna

Postby CPesyna » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:52 pm UTC

I will second the suggestion of Primo Levi. I read that book (under the title "Survival in Auschwitz") about two years ago. I preferred "Night", but both are excellent.

There's a lot of really good prison literature out there: The House of the Dead (Dostoevsky, not Sega) and One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich come to mind.

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:42 am UTC

Thanks for the suggestions/insight. I just need to read "Night" and the other when I am prepared to be blue for a while.

The above comments reminded me of another book that made me cry ... "Maus," by Art Spiegelman.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:47 am UTC

eekmeep wrote:The above comments reminded me of another book that made me cry ... "Maus," by Art Spiegelman.
“I’m tired from talking, Richieu, and it’s enough stories for now...”

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:21 pm UTC

Maus is beautiful.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

annals

Postby annals » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:02 am UTC

Yes it is. I recently read part one of Maus for the first time (part two is in the mail). It made me cry, and I hate that I enjoyed the book. I felt like some kind of vulture feeding off others' misfortune to get my emotional (sad) buzz.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:20 am UTC

I cry when I read Catch-22. Mostly during the latter half of the book.
Spoiler:
Snowden's death is the worst part, but all the other horrible, stupid, totally preventable disasters make me cry too, like when McWatt accidentally kills Kid Sampson and then commits suicide.

I cry at 1984, when
Spoiler:
Julia and Winston are captured by the Thought Police, and when Winston loves Big Brother.

The funny thing is, though, I like reading these morbidly depressing books.

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:24 pm UTC

annals wrote:Yes it is. I recently read part one of Maus for the first time (part two is in the mail). It made me cry, and I hate that I enjoyed the book. I felt like some kind of vulture feeding off others' misfortune to get my emotional (sad) buzz.

It's fiction, so it's a victimless crime. ;)
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

Almost anything by Barbra Kingsolver-especially Pigs in Heaven.
But I can get caught up in a story and start crying just because, even if the book is nothing simple.
Lindsey Davies' Course of Honor about the Emperor Vespasian and his life-long love.
The end of The Dark Tower Series made me cry too,
Spoiler:
Tears of rage and frustration. Because King took the easy way out at the end, killing off characters right and left and then going right back to the beginning of Gunslinger.

I haven't read a book by him since.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Return to “Books”