Books that made you cry

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

smw543

Re: Books that made you cry

Postby smw543 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:07 pm UTC

Mzyxptlk wrote:
annals wrote:Yes it is. I recently read part one of Maus for the first time (part two is in the mail). It made me cry, and I hate that I enjoyed the book. I felt like some kind of vulture feeding off others' misfortune to get my emotional (sad) buzz.
It's fiction, so it's a victimless crime. ;)
Who told you that? The main things Maus is known for is the fact that it is a memoir in comic book form. In fact, damn near half the book is spent pondering the difficulty of keeping everything accurate.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Sun May 10, 2009 8:12 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:The list is long, embarrassingly so.
... sad books ...

edit:
eekmeep wrote:
CPesyna wrote:I can't believe that this managed to go on for >200 posts without anyone mentioning Night by Elie Wiesel. The book is incredibly beautiful, and the saddest thing I have ever read.

The part that made me cry was the scene in which...
Spoiler:
Juliek plays the Beethoven concerto as people are dying through the night.

I have owned "Night" for two years. I keep not reading it because it looks so sad. I actually brought it on a trip with me planning on reading it (I was going to follow it up with a good Tom Robbins book), but couldn't bring myself to do it ...

Random info - my grandmother was related to Elie Wiesel, distantly. If you want to understand the experience of being in a concentration camp and you have a poetry kind of mind, you have to read it. If you're science minded, go for If This Is A Man by Primo Levi, another one that made me cry (Night didn't); Levi approaches the experience as though it's a huge social experiment. That is, in addition to expressing his rage, misery, etc. Incredible memoir.

I finally read "Night." Didn't cry, I guess because it was so anguished throughout, there was no one particular point where I could just release it ... but I was in a deep blue funk for a while afterward ... amazingly beautifully written, and just phenomenal. I would have to suggest this be required reading for everyone on the planet. Beautiful from a literature perspective, terrifying and uplifting from a human one.

Gentlelady

Postby Gentlelady » Sun May 10, 2009 10:03 am UTC

cypherspace wrote: As did The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time..

This is an amazing book. I loved it.

Also Sunday's at Tiffany's made me cry.
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.

ssbookyu123

Postby ssbookyu123 » Sun May 24, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

For One More Day by Mitch Albom is a short read and kept me crying for half of it.

Mous

Postby Mous » Mon May 25, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

I think the only book I ever cried at the end at was Bridge to Terabithia, and that was quite a few years back...
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

steewi

Postby steewi » Wed May 27, 2009 5:26 am UTC

To Kill a Mockingbird just brought me to the edge with
Spoiler:
Scout and Jem's complete incomprehension of how Tom Robinson could be convicted. Their innocence and holy rage at it brings a sliver of hope back into the hatred of humanity that the rest of it brings me.

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Fri May 29, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

The endings of Blood Brothers, Harry Potter 7 and Of Mice And Men. I'm halfway through a book called BEC and I'm on the verge of tears.
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

GonzoMcFonzo

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Fri May 29, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

Not even an entire book, but a Short Story. Bicentennial Man by Issac Asimov. I get teary at the very end, every time.
JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:26 pm UTC

Pollyanna.

I was rereading it today, and just reading the first few pages got me sobbing.. that book makes me cry so much it's kind of ridiculous. :oops:
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

waffle flop

Postby waffle flop » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:03 am UTC

The Road and The Things They Carried really got the waterworks going for me. Many of the details were absolutely painful.

And you guys are gonna kill me for these, but I also cried in New Moon when
Spoiler:
Edward leaves Bella. Just keep in mind I went through nearly the same exact experience the previous day, minus the vampire shit. It was rough having unexpectedly to re-hash an emotionally charged and slightly dramatic nightmare again on paper. :|
It was very nearly traumatizing.

I cried again in Harry Potter 6 when
Spoiler:
Dumbledore died - he was the closest thing the a grand-pappy that I ever knew!
and again in Harry Potter 7 when
Spoiler:
Snape dies. However, that was when I read it the second time and knew what was coming.
It was so beautiful, and so sad.

:|

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

I got teary the second time I read American Gods. At the very start. The reason he gets out of prison, and going into his hometown to take care of that business.

It didn't affect me the first time I read it cause I didn't know Shadow that well.

And I cried when I read the green mile, at the end. And the bit at the end of catch-22 with the complete snowden story.

Didn't cry at the end of Harry Potter #6 though, cause I figured it was all part of the plan. Which it was.
uhhhh fuck.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:07 am UTC

First book I ever cried during was Briar's Book by Tamora Pierce. I claim rampant hormones, though. The Rosethorn thing really got to me for some reason.

The being said, the only book that has ever left me sobbing for nearly half an hour was Jodi Piccoult's My Sister's Keeper. I was bawling at the end of it, wracked with sobs. I know, completely cliche. The odd part was the thing that really set me off. I got to the end, and I was crying really hard. And then I read the interview at the back, where Piccoult said something along the linews of "This was the first of my books that my son read. I found him crying in the living room, and he wouldn't talk to me for days." And that was what made me really break down.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

red.

Postby red. » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:23 pm UTC

I don't remember exactly what it was at the time, but when I read Jessica by Bryce Courtenay a few years ago it just seemed like the most desperately tragic story. I spent a good bit of it sobbing. It really messed me up for a good few days.

I'm also a total sucker for books like The Horse Whisperer, The Notebook, any Jodi Picoult book... Towards the end of the last HP I was crying with joy.. When they are all fighting together.. *wipes tear*
I didn't cry when anyone died though. :|
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Fledermen64

Postby Fledermen64 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:12 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:The end of Rise of Endymion, when:

Spoiler:
Aenea came back from a time paradox and her and Raul flew off ON EARTH!!! to be with one another for 2 years, knowing it would be their last and only.

Actually, Sol's story in Hyperion... Er, and the loneliness and helplessness of Severn's passing.

Thats actually why im in this topic. Just finished reading that and will be looking for another emotional book when i finish my next 3.
"I just want to say before I do this that I have no idea what I'm doing and I love you all very dearly. Ok lets light this bitch and hope for the best"
-Myself before a homemade 4th of July fireworks extravaganza

Lepidoptera

Postby Lepidoptera » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:19 am UTC

The end of Hobb's Fool's Fate, when Fool leaves... " I have never been wise"
Terry Pratchett's Night Watch - Vetinari, Vimes, and the lilac.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:01 am UTC

I forgot to post in the thread for His Dark Materials. Oh, Jesus... the waterworks. IN PUBLIC.

Spoiler:
He found himself unable to see, but he let the hot tears flow and just held her close…

They held each other tightly. Minutes passed…

Finally the drew apart.

“Well,” said Lyra softly.

Everything about her in that moment was soft, and that was one of his favorite memories later on…

He kissed her again and again, and each kiss was nearer to the last one of all. This one got me so hard. I sobbed out loud in the middle of Starbucks.

Being cheerful starts now, Will thought as hard as he could, but it was like trying to hold a fighting wolf in his arms when it wanted to claw at his face and tear out his throat; nevertheless, he did it, and he thought no one could see the effort it cost him.

And he knew Lyra was doing the same, and that the tightness and strain in her smile were the signs of it.

Nevertheless, she smiled.

One last kiss, rushed and clumsy so that they banged cheekbones, and a tear from her eye was transferred to his face…and then Will began to close the window, and then it was done, the way was closed, Lyra was gone.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:34 am UTC

Tuesdays with Morrie and The Kite Runner. I get weepy every time.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:20 pm UTC

I don't usually cry when I read books but I bawled when I read Chinese Cinderella.
Spoiler:
I was reading it for class recently after my friend Catherine died and the bit where they pretty much give her duck to the dog set me off in the middle of an English class as well as when I read through it on my own.

I think I also cried/got close to crying a couple of times reading the Harry Potter series, but I am willing to admit that's just because I got a little fangirly over the books.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:40 am UTC

Teapot wrote:I don't usually cry when I read books but I bawled when I read Chinese Cinderella.
Spoiler:
I was reading it for class recently after my friend Catherine died and the bit where they pretty much give her duck to the dog set me off in the middle of an English class as well as when I read through it on my own.

I think I also cried/got close to crying a couple of times reading the Harry Potter series, but I am willing to admit that's just because I got a little fangirly over the books.

Oh, my condolences on the spoilered part :(

shainer

Postby shainer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:03 pm UTC

It was an Italian book, and maybe it's not known outside my country. It's called "Elianto", by a satirical Italian author (Stefano Benni).
Just a little explanation (not spoiler): There is this boy, in an absurd country, where you have to answer to a TV survey every day, and answer like the majority, to have electricity. He is very sick, and three friends start travelling in other Worlds in order to find the ingredients of a rare medicine; for there is a fight with the central government, and this boy is the only one who can defeat the champion (a frightening super-genius little boy).
After this long travel - and lots of adventures - they arrive in the final World, destroyed by weapons and indifference, in the caravan of an old woman who can make their medicine.
Here starts the spoiler:

Spoiler:
This old woman starts predicting them a "possible" future. One of them - called Honeymouth, a beautiful "warrior" with a little knife - would die of overdose, as a prostitute. The second girl - Iri - will realize her dreams, becoming a successful movie-maker, but she will be alone, with no friends, and thus she will commit suicide. The boy - Rangio - a very passionate guitarist who has been "blessed" with some special chords that nobody else knows by a dead guitarist, will sell his guitar, open a music store, and become a racist and intolerant man.

And here I started crying :D
Lisa
"What would humans be without love?"
"Rare".
-- Winners never talk about glorious victories, because they're the ones who see what the battlefield looks like afterward.

Atmosck

Postby Atmosck » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:13 am UTC

With the exception of fluorescent lighting, the only thing to ever make me weep (while breakups and deaths of relatives haven't), was when Boromir died.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:57 pm UTC

The last Bloom County Collection. I think it was called Happy Trails.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

nerdynunchucks

Postby nerdynunchucks » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:28 am UTC

Preview: Re: Books that made you cry
Ah, books that made me cry.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. All of them (1st and 2nd series) had at least one point where I cried. The Iliad when
Spoiler:
EDIT: Any hero died.

The Kite Runner, definitely made me get teary.

And as far as factual goes, there was a book I read called Elisabeth: Grand Duchess of Russia. Sad, sad book.

And (not to ramble) whenever I read one of the (many) accounts of how the last Tsar of Russia, Nicholas II, and his family died.

Alywait

Postby Alywait » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:39 am UTC

I cried in a few books,

Books by Guy Gavriel Kay always get me, including the Fionavar Tapestry, and Tigana.

I will echo the others in Where the Red Fern growns, but that was in grade school.

BlueNight

Postby BlueNight » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:49 am UTC

Watership Down scared me badly about four years back, when Fiver falls over, gives this utterly chilling prophecy, then ends with, "There's a dog in the woods." Until then, I had never had my eyes water from sheer terror.

I felt my eyes water while listening to a particularly poignant story in Librivox' collection of short SF stories that have passed into the public domain.

Ah. Now I remember.

I spent the years between 2001 and 2006 in two bad friendships with emotionally manipulative people with depression. I'm only just recently feeling like I'm recovering. At work, we have an unused back office with a door, and I like to eat lunch and read books in there. Sometimes I read them aloud, especially works that have emotional significance to me.

In 2007, I was reading aloud Zenna Henderson's SF anthology Pilgrimage, about a group of aliens who fled their dying planet, and crashed on Earth. They're almost identical to humans, except they have telekinesis, telepathy, and other gifts. It's spiritually themed, with the bond between The People as the main focus.

What got to me was the framing story between stories, about a young woman named Lea who has been so disappointed and hurt by the world that she walks out onto a bridge for the sole purpose of talking herself into jumping off it. (I had not been suicidal, but I had been very badly depressed.) The mirror between her feelings and mine was astounding, and it ripped open the emotional scabs of the past five years. I had to finish crying before I could go back to work.

"So after that the depths of futility became a refuge instead of something to run from, its negativeness almost comfortable in contrast to the positive horror of what living has become. But I can't take either one any more." She pushed herself upright and swallowed a sudden dry nausea. "The middle will be deeper," she thought. "Deep, swift, quiet, carrying me out of this intolerable--"

And as she walked she heard a small cry somewhere in the lostness inside her. "But I could have loved living so much! Why have I come to this pass?"

Shhh! the darkness said to the little voice. Shhh! Don't bother to think. It hurts. Haven't you found it hurts? You need never think again or breathe again past this next inhalation....

Lea's lungs filled slowly. The last breath! She started to slide across the concrete bridge railing into the darkness -- into finishedness -- into The End.

"You really don't want to." The laughing voice caught her like a splash of water across her face. "Besides, even if you did, you couldn't here. Maybe break a leg, but that's all." [...] Strong hands pulled her away from the railing and nudged her to a seat in a little concrete kiosk sort of thing.

It's all about belonging, and about a group of people who care so deeply they are willing to risk their lives for each other, and about innocence and joy and satisfaction. Having just spent five years as "friends" with two people who only cared about themselves, I ended up crying each day as I read more.
---------
BlueNight

axilog14

Postby axilog14 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:25 am UTC

Last book I remember that made me cry (or at least feel quite wistful) was Michel Houellebecq's The Possibility of an Island,
Spoiler:
right before Daniel24 died, which corresponded with the time Daniel1 either realized he was falling out of love with Isabelle or had just met Esther for the first time.

Cheesy, I know.
"Yes, my life is pathetic. But I still prefer it to the alternative!"

Heretical Mind

Postby Heretical Mind » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:18 pm UTC

NOT Steve wrote:Of Mice and Men, anyone?

That's the only book that's ever made me cry.
`Prophet!' said I, `thing of evil! - prophet still, if bird or devil! -
Whether tempter sent, or whether tempest tossed thee here ashore,
Is there - is there balm in Gilead? - tell me - tell me, I implore!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

I'm with parka on the end of the His Dark Materials trilogy, I think that was the first time a book actually got me all teary & weepy.

And the Time Traveler's Wife. 40 pages before the ending it was near-constant tears just streaming down my face. Good, but oh, my gosh, the ending was so incredibly sad.

cleverdan

Postby cleverdan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:09 pm UTC

I think I shed a couple of tears when Anna kills herself in Anna Karenina. Same with 1984, Animal Farm and Harry Potter though. I didn't cry, however, when I read My Sister's Keeper - I felt a bit more like it was an M Night Shamalyan film with a plot twist rather than something to cause me to cry.

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:26 pm UTC

cleverdan wrote:I think I shed a couple of tears when Anna kills herself in Anna Karenina.

Dammit, I just started that book. Way to go and ruin it for me, "clever" dan. lol
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

kapojinha wrote:
cleverdan wrote:I think I shed a couple of tears when Anna kills herself in Anna Karenina.

Dammit, I just started that book. Way to go and ruin it for me, "clever" dan. ¡This cheese is burning me!

See, that book is spoiled for me in something I read about an entirely different book (The Awakening). And I was pretty irritated.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

rpgamer

Postby rpgamer » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:01 am UTC

I cried a little at the end of The Ghost King, of the Drizzt series.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:36 am UTC

I was reading lists of examples of Tear-Jerking moments in books the other day (Crowning Moments of Sadness on a certain wiki) and sitting in a crowded lab at uni with tears running down my face. Just reminders of things like Sir Terry's Night Watch and bits of Hiromu Arakawa's Fullmetal Alchemist.

The most heart-wrenching book I've read, and the hardest (I had to put it down and walk away more than once) was a non-fiction book. Kay Redfield Jamison's Night Falls Fast: Understanding Suicide. The content was more than upsetting enough, but each chapter opened with a story of someone's end. Painful stuff.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

cleverdan

Postby cleverdan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:23 am UTC

kapojinha wrote:

Dammit, I just started that book. Way to go and ruin it for me, "clever" dan. ¡This cheese is burning me!

My bad. I was going to spoiler it, but I had always thought the book was renowned for her method of suicide. That's how it was introduced to me: someone handed me a copy and said: "Here, read this. It's great, she blanks herself under a blank."

PaleBlueDot

Postby PaleBlueDot » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:28 pm UTC

I only remember crying for one of these, but the others were vey emotionally effecting.
Fiction:

Whichever book in the Ender's Game series contains the part where
Spoiler:
Jane goes away
. It was a few years ago, and I can't remember which book it was, but I definitely cried. Alot.

Looking for Alaska. Especially "After". That was rough.

Non-Fiction:

And the Band Played On, when Gary Walsh dies. It's sad and beautiful and angering all at once. I may have cried.

P.S. In A Game of Thrones, I was more shocked than sad when
Spoiler:
they killed Ned.
I just couldn't believe it.
Last edited by PaleBlueDot on Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

You know, PaleBlueDot, not that I'm bothered so much about this, but these are pretty major spoilers you just posted. Maybe you should... you know... spoiler them?
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

PaleBlueDot

Postby PaleBlueDot » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:13 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:You know, PaleBlueDot, not that I'm bothered so much about this, but these are pretty major spoilers you just posted. Maybe you should... you know... spoiler them?

Sorry about that. I'm new, and I don't know how to spolier stuff.

P.S. How do I spoiler stuff?

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

Click on the edit button, and highlight the section relevant to the spoiler, and then click the "spoiler" button in the top bar of the reply/edit box. It should look like this:
The part in Ender's Game where
Spoiler:
Jane goes away.

Here's a guide to the fora for newbies, including a guide to using tags like these. It's useful reading.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

PaleBlueDot

Postby PaleBlueDot » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:08 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:Click on the edit button, and highlight the section relevant to the spoiler, and then click the "spoiler" button in the top bar of the reply/edit box. It should look like this:
The part in Ender's Game where
Spoiler:
Jane goes away.

Here's a guide to the fora for newbies, including a guide to using tags like these. It's useful reading.

Thanks.

Orla

Postby Orla » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Well, do you want the full list or just the short version? I am completely unaffected by anything in movies but books just make weepy. The most recent ones that made me cry were Ways to Live Forever by Sally Nicholls, The Thing With Finn by Tom Kelly, The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness, How I Live Now by Meg Roscoff, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne, Love Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. I am a fourteen year old girl so I'm allowed to read these things, by the way! Plus of course all my old favourites. Watership Down was the first book that made me really cry, I was about five and the end made me burst into tears at the kitchen table. The Ask and the Answer is pretty horrible for a young adult book.

Return to “Books”