Robert E. Howard - Conan Mythos

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Robert E. Howard - Conan Mythos

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

I apologize if a thread for this already exists, but I couldn't find one.

I'm currently The Coming of Conan the Cimmerean (or something like that), a collection of Conans adventures. I am shocked that this was not handed to me earlier. Written in the 30's, Howard DEFINES the Sword and Sorcery genre, and the swashbuckling awesome-itude makes my heart race.

I can't actually read this compilation for more then 30 minutes in a sitting, as I *need* to get up and run around, work out, do something violent, or take long, satisfying guzzles from a powerful liquor.

Conan is, by my perspective on the matter, the ultimate existentialist. He is an unstoppable, resourceful, curious, intelligent, fair, *civil* (but not civilized!) man, and every time he opens his mouth, I fall a little bit more under his spell. He believes in full, that a mans measure is in how hard he fights for his life and that that he cares for.

I'm curious if anyone else has read this work, has any thoughts on the man of deepest melancholies, and deepest mirth?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Adalwolf

Re: Robert E. Howard - Conan Mythos

Postby Adalwolf » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:12 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I apologize if a thread for this already exists, but I couldn't find one.

I'm currently The Coming of Conan the Cimmerean (or something like that), a collection of Conans adventures. I am shocked that this was not handed to me earlier. Written in the 30's, Howard DEFINES the Sword and Sorcery genre, and the swashbuckling awesome-itude makes my heart race.

I can't actually read this compilation for more then 30 minutes in a sitting, as I *need* to get up and run around, work out, do something violent, or take long, satisfying guzzles from a powerful liquor.

Conan is, by my perspective on the matter, the ultimate existentialist. He is an unstoppable, resourceful, curious, intelligent, fair, *civil* (but not civilized!) man, and every time he opens his mouth, I fall a little bit more under his spell. He believes in full, that a mans measure is in how hard he fights for his life and that that he cares for.

I'm curious if anyone else has read this work, has any thoughts on the man of deepest melancholies, and deepest mirth?

Conan. Fucking. Owns.
Live with passion. Die with passion.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:05 am UTC

My experience with the character is mostly through the Arnie movie and the recent comic series written by Kurt Busiek.

Also:

Izawwlgood wrote: ... The Coming of Conan the Cimmerean ...

That's what she said.

Izawwlgood wrote:Conan is, by my perspective on the matter, the ultimate existentialist. He is an unstoppable, resourceful, curious, intelligent, fair, *civil* (but not civilized!) man, and every time he opens his mouth, I fall a little bit more under his spell. He believes in full, that a mans measure is in how hard he fights for his life and that that he cares for.

...Now I must add this along with the two dozen other books on my "to read" list.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

Here's a starting point - Howard's Conan works that are in Public Domain.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

DarkKnightJared wrote:recent comic series written by Kurt Busiek.

I *think* that's the comic that got me into it as well. Just so you know, almost every comic story i've read of conan has been a direct adaptation of the stories Howard wrote, and the stories are at the very least, every bit as epic as the graphic interpretations.

I'm also seeing a HUGE amount of borrowed mythologies and mixing and matching, which is really fun to catch. Oh, Carnivorous vines! Sweet tits of Ishtar! Etc.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

TheStranger

Postby TheStranger » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

"The coming of Conan" is the first collection in a sequence publishing all of REH's works (Conan, Solomon Kane, Bram Mac Morn, and many of his associated works).

I started collecting as soon as the series came out, and have since devoured every scrap of his writings that I can get my hands on.
"To bow before the pressure of the ignorant is weakness."
Azalin Rex, Wizard-King of Darkon

Return to “Books”