Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
markstonia
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:11 pm UTC
Location: London

Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby markstonia » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:52 pm UTC

I don't know if this has been done before so if it has delete it.

Basically post a book that you wouldn't recommend to anyone, you must justify your reason.

Great expectations by Charles Dickens, Its too long and very boring.
Last edited by markstonia on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In the end everything boils down to prostitution and drugs

User avatar
SuperMii
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby SuperMii » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:02 pm UTC

i wouldnt recomend, Goldy locks and the three bears.
The Time Is Up,

How About Walking Backwards,

How About Not,

How About I Throw A Cream Pie In Your Face?? Huh Huh!!

User avatar
Trumpkin
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:22 pm UTC
Location: Universe

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Trumpkin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:08 pm UTC

A tale of two cities. When you read it you know stuff is happening but you have no idea what since he's harder to understand than Shakespeare.
Washington: You have to be the most immature soldiers I've ever met.
Grif: Your face is immature.
Washington: Shut up!

Paranatural
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:16 pm UTC

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Paranatural » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:11 pm UTC

markstonia wrote:Basically post a book that you wouldn't recommend to anyone, you must justify your reason.

Great expectations by Charles Dickens, Its too long and very boring.


Agreed. Plus the story itself was really rather dreadful and not even remotely entertaining.

Robert Asprin's books after Jodi Lynn Nye started 'Co-writing' with him. He wrote some awesome books, but ultimately he was depressed and an alcoholic. He didn't want to write any more of the myth or phule series, he wanted to write detective type stories, but his publisher wouldn't listen to him. So he missed deadlines and had issues with the IRS and was eventually stuck with Jodi Nye, and the whole series went to hell in a handbasket.

User avatar
Trumpkin
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:22 pm UTC
Location: Universe

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Trumpkin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:27 pm UTC

Twilight, I haven't read it but the evidence against it is overwhelming.
Washington: You have to be the most immature soldiers I've ever met.
Grif: Your face is immature.
Washington: Shut up!

User avatar
Narsil
Ask me about my junk!
Posts: 2995
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:59 pm UTC
Location: Columbus.

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Narsil » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:46 pm UTC

Eragon. Have read it and the evidence against that is even more whelming.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

User avatar
Garm
Posts: 2241
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:29 pm UTC
Location: Usually at work. Otherwise, Longmont, CO.

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Garm » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:37 pm UTC

I wouldn't recommend the Sword of Shannara series to anyone. Terrible. Awful books. Brooks is such a hack.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

User avatar
tmcfulton
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:12 pm UTC
Location: Toronto

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby tmcfulton » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:38 pm UTC

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. Terrible, terrible book.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26531
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:40 pm UTC

The Sword of Truth series, the Wheel of Time series...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Trumpkin
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:22 pm UTC
Location: Universe

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Trumpkin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

My maths book because it's broken.
Washington: You have to be the most immature soldiers I've ever met.
Grif: Your face is immature.
Washington: Shut up!

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26531
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:51 pm UTC

Er... wha?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Trumpkin
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:22 pm UTC
Location: Universe

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Trumpkin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:53 pm UTC

I gave a book and I gave a reason so it's better then your post non-reason giver.
Washington: You have to be the most immature soldiers I've ever met.
Grif: Your face is immature.
Washington: Shut up!

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26531
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

Fair enough.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Midnight » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The Sword of Truth series


I recommended the first one as a standalone novel, and feel bad that I've wasted a significant number of hours reading all the other ones. Especially that seventh one where it had random characters that didn't matter to the story, for a whole bloody 800 pages.


I second Great Expectations, and would like to add Romeo and Juliet, because a) both of the titular characters are creepy and obsessed and 14 years old, and b) macbeth, hamlet, king lear--they're all better than R&J.
uhhhh fuck.

User avatar
Luthen
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:42 am UTC
Location: Dealing with xkcdian immigration
Contact:

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Luthen » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:09 am UTC

Narsil wrote:Eragon. Have read it and the evidence against that is even more whelming.
I disagree, sometimes people need to read trashy fantasy.

However, Brisngr (or however it's spelt) is only good as an insomnia cure.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

User avatar
teamcorndog
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:15 pm UTC
Location: Q4

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby teamcorndog » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:11 am UTC

"Last Exit to Brooklyn" - because it's overwhelmingly depressing and bleak and, in my opinion, has no redeeming qualities.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby phlip » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:55 am UTC

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Joeldi
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:49 am UTC
Location: Central Queensland, Australia
Contact:

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Joeldi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:07 am UTC

The Key to The Kingdom series. I like them, but I don't think anyone else I know would.

Also: Haha, isn't OP the guy who went nuts in the Twilight thread? Hi, didn't know you'd be hanging around. Hope you enjoy your stay
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

User avatar
Luthen
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:42 am UTC
Location: Dealing with xkcdian immigration
Contact:

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Luthen » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:39 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:The Key to The Kingdom series. I like them, but I don't think anyone else I know would.
They're not that bad, however the cliffhanger at the end of the latest was a kick to the groin.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

User avatar
markstonia
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:11 pm UTC
Location: London

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby markstonia » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:24 am UTC

I also wouldn't recommend Inspecter Calls although its a play its a novel as well and its awful.
In the end everything boils down to prostitution and drugs

User avatar
Clumpy
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:48 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Clumpy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:41 am UTC

Man man man man man I wish I hadn't recommended Dave Barry's Big Trouble to one of my friends. Don't get me wrong - we both enjoyed that book very much. But then she decided to read his follow-up Tricky Business and it made her physically ill. Seriously - some pretty twisted stuff in that book. (Though she's a sensitive type, bless her heart.)

Trumpkin wrote:I gave a book and I gave a reason so it's better then your post non-reason giver.

SecondTalon wrote:Fair enough.


Makes me wish I'd called a respected mod out in a humorous way when I was new. Now I have no excuse, ST's courtesy notwithstanding.

User avatar
netcrusher88
Posts: 2166
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:35 pm UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby netcrusher88 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:54 am UTC

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctrow. I can't put my finger on what exactly but I didn't like it. I think I found the concept of expanding the societal trait of people considering the impact on how other people look at them before doing anything ad nauseum somewhat... nauseating.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

masher
Posts: 821
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:07 pm UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby masher » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:15 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote: the Wheel of Time series...

:( I quite like that series, and I'm currently going through my first reread of the series...

.

I can't recommend Cloudstreet by Tim Winton. Bunch o' crap.

User avatar
Mmmm, Pi
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:14 am UTC
Location: Brumland, UK

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:22 am UTC

The only discworld book that I hated, Eric by Terry Prachett. It's his shortest, and it's his worse. So boring and the plot really doesn't go anywhere.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26531
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:51 pm UTC

Clumpy wrote:
Trumpkin wrote:I gave a book and I gave a reason so it's better then your post non-reason giver.
SecondTalon wrote:Fair enough.
Makes me wish I'd called a respected mod out in a humorous way when I was new. Now I have no excuse, ST's courtesy notwithstanding.
Respected Mod? Where?! Shit! I gotta look busy.. quick, someone spam something!*



*Yes, I'm kidding.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Trumpkin
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:22 pm UTC
Location: Universe

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Trumpkin » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

Twilight: The book of the film
I came across people looking at it and when I saw a random page I looked at the picture and thought what a bunch of emos! (the people in the picture, the ones who owned the book I'm not sure about) Being my tactful self, I then said those exact words out loud for all Twilight admirers and critics nearby to hear. The fact that you just look and see emos at a glance is clear evidence to dislike the book. Not to mention it's Twilight related.
Washington: You have to be the most immature soldiers I've ever met.
Grif: Your face is immature.
Washington: Shut up!

User avatar
teamcorndog
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:15 pm UTC
Location: Q4

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby teamcorndog » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:42 am UTC

Trumpkin wrote:Twilight: The book of the film
I came across people looking at it and when I saw a random page I looked at the picture and thought what a bunch of emos! (the people in the picture, the ones who owned the book I'm not sure about) Being my tactful self, I then said those exact words out loud for all Twilight admirers and critics nearby to hear. The fact that you just look and see emos at a glance is clear evidence to dislike the book. Not to mention it's Twilight related.


So...you...haven't read it? You wouldn't recommend a book to someone because you hate emos and everything they like? That's not very helpful. Tell us more about your math book instead ;)

User avatar
Zak
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:25 am UTC
Location: In the making.

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Zak » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:29 am UTC

Trumpkin wrote:A tale of two cities. When you read it you know stuff is happening but you have no idea what since he's harder to understand than Shakespeare.
You fail.
A Tale of Two Cities is great.
*waggles eyebrows*

User avatar
markstonia
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:11 pm UTC
Location: London

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby markstonia » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:58 am UTC

Trumpkin post useful stuff, like things you have read but don't like. Not just things you have seen.
In the end everything boils down to prostitution and drugs

User avatar
Zak
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:25 am UTC
Location: In the making.

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Zak » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:02 am UTC

Hey look! It even talks like a real troll!
*waggles eyebrows*

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby 22/7 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:53 pm UTC

Frankenstein. Read it in high school and was constantly frustrated with how nobody in the book acted in a believable manner. Not only that, but the manner in which they are unbelievable isn't even consistent. At some point, I was asked to write something about the book (I can't remember the actual nature of the assignment) and it basically became a laundry list of things wrong with the book (but in essay form, I'm sure. Everything is in essay form in high school). I wonder what kind of grade I got on that...
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

darwinwins
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:56 am UTC
Location: the bible belt (of death)
Contact:

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby darwinwins » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:03 am UTC

the alchemist. contrived and a blatant rip-off of the little prince.

and great expectations was fucking great. characters you root for, some you wish real harm, but a very engaging story throughout.
"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami

User avatar
Clumpy
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:48 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Clumpy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:24 am UTC

teamcorndog wrote:
Trumpkin wrote:Twilight: The book of the film
I came across people looking at it and when I saw a random page I looked at the picture and thought what a bunch of emos! (the people in the picture, the ones who owned the book I'm not sure about) Being my tactful self, I then said those exact words out loud for all Twilight admirers and critics nearby to hear. The fact that you just look and see emos at a glance is clear evidence to dislike the book. Not to mention it's Twilight related.


So...you...haven't read it? You wouldn't recommend a book to someone because you hate emos and everything they like? That's not very helpful. Tell us more about your math book instead ;)


I think he's referring to a book made up of stills and "behind the scenes" stuff from the film - meaning that the emos were the actors, not the people holding the book.

User avatar
Trumpkin
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:22 pm UTC
Location: Universe

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Trumpkin » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:50 am UTC

Perhaps I should mention that the beginning post says to say books you wouldn't recommend and why. Nothing is said about reading the book, after all I already mentioned I hadn't read Twilight or the book of the film but they're books and there were reasons I wouldn't recommend them which made them post worthy. Clumpy, you are half-right about the actors, I was referring to the characters because their make-up made them look like emos.
Washington: You have to be the most immature soldiers I've ever met.
Grif: Your face is immature.
Washington: Shut up!

kha-khees
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:27 am UTC

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby kha-khees » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:32 am UTC

Luthen wrote:
Joeldi wrote:The Key to The Kingdom series. I like them, but I don't think anyone else I know would.
They're not that bad, however the cliffhanger at the end of the latest was a kick to the groin.


I haven't read friday/saturday yet... (I might have read friday I can't actually remember :X)
I enjoy them. I also liked his (Garth nix) sabriel series.

On topic: I can't recommend many books at all to my friends, few of them read (for fun anyway), and they're not so into science fiction and fantasy.

User avatar
Orca
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:44 am UTC
Location: Sea

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Orca » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

I would not recommend a Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. One of those classics that everyone seems to think is great, but personally I never found it to be a particularly great book. I understood all of the metaphors and analogies but it seems a bit dull for my taste and just an experiment.
If you start an argument over whether "they" "them" and "their" can be used as gender neutral singular pronouns, in this thread, I will do terrible, terrible things to you.
-Belial

User avatar
Amnesiasoft
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 am UTC
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:20 am UTC

Stealing my post from the "Books you had to read for school that you could not stand" thread.

Cry the Beloved Country. That book was like Tale of Two Cities, only more boring.

GeorgeYoung
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:23 pm UTC

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby GeorgeYoung » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:53 pm UTC

tmcfulton wrote:We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. Terrible, terrible book.


Considering your avatar, I think I'll go and read that book now, I heard of it before but now I will go and find it.

User avatar
semicharmed
Posts: 911
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby semicharmed » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:54 pm UTC

The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl. Poorly written, stilted, and a slog to read.
Thinking about it, there's not that many books that I've read and then finished reading, and then found to be not worthy of recommending. Not all books are for everyone, but The Dante Club is the only one I can think of that I'd actively recommend not reading.

gibberishtwist
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:19 am UTC

Re: Books you wouldn't recommend to a friend

Postby gibberishtwist » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:44 pm UTC

.
Last edited by gibberishtwist on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us."Image


Return to “Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests