Seldom
24%
Never
24%

Total votes: 91

Lissa

Reading while walking

Postby Lissa » Wed May 13, 2009 2:15 pm UTC

I usually read on the subway, and I often keep reading while I walk from the subway to my destination. As long as I keep an eye out for cars, people and while going down stairs, it works out fine. I do get some strange looks though.
So I was just wondering: Do any of you keep reading your book while you are walking somewhere?

Baza210

Re: Reading while walking

Postby Baza210 » Wed May 13, 2009 2:24 pm UTC

Yeah, I walk n read occasionally on my way home from the tram stop. The road's pretty quiet though, so it's not quite as dangerous as if I were walking around the city centre. Heck, I bump into people then even without a book in hand.
Here I'm allowed everything all of the time

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Wed May 13, 2009 2:55 pm UTC

I'm far too uncoordinated - I need to look where I'm going.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed May 13, 2009 3:13 pm UTC

I can't read and look where I'm going at the same time (unless I'm reading signs etc) so for the safety of others and myself, I either walk or read. I get to involved in books to do both at the same time properly. If I can miss my stop reading, which I have done, I can certainly plow into people or walk into the path of a car reading.
Rice Puddin.

alitheiapsis

Postby alitheiapsis » Thu May 14, 2009 4:11 am UTC

I had this perfected in elementary school. It was kind of ridiculous. I checked out two books from the library every day, read them that night, and checked out two more the next day. I'd basically read everywhere. In the hallways going to and from lunch, at the lunch table (once my friends kind of ditched me because I read at the table instead of talking), in class, etc.

I've done it in my high school hallways too, though it's slightly riskier: you could get cursed at if you're going too slow or accidentally hit someone. Usually I don't unless I have a quiz that I'm not confident about or something like that. Still, it is possible, and you don't need a lot of coordination (this coming from someone who never, ever plays sports and has terrible aim) to pull it off. :)

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Thu May 14, 2009 5:11 am UTC

I've also been known (rarely) to read while driving ... but only in a small town.

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Fri May 15, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

I sometimes read The Canterbury Tales on my cellphone while walking.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri May 15, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

I once saw this woman walking down a bust street reading a book, her eyes never left its pages yet she walked round people, missed a lamp post at the last second and crossed two roads.
I only know this because I followed her down the street, I was hoping she'd walk into the lamp post :D
Ⓞⓞ◯

Ratio

Postby Ratio » Sun May 17, 2009 12:34 am UTC

If I don't end up walking into everything, the book isn't good enough.

Terpsichore

Postby Terpsichore » Sun May 17, 2009 10:54 am UTC

I do it an awful lot; I was one of these kids who read the whole time in the transition between schools at 11, because I was in a totally alien environment with girls a year older than me who were all psychotic :|
I still have a reputation for it, although I do it less often nowadays because my friends usually end up hiding all my books for days if they catch me, and the fights can get a bit nasty :P.

My headmistress still remembers me as 'the girl who reads down staircases'. Amongst other things.

Gentlelady

Postby Gentlelady » Sun May 17, 2009 11:58 am UTC

cathrl wrote:I'm far too uncoordinated - I need to look where I'm going.

This is me exactly. I can't multi-task while standing up and walking.
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.

steewi

Postby steewi » Tue May 19, 2009 2:10 am UTC

I read always while walking. Especially at the moment (really good book!).

On occasion people stop me and ask how I do it without running into things. The trick is to check where you are at the end of each paragraph and know where you're going. And stop and look when you get to roads.

On just as many occasions I get people yelling shit at me from cars because apparently reading is stupid. *shrugs*

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 19, 2009 3:29 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:I once saw this woman walking down a bust street reading a book, her eyes never left its pages yet she walked round people, missed a lamp post at the last second and crossed two roads.
I only know this because I followed her down the street, I was hoping she'd walk into the lamp post :D
Eh, so long as you keep the book out enough, your peripheral vision is all you need to avoid large obstacles.

...Small obstacles, like uneven sidewalks, small children and the like... those are more difficult to avoid.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Tue May 19, 2009 3:51 pm UTC

When I'm reading I like to at least attempt to give the book full attention, and this isn't going to happen whilst walking, not to mention when I have tried it it's never ended well!
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sat May 23, 2009 7:32 pm UTC

If I've got a book that I can easily hold, and I'm walking alone, I'll probably read it. I just have to make sure I don't keep walking past my destination (a few times I've had to walk back to my house from the other end of the street, that's about it).
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Mon May 25, 2009 1:00 am UTC

This has become such a habit for me that my leaving-the-house routine goes something like this:
*GG grabs backpack, slings onto back, pulls out book*
*Grandfather spots GG about to open front door*
Grandfather: Have a good day! Don't bump into anyone on the footpath! And put the book down while you cross roads, at least!

...It's a bad habit, and it works.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

ssbookyu123

Postby ssbookyu123 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:20 am UTC

Funny story about reading while walking once in 8th grade I accidentally walked out of school reading a book and when I read and walk I only stop for cars and pay attention to what is directly in front of me. So the vice principle was cruising the streets looking for me an immensely fat teacher was chasing me and a very pissed math teacher was trailing.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon May 25, 2009 11:05 am UTC

I generally only read while walking in airports. Train stations are too busy (London ones, anyway). I'm not actually bad at reading while walking down the street, but I tend to walk fast which you can't do if you're reading.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon May 25, 2009 1:23 pm UTC

Only audiobooks. I use them while running.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon May 25, 2009 1:30 pm UTC

I think I'd stop paying attention to anything if I read while I walked.
Either that or I wouldn't pay the book enough attention.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Tue May 26, 2009 11:43 pm UTC

When I was a kid and too young to walk round town alone, I used to buy comics (generally the Beano, Buster or Sonic the Comic) and read them while walking alongside my mum.

Never since then, though - and it was only ever comics, never prose.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:04 am UTC

I did this all the time in elementary school (as in, before I had real friends (as in, friends who didn't yell at me for using big words)). I was always really good at it. I've found it's better to read and walk when you're short, as none of your obstacles are smaller than you or hard to see.

I'm in High School now, and I still do this, but less often. Ususally, it will occur when I'm either really invested in a book, or none of my friends go the same direction as me to my next class.

And really, you don't have to be particularly coordinated to do this at all. Even when I'm not reading, I'll find myself running into walls or doornobs or people or trashcans or anything else within a two-foot vicinity. I'm actually somewhat better at walking when I'm reading, as I'm paying attention to something and have to keep my eyes open and focused (instead of staring into space and daydreaming)
Last edited by animeHrmIne on Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:16 pm UTC

I am completely unable to read and walk, I can never give the book enough attention to get the most out of it. Fortunately I have a a half hour bus ride into town before I walk up to college so I can get a good bit of reading done then.
I don't think a naturally fast walking pace is good either, unfortunately one of my friends also has a really quick walking place to the point that by the time either me or her realises we've left the rest of our group behind and have no idea where we are.
I also very rarely walk alone for distances that make it worth getting a book out, almost always have friends heading the same direction. In a few months when I get to uni and am living in the city it may start happening more though. I like walking around in the middle of the night, but in the countryside without streetlights that needs a torch as well, and holding a book, torch, and not tripping over on uneven roads in the dark is something I still haven't mastered.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

JonBanes

Postby JonBanes » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:54 pm UTC

I used to work grounds at CU-Boulder and the grounds crew there has some nicknames for some of the people who hangout around campus (Boulder is a safe-haven for crazies). There is one girl who they call 'walking-girl' cause all she does is walk around campus, several times a day. Not too fast not too slow, always she has on a coat (Colorado gets hot in the summer, i'm talking 95 degrees for several days hot) and a huge backpack. She never responds to a friendly hello or anything else and she is always reading... and walking.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:16 am UTC

The only time I ever got lost was doing this. Walking with my family, enjoying the wonders of a new Animorphs book, I sadly did not realise that they had turned into the chemist and kept on walking for quite a while. So worth it.

Walking while reading is fun. It is not good wasting your time just walking when you could be doing so much more.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

MHD

Postby MHD » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:10 am UTC

I simply can't.
EvanED wrote:be aware that when most people say "regular expression" they really mean "something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a regular expression"

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:25 am UTC

It's how I dislocated my shoulder... reading a newspaper while stepping into a train = bad idea :oops:
Quack!

screech

Postby screech » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:43 am UTC

Reading while walking is for amateurs. I read while riding my bicycle.

(Admittedly I do it less now that I've realised exactly how dangerous it probably is.)
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

Return to “Books”