Hunter S. Thompson (Merg'd wi' Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas)

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Lithium33

Hunter S. Thompson (Merg'd wi' Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas)

Postby Lithium33 » Sat May 16, 2009 1:27 am UTC

Just read this one today. I thought it was great and batshit insane. Hunter S. Thompson is pretty awesome. What did you all think of it?
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." Hunter S. Thompson

"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all." Neutral Milk Hotel

functionally_stupid

Re: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Postby functionally_stupid » Sat May 16, 2009 5:56 am UTC

It's all right. For pure, unadulterated batshit insanity, I like mine William S. Burroughs, "Naked"-style. Best read in one sitting, late at night.

Lithium33

Postby Lithium33 » Sun May 17, 2009 5:53 am UTC

functionally_stupid wrote:It's all right. For pure, unadulterated batshit insanity, I like mine William S. Burroughs, "Naked"-style. Best read in one sitting, late at night.

I read it in one sitting. I tend to do that with books. Hunter S. Thompson is awesome. Fear and Loathing on The Campaign Trail '72 is next on my list.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." Hunter S. Thompson

Azukius

Postby Azukius » Sun May 17, 2009 8:16 am UTC

Man this book is awesome, I just read it yesterday and I was astounded to see it here the next day. But yeah, wierd book.
Don't like evil dinasours in hats who delete accounts. :(. not cool.
Live in NZ? Don't like the Government? Change it!

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Sun May 17, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

One of my favorite novels, love the hell out of it. :D

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sun May 17, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

Awesome rollercoaster ride :mrgreen:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

BMW787

Postby BMW787 » Mon May 18, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

Awesome book! I especially liked how they show how the book was "written", by using the tape recorder. Somebody was telling me that in a documentary he explains that he has it running all the time so he can remember what went on.

I love how because it was the 60's they could get away with all that crazy stuff. Imagine trying to do that today.
"I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence." -Ricky Bobby

"Grow up and do coke like an adult." -Daniel Tosh

Lithium33

Postby Lithium33 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:27 am UTC

BMW787 wrote:Awesome book! I especially liked how they show how the book was "written", by using the tape recorder. Somebody was telling me that in a documentary he explains that he has it running all the time so he can remember what went on.

I love how because it was the 60's they could get away with all that crazy stuff. Imagine trying to do that today.

If you want to be technical it was '71. And Hunter S. Thompson could get away with whatever the hell he wanted to.

I'm reading Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72 and it is just as interesting. Great political book so far.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

I picked up and read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas after learning that Spider Jerusalem was inspired by Hunter S. Thompson. I found it rather disappointing.
Lithium33 wrote:I'm reading Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72 and it is just as interesting. Great political book so far.
This one I may have to check out, then, pretty sure my library has it too.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:09 am UTC

Lithium33 wrote:I thought it was great and batshit insane. Hunter S. Thompson is pretty awesome.

This about sums up my thoughts on it.
I'm addicted to bad ideas, and all the beauty in this world.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:10 am UTC

sorry for the slight tangent, but in reference to how we're calling it "batshit insane"... did that bit about being plagued by huge bats START the expression batshit insane?
uhhhh fuck.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:26 am UTC

I would guess that the term "bats in the belfry" would be a more likely origin, but I have no idea myself.

Also, holy fuck, the poster of that one Ralph Steadman illustration from Fear and Loathing is insane when you're tripping.
I'm addicted to bad ideas, and all the beauty in this world.

Korbl

Postby Korbl » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:30 am UTC

JayDee wrote:I picked up and read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas after learning that Spider Jerusalem was inspired by Hunter S. Thompson. I found it rather disappointing.
Lithium33 wrote:I'm reading Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72 and it is just as interesting. Great political book so far.
This one I may have to check out, then, pretty sure my library has it too.

Similar, here. Although I wasn't disappointed. I loved Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Glmclain

Hunter S. Thompson

Postby Glmclain » Mon May 24, 2010 11:44 am UTC

The search didn't show anything, sooo: Hunter S. Thompson! Love him, hate him?

Right now I'm reading "Fear and Loathing: On The Campaign Trail 72'" and it's very interesting. 72' was well before my time and I have almost no interest in it (the election) at all, and yet I find everything in this book just fascinating. I've also read the quintessential "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and next I believe I'll read "The Great Shark Hunt."

So what about you guys?
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

Argency

Re: Hunter S. Thompson

Postby Argency » Mon May 24, 2010 12:51 pm UTC

Love him. I love the passage in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas where he talks about "the great wave of optimism" of the sixties, and how you can see the high-water mark where it broke on the hills around hollywood. I can recommend Kingdom of Fear, I think its his best.
Gonna be a blank slate, gonna wear a white cape.

cv4

Re: Hunter S. Thompson

Postby cv4 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:01 pm UTC

I actually just read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Really liked it. His other stuff is now on my list of stuff to read.

^_^

Re: Hunter S. Thompson (Merg'd wi' Fear & Loathing in Las Ve

Postby ^_^ » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:59 pm UTC

Ah man, Hunter S Thompson is a genius [in some sense =P] Fear and Loathing is probably my favourite of his books. I'm quite partial to the movie, too. Which is odd for me, to enjoy a movie based on a book I love. =P

peters

Re: Hunter S. Thompson greenesbooks

Postby peters » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:09 pm UTC

Hi,
Just read this recently and got so excited I went online at Ebay and bought a beasutiful signed copy from greenesbooks. Best book I have ever read by Thompson and even better than my other favorite "Hell's Angels". He is the absolute best author for this free flowing "gonzo" journalism. I recommend this to anyone who has seen the movie or read any of his other works. I was so jazzed to find a signed copy, I got rid of my paperbacks. Going to try and buy all of his works in hardcover. :D

RabbitWho

Re: Hunter S. Thompson (Merg'd wi' Fear & Loathing in Las Ve

Postby RabbitWho » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:20 am UTC

I found Fear and Loathing really dull.
"So then we went to the post office and the woman behind the counter was a porcupine."
I traded it for a Kafka hoodie when I was 17. \m/

Return to “Books”