I need a book recommendation (Renamed : Recom'd me a book)

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: I need a book recommendation (Renamed : Recom'd me a book)

Postby Angua » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:27 pm UTC

Aldarion wrote:Does anyone know a good book about robots/AI replacing humanity on Earth? I'd especially love it if the extinction of humanity is presented as a good thing (no more pollution, no more wars, machines won't be cruel and stupid etc.), rather than a dystopic disaster.

I can give you 'Friendship is Optimal' MLP fanfiction.

I can't really think of many things that have robots replacing humanity as a good thing. Alistair Reynolds is quite favourable to the Conjoined (humans with an interlinked consciousness via nanites) but the rest of the humans in that universe don't like them, and there are laws governing AI.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:38 pm UTC

Aldarion wrote:Does anyone know a good book about robots/AI replacing humanity on Earth?
Some of Stanisław Lem's lighter stuff is set in a universe where all the people are machines, and the protein entities who built the first few generations are mere lengends from time immemorial. You don't get to see the replacement though, and it's not limited to Earth.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:33 pm UTC

Max Gladstones Craft Sequence is pretty neat. Kind of campy, but doing the right thing.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:28 pm UTC

In the last while (years I guess) I have been encountering many mangas with the premise of reincarnating with your memories in a different world (and others were you are just transported to it of course), I kinda find the concept interesting but the manga are usually wish fulfillment crap. Are there any good books with that premise?

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:47 pm UTC

I couldn't think of any in the few seconds before going there, but tvtropes has a few suggestions for Trapped in Another World. None (or very few) of the books listed in litterature seems to involve reincarnation however.

Now I think of it, I liked Planet of Adventure (Jack Vance) which they didn't classify in this trope, although that is mostly pulp adventure.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:47 pm UTC

I can't vouch for the quality, but the movie (or maybe it was a miniseries) was interesting

Riverworld
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:33 pm UTC

River World has some interesting plot devices, Grail Stones and killing yourself to travel, among others. And historical characters as protagonists. Including Goering, Twain, and Richard Francis Burton. An interesting one I just fished is the Girl With All The Gifts, an interesting spin on Zombies. I Am Legend with a child as protagonist.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:49 am UTC

Aldarion wrote:Does anyone know a good book about robots/AI replacing humanity on Earth? I'd especially love it if the extinction of humanity is presented as a good thing (no more pollution, no more wars, machines won't be cruel and stupid etc.), rather than a dystopic disaster.
A bit late to the party, and not robots or AI, but The Ragged World entertains a world that needs saving from humans because we suck, and a possible outcome where we get eliminated for the good of the planet.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.

Return to “Books”