I need a book recommendation (Renamed : Recom'd me a book)

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Re: I need a book recommendation (Renamed : Recom'd me a boo

Postby Kewangji » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

I would like some engaging, story-focused sci-fi. Currently really into Banks' Culture, for a guideline. The non-textbooks/non-children's books I'm reading at the moment feel too much like … uh, literary chores that I am put off them for now. Will pick up Inversions soon enough but would like to know if there's anything else I should pick up at the same time.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:I would like some engaging, story-focused sci-fi.
That's a pretty broad category. Have you read the Zones of Thought books? The Uplift books? Revelation Space?
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:
Kewangji wrote:I would like some engaging, story-focused sci-fi.
That's a pretty broad category. Have you read the Zones of Thought books? The Uplift books? Revelation Space?

I have not read Zones of Thought or the Uplift books. What are they about? :)

I have Redemption Ark; it took me ~4 months to finish and I enjoyed it eventually. Read Terminal World by Alastair Reynolds in a much shorter time, and Blue Remembered Earth took me the better part of a year. Have given up on him for now. :P
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:I have not read Zones of Thought or the Uplift books. What are they about? :)
They're both space operas. In ZoT, it turns out that the level of technology possible depends on distance from the galactic centre. As you get further out from where we are it becomes possible to do things like travel faster than light, build hard AI's and make brain-computer interfaces. If you get too much close to the galactic core, technology (and, eventually, one's brain) stops working. Crazy stuff happens that changes the fate of the entire galaxy.

The Uplift books are set in a universe where it's supposed to be impossible to attain space-faring levels of technology without being 'uplifted' by a parent species. Being uplifted involves receiving education and genetic engineering from the parent race, and most of the politics in the galaxy is centred around who gets to uplift which species to sentience. Human are unpopular because we apparently self-uplifted, which isn't supposed to be posible. We escaped being adopted by a parent species because by the time anybody took any notice of us we had already uplifted other species (chimps and dolphins). Crazy stuff happens that changes the fate of the entire galaxy.

Kewangji wrote:I have Redemption Ark; it took me ~4 months to finish and I enjoyed it eventually. Read Terminal World by Alastair Reynolds in a much shorter time, and Blue Remembered Earth took me the better part of a year. Have given up on him for now. :P
Startide Rising (the first Uplift book, sort of) would be a good choice if you don't want something in the "long enough to be used as a murder weapon" category.
He/Him/His/Alex

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

Okay, the Uplift stuff seems right up my alley, thank you. :D Why is Startide Rising the first one and not Sundiver?

The ZoT concept reminds me of Terminal World (I'm sure it was an inspiration).

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:Okay, the Uplift stuff seems right up my alley, thank you. :D Why is Startide Rising the first one and not Sundiver?
Sundiver is the first, but it's usually considered optional reading for the series as a whole. Startide Rising kicks off the plot arc for the rest of the series, and is generally considered much better than Sundiver. I've read the whole series except for Sundiver, FWIW.

I've not read Terminal World yet. Maybe I'll snag that one. :)
He/Him/His/Alex

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:13 am UTC

CJ Cherryh has several sets of books you might like. The Chanur series, where the main characters are basically feline and the human among them is seen as scrawny and hairless; the Foreigner series, where a shipful of humans was forced to land on a planet already occupied by a tech- savvy race; the merchant wars, which includes Downbelow Station and Cyteen.
The early parts of Weber's Honor Harrington stuff is good, but the quality drops off around book 6.
Much of Elizabeth Moon's stuff.
John Barnes's A Million Open Doors, where interstellar coomunication is returning to a separated galaxy of planets.
LeGuin's Hanish Stories.
Last edited by PAstrychef on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:57 am UTC

I love Le Guin but her stories are only rewarding at the end, for me. Hadn't heard of Cherryh or the others; will check them out if I see them. Thank you :)

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:17 am UTC

I have been consuming a lot of information on the origins of our current economic situation. I am wondering if anybody can recommend a book for me to pick up on the financial crisis. I have seen the four hour Money, Power, and Wall St. Frontline, and have also watched The Flaw. I'm basically looking for a book that can provide me with a deeper understanding of the factors at play here. I'm not afraid of books with a great deal of economic theory. I'd prefer to read something more concerned with analyzing the situation than getting on a soap box.
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

I would suggest The Mote in God's Eye.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Cinemal

Postby Cinemal » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:11 am UTC

Regarding the general thread; Chōhei Kambayashi's novels Yukikaze and Good Luck, Yukikaze are profoundly well-conceived science-fiction with deep (and direct) philosophical content.

Regarding a book on the economic crisis, Michael Lewis' The Big Short directly addresses a piece of that subject -- and his writing in general is consistently brilliant (one might suggest that Liar's Poker is as relevant to the current financial issues as any more recent book could be).

dogma72

Postby dogma72 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

The Selection by Kiera Cass

It's kind of a poor mans Hunger Games. It's really pretty good though.

Nem

Postby Nem » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

Can anyone recommend me a book on Haskell that isn't Learn you a Haskell or Real World Haskell? I'm finding those books really difficult to get along with.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

Hello everyone. I've been thinking of buying some Stephen King books. I loved The Stand, and I liked Night Shift very much as well. I'm somewhat familiar with his work, but I want some recommendations as to what I should look into. I'm definitely buying The Shining, and I'm sure eventually I'll end up buying more of his books later on, but I'd rather start with 2 or 3 in the meanwhile. My choices right now are : The Shining, It and Salem's Lot. I'm thinking later getting Carrie, Pet Sematary The Long Walk and Dead Zone, unless you think I should pick one of those instead of the 3 I mentioned before (except The Shining, I'm dead set on that one).

I know there's probably gonna be suggestions for The Dark Tower series, but I'd rather read his more horror (or less fantasy) books right now, and I don't really have the time for such a long series at the moment.

Also please feel free to recommend me other horror stories/books/authors. Can't promise to check them all out, but if it gets my interest I'll give it a try. I haven't read many horror books but mainly I have liked King's collection of short stories and Lovecraft's work as well.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

I really liked The Eyes of the Dragon. It wasn't horror really, but it was very good.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri May 23, 2014 3:10 pm UTC

I'm looking for a sci-fi or fantasy re-telling of the Count of Monte Cristo. The Stars My Destination was suggested, but I have already read it. Anyone have another?

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:42 pm UTC

emceng wrote:I'm looking for a sci-fi or fantasy re-telling of the Count of Monte Cristo.

That's very specific ...

The only regurgitated Monte Cristo I can think of is The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry, and that is set in the early Dotcom Age - not really fantasy or science fiction, apart from taking a few liberties with How Things Work. It's not my favourite Fry novel, but worth checking out I'd say.

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:59 pm UTC

Halp!

I like scifi and have not had enough exposure to fantasy to decide on it (but I imagine I'd be into it).
I like world building and strongly emotive characters.
I prefer complex plots.
I'd rather it be hopeful than bleak.
I have zero tolerance for disturbing things (nothing unsettling or creepy (gore and violence are weirdly not so bad but I don't prefer it)).
I LOVE dragons and would be super pleased with a female protagonist, though neither of these things are required.

Go go go!

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:10 am UTC

sarahnade wrote:Halp!

I like scifi and have not had enough exposure to fantasy to decide on it (but I imagine I'd be into it).
I prefer complex plots.
I have zero tolerance for disturbing things (nothing unsettling or creepy (gore and violence are weirdly not so bad but I don't prefer it)).
I LOVE dragons and would be super pleased with a female protagonist, though neither of these things are required.

Go go go!

Persistence of Vision
by John Varley.

It is science fiction.
It is a collection of Short Stories.

Each with Human Characters in Highly Unusual circumstances.
The Book Persistence of Vision was written by a person that may have truly loved human beings.

I remember the book as having Depth.
And Fun Stories.

One Story tells of a A Brother and Sister playing in pools of Mercury.
Safe in their Fancy Suits and Safe in Their Family.

My favorite one in the collection is the Mars Team.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1863 ... _of_Vision

I do not remember what, "Over Drawn at the Memory Bank" is about.
It is a provocative title.

EDIT:
I found it online.
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/ ... eb-service

You may enjoy Retrograde Summer.
I did.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:56 am UTC

sarahnade wrote:I LOVE dragons and would be super pleased with a female protagonist, though neither of these things are required.

Go go go!

You've read the Pern books, of course.
He/Him/His/Alex

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:54 am UTC

ahammel wrote:
sarahnade wrote:I LOVE dragons and would be super pleased with a female protagonist, though neither of these things are required.

Go go go!

I haven't!

*wiki searches*

0.0 yes please.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:15 am UTC

The Paksenarrion series by Elizabeth Moon is also nice.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:32 pm UTC

sarahnade wrote:
ahammel wrote:

Go go go!

I haven't!

*wiki searches*

0.0 yes please.

I just read some goodreads reviews and have decided against this one.
Spoiler:
A lot of the critical reviews cite an abusive relationship between the main characters and that she "comes around" to loving him. Not my cuppa.

PAstrychef wrote:The Paksenarrion series by Elizabeth Moon is also nice.
I'll check this out!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:39 pm UTC

How about the Pride of Chanur series by C J Cherryh?
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:38 pm UTC

Have you read His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:26 pm UTC

Angua wrote:How about the Pride of Chanur series by C J Cherryh?

I'll second this one!
And there are some very nice YA books about Pern without the sexual sidelines.
ETA: check out Elizabeth Hand as well.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:34 am UTC

sarahnade wrote:Halp!

I prefer complex plots.

Go go go!

Bit of a late reply to this, but if you're still reading the thread:

The Crown of Stars series by Kate Elliot.
It's fantasy, but heavily influenced by science fiction (the author is also a science-fiction writer).
Complex world, loosely based on medieval Europe.
Female protagonist, dragons (kinda), time travel, maths-based magic...

On the down side, given your comment about disturbing things, there are some pretty nasty scenes of abuse and rape
Spoiler:
of the female protagonist by one of the chief villains (a truly nasty piece of work). She doesn't come around to loving him, at all, but they're definitely affecting,
which you may find disturbing, which would rule it out.

Spoiler for actual (but minor) spoiler of the book.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:33 pm UTC

I am searching for a good urban fantasy book. Oh and should there be a love interest please let it not be a vampire of werwolf please.
Spoiler:
(I have read quite a bit urban fantasy with female MCs and there are so many vampire or wer LIs, so annoyingly many.) Werwolf love interests in UF tend to be all territorial and hierachical (and they tend to be pack alphas) and all Macho and I just usually find them annoying in the role of love interest. Vamps have their own problems and tend to exhibit behaviour I often find annoying. That is not universal but often the case (though I admit in the hollows I do ship Rachel Morgan with Ivy (ignoring the problems that might cause). I tend to ship many pairings where it is one sided and the interested party is open about it as long as I don't dislike the interested party. Also to be honest I am just a bit more likely to like female love interest. But I disgress.)
For me the romance part of stories tends to become a detriment if I constantly think: "He is a overbearing, worringly jealus ass, so what if he is hot?" or "he has killed innocent people just 100 pages/a book ago. A few books in this series earlier he was an antagonist, why are you interested in him? Does becoming a love interest give you absolution?"
I just prefer liking the person the MC flirts with

Anyway Urban fantasy, if romance ideally not a werewolf or vamp because I am tired of macho wolf alphas and slightly psychotic sexy vamps. Maybe I should make a list of books I already know but I have a hard time making lists like that from memory so I just hope to be lucky. No other specifications, long/short, complex or relatively simple - it does not matter that much, just please recommend wath you consider good.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:44 pm UTC

Have you read Zoo City?
He/Him/His/Alex

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:31 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:Have you read Zoo City?

No and the description I read makes it sound interesting, I will have a look. Thanks.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:19 pm UTC

You might enjoy Charles DeLint,mod you haven't read his stuff already. Definitely no vampires.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:05 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:
ahammel wrote:Have you read Zoo City?

No and the description I read makes it sound interesting, I will have a look. Thanks.

Might want to read the wiki page about South African pop music before you dive in.
He/Him/His/Alex

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:55 pm UTC

I enjoyed Zoo City despite failing to look the music stuff up first, thank you.

Pastrychef could you suggest a specific book from Charles DeLint? Can't decide which one I should try.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:48 pm UTC

Dang, I need to read more. I have Zoo City from a humble book bundle from like 3 years ago, and haven't read it. Have two DeLint novels as well, unread on shelves at home.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:20 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:I enjoyed Zoo City despite failing to look the music stuff up first, thank you.

Pastrychef could you suggest a specific book from Charles DeLint? Can't decide which one I should try.

The Little Country or Memory and Dream.
DeLint recommends the short story collection Dreams Underfoot as an entry to his city of Newford and it's cast of characters, who appear and reappear in many of his books. You can read them on their own, and just come to see the relationships as you do.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:34 pm UTC

Late to the party, but Urban Fantasy suggestions:

Sixty-One Nails. Interesting world creation and fun storytelling though not terribly compelling writing.
Crooked Little Vein. Extremely graphic.

I just read The Guiding Nose of Ulfant Banderoze, which was one of the most entertaining short stories I've read in ages. Sword and Sworcery to the max.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:18 am UTC

I just read worm (http://parahumans.wordpress.com/table-of-contents/) and am a bit exhausted by the endless conflict followed by bigger conflicts. (There are just so many and so detailed fights between people with superpowers, they are some of the most interesting fight scenes I have read but there were so many of them that I need something with another focus.)
I want something a bit calmer now. I prefer fantasy over scifi over other genres most of the time. Just give me a story with good characters with more peaceful periods than worm had. (For this purpose I count everything beside fights as peaceful even if they are just plotting how to best stab each other in the back. Or let's say heavier focus on dialog.) Just recommend me something with good characters / character interaction, preferably but not necessarily fantasy.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:36 pm UTC

The last fantasy I read was A Song for Arbonne. There's a certain amount of violence, but it's mostly plotting to stab one another in the back. That and singing courtly love songs. And screwin'.

It's better than I'm probably making it sound.
He/Him/His/Alex

addams

Postby addams » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:26 am UTC

What about, 'The Once and Future King' by T. H. White.
I know it is old. Still...It is a Book and it is Fantasy.

And; It is not all stabbing people.
Someone gets stabbed. (maybe)

It has been a long time.
The writing style may be dated.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

josewong

Postby josewong » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:40 am UTC

The Hobbit Book
The Prequel To The Lord Of The Trilogy Of Books

Return to “Books”