Steven Erikson - why does the man hates his readers?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ulc

Steven Erikson - why does the man hates his readers?

Postby Ulc » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:32 am UTC

I'm currently about to give up on The Malazan Book of the Fallen

It's beginning to seem like he must really hate his readers, I don't mind a story being complicated and I don't mind a large cast of characters

But this is getting ridiculous, I've just gotten to Reapers Gale and there's six and a half pages worth of characters, where each character get only one line. And because of the set up of his books, a good deal of characters that are encountered in the earlier books at not present at all.

I'm beginning to realise that if I am to read this book, I need to start over and keep a notebook with me at all times where I devote a couple of pages to each character, and make a note of significant events for them, and when they interact with other characters.

Is it just me that considers that a little more than what should be expected? It's a wonderful story, with lots of great characters, but his concept with intentionally confusing his readers are sort of getting old.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

APolaris

Re: Steven Erikson - why does the man hates his readers?

Postby APolaris » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:51 pm UTC

Have you tried reading James Joyce? Read just the first three episodes in Ulysses or Finnegan's Wake. Neither Erikson nor any other author will ever seem schizoid again.

Converge

Postby Converge » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:32 pm UTC

I actually just finished Reapers Gale and you know I honestly like his writing. At times it does become sort of frustrating(It took me 4 trys to actually finish the first book because of that but now I absolutely love them) but most of the time it just makes me want to keep reading so I can get back to Karsa/Icarium and some of the more interesting segments..

Captain Waffles

Postby Captain Waffles » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:06 am UTC

But this is getting ridiculous, I've just gotten to Reapers Gale and there's six and a half pages worth of characters, where each character get only one line. And because of the set up of his books, a good deal of characters that are encountered in the earlier books at not present at all.

Imagine an xkcd character interaction map for that!

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:48 am UTC

I finished Dust of Dreams this weekend and this problem was the worst it's ever been. Damn near every character from the previous books makes an appearance and there's very little done to remind you of what's important about them.

Return to “Books”