"The house of desires" by Kipling?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

quantropy

"The house of desires" by Kipling?

Postby quantropy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

I've been reading The Total Library, a collection of essays by J.L. Borges. At the end he has lists of books (which can also be found at http://www.interleaves.org/~rteeter/grtborges.html). I've been going through this list, downloading any which are public domain. So I got to 20: Rudyard Kipling, The House of Desires. But a search for that just brings up references to this list, (and a few junk pages). Now I think that Borges wrote the list in Spanish and it has been translated into English, so does anyone have any idea what story this might refer to?

justaman

Re: "The house of desires" by Kipling?

Postby justaman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:47 am UTC

From a look on Spanish wikipedia and some judicious searching for quotes and of google translate, it seems that the story is called "The House of Wishes" in Spanish, but it is probably "Debits and Credits" in English... hope this is correct, some Spanish speaker, who has read a Spanish publication, can probably correct me.

Edited to add:
Further looking indicates that it is a short story called "The Wish House" found in "Debits and Credits".
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

quantropy

Re: "The house of desires" by Kipling?

Postby quantropy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:16 pm UTC

Thanks for that - and now a search brings up this page at the top. Now that I know the correct title, I've found http://therumpus.net/2009/08/searching- ... -of-babel/ which has a more thorough version of the list, with links to online copies of the stories where available. It seems that the Kipling work is still copyrighted :x in the USA, and so not on project Gutenberg. I'm not entirely sure why, as Kipling died in 1936. But I live in the UK, where it seems that the copyright has expired. :)

Return to “Books”